Warhammer - The Old World

Gareth 🍄

On 4/1/2023 at 11:55 PM, Noserenda said:

Yeah a lot of computer game fans like to rag on AoS but they arent going to play the game regardless, its the same IP but computer gaming is nothing like actual wargaming as a hobby. Took me a few years to realise why i just dont like most computer wargames, including total war, well except Arena

TWW players : " We hate AoS ! AoS is trash ! It killed WFB ! GW bad !"

AoS players : "Have you even played it ? Painted an AoS mini ? Or looked at the lore a little bit ?"

TWW players : "No !"

AoS players : "Have you even played a game of tabletop wargaming in your life ?"

TWW players : .......................................

On 4/2/2023 at 9:37 AM, Beliman said:

But the usual "AoS is trash" is not something that I want to be reminded every few minuts and that's my experience every time that someone talks about AoS.

You don't understand. If those people don't whine about AoS at least once a day, they could have a heart attack. They're not just haters. This is a question of life and death for them !

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Obviously just subtle Lion advertising as he’s 40k’s version of GK. ;) 

image.jpeg.0c41470dd0014af897d533b0089d0ac6.jpeg

(but seriously wouldn’t read much into it unless you think Grom & Felix are showing up too from their past celebration videos. Like I wouldn’t be surprised at them reusing the model eventually but nothing super hinty)

Edited by Baron Klatz
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Baron Klatz said:

Obviously just subtle Lion advertising as he’s 40k’s version of GK. ;) 

(but seriously wouldn’t read much into it unless you think Grom & Felix are showing up too from their past celebration videos. Like I wouldn’t be surprised at them reusing the model eventually but nothing super hinty)

The GK still makes sense as special character coming back as he was already "him" during the new timeline, being the spirit of Gilles,so maybe a new model will come with the new game.
I'm just hoping Tow will start with some Bretonnian love (ironic, as a Dawi lover first and foremost now i want cavalry?maybe the air thinned my beard and brain as the old longbeeards would say XD).

Edited by Snorri Nelriksson

16 hours ago, Snorri Nelriksson said:

The GK still makes sense as special character coming back as he was already "him" during the new timeline, being the spirit of Gilles,so maybe a new model will come with the new game.
I'm just hoping Tow will start with some Bretonnian love (ironic, as a Dawi lover first and foremost now i want cavalry?maybe the air thinned my beard and brain as the old longbeeards would say XD).

Talking about the timeline. Do you know how possible will be to see something about Vampire Coast for The Old World? I'm fascinated by them

I would find it pretty funny that they have been throwing nonstop articles about Tomb Kings and Bretonnia, BUT those two factions would not even be in the first 4 releases. Like they would even releases a brand new faction before them lol.

Went back and checked the other leaker (Valrak) to refresh my memory. He says the first four being play tested were Tomb Kings vs Bretonnia, Dwarfs, and Vampires.

• 2 weeks later...

Another Development Diary that should probably have been posted here first. Whoops!

Q: Are the models getting bigger?

A: No, the new models will be in the same scale as the returning range from Warhammer Fantasy Battle. The base size change has come about because some of those ‘90s and ‘00s models became difficult to rank up, and we’re taking the opportunity to fix the problem. It will mean that newer models joining the range can be more dynamically posed, but proportions remain the same.

Do I need to rebase my old army?
If you’re playing at home there’ll be no requirement to rebase anything. For casual play, the size of base will make a minimal difference to gameplay. The rules will be written assuming the new larger base sizes – so if you’re planning to play competitively, you might want to upgrade to larger bases,

Q: How do I know the correct base size for my models?

A: Base sizes will be given in every model’s profile.

Q: Can I take my old armies to organised play events?

A: Sure! But organised play events (tournaments, campaign events, etc) will probably require armies to be based appropriately for the new game (or on an appropriate movement tray). Organised play requires some standardisation and this is the best way to do it. 

Q: Will we be able to buy bases?

A: Yes. All models in the Warhammer: The Old World range – including returning models – will be supplied with the correctly sized bases. We’ll also be selling bases and movement trays.

Carrying on the discussion from the Rumour Thread, it'll be interesting to see what 'cross-compatible' models are retained in AoS. EG Dispossessed. 

Edited by Clan's Cynic

2 minutes ago, Snorri Nelriksson said:

I don't like the fact they're putting back into production kit that are already old and not updating them.

I'd be honest,a starter box with some of those is just imho a bad move.

Hoping resin kits will be at least remade(questing and grail knights at least).

I think the issue with not reproducing old kits is that there'd simply too much to update to get everybody playing from Day 1, or even within the first year. 

At least this way people with existing collections can dive right in, while buying up those bits-and-pieces they might have missed out on when WHFB went kaboom and AoS squatted a lot of it (EG all the Dwarf artillery and basic troops).

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, Snorri Nelriksson said:

I don't like the fact they're putting back into production kit that are already old and not updating them.

As long as I can get a hold of at least three Necrosphinx kits, I do not really mind the wait for new kits. Have you guys and gals seen how much TK stuff goes for? I could by actual relics from Egypt at lower costs.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Twisted Firaun said:

As long as I can get a hold of at least three Necrosphinx kits, I do not really mind the wait for new kits. Have you guys and gals seen how much TK stuff goes for? I could by actual relics from Egypt at lower costs.

Tk kits of 8th edition makes senses though at least.

Bretonnian knights from 6th do not imho.

Still at least scalpers will get what they deserve.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Snorri Nelriksson said:

Tk kits of 8th edition makes senses though at least.

Bretonnian knights from 6th do not imho.

Still at least scalpers will get what they deserve.

I was pretty surprised they did't update those Bretonnians. Look at the chunky spears on those Men-at-Arms!

I really thought they would at least update the knights. Well, I guess as an upside, Bretonnia players can now pick up better looking models for cheaper than GW will offer.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Snorri Nelriksson said:

Tinfoil hat time : maybe they will start by selling the old kits put "up to date" with upgrade sprues, seeing if they're popular, then decide if they upgrade them or not with modern plastic. A bit like the "cadian upgrade sprue" they pulled for the old cadians that gave them good looking heads, while the 2023 redo of the kit was still in the oven. Which is a really convoluted approach to marketing your minis, but in the short term it can work. Long term though... an upgrade sprue can carry you so far. 

That or as the Brets weren't really that popular an army in WFB (even during 6th) they don't want to invest much into them. Brets only became a big deal after their range got arrested. 

• Like 1

From recent experience with MESBG, decades old, low detail models kind of rule because I actually finish painting units of them

Unless they're Finecast, in which case...no

I appreciate the article's firm hand on the shoulder/"listen, you're 40 years old, you're not going to paint 12 Knights of the Realm with unique freehand heraldry schemes. Alright?" message

Edited by Jefferson Skarsnik
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I'm pretty confused by the strategy. Your core units are the best selling kits, the ones that people will buy multiples of. It seems very strange to keep or bring back old core kits but make new plastics for elite kits which will sell in smaller quantities. 

Initially I could imagine a variety of scenarios 

1- Do a few key characters in plastic, a few new kits in resin but mostly just use old kits.  This is the middle earth model. 

2- Do a couple of core kits in plastic for each faction, update old  metal units in resin and use old kits to fill in the gaps.

3- Use old kits as stopgaps but do a couple of ranges in full plastic each year.

4- Just go all new. 

The preview doesn't suggest any of these. If I hadn't seen last month's preview I would have assumed we were doing things Middle Earth style but the previewed bits suggest more than that. 

I'm starting to think that the rumours of this actually being quite a small project are true. 

Maybe they learned from horus heresy. No models for the new players other than expensive resin from forgeworld. I'd rather take old models to fill my old armies rather than get nothing. Of course it would be nice to get new shiny models but have to face reality at some point...oh well maybe next year or year after that if ToW sells.

• Like 1

To be completely honest, returning models like Bretonnia saps a lot of my enthusiasm. There’s a reason I didn’t buy them in the first place, and that was 10-15 years ago. They’re just going to look worse next to any new models unless they deliberately hamstring new models, which they’ll still charge loads for. 

• Like 2

I'm not surprised to see this, although I am a bit disappointed. Still so much up in the air about the project, not really a fan of the super slow drip of information. I think it works for a new announcement like 10th edition 40k, but I would much prefer to get an overview of what the hell they are actually planning. How many factions are they planning and how are they going to be represented? Army Books? Cards? Compendium? There are lots of new plastic kits coming but for what? It's been years and for a company of this size it's getting a bit frustrating tbh. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Still-young said:

To be completely honest, returning models like Bretonnia saps a lot of my enthusiasm. There’s a reason I didn’t buy them in the first place, and that was 10-15 years ago. They’re just going to look worse next to any new models unless they deliberately hamstring new models, which they’ll still charge loads for. 

I predict a lot of Dawnbringers being proxied for Bretonnians if the weapon options work out at all. The quality gap will just be too big to ignore if you see those models next to each other.

• Thanks 1