Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Still-young

AoS 2 - Ossiarch Bonereapers Discussion

Recommended Posts

19 hours ago, CorvoMaltes said:

Do you guys thnik we´ll get a start collecting next month? I was thinking on buying some stuff since we didn´t get a battleforce..

I am almost 100% sure they will get a box soon. Depending on the Broken Realms book they are in. They seem to be doing that for all the armies included.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we do get a start collecting, there's a good chance it'll just be the OBR half of the feast of bones box.  In which case, I'm not convinced it would be a particularly good way to 'start collecting' OBR, or even to expand on an existing force.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What are the best units in this army? I’ve got one of everything mainly to paint but to play what’s recommended?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SirSalabean said:

What are the best units in this army? I’ve got one of everything mainly to paint but to play what’s recommended?

  • Mortek Guard - medium to lots.
  • Mortek Crawler - 1/thousand points is probably a good number.
  • Either Katakros or a Liege Kavalos, maybe both, never neither imo.
  • the Nexus.  It's free, after all.

Those are the best units / the essentials.  At least, in my opinion, and from what I can tell from tourney lists I've seen.

Other units worth considering include:

  • Soulmason - an efficient multicast wizard with a decent signature spell.  lack of casting & unbinding  bonuses keeps them out of the list of essentials, but still perfectly playable.
  • Boneshaper - some recursion, some casting, not too pricey.  As with the mason, lack of casting & unbinding bonuses holds them back, but not so much as to stop them from seeing play.
  • Harvester - if you can reasonably get opponents to target nearby morteks instead of going for the harvester first, it'll more than pay for itself in improved efficiency of the mortek unit.  If the opponent has the ranged offense or other capability to target the harvester first, however, then you were better off just buying another ten morteks and pocketing the 70 point difference.   So it's too situational to go on the staples list, but not bad enough to go on the 'don't run it' list.
  • Deathriders - a faster unit to chase objectives or smaller support units or just gum up the path of .  Reasonably tough, but not all that hitty.  Not really efficient enough to make for the foundation of a functional cavalry army, or even a 'must have' unit otherwise, hence not in the staples, but with the mortek core of your army being so very slow, having at least something with some speed to it can be very helpful.

Boarderline stuff that probably isn't good enough to consider 'competitive', but isn't so terrible that you're shooting yourself in the foot by even thinking about it:

  • Nagash.  He's no longer the undisputed top dog of magic, and there are a growing number of factions out there that can take him down without much trouble, especially after the petrifex nerf.  But there are still enough armies that /can't/ easily deal with him that I wouldn't go so far as to call him unplayable, even if I wouldn't expect him to show up on tournament top tables any time soon.
  • Arkhan.  Much like his bone daddy, Arkhan was hurt by the petrifex changes and probably isn't efficient or, especially, durable enough to be considered properly competitive.  Still, in a casual context he's not completely unplayable, and he is your best caster option outside of Nagash, so if you want to go magic heavy while still fielding something resembling an actual army, there's reason to at least consider him.
  • Zandtos - with artefacts, a regular liege is probably better, but that depends on what your obligatory artefact is.  Even so, Zandtos isn't far enough behind to call him outright bad, and in particular is a decent option for Praetorian lists in low point games where Katakros is a bit much.
  • Necropolis Stalkers - like Nagash and Arkhan, Stalkers leaned hard on the petrifex armor bonus and without it are kind of hard to justify, on account of being just on the wrong side of too fragile for their points cost.  Still, they do have respectable offensive inefficiency, and are very fast for an OBR unit, especially on the charge with their CA.  But for their recent point decrease they'd be in garbage tier.  They maybe still should be, but they're cool models and I'm not quite ready to tell you to give up on them altogether.
  • Morghast Harbingers with Glaives - not very offensively or defensively efficient, particularly post petrifex nerf, but OBR is lacking in both speed and flying units, and harbingers can in theory help with that.  I'm probably being too geneour putting them here, but I have a soft spot for them, so it's hard for me to say they're completely terrible.
  • Endless Spells - none of them are awful, but you shouldn't go out of your way to deploy them.  If you have some leftover points and took at least one wizard then they're worth considering - particularly the shrieker in any list that doesn't take katakros - but you also might just leave the points unfilled and hope for a triumph.

Display Cabinet Tier.

  • Vokmortian - such a shame that such a cool model is just kind of bad, but in the end there's really no denying that Vokmortian is a more expensive soulmason with worse signature spell and casting rules.  He wants to be way up close to the enemy, but isn't tough enough to survive there and doesn't reward you enough for taking that risk.
  • Soulreaper - as with vokmortian, the reaper is a fantastic model but a terrible unit due to being a wizard that wants to get in close but doesn't really reward you for doing that.  You might field it as part of a trident, and it's bonus to cast scythe item is nice if you even have a spare artefact slot, but mostly it's just a dud entry on the table, which is too bad.
  • Morghast Archai - the ward vs. mortals just isn't worth bothering with now that mortals don't stack.  Flatly worse than harbingers who still probably aren't good enough to justify the 'borderline' position I put them in.
  • Immortis Guard - too expensive for a few extra wounds on a hero.  For non-named heroes, you're better off spending the same points on another hero.  For the big expensive named heroes, well if you take nagash then you won't have room, and if you take anyone else then once you tack on immortis you get close to the point where you might as well be fielding Nagash for all the army you'll have left.  As a unit unto themselves they're reasonably tough, but their offense just doesn't pack enough points to really threaten anything.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Sception said:
  • Mortek Guard - medium to lots.
  • Mortek Crawler - 1/thousand points is probably a good number.
  • Either Katakros or a Liege Kavalos, maybe both, never neither imo.
  • the Nexus.  It's free, after all.

Those are the best units / the essentials.  At least, in my opinion, and from what I can tell from tourney lists I've seen.

Other units worth considering include:

  • Soulmason - an efficient multicast wizard with a decent signature spell.  lack of casting & unbinding  bonuses keeps them out of the list of essentials, but still perfectly playable.
  • Boneshaper - some recursion, some casting, not too pricey.  As with the mason, lack of casting & unbinding bonuses holds them back, but not so much as to stop them from seeing play.
  • Harvester - if you can reasonably get opponents to target nearby morteks instead of going for the harvester first, it'll more than pay for itself in improved efficiency of the mortek unit.  If the opponent has the ranged offense or other capability to target the harvester first, however, then you were better off just buying another ten morteks and pocketing the 70 point difference.   So it's too situational to go on the staples list, but not bad enough to go on the 'don't run it' list.
  • Deathriders - a faster unit to chase objectives or smaller support units or just gum up the path of .  Reasonably tough, but not all that hitty.  Not really efficient enough to make for the foundation of a functional cavalry army, or even a 'must have' unit otherwise, hence not in the staples, but with the mortek core of your army being so very slow, having at least something with some speed to it can be very helpful.

Boarderline stuff that probably isn't good enough to consider 'competitive', but isn't so terrible that you're shooting yourself in the foot by even thinking about it:

  • Nagash.  He's no longer the undisputed top dog of magic, and there are a growing number of factions out there that can take him down without much trouble, especially after the petrifex nerf.  But there are still enough armies that /can't/ easily deal with him that I wouldn't go so far as to call him unplayable, even if I wouldn't expect him to show up on tournament top tables any time soon.
  • Arkhan.  Much like his bone daddy, Arkhan was hurt by the petrifex changes and probably isn't efficient or, especially, durable enough to be considered properly competitive.  Still, in a casual context he's not completely unplayable, and he is your best caster option outside of Nagash, so if you want to go magic heavy while still fielding something resembling an actual army, there's reason to at least consider him.
  • Zandtos - with artefacts, a regular liege is probably better, but that depends on what your obligatory artefact is.  Even so, Zandtos isn't far enough behind to call him outright bad, and in particular is a decent option for Praetorian lists in low point games where Katakros is a bit much.
  • Necropolis Stalkers - like Nagash and Arkhan, Stalkers leaned hard on the petrifex armor bonus and without it are kind of hard to justify, on account of being just on the wrong side of too fragile for their points cost.  Still, they do have respectable offensive inefficiency, and are very fast for an OBR unit, especially on the charge with their CA.  But for their recent point decrease they'd be in garbage tier.  They maybe still should be, but they're cool models and I'm not quite ready to tell you to give up on them altogether.
  • Morghast Harbingers with Glaives - not very offensively or defensively efficient, particularly post petrifex nerf, but OBR is lacking in both speed and flying units, and harbingers can in theory help with that.  I'm probably being too geneour putting them here, but I have a soft spot for them, so it's hard for me to say they're completely terrible.
  • Endless Spells - none of them are awful, but you shouldn't go out of your way to deploy them.  If you have some leftover points and took at least one wizard then they're worth considering - particularly the shrieker in any list that doesn't take katakros - but you also might just leave the points unfilled and hope for a triumph.

Display Cabinet Tier.

  • Vokmortian - such a shame that such a cool model is just kind of bad, but in the end there's really no denying that Vokmortian is a more expensive soulmason with worse signature spell and casting rules.  He wants to be way up close to the enemy, but isn't tough enough to survive there and doesn't reward you enough for taking that risk.
  • Soulreaper - as with vokmortian, the reaper is a fantastic model but a terrible unit due to being a wizard that wants to get in close but doesn't really reward you for doing that.  You might field it as part of a trident, and it's bonus to cast scythe item is nice if you even have a spare artefact slot, but mostly it's just a dud entry on the table, which is too bad.
  • Morghast Archai - the ward vs. mortals just isn't worth bothering with now that mortals don't stack.  Flatly worse than harbingers who still probably aren't good enough to justify the 'borderline' position I put them in.
  • Immortis Guard - too expensive for a few extra wounds on a hero.  For non-named heroes, you're better off spending the same points on another hero.  For the big expensive named heroes, well if you take nagash then you won't have room, and if you take anyone else then once you tack on immortis you get close to the point where you might as well be fielding Nagash for all the army you'll have left.  As a unit unto themselves they're reasonably tough, but their offense just doesn't pack enough points to really threaten anything.

Thank you so much!! I have one of everything ordered primarily for the paint project, but it’s handy to know what to build them as and what to expand on. What are the best weapons for Mortek guard? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Swords are best, for both guard and riders, the rend mattering more than the reach or charge bonuses.  Spear armed units aren't worthless, in a casual context you're not throwing the game away by fielding some spears if you happen to prefer them aesthetically, but yeah, swords are better.

The greatsword "upgrades" are optional in swords-armed units - being only fractionally better unbuffed, and not benefitting from the weapon buff spell.  IMO not worth the time it takes to roll the attacks separately.  However, if you do go with spears for aesthetic reasons, then always take the maximum number of great swords, so you can get at least some rending attacks in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/20/2020 at 11:44 AM, Sception said:

Swords are best, for both guard and riders, the rend mattering more than the reach or charge bonuses.  Spear armed units aren't worthless, in a casual context you're not throwing the game away by fielding some spears if you happen to prefer them aesthetically, but yeah, swords are better.

The greatsword "upgrades" are optional in swords-armed units - being only fractionally better unbuffed, and not benefitting from the weapon buff spell.  IMO not worth the time it takes to roll the attacks separately.  However, if you do go with spears for aesthetic reasons, then always take the maximum number of great swords, so you can get at least some rending attacks in.

To add; Spears only show benefits for Mortek Guard in units of 30 or 40, since they have a 2 inch reach for 25 mm bases, so everyone of those get in combat

Add to this with Petrifex elite. and you can give all those 30 or 40 spears -1 rend , which is nothing to sneeze at for 60 or 80 attacks

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

to be clear, even in large petrifex units, swords will still be more reliably useful in more situations against more opponents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Preparing for a double Crawler List and would like opinions between the following two lists. I think the first is probably stronger but much harder to pilot, whereas the 2nd is more forgiving... but 5 drops instead of 4 feels like a big difference so I'm unsure. 

 

Mortis Praetorians

Katakros - 500 (General)

Boneshaper - 130 (Empower Nadirite Weapons)

 

Mortek Guard x 20 - 260

Mortek Guard x 10 - 130

Kavalos Deathrider x 15 - 480

 

Crawler - 200

Crawler - 200

 

Mortek Balistari - 100

 

2000/2000

 

OR...

 

Petrifex Elite

Liege Kavalos (General) - 200

Godbone Armor, Mighty Archaeossian

Boneshaper - 130

Empower Nadirite Weapons

Bonemason - 140

Gothizzar Cartouche

 

Mortek Guard x 20 - 260

Mortek Guard x 20 - 260

Kavalos Deathrider x 15 - 480

 

Crawler - 200

Crawler - 200

 

Mortek Balistari - 100

Bone-Tithe Shrieker - 30

 

2000/2000

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In both cases I think you're not fielding enough mortek guard.  Maybe shift some of the investment in deathriders over to more morteks?   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Nasrod said:

Preparing for a double Crawler List and would like opinions between the following two lists. I think the first is probably stronger but much harder to pilot, whereas the 2nd is more forgiving... but 5 drops instead of 4 feels like a big difference so I'm unsure. 

 

Mortis Praetorians

Katakros - 500 (General)

Boneshaper - 130 (Empower Nadirite Weapons)

 

Mortek Guard x 20 - 260

Mortek Guard x 10 - 130

Kavalos Deathrider x 15 - 480

 

Crawler - 200

Crawler - 200

 

Mortek Balistari - 100

 

2000/2000

 

OR...

 

Petrifex Elite

Liege Kavalos (General) - 200

Godbone Armor, Mighty Archaeossian

Boneshaper - 130

Empower Nadirite Weapons

Bonemason - 140

Gothizzar Cartouche

 

Mortek Guard x 20 - 260

Mortek Guard x 20 - 260

Kavalos Deathrider x 15 - 480

 

Crawler - 200

Crawler - 200

 

Mortek Balistari - 100

Bone-Tithe Shrieker - 30

 

2000/2000

I agree with Sception, that perhaps a little low on Mortek. 

I guess you are worried about the crawlers being shot if you are taking the balistari battalion? If so, I think 20 mortek is quite the investment to dedicate just to protecting the crawler. Similar with the deathriders, 15 in one unit is a lot and may be quite difficult to navigate around the board. 

Using the Petrifec list, I would switch it up to something like this: 

- Liege - Helm of the ordained

- Boneshaper - Could take Godbone armor

- Soulmason - Could also take Godbone armor (up to you)


Battleline

Mortek x 20

Mortek x20

Mortek x10 

Kav deathriders x 5

Kav deathriders x 5
 

Art.
Crawler

Crawler

Batt.

Kavalos Lance

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I’m planning on getting and painting katakros later on in a few months or so but I’m still struggling to find a scheme I like. 
 

I was thinking the null myriad scheme as I like the black bone and purple. I’m think with katakros though if all the army are black he’s be white bone but as they are samurai themed i was going to do gold in all the cracks and such to resemble Japanese gold repair pottery. What do people think? Can anyone help me with the colour scheme, I want to go traditional Japanese with the bases so green grass, rivers, blossoms etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, SirSalabean said:

So I’m planning on getting and painting katakros later on in a few months or so but I’m still struggling to find a scheme I like. 
 

I was thinking the null myriad scheme as I like the black bone and purple. I’m think with katakros though if all the army are black he’s be white bone but as they are samurai themed i was going to do gold in all the cracks and such to resemble Japanese gold repair pottery. What do people think? Can anyone help me with the colour scheme, I want to go traditional Japanese with the bases so green grass, rivers, blossoms etc. 

This might be helpful although perhaps not what your after.

Katakros, Painted By Pros - Warhammer Community (warhammer-community.com)

 

Edited by El Syf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello everyone, I've lurked here for a little while and now I'm going to post for the first time. I'll jump straight to the point, I am back to fantasy after a 4 year hiatus, I've got a few games of AoS 2nd edition under my belt with my Seraphon list (made a list using older 8th edition models), and I'm looking to keep expanding my army variety with Ossiarch Bonereapers! Since the models I currently use are a little...lets say dated...I'm very excited to be using more current models! And what a set of models! Very cool spooky skeletons!

My friends currently using Kharadron Overlords which I've struggled against in the past due to their movement and deepstrike so I'm hoping to come up with some list ideas to combat them a little. I have bought 2 boxes of mortek guard, 1 gothizar harvester, and 1 mortek crawler and so I'm trying to come up with a 2k list using what I've purchased so far and then I'll purchase whatever else I need once said list is finalized. 

Ideas! 

Petrifex Elite, Shyish 

Leaders

Liege Kavalos - General, Mighty Archeossian, Godbone Armour

Arkhan the Black, Mortarch of Sacrament 

Mortisan Soulmason -  Gothizzar Cartouche, Empower Nadrite Weapons 

Units

20x Mortek Guard - Nadrite Blade, shield - 2 Greatblade

10x Mortek Guard - Nadrite Blade, shield - 1 Greatblade

10x Mortek Guard - Nadrite Blade, shield - 1 Greatblade

3x Necropolis Stalkers 

Behemoths 

1x Gothizar Harvester - Soulcrusher Bludgeons 

Artillery 

1x Mortek Crawler 

Batallions/Endless Spells

Mortek Shield-Corps 

Nightmare Predator

Bone-tithe Shrieker

1990/2000 points! 

My plan is to keep the Harvester with my block of 20 guard and push an objective with the boneshaper behind them. I figured a soulmason can buff up the crawler turn 1/2 for some shooting while a unit of guard stick back to watch the flank. Eventually the Soulmason can edge forward to soulguide the stalkers. The stalkers and other unit of guard + Kavalos will  push forward on the opposite end of the block of 20 guard + Harvester Arkhan will stay as far away from the shooting/combat as he can and whip out spells + healing. 

So that's it, any comments, critics or concerns are greatly appreciated! Thank you :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...