AoS 2 - Ossiarch Bonereapers Discussion

Still-young

I'm going up against an OBR player with two crawlers as Hallowheart. Please give me tips on how to beat you guys!

I'm very scared of the crawlers, as I'm running weak mages and low bravery Freeguild units. My army is heavy on shooting and magic, while being guarded with a wall of 40 guards. Usually I Soulscream bridge the entire blob in and take out a few key units on turn one. 

Any suggestions on what I can do to counter them? Should I run with a unit of deepstriking Shadow warriors, or perhaps prismatic palisade? 

Also, how many drops is a typical OBR army?

24 minutes ago, Rune said:

I'm going up against an OBR player with two crawlers as Hallowheart. Please give me tips on how to beat you guys!

I'm very scared of the crawlers, as I'm running weak mages and low bravery Freeguild units. My army is heavy on shooting and magic, while being guarded with a wall of 40 guards. Usually I Soulscream bridge the entire blob in and take out a few key units on turn one. 

Any suggestions on what I can do to counter them? Should I run with a unit of deepstriking Shadow warriors, or perhaps prismatic palisade? 

Crawlers need line of sight so use the terrain to your advantage as much as possible to avoid getting your wizards picked of early. A failed save will kill a wizard if wounded by a full profile crawler shot for 5 damage.

If you can get anything engaged with the crawler you have rendered it useless due to the 6" minimum range, it does not matter what, just get something in their and it is 200 points of plastic standing around, which is much better than actively trying to kill it. Dealing 3-4 wounds at range can be useful though, just to lower the damage enough to not one shot a wizard outright, but your focus is better used elsewhere, especialyl if you can get them engaged rather early with  the bridge for example.

The mortal wound output by hallowheart does well against the reapers, also mortek guard can only reroll saves in combat, so picking them of with handgunners is ideal, even petrifex mortek guard will "just" be at a 4+ save without rerolls. Screen with cheap stuff, guard with swords and shields, or flagellants if you have them, they dont care about the rend of the reapers and if some flee you can hurt him bad too.

If he has a harvester close to mortek guard, don't try to kill them first, either let that deathstar be and focus elsewhere, or go for the harvester first.

Don't try to outbrawl him in combat, be smart with engagements and if he uses larger units, engage them on flanks to keep them from piling in effectively and extend the lifespan of your screen, while your ranged units and magic does the damage. 

I don't know what types of models you have for cities, as mentioned at least handgunners and ranged with some kind of rend will be good, start as much out of line of sight or in cover as possible to minimize the danger of catapults picking of your heroes and squishy ranged units, it does have 0 rend after all.

If you have them, shadow warriors are good as well, the reapers have no deep striking or teleporting, so the threat of an ambush unit alone will force him to dedicate guards for the catapults, if 110 pts of 10 shadow warriors can force a unit of mortek guard to chase them around the catapults, thats a good thing, and their shooting with rend will just make it hard for your opponent to trust a 10 warrior unit to get the job done, so he might dedicate even more to guard his backlines, which makes the rest easier to deal with for you.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Rune said:

Why dont you just play against him and make your own experiences? I cant believe people are so afraid of losing that they even ask for counterplay options in the other armies forum... how disgraceful. 

Hope he wins without doing so. 

Nothing personal, just my opinion on the matter.

• Like 2
  • Confused 8

9 hours ago, Rune said:

Ignore the hater, you shouldn't be ashamed for trying to do some research ahead of time.

The crawlers will definitely be a problem so if you're able to sneak a unit with Soulscream Bridge to his back line and put pressure on the crawler that'll definitely help.

Might be more helpful to know what list you're running. Most of the OBR lists I've seen run at most one battalion so around 5 drops maybe? A more experienced player could probably chime in better.

Edited by relic456
  • Like 3

Yeah i am totally hating rooooaaaaar 👹

Whats the point in playing against a new army if you didnt beat him on your own but the internet did. 

Thats just general criticism about powergamers. Sure its fine to read and ask questions about an army, but to ask players how to counter a certain list feels like activating „godmode“ in a videogame. 

Go on hating that opinion.

• Confused 2

5 minutes ago, Phasteon said:

Yeah i am totally hating rooooaaaaar 👹

Whats the point in playing against a new army if you didnt beat him on your own but the internet did. 

Thats just general criticism about powergamers. Sure its fine to read and ask questions about an army, but to ask players how to counter a certain list feels like activating „godmode“ in a videogame. 

I could hate on that pretty easily. We're playing an army that is currently seen as the new slaanesh. 

I don't see anything wrong at all in making sure he can compete and make it an enjoyable game. 

Sounds like you're already playing with cheat codes on if you're playing OBR 😙

Rich

Edited by StokieRich
  • Like 4

23 minutes ago, StokieRich said:

I could hate on that pretty easily. We're playing an army that is currently seen as the new slaanesh. 

I don't see anything wrong at all in making sure he can compete and make it an enjoyable game. 

Rich

I see it somewhat often in other army forums I occasionally skim, players having an issue with certain army so they ask the players of that army "Hey, what are your weaknesses?".

I don't really see anything wrong with it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Phasteon said:

"It's fine to read and ask questions" and then in the same sentence you say some questions aren't fine. It's delusional (or terrible hyperbole) to think that asking for advice against a new army is the equivalent of God Mode in a video game. 

Either way, you shouldn't try and make someone feel bad for wanting to learn. That's textbook anti-intellectualism. 

1 hour ago, Phasteon said:

With pleasure.

@Rune Also what points level are you guys playing? 2k? And do you know what Bonehost they're going with? I'm just assuming its Petrifex but if it's another one that might switch things up.

Edited by relic456
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, StokieRich said:

And what do you think you are? Some kind of morale instance? 

There is a clear difference between asking for advice against an army or for a „counter“ against a specific list because you are „scared“ of losing. 

Calling me hyperbolic or some other random things doesnt make you look smarter. 

If you feel like helping him to counter the „broken new slaanesh army“ by all means do so. Its still my right to write my opinion about it. As i said, it wasnt personal, just a general thing I observed and wanted to point out to maybe make him think about it or maybe dont. 

Why you need to get personal when you werent even talked to says enough about yourself. 

• Confused 6
  • Sad 1

34 minutes ago, Phasteon said:

And what do you think you are? Some kind of morale instance? 

There is a clear difference between asking for advice against an army or for a „counter“ against a specific list because you are „scared“ of losing. 

Calling me hyperbolic or some other random things doesnt make you look smarter. 

If you feel like helping him to counter the „broken new slaanesh army“ by all means do so. Its still my right to write my opinion about it. As i said, it wasnt personal, just a general thing I observed and wanted to point out to maybe make him think about it or maybe dont. 

Why you need to get personal when you werent even talked to says enough about yourself. 

If calling people a Moron is your kinda normal, then I think the conversation is over. (such that it was) 

Lots of things I could say, very little interest in carrying on the conversation. 

Enjoy life. 

Rich

• Like 3

Listen @Phasteon, I'm sure you're a wonderful person, but what I think we are taking issue with is you discouraging someone from trying to learn because of your personal views. When you said Rune's question was disgraceful, that was pretty personal. We've established you think this is poor form and that myself and a couple others don't. Probably not much more that can be said. You can get the last word if you want, but I think we should switch back to OBR discussion.

• Like 4

MODERATOR NOTICE

Users are free to ask whatever questions they wish of the community provided that they do not breach the forums code of conduct/rules. If you believe a question or post is in poor taste or of risk then report the post to the moderators for attention. If you wish to disagree with someone that is fine, however conduct yourself in a polite and respectful manner. Do not resort to slinging mud/insults at each other just because you disagree on a viewpoint. 

And now back to your Regular Reaper Show. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, StokieRich said:

Rich

Is that really the perception?? That's hilarious. OBR is nowhere near as broken as Slaanesh 3 keeper summoning shenannigans right now. It's just good solid units that have healing and do good damage.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, LordPrometheus said:

Is that really the perception?? That's hilarious. OBR is nowhere near as broken as Slaanesh 3 keeper summoning shenannigans right now. It's just good solid units that have healing and do good damage.

Yea certainly initial indications point that way. 

The stats show on honest Wargamer has then at a 69% win rate atm which whilst early days indicates they're pretty powerful. 

I've had 4 games atm with a few different lists so only a small sample size but they've performed exceptionally well for me and I'm inclined to agree they are very good. 

My concern is the mortek guard that are supposed to be tanky and do a great job on a 3+rerollable, but are also very, very punchy as well. (I charged and just took off gordrak before he attacked last week) 

I do think people will learn to play against them and the meta will shift to adjust, but my impression is that they're fantastic and I've not come close to losing yet (I don't think this is my ability, although I know how to play a little) 

I've run 3 lists so far and all seem very good, I think you'd struggle to write a poor list:

nagash with 2x10 Deathriders, 20 mortek, boneshaper.

Katakros with 2x10 Deathriders, soul Mason, 40 mortek guard, crawler. 

Katakros with Soulmason, 2x40 guard, 10 guard, crawler, mortek shield corps, carrion. 

Interested to hear what people are struggling against, I think maybe missions like 3 places of power or ones with 4+objectives? 

Rich

@StokieRich, @relic456, @arcian, appreciate you guys being so friendly. The community is honestly really awesome, both locally and on here. I'm a new player, with limited time to actually play (something like a game a month). So some of the most enjoyment I find is theory crafting with peers between games. The mods have spoken so I'm going to leave out answering anything else (yikes so hard to hold back though).

@scurvydog, wow cheers! Very thorough answer. Thanks for taking the time to write all that up. I'll keep those pointers in mind during the game.

@relic456, we are playing with 2000 points and yeah exactly looking for tips in regards to Petrifex. 

Imagine I could deal 25 damage after saves (+3) to your units on turn one. What would you feel the worst about loosing? Based on the tips, and on finishing the 1d4 page on OBR I'm thinking that if he has a Harvester that should die first. If he has one crawler I would also deal with that. But if he has two crawlers I would probably leave them and put the wounds into the Mortek Guard.

My list runs something like this, but I usually mix it up a bit:
Hurricanum
Knight Inventor
Battlemage
Battlemage or sorceress
40 freeguild guard
30 Handgunners
20 Crossbowmen
5 Pistoliers
Battalion
Comet, bridge, geminids, Shackles

I don't have a ton of options as I've only been in the hobby for a couple of months, but I wouldn't mind an excuse to buy new units :). I'm not building the list specially for OBR, but keen to make some changes so it doesn't just fold to OBR. Considering a spellportal for instance, to nuke the guards more.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Rune said:

Imagine I could deal 25 damage after saves (+3) to your units on turn one. What would you feel the worst about loosing? Based on the tips, and on finishing the 1d4 page on OBR I'm thinking that if he has a Harvester that should die first. If he has one crawler I would also deal with that. But if he has two crawlers I would probably leave them and put the wounds into the Mortek Guard.

The crawlers can be pretty dangerous. While they don't have rend, they do deal 5 damage on wounds which could be pretty bad if your support heroes take a hit. Their special ammo might also be some cause for concern.

The harvester is killy, and can bring back guard. So taking it down quickly would probably be best, yeah. Do you know what kind of heroes the OBR player is running? Something like Katakros or Arkhan can bring a lot of pain.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, StokieRich said:

The stats show on honest Wargamer has then at a 69% win rate atm which whilst early days indicates they're pretty powerful. 

If be interested to see a trend line for the win rate for the first three months of an army after it gets a new book, especially for armies that are essentially completely new.

I would imagine that new armies come out on fire and then normalize as time passes. I really do think that the biggest factor in early success is people not knowing how to handle The New Thing.

Edited by Sleboda

I think the best trend survey for ossiarchs would be the win rates comparing the different subfactions - sometimes we talk about an army as a single force; however subfactions within can make quite a big difference. Sometimes an army is fine but one subfaction has the edge. 

8 hours ago, Sleboda said:

If be interested to see a trend line for the win rate for the first three months of an army after it gets a new book, especially for armies that are essentially completely new.

I would imagine that new armies come out on fire and then normalize as time passes. I really do think that the biggest factor in early success is people not knowing how to handle The New Thing.

yes, the honest wargamer touch on this a bit in the podcast, apparently they have seen similar strong starts before, namely FEC/Skaven/Slaanesh. if you look at eg sylvaneth or ogre mawtribes there is no apparent "new book boost" though, so I would think actual power level of the book is really more important than the New Thing factor..