Still-young

So I'm taking this list against my first opponent tomorrow 

Boneshaper : reinforce battleshields / godbone armor and the +2 wounds trait

Soulreaper: arcane command

2X20 mortek guard

Mortek crawler

Bone-tithe shrieker

1000/1000

My opponent is a skaven player, specifically skryre so I'm expecting a bunch of guns aimed my way. 

1 hour ago, Lopos said:

I have question about Katakros ability: supreme lord of the bonereaper Legions.. 

The second part of ability give +1 save to all mortis pretorian unit but with the prime necrophoros this ability work with 36" range and on all ossiarc or change only range for +1 to hit? 

It extends the range of the entire ability, so any ossiarch bonereaper unit wholly within 36" gains +1 to hit, and any mortis pretorian unit wholly within 36" gains +1 to saves.

8 hours ago, Sleboda said:

My initial wave of Bonereapers has arrived. Now, unless I want to stick with my normal plain basing scheme, I need to look for a company that does resin bases in the full range of sizes that come in this model range.

Anyone got suggestions?

I've been using Dragon Forge Design for my entire Death Collection so far (Broken Wasteland set). I have an order in place for everything in the OB range.

3 minutes ago, Panzer said:

Oh wow that's some ancient website "design". They badly need someone who knows how to do stuff this century.

Really?

Jeff is a one man show, and spends all day making and designing  bases. Real good ones, too - been buying off him for almost a decade. Can't help but be rubbed up the wrong way by that comment.

Hi there, did some math and it is such a shame Morgahsts compare so poorly with Stalkers and Immortis guard :(  based in a petrafix army.

image.png.a0bab62d287fdc7c755122650562179a.png

Morghasts need to cast 170 odd points to fall in the mid range of defensive and offensive capability for stalker/immortis.

Costing them at 210 is insanity...

Im so sad 😢 

3 minutes ago, Dracan said:

Hi there, did some math and it is such a shame Morgahsts compare so poorly with Stalkers and Immortis guard :(  based in a petrafix army.

image.png.a0bab62d287fdc7c755122650562179a.png

Morghasts need to cast 170 odd points to fall in the mid range of defensive and offensive capability for stalker/immortis.

Costing them at 210 is insanity...

Im so sad 😢 

Can anyone help me understand why Morghasts are more than 70 pts each?

Morghasts do have the 5+++ vs mortal wounds or the charge 3d6 thing, they have fly and M9. so they have something stalkers/immortis do not.

But still they are way overcosted as is.

Reckon the problem they have is sadly the duality in their loadout.

They should have made harbingers sword only bump up the attacks to 7 or 8 and made archia halberd only making the 5+++ save vs all wounds not just mortals, then they would be worth their current point cost.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheKingInYellow said:

Crawler should be hilarious against Skaven.

The crafty ones bring MSU of Plague Monks.  The guy I know would get the pot on a maxed clan rat battlines.  Other than that I’d throw three shots at different elite units and hope to knock them down a unit size buff rank.

@Sception

Wow, thank you. You put a lot of effort into that mini guide. Thanks.

There is a lot to think through. Based on what you write I guess I will go for both ways of assembling. Not at once. I mean - have an army that is fun to paint and one that is more competetive. Comparing Stalkers and Immortis I think that the first is better but I like the look of Immortis more. Same goes with Mortek Swords and Spears. Maybe while having 2 boxes of FoB I will assemble both 1 of each, just for the sake of cool appearance, and later on prospectively get 1 extra set of either of them.

Sadly, Morghast seem to be the least competetive although I think they are one of the best looking models in AoS. They are most likely to be droped from my 2k list. So far I like sth like this:

Allegiance: Ossiarch Bonereapers

Leaders
Vokmortian, Master of the Bone-tithe (180)
Mortisan Boneshaper (130)

Battleline
20 x Mortek Guard (260)
- Nadirite Blade and Shield
20 x Mortek Guard (260)
- Nadirite Spear and Shield

Units
3 x Necropolis Stalkers (200)

Behemoths
Mortek Crawler (200)
Mortek Crawler (200)

Battalions
Mortek Ballistari (100)

Total: 1730 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 99

Probably need more leaders. Need to read more into warscrolls.

Thanks again for your help. It will take a while to complete those OBR.

1 hour ago, Tronhammer NZ said:

Really?

Jeff is a one man show, and spends all day making and designing  bases. Real good ones, too - been buying off him for almost a decade. Can't help but be rubbed up the wrong way by that comment.

Not sure why you would be rubbed up the wrong way by that comment or what it would have to do with him as person. It's just what it is.

4 hours ago, Aryann said:

@Sception

Wow, thank you. You put a lot of effort into that mini guide. Thanks.

There is a lot to think through. Based on what you write I guess I will go for both ways of assembling. Not at once. I mean - have an army that is fun to paint and one that is more competetive. Comparing Stalkers and Immortis I think that the first is better but I like the look of Immortis more. Same goes with Mortek Swords and Spears. Maybe while having 2 boxes of FoB I will assemble both 1 of each, just for the sake of cool appearance, and later on prospectively get 1 extra set of either of them.

Sadly, Morghast seem to be the least competetive although I think they are one of the best looking models in AoS. They are most likely to be droped from my 2k list. So far I like sth like this:

Leaders
Mortisan Boneshaper (130)

Battleline
20 x Mortek Guard (260)
20 x Mortek Guard (260)
- Nadirite Spear and Shield

Units

Behemoths
Mortek Crawler (200)
Mortek Crawler (200)

Battalions
Mortek Ballistari (100)

Total: 1730 / 2000
Wounds: 99

Probably need more leaders. Need to read more into warscrolls.

Thanks again for your help. It will take a while to complete those OBR.

Well, you need a third battleline and you only generate 3 RD points automatically.  May want a liege kavalos and then get the 3rd battleline.

41 minutes ago, Emissary said:

Well, you need a third battleline and you only generate 3 RD points automatically.  May want a liege kavalos and then get the 3rd battleline.

How about this?

Leaders
Liege-Kavalos (200)
Mortisan Soulmason (140)

Battleline
20 x Mortek Guard (260)
10 x Mortek Guard (130)
10 x Mortek Guard (130)

Units

Behemoths
Mortek Crawler (200)
Mortek Crawler (200)

Battalions
Mortek Ballistari (100)

Total: 1940 / 2000
Wounds: 106

So the idea is to wreak havoc with Crawlers from afar guarded by 1 unit of 20 Mortek Guard and supported by Soulmason and Liege-Kavalos. Other units for objective capture. There is room left for an Endless Spell.

27 minutes ago, Aryann said:

How about this?

Leaders
Liege-Kavalos (200)
Mortisan Soulmason (140)

Battleline
20 x Mortek Guard (260)
10 x Mortek Guard (130)
10 x Mortek Guard (130)

Units

Behemoths
Mortek Crawler (200)
Mortek Crawler (200)

Battalions
Mortek Ballistari (100)

Total: 1940 / 2000
Wounds: 106

So the idea is to wreak havoc with Crawlers from afar guarded by 1 unit of 20 Mortek Guard and supported by Soulmason and Liege-Kavalos. Other units for objective capture. There is room left for an Endless Spell.

I'd drop the ballistari battalion for the shield corps one and add a nightmare predator to round out your points.  Shield corps is much better and you don't really mind the crawlers taking some wounds for better stele later.  Plus in petrifex they're already tough.  Also I'd you guard them only use a unit of 10.  The unit of 20 should be up the field fighting with endless duty, shield wall and bludgeon active on them along with enhance weapons and reinforce shields.   Truly terrifying unit.

• Thanks 1

@Aryann The second list is almost good.  Swapping ballistari for shield corps and adding a shrieker would help.  Note that the list as written isnt legal for a ballistari anyway, unlike the shield corps, ballistari doesn't give you a choice of caster hero, it requires a boneshaper specifically.

Also, if you're fielding 6 stalkers it's probably better to run them as one big unit instead of two smaller ones, especially as your rd supply is limited.  One unit is cheaper to buff, and hits all at the same time in the combat phase.  2x3 is still good and lets you spread your threats around a bit, try them both ways.

Longer term you'll definitely want to be able to field more battleline, and wull want the healing ability of a boneshaper, but in tge mean time this is good for now and a reasonable list to work towards.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Sleboda said:

Can anyone help me understand why Morghasts are more than 70 pts each?

Because they look like they should be.  They're huge and impressive models, more monster than unit, so they just look and feel like they should be 100+ points a model, and that's clearly caused someone in the dev studio's circuits to short out.

Frankly, I don't want them to cost less, I want them to be buffed until they're worth the cost they already have.  +2 wounds each, +1 attack each, an extra -1 rend on the swords, +1 move for harbingers, +1 save / -1 move for archai. 

Maybe swap out the archai's mortal shrug for the immortis's bodyguard ability, so they can do what their fluff says they do outside of a battalion.  Differentiate them from immortis by restricting the immortis bodyguard rule to non-monster heroes.

Definitely give morghasts in general a better signature ability than a bravery debuff.  Maybe instead an ability to force a non-death units within 3" to take a battleshock tests even if they'd otherwise be immune.   Not only would that be better than a bravery debuff, it would make all the other bravery debuffs in death armies worth something.  Maybe make it a command ability if it's too strong as a passive.

With all that, they'd finally be close to as strong and terrifying as their models imply.  They might even need to be more expensive than their current 105 points per model, but I'd be fine with morghasts costing more so long as they were actually worth the price and impressive enough to live up to both that their models.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Aryann said:

Sorry if this was mentioned earlier but I'm just curious if you guys have thought of decent Katakros list?

Here's a cursory crack at one:

- Legion: Petrifex Elite
Mortal Realm: Shyish
Katakros, Mortarch of the Necropolis (500)
- General
Mortisan Boneshaper (130)
- Artefact: Godbone Armour 
- Lore of Mortisans: Empower Nadirite Weapons
Mortisan Soulmason (140)
- Lore of Mortisans: Reinforce Battle-shields
20 x Mortek Guard (260)
- Nadirite Blade and Shield
20 x Mortek Guard (260)
20 x Mortek Guard (260)
Mortek Crawler (200)
Mortek Crawler (200)
Bone-tithe Shrieker (30)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 114

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Sception said:

Because they look like they should be.  They're huge and impressive models, more monster than unit, so they just look and feel like they should be 100+ points a model, and that's clearly caused someone in the dev studio's circuits to short out.

Frankly, I don't want them to cost less, I want them to be buffed until they're worth the cost they already have.  +2 wounds each, +1 attack each, an extra -1 rend on the swords, +1 move for harbingers, +1 save / -1 move for archai. 

Maybe swap out the archai's mortal shrug for the immortis's bodyguard ability, so they can do what their fluff says they do outside of a battalion.  Differentiate them from immortis by restricting the immortis bodyguard rule to non-monster heroes.

Definitely give morghasts in general a better signature ability than a bravery debuff.  Maybe instead an ability to force a non-death units within 3" to take a battleshock tests even if they'd otherwise be immune.   Not only would that be better than a bravery debuff, it would make all the other bravery debuffs in death armies worth something.  Maybe make it a command ability if it's too strong as a passive.

With all that, they'd finally be close to as strong and terrifying as their models imply.  They might even need to be more expensive than their current 105 points per model, but I'd be fine with morghasts costing more so long as they were actually worth the price and impressive enough to live up to both that their models.

Couldn't agree more.

There is a way to have Morghasts be -3 rend (already -2, a further -1 from Bludgeon), +1 to hit (helm of the ordained?), reroll 1's to hit (soulguide) can't remember) and +1 attack(Endless Duty). But it involves keeping 2 characters relatively near them.  I just love the models too much I suppose :(

Edited by El Syf
  • Like 1