Warcry- Idoneth Deepkin

Acid_Nine

First 1000 point list I'm building:

1 x Ishlaen Lochian Prince

1 x Morsarr Guard

3 x Namarti Thralls

4 x Namarti Reavers

I'm trying to make all my starting warbands have at least 9 fighters which I can then divide into 3 groups of 3. Because there are different victory conditions that require killing your opponents dagger/hammer/shield I feel I want to make sure they each have some staying power.

• Like 1

Sweet lists so far! I am a bit surprised that the morrsarr guard are not as strong as they are in AoS, but this is a completely new game after all. The ischealen are the clear winners in terms of eels in my opinion, giving just one extra attack that with strength three is probably going to come in handy, not to mention "tanking" hits with the shield ability

going off of what I have already (an all eel list) I splurged and got some extra reavers coming in the mail.

my list: 

ishealen prince

2x ishealean guard

1 morrsarr guard

2x reavers

6 bodies in total, but hopefully they last long enough to do damage and hit well, not to mention run circles around the opponent. Planning on having prince and two guard in shield, reavers in dagger and morrsarr in hammer.

22 hours ago, TMS said:

I'll be going with an all eel lis to start with. Assuming a 1000p start it'll be interesting to see if having a champion variant will be worth going giving up a 5th model.

Won’t you need one for the leader mark? 

28 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Won’t you need one for the leader mark? 

Yup, saw that as we were going through the rulebook. So I went with one Ishlaen prince and 3 Morrsarr guard. They're nice and fast but I was a little underwhelmed by their offensive punch. The strength seemed a little low, although I kept hitting things with T5... High Tide on turn 3 seems to be a big thing for Idoneth in Warcry as well and Morrsarr can spew out a ton of damage with their quad ability but I never got to use that one, unfortunately.

Edit: Though I've read on some places that having a leader is entirely optional but you can only ever have up to one... I'll have to read through the rules again.

Edited by TMS
  • Like 1

Got quite a few games of warcry in last weekend, though only used IDK in a couple matchups against untamed beasts. My list was:
1 x ishlaenn prince
1x morsarr guard
3x namarti thralls
4x namarti reavers

Won both matches mainly due to enemy misplay rather then strength of list. Ishlaenn prince is really strong with S4, and both prince and guard are tough enough to steal/hold objectives. The rest of the units are somewhat lackluster, with T3/8 wounds and S3 attacks just not quite enough to punch through enemies. Thrall's skills seems nice on paper but its much harder to pull off in comparison with iron golem's double skill. Shooting was also nice to have, but my reavers pretty much just held objectives. 

• Like 2

The Thrall abilities is the worse version of Sweeping Blow from other faction, which itself isn't even a good abilities. Unless GW introduce grass mowing in future expansion.

Doesn't matter since Thralls is the best 80 pts unit in the game.

How are Thralls the best 80 pt unit in the game? 8 wounds and T/S3 makes them seem pretty weedy to me. Same stats as goblins, more or less, for almost twice the points. 

I am honestly curious, because I definitely want them to be the best 80 pt unit in the game :D

35 minutes ago, Deepkin said:

How are Thralls the best 80 pt unit in the game? 8 wounds and T/S3 makes them seem pretty weedy to me. Same stats as goblins, more or less, for almost twice the points. 

I am honestly curious, because I definitely want them to be the best 80 pt unit in the game :D

The movement and  4 attacks 2/4 for 80pts is not bad. Yeah they may only be str 3, but they can hurt if they crit.

Thinking of going with a horde approach as I dont own any eels.

Namarti banner

Namarti thrall×7

Namarti reaver×4

1000 points exactly. Though I do lose access to our best abilities and will be looking to add at least one prince when I can.

Final list will probably be

Morsarr prince

Morsarr guard

Thralls×3

Reaver×4

In that list I can swap a morsarr guard to a Lothian guard and swap one reaver for a thrall. Not sure though.

Edited by The Red King

Posted this in a deepkin facebook group....

First your leader is likely best to be the Ishlean Prince, A second eel should likely be Morrsarr you are likely to get that quad 1-2 times a game, where you can actually use it. You can just run Morrsarr but the Ishlean Prince has a higher base attacks and a cool ability to protect him from crits in key turns, but I really think having one Morrsarr too for the blast 1-2 times a game would be really powerful.   

My first draft list...
1 Ishlean Prince 260
2 Morrsarr 400
2 Reavers 150
2 Thralls 160

This list gives you access to all the abilities, focuses on the eels, etc...  I want 2 morrsarr to have more control over where the blast is going to be if I roll that quad.

You can drop one Morrsarr and with the 30 remaining points pick up 2 reavers and a thrall.   Which I believe was listed earlier in this thread, but I think I want 2 Morrsarr

Edited by Nerdkingdan
  • Like 2

On 8/11/2019 at 4:55 PM, Deepkin said:

As written its not different, its just onslaught for reavers only, which is...pointless?

Sigh....   I had assumed onslaught was melee only but your right, Storm Fire is currently a bad ability, that begs the question if deepkin in warcry was play tested.   Or hopefully onslaught was just missing the under 3 portion.

Edited by Nerdkingdan

• 2 weeks later...

I played my Deepkin this weekend to start our campaign.  Played Untamed Beasts and Splintered Fang and won both, Splintered Fang would have been a hard matchup if it wasnt for the victory conditions.  Reavers were actually far better for me than Thralls and I think going forward I will probably have about twice as many of them in my list as Thralls.  Eels are nice, but i'm not sure they're worth the points to take more than 1 of each.

My list:

1 Ishlaen (Leader)

1 Morsarr

3 x Thralls

4 x Reavers

• Like 1

Played two games with the IDK myself, and won both as well. The Ishlaen prince is bloody mean, and both picked up the objectives I needed and killed a lot in my first game, and was a bulwark for my second game to tank hits even without the shield. 

The first turn ability also really ensures a round one engagement with the eels too. Popping that and the 10"  movement pretty much made the games I played where I was picking up treasure and hunting down a battle group pretty easy when I was able to swarm turn one

my list:

ishlaen prince

x2 ishlaen guard

x1 morrsarr guard

x2 reavers

• 6 months later...

The one mentioned above is strong

Ishlaen (Leader)

1 Morsarr

3 x Thralls

4 x Reavers

I played only against them ( both were ishlaen eels)

9 Models, extremely fast, good damage output, nice range combat.  Great for objective based  victory conditions.