The Rumour Thread

3 hours ago, Turgol said:

I do agree with you there. We do not have enough new characters and outside of Vandus, they normally feel irrelevant or unexploited. I do think GW has made an increasing effort to include new characters, but so far have failed to exploit it. This is not due to wanting to go back though! And bare in mind that from the start the survivors of the world that was were pictured as central, demigods and gods as they are. The heroic ordinary characters are those missing.

No i also don’t think it’s them trying to go back. But they do want to please and engage their older players. Maybe just because they are (mostly) long term fans themselves. 

3 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

Not sure I quite agree with this.  You've got a load of other characters out there - Callis & Toll, Gardus, Owain Volkner & Zana - and that's just "goodies" off the top of my head.

Yeah true, but 1. You need to read a lot of books to get all of their story. They don’t really interact with other storylines. They don’t really appear in other places, as far as I know, like how Thanquol was mentioned in the dwarf army book, skaven army book, own short stories, Gotrek saga etc. Makes it feel more whole. 

1 hour ago, Gecktron said:

Im sorry but how can you forget Ser Roggen? The greatest knight in the service of our lady Alarielle :P 

I think one of the biggest problems right now is not the lack of characters but the disconnect between tabletop heroes and black library heroes. I can understand why. Author like to have characters that are completely there own but the tabletop heroes need a few stories outside of the rulebooks to really establish themselves. Hell, the most Ive read about Brokk Grungsson  was in a rant from another character about this guy in "curse of the iron dragon". 

Excactly those little nuggets tie it all together! Love those. 

But to summarise my statements. I do recognise that it’s still developing all this. I’m really enthusiastic about it all but... I also recognise an earlier opinion that it still not feels like a totally new universe. It’s still very much an continuation of the old world. (For better or worse, I as an older player think better. Can’t wait to listen to Gotrek ?)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

Not sure I quite agree with this.  You've got a load of other characters out there - Callis & Toll, Gardus, Owain Volkner & Zana - and that's just "goodies" off the top of my head.

Was just going to say that I felt like the Callis and Toll book really explored the realm in an understandable way. I was very pleased with that story. 

Given the reaction people had to the blowing up of the Old  World I’m not surprised they put in some nods! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, alghero81 said:

Sorry a bit off topic but I did read it already a couple of times, who would have been reforged as Balthasar?

I personally think the idea of connecting the realms and also to add maps is because people couldn’t follow the plot in the new stories without something to relate to. Everyone from WHFB knew the Old World by memory, but what about the Great Parch? What was it? How did it fit with the rest? Creating connections I see it as a move forward not a return to WHFB

Nope. The connecting of the realms and adding maps are two, totally different things. You are misreading the word connection. The have outright hinted the realms will be/can be made into one realm/world. Not 'connected' to help people adjust to the size of infinite realms (which is also poor step back imo)

6 hours ago, Turgol said:

Eh, no? All characters that have returned were those whose ET stories were built as to make the transition: incarnates (+ mortarchs), Gotrek, Thanquol (skitterleaping at the end of his ET book to the realm of chaos), inmortal chaos daemons. The exception are the hints of old world human characters making it as Stormcasts. Balthasar Gelt is the most obvious hint. But it is just that: small connections to live up the idea that the realms were formed from and are the continuation of the WHFB world. Just listen to Realmslayer and you will see how well it can be made.

Realmslayer just adds more proof to my opinion. Small hints of the old world was fine. Excelsis was built around a shard of the old world. Thats a small hint/callback to the world that was (and done well) Bringing back Gotrek (even if done with quality production values) was always a dreadful idea. Bringing back a mortal character from the old world (one that had a damn good ending I might add) is just opening the flood gates for people to ask for all sorts of characters to return- people are already demanding Skarsnik to be returned (which I fully expect GW to do, they have hinted at it 'being possible ' in the realm of the narrative in the malign portents ending) But it's just removing more and more the uniqueness of AoS. (Mostly as a way to appease those people that are still complaining WFB was ''killed'' or set fire to their armies) 

The most important one is the return of the von carsteins and the recreation of Sylvania. Though it is an interesting concept, if they go anywhere with this then that will be the sign that they will start replacing more and more of AoS with old world locations and people. In which case they might as well just admit that getting rid of the old world was the wrong thing to do and go back to WFB and shoehorn in the handful of new armies to still sell the minis.

There are plenty of new characters, the amount of them isn't the problem. Its just the lack of doing anything imaginative with AoS since people started complaining that 'Aos was too large to comprehend'. It's just disappointing to me that they have these realms of infinite size and wonder and instead of exploring them, they'd rather shrink them down and explore stuff that they said only a year ago was 'dead and gone for good'. It's fine to have ties to the old world. But instead they are just porting the old world into the new setting and at some point the new setting will be just as stale and identical to the old one.

2 minutes ago, RexHavoc said:

Nope. The connecting of the realms and adding maps are two, totally different things. You are misreading the word connection. The have outright hinted the realms will be/can be made into one realm/world. Not 'connected' to help people adjust to the size of infinite realms (which is also poor step back imo)

Can you provide some sources?  I know i'm not entirely up to date with all the books and all that so it would be cool to see where this is stated.

7 minutes ago, Drofnum said:

Can you provide some sources?  I know i'm not entirely up to date with all the books and all that so it would be cool to see where this is stated.

Item 199- it is the most direct source of the gates/one world theory. There is a couple of other odds n ends mentioned, but some if it is really tin foil hat level stuff. But the fact page reads clear and is explicitly stated.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/10/19/20th-oct-500-facts-for-500-stores/

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, RexHavoc said:

Item 199- it is the most direct source of the gates/one world theory. There is a couple of other odds n ends mentioned, but some if it is really tin foil hat level stuff. But the fact page reads clear and is explicitly stated.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/10/19/20th-oct-500-facts-for-500-stores/

But we also have fact 404.  I wouldnt really take any of those facts as gospel. Uniting the realms would be a mistake I think, unless they are united and still infinite like they all just meet in the center and are infinite pie slices of a circle.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Jator said:

Looking at GW's webstore right now. Several items are "temporarily out of stock". Not only moonclan units (warboss and hoppers) but also vanilla orcs, boar chariot, and wolf riders.  Make of that what you will.

Two possible reasons (which can be happening at the same time);

1) The Moonclan teaser has confirmed it for many existing fans which has led to a big run on sale as people snap up models before the launch. Mostly older collectors filling in gaps and getting shiny new stuff before the Battletome drops. This would fast run stocks low as chances are they've not been selling strong and thus GW might not have a huge backlog already produced.

2) GW starting to repackage models for release for the new Battletome.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jator said:

Looking at GW's webstore right now. Several items are "temporarily out of stock". Not only moonclan units (warboss and hoppers) but also vanilla orcs, boar chariot, and wolf riders.  Make of that what you will.

They aren't out of stock on the Australian store although we have others out of stock, might just be for your region.

33 minutes ago, Jator said:

Hoppers are in stock in the USA too.  Anyway, Not sure how often you shop the GW store, but things are constantly out of stock.  They have a limited number of production lines, especially for resin stuff.  I see 22 out of stock kits/models, most of those resin.  They must be brewing a crazy soup!

2 hours ago, RexHavoc said:

Fact 404 says:

1. Some of these facts might not actually be true.

11 minutes ago, alghero81 said:

Thanks for the hint on Balthasar, read that book but missed that totally. I was actually wondering to what he was referring to but was afraid to ask in case was going to be described in a sequel.

On the rumour side, Realmslayer would ever be in paper format?

I prefer paper books too, but you should really give this audiobook a shot. It's very vivid and theatric with many voice actors / sound effects, etc.    At least for me in the US, I was able to get a free trial to Audible which gave me 1 free audio book. I picked this up and then immediately cancelled my trial (the audiobook you purchase with the token is yours to keep)

Hmm, a second Seraphon painting tutorial in week from GW. It could be nothing, but GW does see to like to drop subtle hints about upcoming releases, there’s been subtle GW community nodes to Beastmen and Moonclan with the whole thing about GW people building their second edition armies, especially when the the Stormcast podcast was going.  Makes sense to do new books for the older armies, especially the ones that aren’t really battletomes in the modern sense. I’ve personally heard rumors of second ed versions of old tomes, though they said Ironjaws and Fyreslayers, my source isn’t entirely first hand and has been known to color info I get with their own opinions. 

• Like 1

They could also be doing it because of the new battleforce boxes, I guess we'll see if they do any more painting videos for the other armies before they go up on the store. The first few battletomes could do with an update though so hopefully it is a hint that they're coming.

2 hours ago, Dirtnaps said:

They could also be doing it because of the new battleforce boxes, I guess we'll see if they do any more painting videos for the other armies before they go up on the store. The first few battletomes could do with an update though so hopefully it is a hint that they're coming.

Lets not forget seraphon kinda needs i dream an army rules for slann mages as of  know major bulk of seraphon armies are thought constructs slann mages. even they have spawning pools found we kinda need updated rules for summoning for most of old armies.

• Like 1