The Rumour Thread

20 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

They weren't launched that long ago.

It's not that they are old it's just that AoS at launch was a very different design and it would actually add to the longevity of the lines imo to see a few of these early kits like vulkites brought up to current standards. 

I was also never a huge fan of the Diaz daemonettes, though I also don't love the current ones all that much (except I do think there are some quite nice, subtle face sculpts in that kit, just the bodies lack any sort of dynamism.)

I would not be surprised to see some sort of daemon kit refresh get wheeled out over the next few years, a lot of those models are just about starting to show their age, particularly when put alongside the newer mortal chaos kits in AoS.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

The question for me is. Refresh over new units? I would say new units 200%.

image.png.5d2ec8fed9c7bce16ed320b9c3a0297d.png

It is a WIP still, but to get a rough idea it is enough. You cannot put resources to refresh a kit from a range with so little kits unless there's a proper big refresh.

Would that happen that big refresh for FS when there's other armies in more need? I doubt it. So the answer for me is the expansion of the range and 0 refreshes.

Dok is even funnier if you analyze the content of those kits.

The faction has 20 warscrolls, (without uw stuff that we know is leaving aos soon and the endless/invocation pack) and one of those is from warcry.

With the 19 AoS focused warscrolls, we have 7 that come in the same box that is coming from fantasy. Hag, Slaughter, Avatar, Medusa and the three altars. That's more than the third part of the army. You can add witch aelves and the favourite of nobody warlocks to a total of 10 from 19, more than half the playable units are coming from fantasy, just the half if you want to add warcry.

10 minutes ago, Ragest said:

Dok is even funnier if you analyze the content of those kits.

The faction has 20 warscrolls, (without uw stuff that we know is leaving aos soon and the endless/invocation pack) and one of those is from warcry.

With the 19 AoS focused warscrolls, we have 7 that come in the same box that is coming from fantasy. Hag, Slaughter, Avatar, Medusa and the three altars. That's more than the third part of the army. You can add witch aelves and the favourite of nobody warlocks to a total of 10 from 19, more than half the playable units are coming from fantasy, just the half if you want to add warcry.

Yep. I am learning a lot doing this Excel. I was not expecting that DoK would be in even worst shape than FS, IDK or KO, as they tend to be the ones with more voices.

image.png.a478437ae66c63d6ebb9077e10ac4552.png

Edited by Ejecutor
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

Yep. I am learning a lot doing this Excel. I was not expecting that DoK would be in even worst shape than FS, IDK or KO, as they tend to be the ones with more voices.

image.png.a478437ae66c63d6ebb9077e10ac4552.png

That's why I allways say that something has to change in that faction. I don't know if merging with someone (IDK?) or releasing Malerion with them, but DoK needs a very aggressive overhaul.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Lucentia said:

I was also never a huge fan of the Diaz daemonettes, though I also don't love the current ones all that much (except I do think there are some quite nice, subtle face sculpts in that kit, just the bodies lack any sort of dynamism.)

I would not be surprised to see some sort of daemon kit refresh get wheeled out over the next few years, a lot of those models are just about starting to show their age, particularly when put alongside the newer mortal chaos kits in AoS.

The current Daemon core kits all kinda suck. There, I‘ve said it. Plaguebearers are the best out of the bunch but even they would benefit from new minis, too much got improved in these years to not see a difference in quality between all those and new releases. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ragest said:

That's why I allways say that something has to change in that faction. I don't know if merging with someone (IDK?) or releasing Malerion with them, but DoK needs a very aggressive overhaul.

Malerion is the way.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

Malerion is the way.

Sometimes I try to convince myself that no, Malerion will come with a standalone army, but then I think about DoK, that is one of the most expensive armies to collect right now because you need that big fantasy direct sale piece and witch elves are expensive af, and any discount box (from vs against nh to spearhead, krethusa's box or battleforce) have 0 to negative value thanks to our beloved warlocks that nobody cares about.

But if you make a big refresh, then suddenly your one-for-seven-warcrolls box turns into 3-7 separate boxes, so the price goes even higher.

Tbh every faction from first edition is a big mess.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MothmanDraws said:

I want daemonettes to get resculpted to keep a more offputting visual design but have a more elegant posing. The ones in total war keep better with the new design but have a more fitting vibe as when not in combat they are preening and posing.

Slaanesh isn't about elegance, it's about excess. Extravagance would be the most appropriate defining term, IMHO.

The plastic kits were made at a time they had to be careful about models being able to be put in a close order formation (since it was a dual kit meant to be used in Battle and 40k). If they were done for AoS / 40k specifically (no more need to be used in close formations - yes, I know there's The Old World but they can just keep producing the old plastic kit for it ;) ), I have no doubt the sculpting team will go wild with their dynamic monoposes.

4 minutes ago, Gotz said:

remember that they can also make an old fantasy kit the official AoS kit and rerelease an older kit for the old world, like they've done with night goblins.

There are a few instances where I suspect an old WHFB kit is internally just treated as a regular AoS kit. Blightkings are an obvious one. But also something like the Hurricanum/Luminark, which played a pivotal role in Broken Realms and has appeared in official AoS art, such as here illustrating the Realm of Azyr.

dbmfDooFJPakMKe8-1440x811.jpg

I would bet that this kit stays in AoS unless it gets replaced, and that it doesn't get replaced for another 5 years or so at least. Which is pretty funny, considering it literally says "Emperor Karl Franz" on it. I think several 8th Ed/End Times kits are in that category.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

There are a few instances where I suspect an old WHFB kit is internally just treated as a regular AoS kit. Blightkings are an obvious one. But also something like the Hurricanum/Luminark, which played a pivotal role in Broken Realms and has appeared in official AoS art, such as here illustrating the Realm of Azyr.

dbmfDooFJPakMKe8-1440x811.jpg

I would bet that this kit stays in AoS unless it gets replaced, and that it doesn't get replaced for another 5 years or so at least. Which is pretty funny, considering it literally says "Emperor Karl Franz" on it. I think several 8th Ed/End Times kits are in that category.

The fact that it appears in lore or illustration doesn't make them AoS kits, IMO. If you have nothing else to display, you have to do it with WHFB minis. Hurricanum will disappear at the same time as the varied mages' kit.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, DeLewko said:

Gw has a tendency lately to leave 1 elite infantry untouched when redoing a line, see seraphon with temple guard and sbg with grave guard. No idea when they will update those kits. Theory floating around was that they left it for warcry update, but it has been 3 years since sbg was released and we still have them.. 

they will 100% be updated since we got the test models through WHU and I hope its pretty soon 

They redid Chosen when slaves got their second wave, it just a timing thing really and that was not warcry but a proper boxset.

they tend to be hesitant to update old plastic to new plastic as interest tends to be lower for them then say redone plastic battleline. 

11 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

The fact that it appears in lore or illustration doesn't make them AoS kits, IMO. If you have nothing else to display, you have to do it with WHFB minis. Hurricanum will disappear at the same time as the varied mages' kit.

Example being Demigryphs and Greatswords. Despite artwork they both got canned when Freeguild got their update.

1 hour ago, Ragest said:

Agreed. I stopped playing them 1,5 years ago. It’s too much of the same

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Big Kim Woof-Woof said:

I've never quite seen why people put those Diaz sculpts on such a pedestal. They were so tiny and delicate, I found them impossible to paint. And their poses were... odd. All on one leg. But that's just my opinion - I know hordes of people love them! 

People love them because of their suggestive poses, lack of clothing and advantageous physiques. Simple as.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

Agreed. I stopped playing them 1,5 years ago. It’s too much of the same

I get it they're kind of a one-trick pony, but well...when you think about it, a lot of AoS factions are kinda in the same situation. It's not really a DoK problem.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sarouan said:

I get it they're kind of a one-trick pony, but well...when you think about it, a lot of AoS factions are kinda in the same situation. It's not really a DoK problem.

Granted some of the 1.5 to 2.0 armies (Deepkin, DK, KO, FS, OBR sort of) who haven’t gotten an expansion to their range so they are a bit limited in their playstyle and versatility.

of course some armies like Ironjawz are just design to be straightforward even with an expansion recently.