The Rumour Thread

I already don't like that the moon effects are the same. The biggest issue with the last one was that the moon buffs weren't good enough to justify such a random ability.
Rally on a 4+ is strong but probably problematic.
And it looks like keyword bingo is still there to some extent.

Seems like an update rather than a rewrite. Could still be good if the scrolls get updated appropriately.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ganigumo said:

I already don't like that the moon effects are the same. The biggest issue with the last one was that the moon buffs weren't good enough to justify such a random ability.

Seems like an update rather than a rewrite. Could still be good if the scrolls get updated appropriately.

The moon movement still been random is still strange, I wonder if there are more ways to influence it other than the subfaction reroll. Looking at the boulders movement it appears that they are trying to keep the randomness but giving a better floor for such abilities.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Arzalyn said:

The moon movement still been random is still strange, I wonder if there are more ways to influence it other than the subfaction reroll. Looking at the boulders movement it appears that they are trying to keep the randomness but giving a better floor for such abilities.

Does the moon still leave the battlefield? I don't think it would be so bad if it just bounced around the battlefield but every time I played Gitz it just left before ever being actually useful.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, mojojojo101 said:

Does the moon still leave the battlefield? I don't think it would be so bad if it just bounced around the battlefield but every time I played Gitz it just left before ever being actually useful.

Yeah the moon has never been usefull to me up to the point that i didnt use it at all. Hope it really gets better this time.

Edited by Gitzdee
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Gitzdee said:

Yeah the moon has never been usefull to me up to the point that i didnt use it at all. Hope it really gets better this time.

1 hour ago, Ganigumo said:

I agree. The rules they previewed were all positive, but if they haven’t sorted out the random nature of the moon it will all be in vain. I find it hard to believe they would have recognised that completely random movement characteristics, or multiple dice rolls for an underwhelming regeneration wasn’t fun and fixed those, while leaving one situational allegiance ability, that’s completely random and doesn’t activate until the second turn. It’s GW though, so you can never be sure. The fact that they haven’t changed the moon buffs is dull if nothing else. 

20 minutes ago, TechnoVampire said:

I agree. The rules they previewed were all positive, but if they haven’t sorted out the random nature of the moon it will all be in vain.

I think that's a little hyperbolic. The new changes are great and really add some strength to the army as a whole. With the Loonshrine providing a large bubble of Moonlight and the bonuses from the it being relatively light I feel like the whole army can be competitive without an overhaul of that one allegiance ability. 

• Like 6

I broke down and subscribed for one battle report and then canceled (due to lack of content, seriously AoS has only TWO animations??)

Of note the rituals of ruin seem possibly really good. The herdstone nerf (starts on turn 2 and 4 instead of 1 and 3) seems fine. I didn't see them rally once so the rally/battleshock buff may also be gone which is also fine.

The biggest note is that bestigor are up to 2 wounds apiece, bullgor still hit on 4's and since they never once mentioned it I think I was right and they removed summoning from beasts which I am again totally fine with. Rather have good units than a million of them.

29 minutes ago, Vasshpit said:

I think the troggoth one is changed. Its a +1 to save now where iirc it use to be a regen buff...🤔

Troggs are looking right proper scary now. 🤘

It was changed to a save buff in one of the battlescroll updates. I think the summer one? although it might've even been last year

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DinoJon said:

I think that's a little hyperbolic. The new changes are great and really add some strength to the army as a whole. With the Loonshrine providing a large bubble of Moonlight and the bonuses from the it being relatively light I feel like the whole army can be competitive without an overhaul of that one allegiance ability. 

Its just my opinion. I began by acknowledging the revealed changes are positive, however the moon is currently the only gloomspite allegiance ability, so for me if they’ve recognised that things being completely random generally isn’t actually that fun, and changing them in warscrolls, only to have them remain in the sole allegiance ability, that will really undermine those changes. I think not having allegiance ability’s outside of a 12” bubble on turn 1 is bad game design, but it really is my hope that they’ll have changed that. 

Edited by TechnoVampire
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, dirkdragonslayer said:

Follow Da Moon as a battle plan is either going to be super easy or super hard, depending on random chance. Do we know if Skragrott can still control the moon? If so he can just force it to the middle of the board for a guaranteed battle plan. Being near the Loonshrine counts too, right?

But you can pick this battle tactic after seeing where the moon is right? So it will be a relatively easy one when available but some games just won’t be gettable. 

providing moonlight around the loonshrine really takes away a lot of the randomness of the bad moon. You can still get nice bonuses in a fairly large bubble. 

it does seem like more of an update (and incorporation of updates that all spread out, like white dwarf) than a rewrite. But that still seems pretty fun. Squigs look like pure fire so far. 10+2d6+3 movement before charge is ridiculous. The Mangler being able to just rampage past a screen like Stonehorns can is amazing. 

Even small things like fixing netters do their exact position within the unit doesn’t matter is super nice. 

Still not enough? Troggbosses recover an eye-watering D6 wounds – and Glogg’s Megamob have it even better… "

This makes me wonder if a we still get to include the 2 Kruleboyz Troggs.

"* But not the Gitmobbers – a temporary truce has been formed between the grot tribes."

Maybe at the end of the edition they will be getting their own tome with sun worshippers, frazzlegit or something they called it right? Gitmob and Grotbag? Grom?

Edited by Gitzdee

Though it looks like an update for Gitz it is what I'm expecting for the remaining AoS tomes. For example, the HoS one is probably similar to LRL in that it will consolidate all the various warscrolls into a single tome + either integrate or remove the sub-sub-factions + and (possibly) update the 'revel in pain' to seem less of a band-aid. Nothing in the development of AoS for many tomes in a row now suggest or even hint of a new and impactful update.

I do not think I'm being "negative" either since it is what we've been getting. Even S2D who got models didn't exactly WOW us with new and exciting mechanics, did it? What I'm actually saying is to stop expecting massive updates for AoS time and time again because they're not happening. The system is not big enough in GW's eyes for that yet.

When you accept that the AoS team's goal has been to update the game things, even though lacking bombastic releases, start to make a lot more sense and seem less bleak. I mean, listening to THW he keeps saying that the game is looking better and better... Even "the best its ever been."

So my question is, do we want huge shake-ups and, most likely, a significant increase in power creep each tome or do we want the dev team to improve the game as a whole first? In other words, we're getting frequent updates at the cost of significant and substantial ones.

A part of me want the bombastic upset of the meta but another part of me is coming around to the updated tomes. At least for now.

• Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Gitzdee said:

Still not enough? Troggbosses recover an eye-watering D6 wounds – and Glogg’s Megamob have it even better… "

This makes me wonder if a we still get to include the 2 Kruleboyz Troggs.

"* But not the Gitmobbers – a temporary truce has been formed between the grot tribes."

Maybe at the end of the edition they will be getting their own tome with sun worshippers, frazzlegit or something they called it right? Gitmob and Grotbag? Grom?

The Kruleboyz will almost certainly still be allies but they won't get any Gitz synergy. So long as nothing changes, the Sloggoth will still buff Gitz as it's friendly units it affects.

2 hours ago, TechnoVampire said:

Its just my opinion. I began by acknowledging the revealed changes are positive, however the moon is currently the only gloomspite allegiance ability, so for me if they’ve recognised that things being completely random generally isn’t actually that fun, and changing them in warscrolls, only to have them remain in the sole allegiance ability, that will really undermine those changes. I think not having allegiance ability’s outside of a 12” bubble on turn 1 is bad game design, but it really is my hope that they’ll have changed that. 

The moon doesn't go away from the Battlefield so It is more reliable. I think it is not that bad and we don't know the roll to stay

24 minutes ago, pnkdth said:

Even S2D who got models didn't exactly WOW us with new and exciting mechanics, did it?

Imho, it's the best AoS book.

I don't care about how good it is, but their main mechanics brings a lot of tools for players. I think it one of the most customizable armies.

I'm a bit upset that armies with few units didn't recieve the same treatment. I can't understand why fyreslayers, with only 3 units, can't take runes as "marks of chaos" to give their players a lot more variety to their gameplay.

• Like 6

45 minutes ago, pnkdth said:

Though it looks like an update for Gitz it is what I'm expecting for the remaining AoS tomes. For example, the HoS one is probably similar to LRL in that it will consolidate all the various warscrolls into a single tome + either integrate or remove the sub-sub-factions + and (possibly) update the 'revel in pain' to seem less of a band-aid. Nothing in the development of AoS for many tomes in a row now suggest or even hint of a new and impactful update.

I do not think I'm being "negative" either since it is what we've been getting. Even S2D who got models didn't exactly WOW us with new and exciting mechanics, did it? What I'm actually saying is to stop expecting massive updates for AoS time and time again because they're not happening. The system is not big enough in GW's eyes for that yet.

When you accept that the AoS team's goal has been to update the game things, even though lacking bombastic releases, start to make a lot more sense and seem less bleak. I mean, listening to THW he keeps saying that the game is looking better and better... Even "the best its ever been."

So my question is, do we want huge shake-ups and, most likely, a significant increase in power creep each tome or do we want the dev team to improve the game as a whole first? In other words, we're getting frequent updates at the cost of significant and substantial ones.

A part of me want the bombastic upset of the meta but another part of me is coming around to the updated tomes. At least for now.

I think it’s ok to hope that the devs are capable of recognising issues in tomes that are as old as 3 years, and applying a little knowledge and creativity to change the core mechanics, making them better and more interesting, without breaking the game. Gitz have consistently been one of the worst performing armies, so it’s clear they have issues. I would hope that they could solve some of these issues with more than warscroll upgrades, and try to address the core mechanics. It’s been years. I don’t think that’s too much to expect. I’m optimistic that the new Gitz tome will be more than that, but copy pasting old tomes like we’ve seen with factions like skaven, without doing anything new where necessary, just feels lazy. 

Edited by TechnoVampire
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A constant problem with destruction is the random element. Not because its unfun or inherently uncompetitive, but because GW is scared of the reward being good.

Its like playing nickel slots, even if you win you only get like 2$.

Sure you can make these factions competitive by making their baseline performance better to compensate, but sometimes it would be nice to just have a proper jackpot.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, pnkdth said:

I think the tome updates should, more or less, be evolutionary rather than revolutionary.  It should update the rules to comport better with 3.0.  It could add in some heroic actions or monstrous rampages when warranted.  And it should align with the new philosophy that choosing a sub faction no longer locks you into an artefact or command trait. 

I think the meta shakeup is mostly seen with the GHBs.  And I'm OK with that.  If you want a highly evolving game where good units become bad and bad units become good, I think the GHB battlepacks seem to do much of that.  But if you are just playing with your mates and having a good time with your army, you probably want some level of consistency.  

Seeing the squig movement change is a great quality of life improvement.  That's the kind of thing I want from new tomes.  That, and making the army feel like the lore.  Not every 3.0 battletome has been a banger, but the majority have been improvements in those terms (even if they aren't giving significant power improvements). 

• Like 6