The Rumour Thread

9 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

I am pretty confident it won't be. Or if it is, get ready for a 40 - 50 € WD.

Don't you think it's possible to have a model that's actually worth fifty quid? Because GW has much more expensive kits and people seem to buy them all the time.

Other than that, all the standard commemorative minis are within the £25 range, so why would this be any different? 

Not that there is any reason to expect one, bar wishlisting at this point, of course.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JerekKruger said:

If they channeled the spirit of Juan Diaz' metal daemonettes (minus the nudity, since I don't think GW would get away with that) in a modern plastic kit I'd buy... all of them?

I've never quite seen why people put those Diaz sculpts on such a pedestal. They were so tiny and delicate, I found them impossible to paint. And their poses were... odd. All on one leg. But that's just my opinion - I know hordes of people love them! 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Grungnisson said:

Don't you think it's possible to have a model that's actually worth fifty quid? Because GW has much more expensive kits and people seem to buy them all the time.

Other than that, all the standard commemorative minis are within the £25 range, so why would this be any different? 

Not that there is any reason to expect one, bar wishlisting at this point, of course.

That's exactly the range I am considering, but translated into €. Our WD is 9 €. 25 pounds tend to go to 30-ish €. So at least 40 €, as I said.

They've done minis for white dwarf plenty of times before. I think the last one was a liberator when they launched AoS They even did a metal elf for Mordheim. 

They've done versions of Gombrindal as a gift for subscribing before so they could do that again. 

I'm pretty confident that there will be a mini to accompany White Dwarf 500. Whether it will come with the magazine is another question. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Big Kim Woof-Woof said:

I've never quite seen why people put those Diaz sculpts on such a pedestal. They were so tiny and delicate, I found them impossible to paint. And their poses were... odd. All on one leg. But that's just my opinion - I know hordes of people love them! 

I think they had a certain elegance to them that matched the art from the time. Like you could imagine them dancing up to a unit of Empire state troops, being vaguely alluring enough to cause hesitation, then in sudden, elegant bursts of artistic violence murdering the distracted troops. The current (and previous) Daemonettes never captured that fur me: they just look horrific (not badly sculpted, horrific in the sense of causing horror).

The level of sculpting was also simply excellent by the standards of the time. Like the impression of ribs were just visible on they're chests. By modern standards that's pretty achievable, but remember Diaz was literally sculpting in greenstuff so what he was able to achieve at that scale was pretty amazing. 

That said it is, ultimately, subjective. You're not wrong for not thinking they're excellent 🙂

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Big Kim Woof-Woof said:

I think it's because it was a big change from the 90s Crab Claw Daemonettes. The current plastics are okay but I think they do look dated although the aesthetic is about right in my opinion.

13 minutes ago, Chikout said:

I'm pretty confident that there will be a mini to accompany White Dwarf 500. Whether it will come with the magazine is another question. 

Agreed. I doubt they will ship a model with the magazine now probably due shelf space and shipping. 

Back to rumours....

Not expecting an article today for new AOS. I'm thinking now it's just going to be Monday's and Thursday's with a sprinkling of more articles closer to May when they let people play the game at the demo shows.

14 minutes ago, Big Kim Woof-Woof said:

I used them to proxy Dryads. They were small and delicate - and very dynamic, for their time. I would say that the main reason for this popularity was the right balance between the feminine attractiveness and the demonic, sinister aspect. Like, they were hot but scary at the same time. The new ones are not bad but rather crude in comparison.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Chikout said:

They've done minis for white dwarf plenty of times before. I think the last one was a liberator when they launched AoS They even did a metal elf for Mordheim. 

They've done versions of Gombrindal as a gift for subscribing before so they could do that again. 

I hope the mini won't come with the magazine, but will be made to order/sold on the website instead as a permanent addition to the AoS range.

I'm expecting it to be the AoS design Grombrindal, possibly with KO/FS alternate builds. If it has AoS rules and it's locked behind a magazine purchase (which will most likely not nearly have enough stock), that would suck.

31 minutes ago, JerekKruger said:

If they channeled the spirit of Juan Diaz' metal daemonettes (minus the nudity, since I don't think GW would get away with that) in a modern plastic kit I'd buy... all of them?

Actually Fiends of Slaanesh contain nudity and they've been released less than 5 years ago, so everything is possible.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Juan Diaz's sculpts were distinct because at the time, GW's female miniatures were...let's say "a bit crude".

Let's be honest : it's because they were sexy they were loved.

Plastic daemonettes were as thin, but also went back to the old daemonette definition : androgyneous and with a disturbing physic that creepily appeals to you. Juan Diaz daemonettes were only about female curves and sensuality, they didn't feel like "creepy demons" enough IMHO. They gave a misleading feeling of what daemonettes are in the background, still IMHO, but for people who have known them, it was going back to the old daemonette vibe that was "wrong" - understandably.

I still remember people making jokes about their "dancing poses" when they were played in Warhammer Battle : all lifting one foot in perfect unison in close order formations. :P

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Chikout said:

From memory, over the years they have done,

plastic mono-pose space marine (around release of 2nd ed 40k).

plastic necromunda mini think it was either an orlock or a goliath from original box.

plastic Khorne berserker (mid-late 90's?)

metal necron (mid-late 90's?)

plastic dark eldar (around release of 3rd ed 40k, 1998?)

metal elf ranger, Aenur for Mordheim (circa 2000)

plastic slaughter priest (circa 2015, AoS release)

This is all I can remember, but there could well be more.

As much as I'd love it, I'm not sure if we'll see anything free with WD500, GW seem to give away minis more often now anyway with promotions like mini of the month and new player incentives (stormcast or marine). Also Stormbringer/Mortal Realms/Imperium mags seem to have taken the place of minis with a magazine.

3 hours ago, Ejecutor said:

I feel weird that we are asking for redos of AoS minis. For example the other day one guy was asking to redo a Nigthaunt series of minis from 2018.

Wouldn't be better if rather than putting those resources on refreshing minis, that still look nice, the team expanded those ranges instead?

Hmmm...for some factions? Maybe, but also...why not both?  But speaking as someone who likes fyreslayers but having every unit look almost the same.... ya id like a refresh espically since we gave seen what they could look like instead, 1 new unit and 2 unuts getting refreshed? Yes plz  but more than likely...the 7th single hero mini

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Pizzaprez said:

But GW not wanting their players to use their armies in more than one book/setting/game system is absolutely not going away based on current trends; no idea if the colors thing is still relevant in 40k but it grossed me out real hard. 

It’s not. Detachments focus on play style over narrative restrictions. As it should be really. It should be up to the player to impose any restrictions on their armies they feel fit their background. I don’t use Gaunt’s Ghosts with my Catachans because I don’t feel they fit my fluff, but nobody should be told they cannot use them.

45 minutes ago, Gaz Taylor said:

I think it's because it was a big change from the 90s Crab Claw Daemonettes. The current plastics are okay but I think they do look dated although the aesthetic is about right in my opinion.

Agreed. I doubt they will ship a model with the magazine now probably due shelf space and shipping. 

Back to rumours....

Not expecting an article today for new AOS. I'm thinking now it's just going to be Monday's and Thursday's with a sprinkling of more articles closer to May when they let people play the game at the demo shows.

No way. Last week we have 1 day off between articles, isn't it? They cannot stop that much... the only way they do this is by lowering the number of articles we would have in comparison with 40k.

40 minutes ago, Snarff said:

I hope the mini won't come with the magazine, but will be made to order/sold on the website instead as a permanent addition to the AoS range.

I'm expecting it to be the AoS design Grombrindal, possibly with KO/FS alternate builds. If it has AoS rules and it's locked behind a magazine purchase (which will most likely not nearly have enough stock), that would suck.

Is the next month's one the number 500, isn't it? If a mini is coming we would get an announcement it not that much time.

4 minutes ago, Big Kim Woof-Woof said:

It was December 1994. I know that because it was my first ever issue of White Dwarf! 

There was also a free Wizard (1 from a mix of 8 plastic Talisman miniatures) roughly a year after that. 

Oh yes I do remember them. I got the wizard holding an open scroll which I used for my Blood Bowl team head coach.

Think WD also had a free bretonian or a skink around WFB 5th?

21 minutes ago, Crypt said:

Hmmm...for some factions? Maybe, but also...why not both?  But speaking as someone who likes fyreslayers but having every unit look almost the same.... ya id like a refresh espically since we gave seen what they could look like instead, 1 new unit and 2 unuts getting refreshed? Yes plz  but more than likely...the 7th single hero mini

Easy. Capacity. Either you focus too much on that faction or you cannot do it. And that would mean another faction won't get a release. And, tbh, for me a mini from AoS (launched for AoS) holds pretty solid. They weren't launched that long ago.

1 hour ago, Big Kim Woof-Woof said:

I wouldn't object to that. But the fact that the parts are designed to be compatible with the Seekers and the Chariots means that they'd probably have to re-do the whole kaboodle.  Can't see that happening any time soon. 

New seekers with the updated mounts that slickblade/blissbarbs have please 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Sarouan said:

Juan Diaz's sculpts were distinct because at the time, GW's female miniatures were...let's say "a bit crude".

Let's be honest : it's because they were sexy they were loved.

Plastic daemonettes were as thin, but also went back to the old daemonette definition : androgyneous and with a disturbing physic that creepily appeals to you. Juan Diaz daemonettes were only about female curves and sensuality, they didn't feel like "creepy demons" enough IMHO. They gave a misleading feeling of what daemonettes are in the background, still IMHO, but for people who have known them, it was going back to the old daemonette vibe that was "wrong" - understandably.

I still remember people making jokes about their "dancing poses" when they were played in Warhammer Battle : all lifting one foot in perfect unison in close order formations. :P

to me the actual best part about diaz daemonettes was the posing, I like the new aesthetics for them just the posing on the new daemonettes is the issue, they are static. To me the best slaanesh sculpts are the fiends that balance the "wrongness" with the "sensual" they are odly elegant but feel off. They keep enough monster bits to be horrific but offset it with the wierdly femmenine legs that make it more akin to a silent hill enemy. I want daemonettes to get resculpted to keep a more offputting visual design but have a more elegant posing. The ones in total war keep better with the new design but have a more fitting vibe as when not in combat they are preening and posing.

2 minutes ago, Vasshpit said:

@Crypt

I think it would go a long way and do wonders for the army if they updated the basic troop FS kit. 

The question for me is. Refresh over new units? I would say new units 200%.

image.png.5d2ec8fed9c7bce16ed320b9c3a0297d.png

It is a WIP still, but to get a rough idea it is enough. You cannot put resources to refresh a kit from a range with so little kits unless there's a proper big refresh.

Would that happen that big refresh for FS when there's other armies in more need? I doubt it. So the answer for me is the expansion of the range and 0 refreshes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

They weren't launched that long ago.

It's not that they are old it's just that AoS at launch was a very different design and it would actually add to the longevity of the lines imo to see a few of these early kits like vulkites brought up to current standards.