The Rumour Thread

36 minutes ago, Beliman said:

Really?

I've read a few Warhammer Fantasy books (not much, over 12). Yes, sometimes it becomes a bit weird (a tank exploding in the middle of a medieval city like a Die Hard movie) but appart from a few chapters or characters, I had the feeling that everyone was in the same ground. I know, a human fighting a Shoggoth or even a Great Daemon was a bit too much, but if was written as if it was more about luck and the perfect timing than "hey, I'm angry!! I'm going to kill everyone with one hit even if I'm drunk" feeling that Gitslayer has (and yes, it's exactly how the book starts). 

Btw, I'm not used to 40k books. I think that I only finished the Night Lords Trilogy and some Forge world studio books (mperial Armoury and old Horus Heresy's Black Books)

AoS Gotrek is a bit of a special case. To all intents and purposes, he is the AoS version of One Punch Man, and just like One Punch Man, the interesting bit in those stories is not how he can win any fight with one punch, but how he affects the lives of everyone around him, especially his companions. The AoS Gotrek books have quite emotionally resonant and surprisingly deep explorations of personal anguish, depression and inability to break away from a downward spiral. A constant theme throughout all the books is that most of Gotrek's companions are emotionally or mentally broken in some fashion, unable to free themselves from chains of despair often wrought by their own hands. Gotrek's adventures are less about fantastic beasts and how to punch them, and more metaphors about coping with deep personal scars and finding the power and courage to get up and face the world again and again when everything seems like it doesn't work and doesn't belong. It ain't Nobel prize winning literature, but honestly it's damn impressive writing for something that technically doesn't have a higher bar to clear than 'be a good advert for toy soldiers'.

That all being said, if you want something with lower powered characters that's competently written, I recommend Gloomspite. It starts as a romp centred around a classic trope of a colorful adventuring party, but later becomes surprisingly dark and gritty. Incidentally, it also has some themes of emotional struggle and feelings of inadequacy, albeit delivered in a bit more heavy handed manner I felt.

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, Twisted Firaun said:

Good News Everyone! after lamenting the loss of half the war cry war bands and signing up for the CoS campaign I heard from my local GW Manager (Mike in Deer Grove, Illinois) that the Horns of Hashut may be rolled into an upcoming Chaos Dwarf faction in Fourth Edition. 

Is this true? possibly, after all this is only rumor.

GW Managers don’t get told anything like that. Chances are the rumours he’s passing on originated here.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 01rtb01 said:

In fairness, this is a level of fun and 'flavour' that is fun. Something 40k killed off.

I am all for more flavour and immersion, but picking hands does not do it for me. 😉 

4 minutes ago, RetconnedLegion said:

GW Managers don’t get told anything like that. Chances are the rumours he’s passing on originated here.

Our power is extending! From 4chan to GW managers. Soon GW would end up doing stuff based on the rumours we have.

Chupame el gif

• Haha 12

23 minutes ago, Twisted Firaun said:

Good News Everyone! after lamenting the loss of half the war cry war bands and signing up for the CoS campaign I heard from my local GW Manager (Mike in Deer Grove, Illinois) that the Horns of Hashut may be rolled into an upcoming Chaos Dwarf faction in Fourth Edition. 

Chaos Dwarfs will come soon. Lost Kingdom Miniatures already receive a warning from GW to remove their Chaos Dwarfs line. Especially the monsters.

The warcry band is gone. I don't believe it will come back. But there will be ofcourse lots of new units. All signs point to a big CD release.

19 minutes ago, Ragest said:

In other games or videogames is normal to make damages, for me is esier to say "that dude has 3 wounds" than "that dude has 15 remaining wounds"

Yeah no I'm fine with the change to health points, but nagash's ability should refer to the amount of health he has, rather than introducing a separate term where it isn't necessary 

6 minutes ago, Luperci said:

Yeah no I'm fine with the change to health points, but nagash's ability should refer to the amount of health he has, rather than introducing a separate term where it isn't necessary 

My problem with Nagash is that they show us how warscrolls work and some mechanics they have and suddenly nagash come with weird stuff like a skull symbol, damage points, power level, rampage, a weird big number with some color around and wizard (9), everything with any explanation about and I is too much shady information at the same time. 

We will get used to this new terminology I guess.

27 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

Seems the most likely. Btw, how is the campaign working? Do you have to play at the store the games?

@Ejecutor the campaign is pretty simple: you're given a card with a collection of tasks that earn you up to 18 points. It's basic stuff, build a unit, paint a unit, play a game, introduce a friend (you can get six by building a vanguard box). At the end of the event the manager collects the cards and determines whether or not the local players built or destroyed the city.

9 minutes ago, Ragest said:

My problem with Nagash is that they show us how warscrolls work and some mechanics they have and suddenly nagash come with weird stuff like a skull symbol, damage points, power level, rampage, a weird big number with some color around and wizard (9), everything with any explanation about and I is too much shady information at the same time. 

Yet, reading most of that I feel like I know exactly what it means. Damage and health are extremely intuitive: You have health, you take damage.

Skull ability? Bad stuff that happens when you take damage.

Big number on a spell ability? Must be cast value.

Wizard (9)? 9-cast wizard.

Rampage is just monstrous rampage.

Only power level is unfamiliar, really.

Of course, I am only able to understand it easily because I know how AoS works and what Nagash's warscroll did before. And I am sure there will be some new wrinkles when the full rules are out. Monstrous rampages seem to work differently now, for example. But as far as intuitively and quickly communicating info, I think the new warscrolls look pretty good.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Ragest said:

That's deliberate to keep people talking and speculating. Also to provide fuel for content creatures that can get easy clicks with '11 things you missed about the new AoS warscroll REVEALED' nonsense videos, complete with big yellow arrows that yell 'POWER LEVEL?!?'

Edited by Mortal Wound

1 hour ago, Twisted Firaun said:

I just bought my one today. They are really good models.

28 minutes ago, Luperci said:

The only change here is the terminology. The game has always worked this way.
Damage points = Wounds allocated
Health = Wounds characteristic
models die when wounds Suffered are higher or equal to wounds characteristic.
image.png.26ae93f0c92d8cea4c711640d38f750b.png

Its why behemoth tables care about "wounds suffered" and not "wounds remaining"

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Twisted Firaun said:

@Ejecutor the campaign is pretty simple: you're given a card with a collection of tasks that earn you up to 18 points. It's basic stuff, build a unit, paint a unit, play a game, introduce a friend (you can get six by building a vanguard box). At the end of the event the manager collects the cards and determines whether or not the local players built or destroyed the city.

But my point is, you do this at home, right? How can they prove it is not old stuff or pics from someone else (if they ask for pics at all)?

45 minutes ago, RetconnedLegion said:

Rather, they shouldn't get told anything like that, but in actuality a lot depends on the manager. Some are pretty clued into stuff and friends with people surprisingly high up the chain. 

The new warscroll layout looks like a great improvement IMO, for me the phase colours on the abilities will be really handy for remembering which abilities are available to me in each phase. The new Nagash one is much cleaner than the old wall of text lol.

l2qmbhrh66sa1.jpg

v9gmBzGCDBsTmLwM.jpg

Edited by Gareth 🍄
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

3 minutes ago, Ganigumo said:

The only change here is the terminology. The game has always worked this way.
Damage points = Wounds allocated
Health = Wounds characteristic
models die when wounds Suffered are higher or equal to wounds characteristic.
image.png.26ae93f0c92d8cea4c711640d38f750b.png

Its why behemoth tables care about "wounds suffered" and not "wounds remaining"

I'm aware, they should keep the terminology to the same phrases is what I mean, if the ability referred to the amount of health a unit had rather than the damage taken that'd be easier to keep track of I feel like 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gareth 🍄 said:

They new warscroll layout looks like a great improvement IMO, for me the phase colours on the abilities will be really handy for remembering which abilities are available to me in each phase. The new Nagash one is much cleaner than the old wall of text lol.

To each their own. I dislike it because it looks like videogame UI. But I'm probably just old like that.

45 minutes ago, ScionOfOssia said:

Personally if we’re recommending AoS books, I recommend both of Drekki Flynt’s books, but read them in order. It’s better that way. 

100% this

I'm a bit biased, but they feel so "grounded" that you can understand all the kharadron's life (and I'm saying this with a book that has a flying ship following a dragon between levitating mountains made of ice).

• LOVE IT! 1

The only thing on the warscroll that I can't identify is the shading on the Save value. I'm wondering why the Save characteristic is green while nothing else on the stat wheel is colored?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mutton said:

The only thing on the warscroll that I can't identify is the shading on the Save value. I'm wondering why the Save characteristic is green while nothing else on the stat wheel is colored?

I was wondering about that myself. I'm guessing it's just another bit of graphic design that they think is extremely clever and helpful, but undecipherable and completely superfluous to most regular people, like the phase colors and ability type icons. Maybe green is for stuff you do in your opponent's turn? Rolling saves would technically qualify.

Edited by Mortal Wound

5 minutes ago, Mutton said:

It is interesting because it was left off the colour wheel, buy when you look at the profile for Invocation of Nagash which has the wheel on there you can see an 8th colour that is the same as the save green. The other 7 are the ones listed.

27 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

But my point is, you do this at home, right? How can they prove it is not old stuff or pics from someone else (if they ask for pics at all)?

My store's allowing pics, but otherwise I guess they're trying to encourage people to hang out at the stores.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Mutton said:

green save good.
red save (5+) bad.

• Haha 2