The Rumour Thread

AoS Organised Play packet for 2024.

The Organised Play pack contains everything a store needs to run a matched play tournament for up to 32 players, including free art cards, a metal Age of Sigmar measurement gauge for every player, a glass trophy for the champion, and certificates for other awards such as Best Painter.

WkiY8VG2eR7qGCRH.jpg

HEn1UD50Reb2psyk.jpg

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 2

I kind of hope we get a set of indexes for 4th, I get people don't want to buy the battle tomes again for everyone but to me that's what indexes let me do. Oh I'm not likely to play my Sylvaneth beyond casual games in the near future? Cool I don't need to buy the book and will just use the index until 5th ed.

• Like 5

20 hours ago, RyantheFett said:

I am gonna go with as long as the model is not another space marine its a good model. Sure they are a little boring, but its still a cool model that did not really need any changes.

Also lets not forget this thing exists. Easily top pick for worse and somehow most boring model I have seen in a long time................ what is that belt feeding on a missile gun lol!!

<snip>

these guys are the pinnacle of the ~Warhammer Aesthetic~ and i will die on this hill...

this is the EPITOME of "there is only war"

if you ask for more grimdark this is eventually what you get! it might be my favorite Marine kit because of how honest it is

1 hour ago, Pizzaprez said:

But, like, I can't even often justify $50 or $60 on a new 200+ hour videogame with how often things go on sale: how can I justify $60 for an update (that will immediately get an FAQ) and like maybe three new pages of text and a new piece of art or two? $50 that'll expire very soon?

The bold part is the problem for me.

The books currently work like a game aid (not a very good one) that I'm sort of obliged to have to play games. The lore is nice and the art pieces that are there just isn't enough of it.

As I don't play that many games battletomes just don't feel like a worthwhile purchase (and I'm not sure they would even if I was going to tournaments every weekend).

The thing is I'd happily buy the books at £50 or more if they were pitched more like coffee table books. Increase the amount of lore, stick in a few short stories and loads more art, maybe some hobby stuff. That is a far more interesting product to me, as a collector, than a kinda crappy rulebook.

• Like 6

how can I justify $60 for an update (that will immediately get an FAQ) and like maybe three new pages of text and a new piece of art or two? $50 that'll expire very soon?

don't forget the typos 🤪

like @mojojojo101 and a ton of others have said, I'd love for these books--especially campaign books--to be coffee table worthy with nice art and narrative exploration.

Eventually, I'd like to own a "combined forces" army for each of the four Grand Alliances. Minimum, that's $200 an edition right now in only books so I can be up-to-date. In reality, my Free City is Sylvaneth + Kharadron + Cities, so that's three books. My Undead force is currently Soulblight + Nighthaunt and a handful of Ghouls, so another three books. Chaos is Slaves + Chaos Duardin + stuff from Orruks. Another three. I'd like my grots to have some orruk friends, so that'll be two for them. 

If I wanted to roll into 4.0, able to use all the models in my collection, that's 10 books. $500 in only battletomes just to use my GW toys in the GW game. That isn't even mentioning the Seasons of War, Dawnbringers, or Broken Realms type books that I always pick up bc I love them, usually another $50 a book. For now.

What are you talking about? Do you own enough of each of those armies to play them as the main part of the force, with the rest filled with allies? You don't need the book to use allies in your main force.  If you have at least 800 (or probably at least 1600) of 10 different armies then that is indeed a lot of books to be able to play each as a main force, but that is already a really heavy investment in warhammer models. 

The way you are talking about stuff it really doesn't sound like you are playing matched play at all, so the book cycle doesn't really matter to you does it? Chaos Dwarfs started out as warhammer legends didn't they? 

It sounds like right now if you wanted to run your models the most likely option would be ending up with 4 books.  Probably Cities of Sigmar, Soulblight or Nighthaunt, Slaves to Darkness and Gloomspite. Those would let you play the most of what you have. If you end up with a full army of say, Kharadrons then you might want to get the kharadron book, but if you have a few units there really is no need. All you need for allies is in the app for free.

On an unrelated note, weren't we expecting a battlescroll today?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Satyrical Sophist said:

What are you talking about? Do you own enough of each of those armies to play them as the main part of the force, with the rest filled with allies? You don't need the book to use allies in your main force. 

the point is that both hobbyists who want their armies' books AND comp players who need their armies' books have both been priced out, and the books you do end up getting are immediately FAQ'd on top of including mistakes.......

"you don't need to buy all those books" is true, but missing the point. I don't even want to buy the SINGULAR battletome I need because of how anti-consumer GW is now.

• Thanks 4

I was reading again Broken realms fictions , and one part was interesting

« Gordrakk span round, temper flashing hot. Behind him was a Bonesplitter, hulking and near-naked, his chest painted with squigstain spirals and a four-legged glyph of the Earthquake God. His posture was bent, as if he was used to carrying heavy armour, and his physique was far bulkier than your average spirit-chaser; by Gordrakk’s reckoning he’d been an Ironjaw not so long ago, and by his scars he was one that had taken a right clobbering at that. »

so according to this some Ironjawz turn to be bonesplitterz . So is there a connection planned between the warclans ? 

• Like 1

Just now, Grunbag said:

« Gordrakk span round, temper flashing hot. Behind him was a Bonesplitter, hulking and near-naked, his chest painted with squigstain spirals and a four-legged glyph of the Earthquake God. His posture was bent, as if he was used to carrying heavy armour, and his physique was far bulkier than your average spirit-chaser; by Gordrakk’s reckoning he’d been an Ironjaw not so long ago, and by his scars he was one that had taken a right clobbering at that. »

so according to this some Ironjawz turn to be bonesplitterz . So is there a connection planned between the warclans ? 

If I remember right Bonesplitters come from all kind of orruks, just need to have something in their head go spoons and get overwhelmed by waaagh energy and run off.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Grunbag said:

This is actually a character from the very first broken realms story, which explored how he become a Bonesplitter.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, mojojojo101 said:

The bold part is the problem for me.

The books currently work like a game aid (not a very good one) that I'm sort of obliged to have to play games. The lore is nice and the art pieces that are there just isn't enough of it.

As I don't play that many games battletomes just don't feel like a worthwhile purchase (and I'm not sure they would even if I was going to tournaments every weekend).

The thing is I'd happily buy the books at £50 or more if they were pitched more like coffee table books. Increase the amount of lore, stick in a few short stories and loads more art, maybe some hobby stuff. That is a far more interesting product to me, as a collector, than a kinda crappy rulebook.

You and I are on the exact same page! I bought multiple editions of the same WHF army book because each book was just about entirely different even just ignoring the rules! 

4 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

don't forget the typos 🤪

like @mojojojo101 and a ton of others have said, I'd love for these books--especially campaign books--to be coffee table worthy with nice art and narrative exploration.

Man I'm always editing after I proofread my post can't believe I missed that lol; my brain was still on videogame-price

2 minutes ago, Satyrical Sophist said:

What are you talking about? Do you own enough of each of those armies to play them as the main part of the force, with the rest filled with allies? You don't need the book to use allies in your main force.  If you have at least 800 (or probably at least 1600) of 10 different armies then that is indeed a lot of books to be able to play each as a main force, but that is already a really heavy investment in warhammer models. 

The way you are talking about stuff it really doesn't sound like you are playing matched play at all, so the book cycle doesn't really matter to you does it? Chaos Dwarfs started out as warhammer legends didn't they? 

It sounds like right now if you wanted to run your models the most likely option would be ending up with 4 books.  Probably Cities of Sigmar, Soulblight or Nighthaunt, Slaves to Darkness and Gloomspite. Those would let you play the most of what you have. If you end up with a full army of say, Kharadrons then you might want to get the kharadron book, but if you have a few units there really is no need. All you need for allies is in the app for free.

On an unrelated note, weren't we expecting a battlescroll today?

Actually yeah I don't have full armies of Kharadron, O&G, or Ghouls yet but I've got a fistful of 'em and yeah I've got like 2k+ points of almost all the rest of that stuff listed! I care about the book cycle because I like playing with the up-to-date rules when I can (so I can keep abreast to discussion happening online) and, even ignoring matched play, i really like everything in the 10+ little narrative books they've released and they sometimes directly reference the core rules.

I think I've swerved the app on principal without looking too much into it: I think I was initially grossed out by the fact that they shaved those warscrolls off their site to sell them in an app: tabletop gaming is a way for me to avoid screens, so I tend to want anything relevant on paper. I don't think I'd realized that the basic warscrolls were in there! That does a lot to deflate the issue! However, even if I only had 4 forces instead of a potential 10, that's still $200 an edition just for whatever new stuff gets added.

Outside of the occasional videogame, movie, or camping, miniatures and miniatures games are my primary interest and hobby! I do have a silly investment in GW at this point, but I can also justify that investment as a physical hobby activity that brings me joy. I was so crestfallen the first time I opened a $50 book and realized I'd read most of it already! 

But the warscrolls being free online does mitigate a big percentage of the issue for sure, and I do appreciate you pointing it out! 

2 minutes ago, Pizzaprez said:

But the warscrolls being free online does mitigate a big percentage of the issue for sure, and I do appreciate you pointing it out! 

Glad to have helped! As someone who has far too many armies as well  I feel for you. 

Returning to the rumour/speculation focus, does anyone remember/know how they link the data slate to the battle scroll historically? Data slate was last week (unusually on a Tuesday) but I have a vague itchy feeling in my hind brain that there is usually two weeks between the pair of them? 

9 minutes ago, Satyrical Sophist said:

Returning to the rumour/speculation focus, does anyone remember/know how they link the data slate to the battle scroll historically? Data slate was last week (unusually on a Tuesday) but I have a vague itchy feeling in my hind brain that there is usually two weeks between the pair of them? 

I think they just come out around the same time. There’s no direct link between them as managed be separate teams.

Suspect the delay is either due to one of the following…

1 ) some internal resource issues (people who do it may be sick, have personal issues like a family death or could even been involved in jury service, etc)

2 ) new edition means they are just less focused on it

3 ) issues with the data / stats (may have lost the data for example like a corrupted database).

A combination of these can easily snowball no matter how well prepared you are.

1 hour ago, EonChao said:

I kind of hope we get a set of indexes for 4th, I get people don't want to buy the battle tomes again for everyone but to me that's what indexes let me do. Oh I'm not likely to play my Sylvaneth beyond casual games in the near future? Cool I don't need to buy the book and will just use the index until 5th ed.

On paper its the fairest way to do things. But it was a huge cluster in 40k 10th edition. Its stripped out all of the subfactions and just gave you a really vanilla watered down version of your army. 

And while I'm sure the next battletome will fix this issue, many will be waiting on their battletome for years. 

And you would think that just having the indexes themselves would make the new edition a lot more fair and balanced, but it actually didn't. They had to drop a ton of emergency hotfixes bc the index win rates were even more skewed than the outgoing 9th codexes. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mutton said:

They said in the last Metawatch that the battle scroll was being delayed to line up with unspecified product releases. I'm guessing that's Dawnbringers IV.

It would make sense with new rules in Dawnbringers IV coming such as the new regiments of renown and a bunch of models at the same time so people can work them in to lists asap. Hopefully we get it next week.

On 2/6/2024 at 6:44 PM, Landohammer said:

On paper its the fairest way to do things. But it was a huge cluster in 40k 10th edition. Its stripped out all of the subfactions and just gave you a really vanilla watered down version of your army. 

That and the psychic mechanic is what I don't like about nu-40k. Btw, I'm not a fan of missions too, but the main core rules are good and easy to work and if there are any problems, it's easy to fix (just change or remove keywords/values and the entire unit becomes something else).

The only thing that I miss is more customization (subfactions, artefacts, traits, etc...).

Edited by Beliman
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vaellas said:

It would make sense with new rules in Dawnbringers IV coming such as the new regiments of renown and a bunch of models at the same time so people can work them in to lists asap. Hopefully we get it next week.

I think that'd make sense!

Anyone know when/if the rest of Dawnbringers will drop? The new Khanite character was for the 5th book, yeah? Curious to see if they go for five or six: I felt like Broken Realms could have used one last book about Alarielle and the big Life spell she did and I'm hoping Dawnbringers has more of like a conclusion conclusion instead, even if there's an epilogue

Rereading End Times: Nagash right now, and it's cool how you can see the Ossiarch and new Deathrattle take shape in some of the art! In particular, the image of the army and flying Black Pyramid after Nagash spanks Khemri. The mounted guy's armor looks like a Bonereaper and the skeletons on the next page look like the Cursed City guys. Always fun when you can pick out the seeds of cool ideas; hoping Dawnbringers does something similar for another faction or two!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ejecutor said:

It is curious that we got a new box for the competitive scene as we are waiting for the next ed box. Would it change with the release of the next ed?

Doubtful, especially if all AoS4th does is continue on refreshes so it’s fundamentally the same as AoS3 with only a few new twists in rules & Realmscape.

Also interesting that’s a Dragon-Ogor Battlemat.

Could it be the “GW doesn’t care about BoC” rumors are off bounds like they have been since 2018? 😄

14 minutes ago, Beliman said:

That and the psychic mechanic is what I don't like about nu-40k. I'm not a fan of missions either,  but the main core rules are good and easy to work and fix if there are some problems (just change or remove keywords/values and the entire unit becomes something else).

The only thing that I miss is more customization (subfactions, artefacts, traits, etc...).

I'm a thousand sons main and honestly the psychic change didn't actually bother me. I understood the reasoning and it seems to work ok (more or less). What killed my entire interest in the game was when my Raven Guard and Creations of Bile armies effectively became just vanilla Space Marine and Chaos Space Marines. The SM codex didn't really even fix that.

I really don't see a need to overhaul AOS like they did 40k. The game works really well. They could just change up the scoring system (no more faction tactics or grands) and maybe cleanup the summoning/recursion mechanics and the game would be fine IMHO.  

• Like 1