The Rumour Thread

Do we know enough yet to establish how accurate 'Whitefang back me up' is as a rumour monger?

They may well have been spot on about somethings so far, none come to mind but it might be I just don't remember.

But they were definitely wrong about seeing dwarves by the end of January.

The whole point of AOS is to create factions that are original, and more importantly covered by copyright. Beasts of Chaos don't fit that - they show up in the Wheel of Time show on Amazon for example, and yo can't copyright Minotaurs, Centaurs and Fawns.

Morghur coming back and mutating them into strange, new and more copyrightable forms is really what I expected to happen all along, so moving BoC into TOW and them spinning Gavespawn out into a full faction in it's own right would make sense to me.

They could also introduce a Drogrukh faction to run alongside Kragnos (they would have to tweak the lore to do it i think), which would feel pretty close to BoC as they exist in AOS.

• Like 9

23 minutes ago, BarakUrbaz said:

So you're saying all the stuff in the narrative about Morghur, the Witherdwell, Ghorraghan Khai, and the Turnskin Plague will just be dropped completely without explanation?

Phoenix temple, Ur phoenix and Phoenicium were discontinued in the lore without any explanation from GW.

Of course rumors are rumors until it happens as @Gaz Taylor said !

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cyrus said:

Phoenix temple, Ur phoenix and Phoenicium were discontinued in the lore without any explanation from GW.

Of course rumors are rumors until it happens as @Gaz Taylor said !

Tyrion is the Lord Phoenix I believe. It would make sense that they're dropping all of that to make way for his return

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Theyre not going anywhere.

In my opinion after some thought there is only one explanation.

The Beasts of Chaos minis as we currently know them are moving to TOW.

At the same time this happens Beasts of Chaos in AOS will recieve a massive line refresh.

That is what I believe will happen.

• Like 9

26 minutes ago, EntMan said:

Do we know enough yet to establish how accurate 'Whitefang back me up' is as a rumour monger?

They may well have been spot on about somethings so far, none come to mind but it might be I just don't remember.

But they were definitely wrong about seeing dwarves by the end of January.

He said we would see new TOW content before the end of the month and they showed O&G. That's his record so far.

Edited by Ejecutor

I personally feel like the post-WFB grace period where GW could get away with axing entire armies and figuring out what they wanted to do with the range has passed.

It's one thing to drop armies that have never had a coherent direction in AoS, it's quite another to drop ones that have had full battletome support. That's not to say GW can't or won't do such a thing, just that I think it would be very toxic and unhealthy for the game.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, mawhis117 said:

The whole point of AOS is to create factions that are original, and more importantly covered by copyright. Beasts of Chaos don't fit that - they show up in the Wheel of Time show on Amazon for example, and yo can't copyright Minotaurs, Centaurs and Fawns.

Morghur coming back and mutating them into strange, new and more copyrightable forms is really what I expected to happen all along, so moving BoC into TOW and them spinning Gavespawn out into a full faction in it's own right would make sense to me.

They could also introduce a Drogrukh faction to run alongside Kragnos (they would have to tweak the lore to do it i think), which would feel pretty close to BoC as they exist in AOS.

There's no need to tweak the lore to have a Drogrukh faction. The seed is already there in Dawnbringers.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, mawhis117 said:

The whole point of AOS is to create factions that are original, and more importantly covered by copyright.

You hear this point a lot, but I have never seen it mentioned by a primary source (GW insider) as a driving motivation for the creation of AoS. Recently there have a lot of interviews on this topic, and IP concerns never come up.

To be sure, they used the shift to AoS to make their IP more protectible, but it didn't stop them from making new elves and skeletons down the line.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Marcvs said:

I think (and that's what Rob THW said last time we had this discussion on this forum) that the miniature range is going, not Beast of Chaos as a faction. So, basically, the Cities situation++ : more models squatted without replacement and all units "replaced" actually get a new name and aesthetic (Freeguild -> Steelhelms) in order to make it possible but difficult/temporary to use the old models.

This makes most sense. Maybe relaunch the faction with a trademarkable name like Gorherds of Chaos or whatever.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Armoured said:

The world isn't ready for goats with guns!  It would be too powerful!

40k Imps used to have goats with guns. 

Is it merely a coincidence that since the Imperial Guard stopped using Beastmen the Imperium has got worse and has been split, Cadia is gone, the eye of terror is now the great rift, humanity is even closer to extinction? I think not.

Basically the old school Squats and the Beastmen were propping up the Empire.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

You hear this point a lot, but I have never seen it mentioned by a primary source (GW insider) as a driving motivation for the creation of AoS. Recently there have a lot of interviews on this topic, and IP concerns never come up.

To be sure, they used the shift to AoS to make their IP more protectible, but it didn't stop them from making new elves and skeletons down the line.

In fact CoS, for example, doesn't look easy to move into a proper IP.

54 minutes ago, Nuriel said:

I'm absolutely done with GW if they go with it. 

If GW could they would probably squat Chaos Daemons too and make four separate lines for 40k, AoS, TOW and HH 🤬

Honestly I wouldn't mind some fresh ideas for the daemons range, maybe some exclusively 40k/aos models, they're definitely a weird standalone army in 40k because they don't have a consistent visual identity if you go undivided, and if you don't you're then extremely limited in army roster. And also reimagined kits for plaguebearers, bloodletters, pink horrors and maybe daemonettes but they definitely hold up the best imo. I don't think any of them are particularly bad but I'd love to see what could be done with an update (see the tzeentch WU warband), make them more chaotic and mutated, and less uniform

38 minutes ago, KingBrodd said:

Theyre not going anywhere.

In my opinion after some thought there is only one explanation.

The Beasts of Chaos minis as we currently know them are moving to TOW.

At the same time this happens Beasts of Chaos in AOS will recieve a massive line refresh.

That is what I believe will happen.

Still we are hearing a lot of rumours regarding BoC. It could be because its easy guessing because its one of the few armies left that still needs an update. But maybe there is some truth behind the rumours. And why are we hearing about this so close to the end of Dawnbringers? A surprise end of edition BoC refresh at the end of the Era of the BEAST? This would be the best ending i could imagine. 

(Although not very likely XD)

• LOVE IT! 1

If BoC are squatted from AoS it really would be a first for the game. We've had factions from the old world cut, we've had sections of ranges disappear like the the cities stuff, we've had battle tomes get souped, and we had factions get reimagined like legions of Nagash but we've never had a whole battletome and it's range of minis get dropped from the game. 

In fact the only time a faction has been completely dropped from a GW game was the squats themselves. Everything else got moved or absorbed or changed or forgotten like the sisters. 

It would be a bigger deal than some people are making it out to be.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Marcvs said:

I think (and that's what Rob THW said last time we had this discussion on this forum) that the miniature range is going, not Beast of Chaos as a faction. So, basically, the Cities situation++ : more models squatted without replacement and all units "replaced" actually get a new name and aesthetic (Freeguild -> Steelhelms) in order to make it possible but difficult/temporary to use the old models.

This is most likely. 

• Like 4

I'm of the mind that if something happens to BoC, it will be the current models shifting to TOW and a new range released for AoS. There's a lot of excellent design space for weird mutant beasties, but the "all goats" motif of current beasts does put a design limiter on how far they can stretch the envelope before the models don't look like they belong.

An overhaul would allow them to add Pestigors, Khorngors, and updated or faction specific chaos spawn, and then release rank-and-file BoC who tie the disparite god-specific beasts together aesthetically. 

There's a LOT of design space available if they overhaul BoC, I find it hard to believe that GW would pass up that kind of opportunity (especially since, as others have said, it allows them to create a copyrightable IP in the process.)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1