The Rumour Thread

11 hours ago, IronVIke said:

Ok with Chorfs all but confirmed and skaven in the launch box. This steers my thinking about what realm we are in for 4th and I think about some clues from dawnbringers as well. So this is my semi logical hot take for not only 4th but a little of 5th

4th will be set in Chamon, what leads me to think this is as follows. 

1st Skaven and Chorfs being all but confirmed in this edition I think we see a reimagining of skaven engineering, and we showcase clan skryer and their allies clan moulder. Doom wheels, Jezzails, Warpfire throwers, ratling guns, rat ogres, pack masters and all kinds of other options to showcase a revitalized skaven line. 

2nd Chorfs and industry fitting into Chamon are completely hand in hand and make far more sense to be revealed here. Remember this is order vs chaos in 4th edition. This can be showcased in contrast to the skyports of the KO and there is the greyfyrd lodge of the FS. 

3rd in the battle between bael-grimnir and trugg, he falls through the portal on truggs back which is glowing gold (magic color of chamon), and the gold magic is burning at the ends of his limbs. I think this is the major foreshadowing to the next realm we are headed to. Also nothing identifies where Trugg wakes up at night, I think he was transported to chamon along with those in his immediate vicinity. I think the (Blessed by blood- dawnbringers story) takes place as Khuls band is slaughtering countless fireslayers and troggoths, which I think is the battle that is being fought between trugg and bael. The fact that Trugg woke up at night and hasn't had his skull taken. I think he is somewhere else.

With this theme comes the advent of new war machines for multiple other factions. My mind runs wild with these.

- Stormcast: Something with lore almost akin to the dreadnoughts in 40k. Stormcast who have been stripped so far of their humanity they have one final reforging. They are placed in a part mechanized shell that is powered by their souls (not as huge as dreadnoughts but let's say they come in units of 2 game wise) They do not feel, they do not question, a grim final fate for those collected by Ionus until a cure for the flaws in reforging can be found. I think this is where a Vandus reimagining comes in. He is killed by khul for khul to ascend and he is claimed by ionus to this new fate.

- Cities of Sigmar wave 2: new cannon units, steam tanks, maybe some small cogforts (i like the idea of a cogfort being a hero centerpiece unit for an army on the table). 

- Fyreslayers/KO: Small mech suits, or alchemic replacements for severed limbs like bael-grimnir has. With a reintroduction of him with a new hero model. 

And Chamon is also home to some groups we have talked about who can get a refresh or additional unit waves: Tzeentch features heavily in this realm and would benefit from armored troops, FEC are here for wave 2, Ogors can get their line revamped with new armored shock troops, sylvanth have the ironbark glade here, and this i think is also the perfect setting for a BoC refresh as well. Malareons first wave of a reveal comes later into the edition at the beginning of year 3 in the year lead up to 5th THEN going to ulgu for 5th.

Ulgu is a much better setting to continue the rotation of order vs (insert faction here). We are due for death in 5th and the realm of shadows seems to be a mcuh more apt setting for this. You can have malerions return in 4th set the stage narratively to inform the next wave of stormcast we will inevitably get to replace the sacrosanct models, and have them face a new or new branch of an existing death faction. There are more chorfs here for a wave 2 early on, you can expand on slannesh, morathi and malerions forces. We also know way more about Chamon than Ulgu, and we have another full edition to ramp up lore about Ulgu. 

Now this all being said there is no reason these locations couldn't be flipped for the editions. This is just what I feel makes sense narratively. Combined with my fanciful thoughts of unit creations. I hope it sparks some fun thoughts.

While most of this sounds cool, looking back on third, where until dawnbringers GW pretty much insisted on being set in Ghur, we really didn't get any Ghur-themed miniatures in mainline AoS and it was mostly delegated to Warcry to carry the Ghur theme, although only in a pretty small area. It seems to me that setting a whole edition in one realm doesn't really constitute anything in terms of larger range releases. The fact that we didn't get a large BoC release in this edition really shows that the "Era of the Beast" barely means anything. I'm personally for the multi-realm jumping between them to tell interesing stories as they crop up approach.

Edit: And as someone mentioned before, other realms also show opportunities for industrial development, the soul-fuel oil rigs in Shyish sound pretty metal to me. I wouldn't be betting on what the next realms would be based on the factions we know will be featured in the next edition. For all we know the starter might be set in Blight City itself as the Stormcasts push back an incursion after something happens at the end of Dawnbringers.

Edited by pitzok
mixed up settings
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, pitzok said:

While most of this sounds cool, looking back on third, where until dawnbringers GW pretty much insisted on being set in Ghur, we really didn't get any Ghur-themed miniatures in mainline AoS and it was mostly delegated to Warcry to carry the Ghur theme, although only in a pretty small area. It seems to me that setting a whole edition in one realm doesn't really constitute anything in terms of larger range releases. The fact that we didn't get a large BoC release in this edition really shows that the "Era of the Beast" barely means anything. I'm personally for the multi-realm jumping between them to tell interesing stories as they crop up approach.

Edit: And as someone mentioned before, other realms also show opportunities for industrial development, the soul-fuel oil rigs in Shyish sound pretty metal to me. I wouldn't be betting on what the next realms would be based on the factions we know will be featured in the next edition. For all we know the starter might be set in Blight City itself as the Stormcasts push back an incursion after something happens at the end of Dawnbringers.

True, though i think that The Era of Covid disrupted the Era of the Beast quite a bit. 

With BoC - it now seems that they're going to TOW exclusively anyway, so they may probably stopped looking at them from a design perspective some time ago. Also, despite the name, BoC seem to be linked just as heavily to Ghyran as Ghur.

Edited by mawhis117

1 minute ago, mawhis117 said:

True, though i think that The Era of Covid disrupted the Era of the Beast quite a bit. 

With BoC - in now seems that they're going to TOW exclusively anyway, so they may probably stopped looking at them from a design perspective some time ago. Also, despite the name, BoC seem to be linked just as heavily to Ghyran as Ghur.

I personally don't believe BoC are going anywhere, at least as a concept. They might get renamed and get a new range but a beastly faction will still be present. It's crazy to me how The Honest Wargamer stirred up this thread by just stating his opinion (not a rumour) that he *thinks* that they're getting removed.

• Thanks 2

Im still not gonna trust skavens coming until adepticon drops, or whitefang explodes my house

Alltho, I do expect to see dawnbreakers stuff at LVO, which has just 10 days left

Edited by Garrac
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

34 minutes ago, pitzok said:

I personally don't believe BoC are going anywhere, at least as a concept. They might get renamed and get a new range but a beastly faction will still be present. It's crazy to me how The Honest Wargamer stirred up this thread by just stating his opinion (not a rumour) that he *thinks* that they're getting removed.

I agree that there will probably be a new faction to replace BoC at some point (probably morghurite judging by the lore), but it may well diverge quite significantly from the current BoC line. It won't be a refresh with new models for existing units like Seraphon got. 

There's a reason that there are so many beastmen-like units in other armies - Kragnos, Centurion-Marshal, Ogroids, etc, while BoC have got next to nothing.

Edit: If it's not Morghur, then they could well bring the Drogrukh back to fight alongside Kragnos. That would be an army that would look and feel quite similar to BoC, while still being distinct.

Edited by mawhis117

Yeah, I could see LRL with a diamond collared cat companion (though probably it would be some sort of more magical-looking creature!) but the rest of the teaser image doesn't look like lumineth at all.

Could be the rumoured grave robbers, perhaps, with a cat to watch out for vengeful spirits!

Edited by Lucentia

To get back with chaos dwarfs (the only faction that will make me start a third army), my guess is that they will first be in a soup chaos tome when out. Like orruk have in one tome kruleboyz, ironjawz and binesplitterz allegiance but can make a big waagh with all three armies, you could have à chaos tome with slaves to darkness, guard of the everchosen or chorfs only allegiance, and a big chaos soup. This way they can just throw 2-3 heroes, one dual kit shooters/non shooter base unit, and some war machines like thé apocalypse cannon (what a kit it was !) and some flamethrowers. Then if it sells well expand the range. Of course the Horns of Hashut warband and some hobgrots would be there but maybe locked in a chorfs-only allegiance.

Just now, Black_Templar_Lad said:

Do we know of a preview scheduled before Summer? Trying to think what AoS reveal would be. Could see the 4.0 tease if there's not another preview now until Summer?

Adepticon is the next one.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Nezzhil said:

Adepticon is the next one.

And Adepticon was also where they showed 40k 10th last year, which also got quite alot instead of just a teaser. They got a full trailer that showed a few new models in animated form, two models shown of completely and some information about how the game will change. 

Edited by Matrindur

12 minutes ago, Black_Templar_Lad said:

I'm guessing the Kill Team reveal will be the Mandrakes against the Night Lords, which will then be announced for pre order a couple days later, as what's happened with a few reveals. 😂

That's gonna be hard to resist if they are faithful to the finecast versions, hopefully they don't have too much 40k-ness so I can kitbash them into aos, maybe as khainite shadowstalkers?

40 minutes ago, Black_Templar_Lad said:

I'm guessing the Kill Team reveal will be the Mandrakes against the Night Lords, which will then be announced for pre order a couple days later, as what's happened with a few reveals. 😂

Mandrakes vs Night Lords is kind of an odd match-up. Especially because Mandrakes would be probably scarier than Night lords, thus stealing their shtick. Mandrakes are a really cool design, they could probably work in AoS too.

11 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

Btw, does the cat have what looks like a hunting rifle next to it? I was thinking about Necromunda, but there's no Necromunda in the preview.

I was going to say that every model is a Necromunda model, after all, but you have a point, of course. So... Underworlds? I mean, every warband these days gets a pet, right?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

Btw, does the cat have what looks like a hunting rifle next to it? I was thinking about Necromunda, but there's no Necromunda in the preview.

looks more like a cane as the metal shaft is kinda twisted

• Like 1