The Rumour Thread

7 hours ago, Beliman said:

Am I the only one that think that that we don't need more armies appart from Malerion elves? 

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with new armies, but we are getting close to 10 years AoS anniversary and some armies are still micro-armies or most of their models are not even from AoS.

*Looks for plastic Chaos Dwarfs, sees none* I think we need at least one or two more armies before we can call it quits.

• Haha 4

52 minutes ago, Gitzdee said:

Does anyone know how popular Necromunda is? I have never met anyone that plays it, but that could just be the local scene.

In my experience Necromunda is one of those weirds games where you don't so much people play it on the regular, as somebody will say "Hey who wants to do a Necromunda campaign for a few weeks?" and then people go out and buy everything for a new gang project/idea they've had (one of several usually) and then after that campaign, it will go into storage for a few months or a year, until it comes back around again.

It's not a game you see people 'pick up and play' at their local, there's almost always a more organised effort around it - in that respect it's not far off a DnD campaign. 

From what I've heard it is a good seller. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gitzdee said:

Does anyone know how popular Necromunda is? I have never met anyone that plays it, but that could just be the local scene.

Are we talking about the actual game, or if people buy the kits to kitbash? I ask because I don’t actually play Necromunda, but I buy the books for the lore and the kits for kitbashing fodder for my 40K armies (mostly chaos and mechanicus).

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, PJetski said:

I really hate this paragraph of special rules that I need to look up in another book

I personally like having more USRs for actually common rules, but I'm used to playing MTG so that's probably why. Definitely prefer it to having the same rule fully written out under a different name on several different warscrolls.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Luperci said:

I personally like having more USRs for actually common rules, but I'm used to playing MTG so that's probably why. Definitely prefer it to having the same rule fully written out under a different name on several different warscrolls.

I’m the complete opposite. I prefer only needing to look at the warscroll to know what everything can do. I have zero desire to return to having to go through pages of a rulebook looking for a specific special rule. That got really old by 7th edition 40K and 8th edition fantasy.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Luperci said:

USR are cool and good but they should be using sparingly

It's hard to know what the right number is, but having a full list of special rules like this is obviously too many

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, RetconnedLegion said:

I’m the complete opposite. I prefer only needing to look at the warscroll to know what everything can do. I have zero desire to return to having to go through pages of a rulebook looking for a specific special rule. That got really old by 7th edition 40K and 8th edition fantasy.

Yeah I can understand that, I appreciate being able to tell what a unit does at a glance instead of having to read through a wall of text. But that only really works if you can remember what the USRs all do.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, PJetski said:

I really hate this paragraph of special rules that I need to look up in another book

agreed.

19 minutes ago, Luperci said:

MTG makes a point of printing what a lot of them do on the simpler cards, they used to even do it for stuff like first strike and trample in certain sets, so they cover for themselves a bit by doing both.

Also there's a spiderfang story in the advent stories, is this a good sign?

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

11 minutes ago, Ganigumo said:

agreed.

MTG makes a point of printing what a lot of them do on the simpler cards, they used to even do it for stuff like first strike and trample in certain sets, so they cover for themselves a bit by doing both.

Also there's a spiderfang story in the advent stories, is this a good sign?

Do you have a link to those advent stories? I didn't see anything on warhammer community yet

That unit profile looks great. If anything I hope that AoS 4th edition will have more USR instead of giving each warscroll more or less the same rule, with only a small change, but a total different name. Just use hatred, frenzy and etc instead. Or keep the random fluffly names. But than add the USR after the random name.

Edited by Tonhel
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, Tonhel said:

That unit profile looks great. If anything I hope that AoS 4th edition will have more USR instead of giving each warscroll more or less the same rule, with only a small change, but a total different name. Just use hatred, frenzy and etc instead. Or keep the random fluffly names. But than add the USR after the random name.

To make everyone happy they can write out the meaning on the warscrolls, just standardize the naming so it's easier to understand 

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, PJetski said:

There's a trade off to it.  On the one hand, yeah, if you don't remember what 'terror' does you need to look it up separately (though in practice you'll likely be looking at the unit entry in some sort of app or 3rd party army builder or wahapedia page where the word "terror" will either have the terror rules printed next to it or will be a link to what the rule terror does.

The benefit of the trade is that the terror rule will work the same for every terrifying unit.  You won't have one concept with half a dozen different subtly different rules implementations across various units in different factions.  If there's a core bodyguard rule, for instance, you won't have to remember that this one works on mortal wounds and that one doesn't, or that this one works on a 2+ and that one works on a 4+, & so on.  If a unit causes fear, then that fear will work the same as all other fear, you won't have one unit's fear that imposes a bravery penalty (non stacking) vs. another that imposes a bravery penalty (does stack) vs a third units fear (no bravery penalty, but extra casualties if a battleshock test fails) vs. a fourth units fear (none of that other stuff but prevents inspiring presence), and so on and so on.

In a keyword special rules system it's possible to actually memorize how all the special rules work, at which point you only need to know which special rules a unit has.  In a bespoke special rules system there's no way to memorize how everything in the game works, so you have to take the time to carefully read what each of your opponents units does each game.

I'm not saying the keyword route is better - I personally prefer bespoke special rules for the extra uniqueness and specificity they allow.  But there are enough tradeoffs that I'm not upset that TOW is going back to the keyword system.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ganigumo said:

They're paid, and were at the bottom of the preview article. You can buy all 12 for the price of 10, or buy them individually. 1 every 2 days.
image.png.a1877ae26de8a400689dc4c49b4e6f50.png

Hoping "Head of the Serpent" includes Seraphon but more than likely will just be a Daughters of Khaine novel. "The One Road" has me pretty interested as well.