The Rumour Thread

2 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

My guess is, at best, they'll go the way of the Freeguild stuff and 'original' units with an aesthetic aligned with the new human stuff. The same way Fusiliers and Cavaliers are both different enough to Handgunners and Demigryphs to pretty much necessitate buying the new version.

I think if they'd repainted the existing Dwarf/Dark Elf models to more closely align with the new box scheme I'd be less cynical about their chances. 

I think Dark Elves will simply go when Malerion finally shows up, like the old HE models made way for LRL. Dispossessed is the real question, because it's still extremely unclear if they are going to be replaced by anything, in cities or out of it.

1 minute ago, Clan's Cynic said:

My guess is, at best, they'll go the way of the Freeguild stuff and 'original' units with an aesthetic aligned with the new human stuff. The same way Fusiliers and Cavaliers are both different enough to Handgunners and Demigryphs to pretty much necessitate buying the new version.

I think if they'd repainted the existing Dwarf/Dark Elf models to more closely align with the new box scheme I'd be less cynical about their chances. 

On the topic of repainted old models...

I'm still waiting for a good look at the new red Hammerhal Aqsha Steam Tank from the background of that one Irondrake/Alchemite focused picture from the Battletome. It even has the same basing as all the other new stuff. Hopefully it'll replace the current Steam Tank as a photo model on the webstore (although the warscroll still uses the Fantasy one for some reason)

2 minutes ago, madmac said:

I think Dark Elves will simply go when Malerion finally shows up, like the old HE models made way for LRL. Dispossessed is the real question, because it's still extremely unclear if they are going to be replaced by anything, in cities or out of it.

I agree with the Dark Elves, but I think if we saw 'original Duardin' in a future CoS wave then seeing 'original Aelves' models isn't out of the question, but I reckon they'd be far less Not!DarkElf coded and something more neutral in design (kind of like how Half Elves are usually depicted in most standard fantasy settings).

On the other hand, Wanderers straight up getting a novel in the months prior didn't save them from being squatted entirely, which does make me wonder just how 'safe' Dispossessed are despite being relatively prominent in the lore.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Snarff said:

I don't think all armies are going to be updated/have a second wave after 4th. That's quite an insane number of second waves. In order alone that's Fyreslayers, KO, DoK and IDK who have yet to receive a second wave, and CoS who just got their first wave. Then there's Lumineth which still need 2 temples worth of waves, Seraphon who still have quite a few outdated kits. DoK and Sylvaneth have a few kits that could really stand to be brought up to AoS standards too.

And that's not even mentioning the Thunderstricification of Stormcast.

Then Chaos has Skaven and BoC that need to be basically completely redone. Every chaos god army has at least a few resin kits that really need updates too.

Death has FeC which are in dire need of an expansion, and OBR which has yet to receive a wave 2. And SBGL for all its kits has mostly got named foot vampires with a lot of battleline still looking outdated.

Destruction same thing, with armies like Bonesplitterz literally just having an UW warband as new models for the entirety of AoS. Kruleboyz need a second wave, Ogors are in desparate need of quite a lot of kit remakes, Gloomspite could really use updates to Spiderfang, Troggoth expansions, some reworks of the more outdated kits etc.

That's a LOT to do in 3-4 years. AoS is waaaay too succesful for an End Times scenario, with GWs financials confirming the game to only be growing, which is an immesurable step up from how WFB fared for at least 3 editions before it got blown up.

I'm guessing that alongside the huge amount of updates to current armies that are still necessary there are at least a few more armies coming (Malerion, Grungi) and some substantial subfactions (Gitmob, Grotbag, more CoS, Gholemkind, Kurnothi, Lumineth River and Lumineth Sun, Stormcast chambers, etc.) which should be more than enough for at least 2 more editions.

So you think rather than revamping everything you've mentioned (which is pretty accurate), they would keep it and at some point discontinue it/ move it to legend and would go for newer (non upgrade from previous minis) stuff instead?

2 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

Original dwarf and elf units would be my preference, but even that would be a huge release that would be guaranteed to make a lot of people unhappy. You can somewhat deal with Dispossessed without losing too many units. Two heroes, a dual build melee unit and new Irondrakes would do it, and there might even be room for a cool new kit or two. But for the old Dark Elf stuff, I think we would be almost guaranteed to lose a significant amount of units. There are just too many models there to realistically update all at once and at the same time with the dwarves.

Just now, madmac said:

The game 100% doesn't need three different Dark Elf factions. I hope they focus on the whole pirate and monster hunter thing the Scourge Privateers have going on for Cities in the future. I think the Order Serpentis and Darkling stuff is thematically too close to DoK/Malerion in the long term, it it really strains believablitity that they are part of Cities at all. Especially now that they are the only elves left in the faction after Wanderers and Phoenix Temple are out.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

On the other hand, Wanderers straight up getting a novel in the months prior didn't save them from being squatted entirely, which does make me wonder just how 'safe' Dispossessed are despite being relatively prominent in the lore.

Beastgrave was out before CoS, so I always had a skeptical eye pointed at Wanderers. I take them being removed now as just another sign that Kurnothi will officially be added to Sylvaneth soon. That's kind of my point though, we have new Light Elves and new Wood Elves and New Dark Elves feel assured at some point, but there's not anything out there like that for Dispossessed. Grugni has returned, we'll almost certainly get a Grombrindal model at some point, but there's no substantial lore hints for a new subrace of Dwarfs to replace dispossessed even now.

30 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

I agree with the Dark Elves, but I think if we saw 'original Duardin' in a future CoS wave then seeing 'original Aelves' models isn't out of the question, but I reckon they'd be far less Not!DarkElf coded and something more neutral in design (kind of like how Half Elves are usually depicted in most standard fantasy settings).

I see the Prince Maesa novel is kind of an argument for removing the wanderers from Cities. The novelisation is on my reading list but I read the inferno stories and listened to the audio dramas. He wanders alone throughout those stories and never meets another member of his own faction. As far as I'm aware Prince Maesa is the only story to mention the wanderers faction at all. Dispossessed on the other hand feature heavily in the recent Gombrindal book, many of the Gotrek books, and quite a few short stories.

As for the future of Cities I'm all but certain that we will eventually see new Aelf and Duardin models for that faction but possibly not until 5th edition or later. I think the next cities update will be for the religious side of the faction, flagellants, warrior priests etc. 

GW is a reactive company these days it just takes three or more years to see that reaction. Three or four years ago people were complaining about the lack of regular humans in the setting. Now people are asking for mixed units and I'm sure we'll see them eventually. GW have shown through warcry and Underworlds that the designers definitely enjoy making mixed units. Even the new Slaanesh warband has three different types of Deamonette. I see no reason why GW wouldn't embrace the chance to do that for cities as it would definitely be a popular move. 

I doubt that the action they will take considering that is seem categorization and making armies similarly unique is more of GW design philosophy.

I think writing is on the wall that City will eventually just be all human in the end as they want an all human race in AoS regardless of what people felt or assume what  city was suppose to be

at the end of the day it started of as a dumping ground for old model and it doesn’t look like discontinuation of Old world models is going to stop

Edited by novakai
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Twisted Firaun said:

I don't think so, I just looked at the RE again and I didn't see a typical plague-bearer horn....

Could be showing some variants of Plaguebearers will be coming, especially if this is for Underworlds. Think the Slaanesh Daemon warband on it way, which definitely diverges from the typical design of them.

• Like 1