The Rumour Thread

4 minutes ago, Nazarjo said:

Given all the New Trog info, what's the chances of getting am entire Trog army? There's enough models at this point to have more variety than FEC, but it does step on Ogors as the other Big Guys army

you can already field a full Trog army in GSG ( in fact it probably one of the best rule set to allow you to play fully into that theme compare to what other armies can do).

of course having more options for Troggs to play with is always an improvement. Having a dedicated wizard with its own spell lore, more support heroes or even an actual behemoth can give them more options on the Tabletop.

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

9 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

Tell you what: The releases are very nice and all, as of late however I am sick of spending money for GW products all the time,

I am complacent with what I have. Also hype doesn't grab me anymore. I know this might just be me and I don't know if it's due to the current state of the world or the release quality of GW products.
Due to this the releases have become somewhat of a >Nice, but I don't really need it< fest although I play CoS. 

Does anyone else feel this way?

I do yeah. Even cutting out my backlog pile, it feels like we're getting to a point where there's too many big releases too close together. MTG is having this issue as well and it really burned players out. Honestly if AOS was getting different things than big model releases (comics, novellas, artbooks, games) I think it would feel less bad?? not that that solves the not spending money part.

State of the world isn't helping either. Summer's been too hot and humid to prime even at night for years (something that was possible when I was a teenager) and it seems wildfire haze is now a new weather event if you're downwind of them. GW raising prices to keep their absurd margins while so many of us have to tighten wallets. And on top of everything being at this tipping point, we STILL have to not only go to work but work 40 or more hour weeks.

It's infuriating and exhausting. Painting still feels good when I get myself to do it, yet even with that, the more details even basic troops get the more anxious even simple painting can start to feel bad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, novakai said:

you can already field a full Trog army in GSG ( in fact it probably one of the best rule set to allow you to play fully into that theme compare to what other armies can do).

of course having more options for Troggs to play with is always an improvement. Having a dedicated wizard with its own spell lore, more support heroes or even an actual behemoth can give them more options on the Tabletop.

Considering in the Harbinger short story and then AGAIN in the book itself the mentions of the 'Portal Troggoth' describe it as the largest Troggoth seen since the Age of Myth leads me to believe itll be the Behemoth that Trogg Herds need!!

1 hour ago, Gitzdee said:

Was thinking about the armoured Troggoth. Could be one for Ironjawz along with the big boar?

These RE could be Ironjawz imho. Although i remember one of these being rumoured as Ogors.

image.png.4470505984a84c7579883fc215d09b53.png

image.png.e608d53cbd8c05cf7d8bc7eff1387cf5.png

Second one was Liked by @Whitefang as an Ogor RE and looks to be an updated Irongut in my opinion.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

State of the world isn't helping either.

I don't want to get off-topic. Just remember that perspective is important and a lot of the information sources of today thrive on pumping out negative narratives. It's important to step back and look at the big picture. 2023 is THE BEST time to be living for the vast majority of human beings, better than any other time in human history. Hundreds of millions of humans have been lifted out of extreme poverty, with more access to education, health and information than ever before. 

As for the GW release cycle, I'm not a fan of how much isn't actually new stuff. If you look at the pre-order page on the GW website today, there isn't really a single new thing. It's just all repackaged stuff in different starter sets. (Incidentally, many of my local FLG's and Warhammer stores still have dozens of copies of Levithian sitting on the shelves.) 

I find frequently that I think, "damn, so many new things coming out this week! 12+ preorders" but when you actually look into it, it's only maybe a handful of actually new things. I sincerely hope this trend doesn't get out of control ( I fear it might with the number of old kits returning for TOW) where they just start churning out old stuff, repackaged because it's nearly all profit)

Edited by Hollow
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

I get why some feel burnt out buying stuff but remember apart from a few items which are exclusive or only available for a certain time period, you don't have to buy anything on release weekend. 

I looked at my buying habits a few years ago when money was tight and realised I got caught in the marketing hype and the next big thing which leads to buying fatigue and a huge backlog of unpainted models. 

While there are still a few releases I get very excited for, such as the lizards and Harbingers book, both of which I picked up on release weekend, other stuff I wait for. 

I actually think GW are onto a winner with their releases as they have so many games and ways into the hobby now and with regular releases for every system there really is something for everyone. 

Having said all that, I'm really excited about Cites and can't wait to get the army box! 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

I do yeah. Even cutting out my backlog pile, it feels like we're getting to a point where there's too many big releases too close together. MTG is having this issue as well and it really burned players out. Honestly if AOS was getting different things than big model releases (comics, novellas, artbooks, games) I think it would feel less bad?? not that that solves the not spending money part.

State of the world isn't helping either. Summer's been too hot and humid to prime even at night for years (something that was possible when I was a teenager) and it seems wildfire haze is now a new weather event if you're downwind of them. GW raising prices to keep their absurd margins while so many of us have to tighten wallets. And on top of everything being at this tipping point, we STILL have to not only go to work but work 40 or more hour weeks.

It's infuriating and exhausting. Painting still feels good when I get myself to do it, yet even with that, the more details even basic troops get the more anxious even simple painting can start to feel bad.

I disagree about the too many big releases thing. We've had a ton of battletome releases, but not really that many model releases this edition.
Its been what, kruleboyz, stormcast, STD, seraphon and now cities?
Maybe its an issue if you want to play all those armies, but that seems more like a prioritization issue.

I absolutely agree that the models are getting more busy though, and its something the design team should be a bit more careful about.
I painted a bonesplitterz army in january, and those models don't have too much going on, and it was pretty nice to paint. I even experimented with a bunch of freehand. Then I painted a unit of 10 kairics last week or something and it felt like that took ages.

Kruleboyz get a lot of flak for being tough to paint, but IMO the only models that were a pain were the monsters if you're using contasts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gitzdee said:

Was thinking about the armoured Troggoth. Could be one for Ironjawz along with the big boar?

These RE could be Ironjawz imho. Although i remember one of these being rumoured as Ogors.

image.png.4470505984a84c7579883fc215d09b53.png

image.png.e608d53cbd8c05cf7d8bc7eff1387cf5.png

Yeah the bottom hammer is very similar to Ogor ones, however it’s fair to say they might end up sharing aesthetics like that anyway from them all re-using design ideas under Gorkamorka so it’s a dice roll between Ogors, Troggoths & Ironjawz.

Like how both Ironjawz weapons and new Ogors like to put metal teeth on their weapons to symbolize the Gulping God’s mighty bite.

99120209030_Brutes01.jpg
Blackpowders-Buccaneers-1.png?fit=1000,1

Wouldn’t be a stretch to see Ironjawz wielding Ogor design weapons in the reverse.

Edited by Baron Klatz
  • Like 2

Overall, the road map has been a net positive for me. Less uncertainty means I've been able to enjoy the hobby more. There's been a high frequency of hype build up on twitch and warcom which has, ironically, led to me not frequenting the site much and instead relied on indirect sources. Warcry releases barely register with me any more. In end it is a good thing, to re-prioritise and focus.

For other, I suppose, the hype-train had to stop somewhere. Plus, there's other factors in life which probably takes priority like @EonChao mentioned.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ganigumo said:

I disagree about the too many big releases thing. We've had a ton of battletome releases, but not really that many model releases this edition.

I meant over the entirety of GW as that's what it seemed like Jack's post was about.

though Hollow makes an excellent point here which might factor into the malaise

1 hour ago, Hollow said:

If you look at the pre-order page on the GW website today, there isn't really a single new thing. It's just all repackaged stuff in different starter sets. (Incidentally, many of my local FLG's and Warhammer stores still have dozens of copies of Levithian sitting on the shelves.) 

1 hour ago, Ganigumo said:

Its been what, kruleboyz, stormcast, STD, seraphon and now cities?
Maybe its an issue if you want to play all those armies, but that seems more like a prioritization issue.

I absolutely agree that the models are getting more busy though, and its something the design team should be a bit more careful about.
I painted a bonesplitterz army in january, and those models don't have too much going on, and it was pretty nice to paint. I even experimented with a bunch of freehand. Then I painted a unit of 10 kairics last week or something and it felt like that took ages.

Kruleboyz get a lot of flak for being tough to paint, but IMO the only models that were a pain were the monsters if you're using contasts.

Yeah with AoS there hasn’t been many big release to really feel burnout from the community unless your in both the 40K and AoS space. Though I can see people burnout on rules update as it seems the game keep changing more frequently then it use to.

Rather this is the first year out of Covid lockdown and it probably the best time to do things other then Warhammer that where put on pause when the pandemic happening (like traveling is pretty big right now)

• Like 1

I guess its possible to feel burnout depending on what u collect. Some armies havent had a proper update in 20 years. Some get frequent updates.

Its been a good year for me with updates to Gitz, Nighthaunt, Sylvaneth and Ironjawz up next. It could be years before some of these armies get updated again though. I will take my sweet time instead of buying it all asap. 

• Like 2

On 7/15/2023 at 3:45 PM, MitGas said:

perhaps they want to give people the chance to make their own bug-people for AoS.

Okay, this is a huge pet peeve of mine.
Why on earth did GW not make Tyranids a species in Warhammer Fantasy (or update in the move to Age oF Sigmar) and give each unit the ability to be built without silly bio-weapons? Similarly why on earth did they not give Seraphon a sprue of cool crystaline blaster weapons for some sci-fi goodness. The fact that Demons are the only faction that can truly work in both has always irked me when Giant Insects and Star Lizards could easily join them in crossing between Science fiction and fantasy.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Neverchosen said:

Why on earth did GW not make Tyranids a species in Warhammer Fantasy (or update in the move to Age oF Sigmar) and give each unit the ability to be built without silly bio-weapons? Similarly why on earth did they not give Seraphon a sprue of cool crystaline blaster weapons for some sci-fi goodness. The fact that Demons are the only faction that can truly work in both has always irked me when Giant Insects and Star Lizards could easily join them in crossing between Science fiction and fantasy.

Seraphon should absolutely have mayan themed "not sci-fi" weapons. I guess its more of a skink thing than a saurus thing, but it would've been a cool way to AoSify the range.

Tyranids kind of bother me. I've always found the bio weapons just looking like guns made of chitin to be a bit, wierd? Like why would a species evolve a rifle they carry around instead of something like propulsive spines. The hard commitment to the bug-style appearance across the range is also strange to me. Evolution tends to favor diversity and crabs, and being able to manipulate the evolution directly feels like there should be way less uniformity in appearance than there is. The narrative is way too absurd for me too, even by 40k standards nids stand out, in large part because of the scale of the problem

I kind of wish they'd rewrite the narrative to something more grounded. Like get rid of the hive fleets for the most part and push them as a sort of sneaky out of control bio weapon that infiltrates planets, builds its strength quietly, devours the rest, then spreads to another planet.

On the other hand though I love GSC.

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

1 hour ago, Neverchosen said:

You know, actually now that I think of it, you're absolutely right - those two examples could work in both systems with a few different bits. I'd even say that Seraphon could work really well in 40k, I mean Zoats weren't uncool either. Nids I think are a bit too bio-mechanical (would still work but the look is a bit too linked to sci-fi to me) but IMO the reason we see no silent ones might be that they'd take away from Sylvaneth - perhaps Sylvaneth will get a bug unit or two in the future, would certainly fit. They did get nice additions recently, almost the only army to receive units instead of heroes but they, much like idoneth, could branch out in so many cool directions it's hard to just pick one. I love the female ranger mini too (Qulathis?) so I hope more such minis find their way into Sylvaneth but anything bug is fair game at this point as they got a couple of bugs already.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Neverchosen said:

I'm glad they haven't done that, just smacks of laziness. 

It works for demons because of the lore, but I'll much rather unique armies across both universes than shoehorning model ranges into a setting they weren't designed for. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Ogregut said:

I'm glad they haven't done that, just smacks of laziness. 

It works for demons because of the lore, but I'll much rather unique armies across both universes than shoehorning model ranges into a setting they weren't designed for. 

But the Slann were originally a part of 40k, alongside this dude.

1 hour ago, Neverchosen said:

But the Slann were originally a part of 40k, alongside this dude.

True, doesn't mean seraphon need to be fighting space marines tho. 

If they are going to put dinosaurs in 40k, put Eldar on the back and give us Exodites. 

If they are going to bring bug men into AoS make them silent people. 

The Mortal Realms and the 40K universe are vast enough to have unique armies.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, CommissarRotke said:

I’m not sure how well the MTG thing maps over all that well. The reason there’s so much burnout there is that almost every MTG release theoretically applies to every player (apart from some format specific sets etc) and you need to keep buying to keep up. Unless you play lots of armies, which is a choice, most GW releases shouldn’t really apply to you. How many big model releases has AoS actually had, and how many of them do you need to get?

I don’t disagree with the rest. World’s whack. 

Edited by Still-young
  • Like 2

Do we have any idea of when/if a new Seraphon vanguard box will be released? (And, assumedly, they finally make new ones for SBG and OBR) The Slaves to Darkness one came out at the same time as the rest of the range, maybe they didn't want the Seraphon release so close to 10ed? It's very strange to me

Edited by Nazarjo
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Hollow said:

I don't want to get off-topic. Just remember that perspective is important and a lot of the information sources of today thrive on pumping out negative narratives. It's important to step back and look at the big picture. 2023 is THE BEST time to be living for the vast majority of human beings, better than any other time in human history. Hundreds of millions of humans have been lifted out of extreme poverty, with more access to education, health and information than ever before. 

As for the GW release cycle, I'm not a fan of how much isn't actually new stuff. If you look at the pre-order page on the GW website today, there isn't really a single new thing. It's just all repackaged stuff in different starter sets. (Incidentally, many of my local FLG's and Warhammer stores still have dozens of copies of Levithian sitting on the shelves.) 

I find frequently that I think, "damn, so many new things coming out this week! 12+ preorders" but when you actually look into it, it's only maybe a handful of actually new things. I sincerely hope this trend doesn't get out of control ( I fear it might with the number of old kits returning for TOW) where they just start churning out old stuff, repackaged because it's nearly all profit)

I have a degree in Anthropology, and this sounds like ****** to me. 

If you're gonna quote Pinker, just don't. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6
  • Confused 1