The Rumour Thread

1 hour ago, sandlemad said:

So too does the definition of what’s ‘AoS-appropriate’, which can come off as sticking to a very narrow and flashy idea of what the background is meant to be like.

I wasn't active in old fantasy nor was I keeping up with AoS 1 really so I don't doubt the vitriol people accuse some Oldhammer players of spreading when AoS was young, but the whole "I'm glad your entire army/money/painting/time is going down the drain because it better fits my idea of what AoS SHOULD look like!" (Exaggerated for effect) seems like exactly the kind of gatekeeping attitude that is so derided of Oldhammer fans.

Then someone mentioned how beasts of chaos COULD get trash canned as well (no offense to the individual) and if GW thinks I'm going to be a good little consumer and buy buy buy the latest shiny new toy after they invalidate BOTH my armies than they can [insert something that would definitely break community guidelines] where the sun don't shine.

Okay. I'm done venting on this topic. Back to positive TGA.

• Like 7

Nice article from GW. Although it's a shame that the High Elves units are removed from AoS, but to be honest lots of cool mini's were already removed (Skycutter and etc..).

Anyway I am curious what this means for Beasts of Chaos, as they are in the same position as the High and Wood elves stuff. They also have an entry in the Old World factions. That said Dwarves are also in TOW, but they stay in AoS. Bizar.

30 minutes ago, The Red King said:

"I'm glad your entire army/money/painting/time is going down the drain because it better fits my idea of what AoS SHOULD look like!"

Except your time and money is only down the drain if you accept it that way? Will people refuse games with you because you have older models? Most likely not, right? Especially if you still have a rulebook you can play with them?

Idk mates, we know WHFB died in part because the core fans eventually stopped buying as they filled out their collections. In that sense, these refreshes and squattings are inevitable. I'm not a fan of how GW operates but it is clear they have to do these major shakeups to keep their (stupidly large) operating profit going to give us newer stuff.

that should never invalidate the enjoyment we've already had building, painting, and playing IMO.

• Like 12
  • Confused 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

4 minutes ago, Tonhel said:

Anyway I am curious what this means for Beasts of Chaos, as they are in the same position as the High and Wood elves stuff. They also have an entry in the Old World factions. That said Dwarves are also in TOW, but they stay in AoS. Bizar.

A safe bet for any future purchases for AOS would be to make sure they are not old fantasy models. In theory all of them will be cut from Age of Sigmar at some point. And as GW said you can play them in Old Worlds or proxy.

Of course just based off of what is staying vs leaving right now Cities this process will take several more years.

• Like 1

Just now, RyantheFett said:

A safe bet for any future purchases for AOS would be to make sure they are not old fantasy models. In theory all of them will be cut from Age of Sigmar at some point. And as GW said you can play them in Old Worlds or proxy.

Of course just based off of what is staying vs leaving right now Cities this process will take several more years.

Yeah, If I will start a new AoS army or in this case a new CoS army, I will avoide mini's that existed before AoS.  For TOW I will go full in with STL's. There is a lot of amazing "old world" stuff on patreon / tribes.

• Like 2

The problem now with the state of current Cities kits is... I have to motivate myself to paint the Celestial Hurricanum, a model chock full of details, in sub assemblies... (I'd rather paint a Saga warband instead)

Matthew Whitby on Twitter: "@freeners [Kylo Ren GIF: "I know what I have to do  but I don't know if I have the strength to do it."]  https://t.co/o4NPacIUE5" / Twitter

17 minutes ago, Tonhel said:

Nice article from GW. Although it's a shame that the High Elves units are removed from AoS, but to be honest lots of cool mini's were already removed (Skycutter and etc..).

HE cut out will inevitably pop up and TOW, and leave room for new LRL units - which I'm sure LRL players would appreciate, provided they don't come with another battletome. 

18 minutes ago, Tonhel said:

Gonna repeat myself (sorry for those who have heard this rant before) but to me the 40k Chaos Beastman Kill Team heralds a new age of Beasts of Chaos sculpts. Which means you can kill two birds in one stone and cover Old World and AoS Beastmen in one release... just sayin'.

5 minutes ago, The Lost Sigmarite said:

The problem now with the state of current Cities kits is... I have to motivate myself to paint the Celestial Hurricanum, a model chock full of details, in sub assemblies... (I'd rather paint a Saga warband instead)

Matthew Whitby on Twitter: "@freeners [Kylo Ren GIF: "I know what I have to do  but I don't know if I have the strength to do it."]  https://t.co/o4NPacIUE5" / Twitter

HE cut out will inevitably pop up and TOW, and leave room for new LRL units - which I'm sure LRL players would appreciate, provided they don't come with another battletome. 

Gonna repeat myself (sorry for those who have heard this rant before) but to me the 40k Chaos Beastman Kill Team heralds a new age of Beasts of Chaos sculpts. Which means you can kill two birds in one stone and cover Old World and AoS Beastmen in one release... just sayin'.

In the beginning I also thought that  lots of AoS and TOW sets would be interchangeable, but now I am not so sure anymore. So AoS beastmen and TOW beastmen could look very different if there are ever new Beast of Chaos mini's for AoS. The hero that was released a while ago, could have been a mini that they intented to release for Warhammer.

Edited by Tonhel
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tonhel said:

In the beginning I also thought that  lots of AoS and TOW sets would be interchangeable, but now I am not so sure anymore. So AoS beastmen and TOW beastmen could look very different if there are ever new Beast of Chaos mini's for AoS. The hero that was released a while ago, could have been a mini that they intented to release for Warhammer.

GW said in the Old World FAQ conference at WHFest that AoS Seraphon would replace the old Lizardmen kits and get according rules for TOW. I don't see why TOW Beastmen and AoS BoC wouldn't be the same. After all, a mutated chaos goat man works in both universes just fine without a need to do separate kits.

12 minutes ago, The Lost Sigmarite said:

GW said in the Old World FAQ conference at WHFest that AoS Seraphon would replace the old Lizardmen kits and get according rules for TOW. I don't see why TOW Beastmen and AoS BoC wouldn't be the same. After all, a mutated chaos goat man works in both universes just fine without a need to do separate kits.

I don’t think they said it that way, they just mention that where not planning to bring the old lizardmen models back (because it not a core faction of old world at launch) not that the new AoS model would be use in old world.

in fact they specifically said that they where not planing to have cross between the two system

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, RyantheFett said:

Cities is that weird army that gets a lot of aggro with a lot of people thinking it was placeholder and just way to shut up the Fantasy fans until the Old World came out. I got into Cities about a year ago and even the GW store owner said don't do it Cities is not a real faction lol.

And today was the first step to proving them right. Hopefully GW commits to keeping different races in the faction and we have the orges as a good sign that they may.

It really depends on your perspective on what the initial City book was meant to be.

either you believe it was novel concept and an interesting take on an order army of various different races and that what it going to be moving foward

or it was just a temporary fix to update every army with a battletome at a time where AoS never got everything updated and playable. And that culling models was not going to stop because GW was still retiring models at the time

my perspective was that when they cut High elves before city was launch so they could release LRL , that was the biggest sign of what GW going to do moving and probably still is. 

Hek I feel the only reason there an ogor in freeguild is because they just copying imperial guard from 40K

Edited by novakai
  • Like 3

53 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

Except your time and money is only down the drain if you accept it that way? Will people refuse games with you because you have older models? Most likely not, right? Especially if you still have a rulebook you can play with them?

Idk mates, we know WHFB died in part because the core fans eventually stopped buying as they filled out their collections. In that sense, these refreshes and squattings are inevitable. I'm not a fan of how GW operates but it is clear they have to do these major shakeups to keep their (stupidly large) operating profit going to give us newer stuff.

that should never invalidate the enjoyment we've already had building, painting, and playing IMO.

The opening point is disingenuous imo. We both know GW hasn't come to my house and smashed my old models (yet) but that's hardly the same as saying they're still playable in any real sense.

GW needs these shakeups to keep up their shareholders and c-suits stupidly large paychecks but this is not the place to soapbox about income inequality so I'll concede we both want them to stay in business and leave it at that.

59 minutes ago, Tonhel said:

As seen over the last few pages I'm pretty pessimistic when it comes to GW but even I don't think Beasts are seriously in the running to being removed. Unlike wanderers they have a warband (kurnothi were and will be sylvaneth) and they got the new beastlord sculpt and they have their own separate book which wanderers never had, so I dont THINK they're going to relegate them to TOW only or anything like that. But hope is the first step on the road to disappointment I've heard.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Red King said:

I wasn't active in old fantasy nor was I keeping up with AoS 1 really so I don't doubt the vitriol people accuse some Oldhammer players of spreading when AoS was young, but the whole "I'm glad your entire army/money/painting/time is going down the drain because it better fits my idea of what AoS SHOULD look like!" (Exaggerated for effect) seems like exactly the kind of gatekeeping attitude that is so derided of Oldhammer fans.

The more things change the more they stay the same.

I happen to like the new CoS cause it brings me back to Mordeim but there's isn't much that says, "this factions draws upon the many different mortal factions and races of the realms." It has a distinct Blanche-esque appearance. A huge opportunity to have units mixed with all kinds of races was missed here, i.e. the result of cultural exchange and collaboration to more effectively beat back the many threats they face.

Still cool minis and having a more grounded human faction does tend be successful since it easier to relate to and place yourself in the setting. Not quite what I imagined when thinking of CoS but that's apparently where we're going. The imperial guard for AoS.

Edited by pnkdth
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I think when they release the new Waywarcher for cursed city and it had both the Kurnothi and Sylvaneath keyword and not for Cities like the other heroes, that was probably on purpose and signifying what they where going to do.

even if the model is in legends as of now

• Like 1

1 minute ago, novakai said:

I think when they release the new Waywarcher for cursed city and it had both the Kurnothi and Sylvaneath keyword and not for Cities like the other heroes, that was probably on purpose and signifying what they where going to do.

WH Quest, just like Underworlds, really does feel like the studio testing prototypes of upcoming factions, to sort of test the waters before a range refresh or range addition. I'd not be surprised if we saw some Cursed City looking minis in CoS or Kurnothi. 

With the official confirmation that Dark Elves and Dwarves are staying, this implies that their future renewals (Malerion/Duardin clans) are going to be long term. So, that brings the Chorfs closer as the forgotten faction coming back in 2024! Let's goooo! 

Edit: And none can change my mind! I'm full of hopium right now!

Edited by Nezzhil
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, Nezzhil said:

With the official confirmation that Dark Elves and Dwarves are staying, this implies that their future renewals (Malerion/Duardin clans) are going to be long term. So, that brings the Chorfs closer as the forgotten faction coming back in 2024! Let's goooo! 

I actually think this is where these factions are headed, too.

2 minutes ago, novakai said:

I don’t think they said it that way, they just mention that where not planning to bring the old lizardmen models back (because it not a core faction of old world at launch) not that the new AoS model would be use in old world.

in fact they specifically said that they where not planing to have cross between the two system

I will go even further with this. If they really want to sell TOW (and not just protect the IP), then from a business perspective all interchangeability of models should be removed ASAP. All kits must be assigned to only one system and if that is not possible (Seraphon, Skaven, Beastmen) then such problematic factions should never become the focus of TOW. That is me in GW CEO shoes.

22 minutes ago, Nezzhil said:

So, that brings the Chorfs closer as the forgotten faction coming back in 2024! Let's goooo!

Is there any chance that, instead of a new army, GW could focus in a second big wave of Kharadrons? Or Fyreslayers? Maybe Ironjawz? What about OBR? Or kruleboyz? Why not Idoneth?

...common GW, there are armies that have more heroes than troops. Maybe it's time to finish your job! /rantoff

• Like 8

1 hour ago, novakai said:

3 minutes ago, Flippy said:

I will go even further with this. If they really want to sell TOW (and not just protect the IP), then from a business perspective all interchangeability of models should be removed ASAP. All kits must be assigned to only one system and if that is not possible (Seraphon, Skaven, Beastmen) then such problematic factions should never become the focus of TOW. That is me in GW CEO shoes.

The armies TOW is going to focus on:
Empire, Dwarves, Brettonians, Wood Elves, High Elves, Orcs & Goblins, Warriors of Chaos, Beastmen, Tomb Kings

The armies they aren't:

Dark Elves, Skaven, Vampire Counts, Daemons, Ogres, Lizardmen, Chaos Dwarves

Every army they aren't focusing on except Chaos Dwarves (for the time being) has, or is expected to get a proper AOS refresh, and currently has AoS model support.

All of the armies they are going to focus on, with the exceptions of beastmen and warriors of chaos, had large swathes squatted that need to be replaced.

This isn't a coincidence. They chose the armies they are going to support in the old world based on necessity and popularity.

They are going to make rules for the armies they aren't supporting, they've already said that, but aren't supporting them with releases or narrative, because they don't really need to.

They are absolutely double dipping here by letting the AoS team handle the model updates for the armies they aren't focusing on, while the TOW team make models for the ones they aren't. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Ganigumo said:

The armies TOW is going to focus on:
Empire, Dwarves, Brettonians, Wood Elves, High Elves, Orcs & Goblins, Warriors of Chaos, Beastmen, Tomb Kings

The armies they aren't:

Dark Elves, Skaven, Vampire Counts, Daemons, Ogres, Lizardmen, Chaos Dwarves

Every army they aren't focusing on except Chaos Dwarves (for the time being) has, or is expected to get a proper AOS refresh, and currently has AoS model support.

All of the armies they are going to focus on, with the exceptions of beastmen and warriors of chaos, had large swathes squatted that need to be replaced.

This isn't a coincidence. They chose the armies they are going to support in the old world based on necessity and popularity.

They are going to make rules for the armies they aren't supporting, they've already said that, but aren't supporting them with releases or narrative, because they don't really need to.

They are absolutely double dipping here by letting the AoS team handle the model updates for the armies they aren't focusing on, while the TOW team make models for the ones they aren't. 

It depends on what it means to double dip, the armies that aren’t be focused in TOW will at best have PDF rules but probably zero actual product support. You can buy the AoS models for old worlds but in your own you have to base them yourself and there no guided way to start those armies if you new. Often time these PDF legend army are afterthought in the game sometimes.

i don’t expect the same level of support compare to say daemon of chaos which belonging in both settings.

it probably that even at launch the core factions and the models are not ready for the game outside of Tomb kings and Bretonnia 

Edited by novakai
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Nezzhil said:

2024 seem a bit optimistic lol. Hell they could not even get thought all of the human stuff this round, but keep that hope alive!! Two or three maybe??????

I do wonder how they will spin when they pull the rest of the non human stuff from the faction since they said to just proxy  the stuff they cut right now?

8 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Same thought here.

I mean clan verminus is a give.

that clan looks fantastic and isn’t really in need of an update at all.

if we go though to clan pestilence.

i could see gw deciding to just do nothing there, which I hope won’t be the case.

and for the other clans, i don’t think they can really ignore those.

clan skryre and moulder in dire need of an update as well as eshin.

(the masterclan is fine)

This is much more interesting speculation than all that boring talk about the Bohemian Hussites of Sigmar.

(Will CoS adopt  Bohemian Rhapsody as their new anthem? "Is this the real world...or is it just fantasy..."xD...).

I am hopeful that all finecast and metal minis will be updated for Skaven. Also new models to replace the 1990's plastic ninja monkeys.

I never did buy the ninja monkeys. With all the other older models I might do the square base thing. 

Anyway, if they do replace all the non plastic, that will be a big release. Let me see if I can list them all:

Pestilence:

Priest ( Lord Skrolk) - resin

Censor Bearers - resin

Moulder:

Master Moulder (Skweel Gnawtooth) - metal

Rat Swarms - metal

Eshin:

Gutter Runners - metal

Ninja Monkeys - plastic, but please GW, do something about this eyesore! (Even if it means leaving all the metal and resin in the range. Just update this one kit.)

Skyre:

Arch-warlock (was this one Ikit Klaw?) -metal

Warlock-Engineers - metal

Doomflayers - resin

Gattling gun team - metal

Warpfire Thrower team - metal

Warp-grinder team - metal

Skyre Acolytes - metal

I think Master Clan and Clan Verminous are OK or now. Did I miss anything? The plastic rat orges are functional, but not really inspired sculpts. That would mean replacing the whole kit including packmasters and the rat-rat-ratties.

That would be 12 units to upgrade plus a few really bad plastic kits that are in desperate need of replacement. This is assuming they don't add anything new to the range. TW:Warhammer is getting some new Skaven stuff, I believe. Some sort of mutant clan a bit like Moulder. Will they show up in AoS?

Will GW really do a Skaven release of that size?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ogregut said:

I wouldnt, I'll rather a brand new monster as weird and terrifying as befits a creature from the depths. 

A good article from GW and nice to have confirmation of what's been rumoured for ages. 

Picked up an anvilgurad starter set for my Old World dark elves and I can't wait to see what else is coming for CoS.

Any new monster for Idoneth gets a yes from me.

• Like 2