The Rumour Thread

24 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

I also think Admech, Ogor and Sylvaneth are worse boxes for more money.

I'm curious why you think the Sylvaneth box is bad/worse? It's one of the few* Vanguard boxes I would be happy to buy multiple times personally as a relatively new collectors of AoS with a small current army. I could easily see myself getting 3 - 4 of them as I build up my Sylvaneth. 

The Branchwych is a bit of a waste of time having multiples of, sure, but that applies to the old Start Collecting box + most of the other Vanguard equally.

*Gitz, Idoneth, maybe DoK and Nurgle are the only other ones I could see myself getting 3+ of if I collected those armies, although I'll acknowledge I'm not hugely knowledgeable on most of the armies outside of Sylvaneth/Soulblight/S2D.

52 minutes ago, Snarff said:

I just think it totally took away sales from the Magmadroth and Vulkites separately.

Iirc the separate Magmadroth was priced the same as the SC and apparently if you ordered it on its own they'd just send you the SC anyway...

• Haha 3

Just now, EntMan said:

Iirc the separate Magmadroth was priced the same as the SC and apparently if you ordered it on its own they'd just send you the SC anyway...

You could still buy it in a bunch of stores though, it was priced the same there too. There was literally no reason not to get the SC if you needed either a Magmadroth or a bunch of Vulkites (although Vulkites are in literally everything now).

5 hours ago, zilberfrid said:

I would have thought a launch box would not double on a unit, that seems more like vanguard territory. A launch box is a perfect time to give a smorgasboard of options.

That's also why I think Vanguards are on average  worse than Start Collecting for, well, collectors, which includes me.

Looking at you specifically, Fyreslayers.

I think only the Fyreslayers vanguard box doubles up on a unit doesn't it? Whereas the launch boxes for Leagues of Votann, Prisoners with Jobs to Darkness and Imperial Guard all doubled up on at least one unit. Admittedly it'd probably be preferable for this to have doubled up on Saurus if you're a completely new player but the skinks are a new unit so it probably makes it more appealing to anyone who already plays too this way.

1 hour ago, ArcLight said:

I'm curious why you think the Sylvaneth box is bad/worse? It's one of the few* Vanguard boxes I would be happy to buy multiple times personally as a relatively new collectors of AoS with a small current army. I could easily see myself getting 3 - 4 of them as I build up my Sylvaneth. 

The Branchwych is a bit of a waste of time having multiples of, sure, but that applies to the old Start Collecting box + most of the other Vanguard equally.

*Gitz, Idoneth, maybe DoK and Nurgle are the only other ones I could see myself getting 3+ of if I collected those armies, although I'll acknowledge I'm not hugely knowledgeable on most of the armies outside of Sylvaneth/Soulblight/S2D.

I don't play the game, so doubling would never work for me. I collect a few models though.

The Vanguard only has 10 models, and while these are pretty, it has to compete with 18 from the SC. I also think the dryads are more usable in D&D like games.

Gitz Vanguard gives you squigs, shooty goblins, stabby goblins, short goblins (riders from the squig hoppers) and squigs with goblins on them in two varieties, as well as trolls. That's a brilliant box.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, EonChao said:

I think only the Fyreslayers vanguard box doubles up on a unit doesn't it? Whereas the launch boxes for Leagues of Votann, Prisoners with Jobs to Darkness and Imperial Guard all doubled up on at least one unit. Admittedly it'd probably be preferable for this to have doubled up on Saurus if you're a completely new player but the skinks are a new unit so it probably makes it more appealing to anyone who already plays too this way.

I do remember not buying the Votann box because I have no need for doubles, so you are correct.

Which is dumb, launch boxes are the perfect time for variety.

If the Seraphon launch box replaced the second skink riders with the Saurus riders or the Warcry chameleons & pterosaurs, it would have been an instant buy.

2 hours ago, Snarff said:

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the core Fyreslayers look, but more variety (focus on more Magmadroths especially) is needed. I really don't think the old SC sold poorly, it was amazing value for your money. I just think it totally took away sales from the Magmadroth and Vulkites separately.

At the two shops I regularely frequented, they said Fyreslayers were selling awfully. One of them still hadn't run out of the initial 5 SC, and only sold one other FS box in (I think) 2022.

Yes but its an army box- doubling on a unit  does give a good basis for an army, I found it very useful for the Votann box as much as I wanted more units I've used the box contents as a basis for a playable army. But as a collector I'd definitely love a unit of Kroxigor in there. Double units also means you can do different builds with the units too,  when there is just one of them I tend to be a bit more precious on how I build them. 

• Like 2

What made the Fyreslayer Vanguard an even bigger slap in the face is that while losing the Magmadroth was beyond dumb, they could have salvaged it a bit if they doubled up on Hearthguard when they're so expensive (5 for £32 RPP).

Instead they doubled up on Vulkites, the one unit every Fyreslayer player is sick of and who I'd bet just about every potential new collector thinks is the dullest unit you can get.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, silverstu said:

Yes but its an army box- doubling on a unit  does give a good basis for an army, I found it very useful for the Votann box as much as I wanted more units I've used the box contents as a basis for a playable army. But as a collector I'd definitely love a unit of Kroxigor in there. Double units also means you can do different builds with the units too,  when there is just one of them I tend to be a bit more precious on how I build them. 

Yeah, I shouldn't fault this army game for making boxes that fit an army. I really like boxes like SC: Skinks that give good variety, but I am not the target audience.

There is no excuse for Fyreslayers though.

1 hour ago, zilberfrid said:

At the two shops I regularely frequented, they said Fyreslayers were selling awfully. One of them still hadn't run out of the initial 5 SC, and only sold one other FS box in (I think) 2022.

Where I frequented there were quite a few Fyreslayer mains and a few with FS armies as well. They're definitely not one of the bestselling factions, but so are others.

I almost never buy anything locally anyways when the price is just outright 20% lower online.

55 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

What made the Fyreslayer Vanguard an even bigger slap in the face is that while losing the Magmadroth was beyond dumb, they could have salvaged it a bit if they doubled up on Hearthguard when they're so expensive (5 for £32 RPP).

Instead they doubled up on Vulkites, the one unit every Fyreslayer player is sick of and who I'd bet just about every potential new collector thinks is the dullest unit you can get.

They just give us Vulkites with everything. Fury of the Deep, one unit for each start collecting, and now two in the Vanguard. I like their sculpts so much more than Hearthguard (which are really cool too but so static), I just don't need any Vulkites anymore ever.

• Like 1

Just now, Noserenda said:

You can tell FS units apart? 

Its an odd choice certainly, it seems they are one of the lower selling lines so you might expect a better value box to encourage people to invest?

I really just hope they're waiting to do a Sylvaneth-style expansion. Some Demidroth cavalry and female Duardin (and an Avatar of Grimnir) and suddenly the range makes perfect sense.

As for now they're about as varied as Dispossessed currently are or Ironjawz without the Gore-Gruntas.

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 2

14 minutes ago, Noserenda said:

You can tell FS units apart? 

Its an odd choice certainly, it seems they are one of the lower selling lines so you might expect a better value box to encourage people to invest?

I can only guess they decided against including the Magmadroth in the Vanguard because they figured a big centrepiece model like it has enough 'pull' for people to buy it separately regardless.

The problem, if that is their logic, is that getting said centrepiece in the Start Collecting(!) was a fantastic lure to start a faction which otherwise is frankly very samey. Fyreslayers are also still one of the most expensive AoS armies to collect by virtue of having been priced back at the tail end of The Dark Times, so the Magmadroth coming with Vulkites did a lot to salve that - which is why only getting x5 Hearthguard in the Vanguard is almost as much of a joke as not getting the Magmadroth anymore.

11 minutes ago, Snarff said:

I really just hope they're waiting to do a Sylvaneth-style expansion. Some Demidroth cavalry and female Duardin (and an Avatar of Grimnir) and suddenly the range makes perfect sense.

As for now they're about as varied as Dispossessed currently are or Ironjawz without the Gore-Gruntas.

I actually laughed out loud when I saw the Flamekeeper the first time. Oh boy, another brazier-holding priest on foot, we only had two of those already! After that I'm not really optimistic for anything Fyreslayers anymore, although the fact they've not been pushed together into a Soup 'Tome is a promising sign they must have some long-term plans or designs saved on a computer somewhere.

I find it funny that Conquest, a game which only released in 2019, has a Dwarf army with a fire elemental-themed sub-faction which has more models/different designs than Fyreslayers at this point.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 3

Just now, KingBrodd said:

For me personally 4.0 is the final tell for Fyreslayers.

If they recieve a Single mini release again than I feel for Fyreslayer fans as thats it for them in the mainline.

Why wait 9 years over 3 Editions for something new.

Gives me PTSD from waiting for new Bretonnian models vor a decade... -.-

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

10 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

Oh boy, another brazier-holding priest on foot, we only had two of those already!

It's true that we definitely didn't need a model like it anymore, the model itself I think is gorgeous. Just like the recent Ossiarch model. More models with that armor style would be super welcome and very fitting to the lore.

18 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

I'm not really optimistic for anything Fyreslayers anymore, although the fact they've not been pushed together into a Soup 'Tome is a promising sign they must have some long-term plans or designs saved on a computer somewhere.

There just has to be something coming. Grimnir being confirmed to be getting powered up (though not ready to return yet), something stirring beneath the main FS lodge due to the Rite of Life, neither FS nor KO getting souped, both explicitly not going along with Grungi, and all in lore attempts of Duardin unification not amounting to anything. I know GW drops a lot of lore threads, but Grimnir returning is on par with Morathi's apotheosis in both importance and being built up ever since all the way back in AoS1.

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

Just now, Snarff said:

It's true that we definitely didn't need a model like it anymore, the model itself I think is gorgeous. Just like the recent Ossiarch model. More models with that armor style would be super welcome and very fitting to the lore.

The baseless conspiracy theory that I 100% believe is that the new Ossifector is just a variant Boneshaper that they had designed for the initial release of the faction but not put into production. It's basically the exact same guy in a different pose.

I actually think this kind of thing could be the case for a lot of single hero releases (as well as limited release models). Not that I have any info to actually confirm it, though.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

The baseless conspiracy theory that I 100% believe is that the new Ossifector is just a variant Boneshaper that they had designed for the initial release of the faction but not put into production. It's basically the exact same guy in a different pose.

I actually think this kind of thing could be the case for a lot of single hero releases (as well as limited release models). Not that I have any info to actually confirm it, though.

A lot of single hero releases are probably just repurposed test models (either having the new guy practice making a model using established elements, or experimenting with a new design direction) just like Underworlds has always been a way to monetize the same sort of thing.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

My own baseless conspiracy theory is a lot of these Heroes are what the newer sculptors cut their teeth on, 'studying' previous designs and is why they're often so similar-but-a-bit-different.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 2