The Rumour Thread

32 minutes ago, HollowHills said:

The source is my infinite knowledge and wisdom.

Screenshot_20220724-155223.png

Oh god I hope it's not true. This screams lazy design, just like Nurgle's book, where they picked some trash units and made them great to sell, and other stuff worse.

I really hope we don't see a case of "just shelve all of your Vanari stuff and Teclis, time to buy all of the other side of their range if you want good units."

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, chosen_of_khaine said:

I really hope "aren't very good" just means "not abusable" and not "garbage tier" because the whole aesthetic of lines of pikemen backed up by archers with cavalry in the flanks is one of the major appeals of Lumineth.

Then again, I'm pretty tired of vague discord leaks that are just one dude's opinions with minimal actual information, so I'm putting basically no weight to this.

If I have learned anything about upcoming Warhammer releases, not very good simply means that someone doesn't like a single change to the rules and assumes the unit is unusable as it is now either more balanced or fits a different niché. But I am the odd one out that is just excited for balance changes and learning new styles of play.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Yeah, AoS3 has been a pretty enlightening experience that “oh no it’s trash!” means “oh no I can’t spam and wipe the enemy out with this!”.

Stormcast tome especially where people kept saying anything other than Draconith or Annihilators is a bad build but then a guy goes and gets second place at Adepticon with an army of shooters and chariots lead by three Knight-Heraldors that were deemed too nerfed into the ground to use.

Through meta eyes “make it balance” means make everything broken. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Sometimes I really hate leaks, not rules leaks those I dont care for but mini leaks. If the Legionaires werent leaked we would still be talking about them but because they were theyre 'Old News'.

It doesnt help that the Warband they also showed was Chaos. Yes Warcry started in the Eightpoints and made sense but after 9/10 Warbands were Chaos the switch to Ghur I thought wouldve meant they wanted to show off more Warbands that werent Chaos first for the hype factor.

I also disagree with the idea that STD doesnt have that many kits because of the Warbands, if Death or Destruction or even more acutely Soulblight or Warclans had 9 Warbands released with at least 3 more on the way people would say 'Look at how many kits Warclans has'. Theyre kits useable in both systems, wether the rules are good for them or not doesnt matter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Neverchosen said:

If I have learned anything about upcoming Warhammer releases, not very good simply means that someone doesn't like a single change to the rules and assumes the unit is unusable as it is now either more balanced or fits a different niché. But I am the odd one out that is just excited for balance changes and learning new styles of play.

It had been commented ("leaked") that it might mean a loss in range and no more ignore-LoS rule, with the rest staying more or less similar. Which, to be fair, would make them terrible, unless they scaled down their points quite a lot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Gistradagis said:

It had been commented ("leaked") that it might mean a loss in range and no more ignore-LoS rule, with the rest staying more or less similar. Which, to be fair, would make them terrible, unless they scaled down their points quite a lot.

Even then we need to see how the tome shapes up with the sub-factions, traits and prayers/spells. 

Like right now Stormcast Vanquishers who started off super meh are making a nice dent with the Gallet rules, big units are super Killy with the combined rows striking while you can also have small Bounty Hunter units do work and Call for Aid holy command letting them do nasty damage, get wiped(which means more damage via reforge explosion + sub-faction extra damage stacked) and then revived go back and start chopping again. 

Since it looks like Alarith are getting buffed they might want more melee focused Lumineth so they can’t just sit back and ignore the season rules but get stuck in too and have to craft lists around new strategies. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Baron Klatz said:

Even then we need to see how the tome shapes up with the sub-factions, traits and prayers/spells. 

Like right now Stormcast Vanquishers who started off super meh are making a nice dent with the Gallet rules, big units are super Killy with the combined rows striking while you can also have small Bounty Hunter units do work and Call for Aid holy command letting them do nasty damage, get wiped(which means more damage via reforge explosion + sub-faction extra damage stacked) and then revived go back and start chopping again. 

Since it looks like Alarith are getting buffed they might want more melee focused Lumineth so they can’t just sit back and ignore the season rules but get stuck in too and have to craft lists around new strategies. 

True, but as you say, that was in good part the GHB changing the meta.

To be specific, however, my fears are less power-related and more design-wise. Like, Nurgle is a really strong book, but I'd say it's also very poorly designed. You spam as many flies as possible and that's pretty much it. It's very strong, also very boring and stale. Meanwhile, books like NH, Sylv or Skaven have been pretty amazing in design and viability, I'd say.

My concern, then, is of GW doing more the former than the later, and simply designing the book to shelve the Vanari stuff and really push forcefully what saw little play before. We still have a lot of things to see before making any real judgements, but some of the stuff leaked (if taken at any validity) reminds me more of the first 3.0 books than the ones we're seeing now, which worries me.

• Confused 2

Always a possibility.

Though I will defend the Maggotkin tome on my part at least that the snail farmer + Nurgle trees see quite a bit of play too.

It might just be the Draconith syndrome of people taking the choicest bit and that becomes a meta norm because they don’t want to try other combos that can be just as valid but since the warscrolls aren’t bonkers not as immediately appealing.

Whatever comes we’re sure to be Enlightened soon. ;) 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Warcry pre-order next week, which I don't imagine surprises many. Two-week pre-order period as some intelligent, beautiful, amazing people may have predicted. Does sound like there's only going to be a limited run of it though, but if Kill-Team: Octarius was any indication it won't fly off the shelves.

Pre-ordering from GW nets you a fancy measuring gauge. 

soLGbaSoM0yVLzWE.jpg

Also,

Of course, you’ll also be able to bring your warbands from the first edition of Warcry into the Gnarlwood. More than 800 fighters are getting fully updated rules, including new profiles and warband reactions, all of which you’ll be able to find in the Warcry Compendium, which will be out just a couple of weeks after the new boxed set. This weighty tome covers every warband from Grand Alliance Order, Chaos, Death, and Destruction, alongside their Allies, Monsters and Thralls. It’s the essential companion for any existing Warcry player.

Also soft confirmation of previews at GenCon.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 3

I’m not convinced we are getting non chaos warbands for warcry….. There was maybe 1 or 2. It looks like they save the other armies for underworlds. And while yes there is a map of other factions that might just be a box full of older minis put together to make a warband like they did the first time around. 

11 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

Warcry pre-order next week, which I don't imagine surprises many. Two-week pre-order period as some intelligent, beautiful, amazing people may have predicted. Does sound like there's only going to be a limited run of it though, but if Kill-Team: Octarius was any indication it won't fly off the shelves.

Pre-ordering from GW nets you a fancy measuring gauge. 

soLGbaSoM0yVLzWE.jpg

Also,

Also soft confirmation of previews at GenCon.

COULD WE GET EVERY WARBAND PREVIEWED HERE OR AM I READING THAT WRONG!?

9 minutes ago, Jetlife said:

I’m not convinced we are getting non chaos warbands for warcry….. There was maybe 1 or 2. It looks like they save the other armies for underworlds. And while yes there is a map of other factions that might just be a box full of older minis put together to make a warband like they did the first time around. 

If they only make Chaos Warbands for a setting within Ghur then Ill lose my mind.

1 minute ago, KingBrodd said:

COULD WE GET EVERY WARBAND PREVIEWED HERE OR AM I READING THAT WRONG!?

The Compendium? It'll just be the Warbands which had rules in first edition.

If it's anything like Kill-Team 2021, any future warbands they release will quickly replace Compendium teams though. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I hope the compendium looks like the GHB, where it is easy to have a page up unlike all the tome of Champions which is really bad if you want the battlecards out for a battle. Guess I'll have to photocopy the useful pages otherwise...

Will be interesting to see the price of the box, still on the fence about it but might buy it if the price is right.

17 minutes ago, Boingrot Bouncer said:

I hope the compendium looks like the GHB, where it is easy to have a page up unlike all the tome of Champions which is really bad if you want the battlecards out for a battle. Guess I'll have to photocopy the useful pages otherwise...

Will be interesting to see the price of the box, still on the fence about it but might buy it if the price is right.

They did a big compedium at the Start of Kill Team 2nd edition too, which IIRC was about as no-frills as you can get. Just a big old book of updated warscrolls is all I'm expecting.

Updated list of LRL changes that we know of:

• New book with old bladelords artwork for cover
  • Scinari Enlightener (160 points) is a wizard with a 2 cast. Can resolve a Hysh spell twice on a 3+ after casting
  • Sentinels 24" reach, need LOS, and lambent change
  • Wind Spirits can't move in opponents phase
  • Stonemage can let the Stoneguard do MWs on 5s and 6s
  • Shining company most likely lets the unit run and charge now (based off the the article's picture and discord leak comment)

Sub-factions abilities:

• Counts as 2 on objectives
  • extra shooting within 6"
  • ignore 2 rend
  • Like 2

Getting a bit bored of Warcry warbands of a dozen Chaos human infantry (Possibly with a couple of token other races) with some gimmick. Give us some cavalry/centaurs or Ogres, or winged mutants, hell, reimagine the old birdman mercs they would be sick as modern models! 

Dont get me wrong, i like all the Warcry bands individually but as a range they have long since begun blending together.

Oh and most of all give us some Skaven, the utter lack of new models really killed my enthusiasm for the new book there.

• Like 6
  • LOVE IT! 1

22 minutes ago, Noserenda said:

Getting a bit bored of Warcry warbands of a dozen Chaos human infantry (Possibly with a couple of token other races) with some gimmick. Give us some cavalry/centaurs or Ogres, or winged mutants, hell, reimagine the old birdman mercs they would be sick as modern models! 

Dont get me wrong, i like all the Warcry bands individually but as a range they have long since begun blending together.

Oh and most of all give us some Skaven, the utter lack of new models really killed my enthusiasm for the new book there.

I agree. If they wanted to do more Chaos Warbands, in the Realm of Beasts no less they really shouldve gone with Skaven and Beasts of Chaos!! Especially BOC for the setting in the Gnarlwood augh!! Feels like a wasted opportunity!!

• Like 3

Both of the new warbands are listed in the Slaves to Darkness contents leak, right? (Except Rotmire who're presumably getting a Maggotkin PDF). That leaves us with 5 warbands. Let's assume one of those is Tzeentch based on the terrain Rumour Engine and the map. That's down to 4. This presumably means that even if Hedonites and Blades get a God-aligned warband each, 2 of them won't be 'Chaos Humans'.

I think at least one of them will be Freeguild/Dawnbringers, because the timing would align as a sort of 'preview release' ahead of their Battletome arriving next year.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Clan's Cynic said:

Both of the new warbands are listed in the Slaves to Darkness contents leak, right? (Except Rotmire who're presumably getting a Maggotkin PDF). That leaves us with 5 warbands. Let's assume one of those is Tzeentch based on the terrain Rumour Engine and the map. That's down to 4. This presumably means that even if Hedonites and Blades get a God-aligned warband each, 2 of them won't be 'Chaos Humans'.

I think at least one of them will be Freeguild/Dawnbringers, because the timing would align as a sort of 'preview release' ahead of their Battletome arriving next year.

There are at least 6 more warbands coming in year one. The existence of the Legionnaires outside a dual box allows for the possibility of more. 

The next box is due in October, which is not too far away from the release of the Tzeentch book and before the Slaves book. So either the next box is Khorne Vs Slaanesh or we are getting some non chaos warbands. 

Again the fact that they are releasing the Legionnaires so soon and not in a dual box suggests to me that gw are clearing the way for a couple of non chaos warbands, though trying to apply logic to gw's release strategy is a bit of a futile task. 

2 hours ago, Clan's Cynic said:

True. I hate to use the term 'unfair' but having the setting in Ghur and not using Destruction would feel that way. 

• Like 1