The Rumour Thread

Ok, I have to say that I really hope that the giant mushrooms that GW has in the various pictures are a new terrain kit they are making or else they release an article that explains how they made them.  I have found various types of large mushroom terrain over the years in order to build a fungus cavern/forest board and these are a type that look really great and are pretty hard to find.  They do not appear to be hand-made, and you can see that they kitbashed some of the caps with the 40K deathworld jungle terrain in some spots - so that implies they are also relatively light weight.

I like most of the terrain that GW makes, but I would like some more fantastical natural features terrain than simply hills and woods.  I would shell out a fair bit of cash for these...

Edited by Skabnoze
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

Ok, I have to say that I really hope that the giant mushrooms that GW has in the various pictures are a new terrain kit they are making or else they release an article that explains how they made them.  I have found various types of large mushroom terrain over the years in order to build a fungus cavern/forest board and these are a type that look really great and are pretty hard to find.  They do not appear to be hand-made, and you can see that they kitbashed some of the caps with the 40K deathworld jungle terrain in some spots - so that implies they are also relatively light weight.

I like most of the terrain that GW makes, but I would like some more fantastical natural features terrain than simply hills and woods.  I would shell out a fair bit of cash for these...

A mushroom forest and cave piece would be great to add to the terrain, AoS terrain has been lacking, the LotRs terrain is more interesting than the AoS stuff so far.
Though chances are they are probably just mushrooms someone has made or brought from a garden store/craft store to mix with the studios terrain.

1 minute ago, RexHavoc said:

A mushroom forest and cave piece would be great to add to the terrain, AoS terrain has been lacking, the LotRs terrain is more interesting than the AoS stuff so far.
Though chances are they are probably just mushrooms someone has made or brought from a garden store/craft store to mix with the studios terrain.

Yeah, there are a lot of options out there if you are willing to look.  Scotia-Grendel and  dwarven forge both make some fantasy mushroom terrain.  You can also find a few made by various 3d printing companies if you poke around Etsy or eBay.  

And another good option is to go for garden decorations or ceramic fairy figurines from craft stores.  In the last case you just have to not mind getting weird looks when you bring a ton of collectible fairy/gnome mini decorations to the register.

Here are some good ones I found a while back at a craft store.  I would like to pick up a few more but they don’t seem to make them anymore:

12DA53ED-0CBC-46EA-817F-4657E18A69C8.jpeg

19 minutes ago, JPjr said:

Just pop down your local head shop, I'm sure amongst all the bongs, dreamcatchers and incense you'll find a vast range of little mushroom and toadstool statues to re-purpose.

Sadly Idaho is not a place that is friendly towards those stores.  You have to go across state lines for that.

And yes, I am aware of collectible statues and willing to repurpose almost anything.  But as I said in the first post, the look of the ones that GW has in those photos is something I have found it very tough to find.  I like variety and I would happily buy a bunch of those in addition to the stuff that I already have.

4 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

Sadly Idaho is not a place that is friendly towards those stores.  You have to go across state lines for that.

And yes, I am aware of collectible statues and willing to repurpose almost anything.  But as I said in the first post, the look of the ones that GW has in those photos is something I have found it very tough to find.  I like variety and I would happily buy a bunch of those in addition to the stuff that I already have.

The UK they sell those exact mushrooms in some furnitive stores and what they are is a type of fungus that grows extremely hard and solidifies like wood. I have a couple in my house that have been stained and varnished by my girlfriend. They are already attached to stumps and hallow logs. I dont know the name of the fungus off memory.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

The UK they sell those exact mushrooms in some furnitive stores and what they are is a type of fungus that grows extremely hard and solidifies like wood. I have a couple in my house that have been stained and varnished by my girlfriend. They are already attached to stumps and hallow logs. I dont know the name of the fungus off memory.

Hmmm, it appears I may need to broaden my internet mushroom searches.  Thanks!

1 hour ago, Caladancid said:

I’m hoping the one that is part of this release (if there is one) has a little less embellishment than the one for Underworlds. 

Agreed. And a less "duh hurr ho herm I'm a dumb goof head" floppy face.

Cool model other than those aspects.

Edited by Sleboda
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, JPjr said:

Just pop down your local head shop, I'm sure amongst all the bongs, dreamcatchers and incense you'll find a vast range of little mushroom and toadstool statues to re-purpose.

Or a pet supply store or craft store. I was at Michael's yesterday, and the amount of mushroom stuff they had was reedonkulous.

17 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

Hmmm, it appears I may need to broaden my internet mushroom searches.  Thanks!

Here they are Skab! No idea what they are called though! They are identical to the GW ones in the video except there stalks are smoother. Likening said before it's just a type of mushroom that grows quite hard!

IMAG3145.jpg

IMAG3146.jpg

IMAG3147.jpg