The Rumour Thread

4 minutes ago, Deepkin said:

How very mature.

Okay, okay I'm not trying to be mean about how you guys feel right now. Something has touched a nerve and you've every right to express it.

BUT

I mean, "angry that kids get something" is a classic way to seem a bit spoiled. Thinking that kids deserve more respect is different (and  you do express this if I trim away your angry wordy words:

20 minutes ago, Deepkin said:

I liked them BECAUSE they were so obviously not the saccharine kiddy stuff I already owned. It was dark and weird and cool. 

I get that. I liked the universe when young too because it was a bit different. I was also a bit weird mind you. Aiming at my age group, then, more broadly would have (potentially) attracted a greater audience.

Some kids might like what we didn't and kids like us might have more hobby buddies to play with.

Edited by Turragor
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Turragor said:

Okay, okay I'm not trying to be mean about how you guys feel right now. Something has touched a nerve and you've every right to express it.

BUT

I mean, "angry that kids get something" is a classic way to seem a bit spoiled. Thinking that kids deserve more respect is different (and  you do express this if I trim away your angry wordy words:

I get that.

However, horses for courses - some kids might like what you didn't and kids like you might have more hobby buddies to play with

If someone don't like something they should simply look for something else. 

If I don't like motorcycle but I like car I will buy a car I will not pretend for motorcycle to have 4 wheel. 

47 minutes ago, sandlemad said:

That said it does mention one character growing up in a slave camp. It's probably too much to expect the authors to address this with the gravitas of even a historical YA novel but maybe there's something there.

If the Star Wars franchise has shown us anything it's that kids are more than willing to play along with a major character being raised in a slave camp. I'm sure there will be some sort of arranged escape as part of the storyline, too. It may be cliche, but it sells.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Arael said:

If someone don't like something they should simply look for something else. 

If I don't like motorcycle but I like car I will buy a car I will not pretend for motorcycle to have 4 wheel. 

But if you want to race cars and not motorcycles you want more ppl with cars to race against?

And remember, it's toy cars and motorcycles. Before everyone buys into big cars anyway. IF they still want to race.

Edited by Turragor

3 minutes ago, Turragor said:

Awww!

Have a lollipop and don't be frightened of the different books for other kiddies little ones!

:D

No offense, but if recent events in the media have taught me anything, it's that this is the absolute worst way to respond to an angry fanbase. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, erasercrumbs said:

No offense, but if recent events in the media have taught me anything, it's that this is the absolute worst way to respond to an angry fanbase. 

Oh gw absolutely shouldn't make light of any upset fans. Something about this touches a nerve with some.

I can write what I like though. Well I mean. Within some kind of reason. 

I think GW trying to broaden their audience and expand their reach is a good thing.  It means expansion of the player-base, which means more people to play against.  Sure, in this case they may be young kids and we may not always want to play games against young kids.  But kids get older and if this means that further down the road there is a larger group of players for me to play against then I am all for it.  And a bigger pool of young players means they have more options to play games against people their own age - and as a parent I approve of this as well.

As an example, the other day I played in an event at my local GW store that had us bring a single monster and play in a silly free-for-all monster battle.  It was horribly unbalanced (hello Archaon) but still fun.  I chose to bring a Giant (never get used to calling them Aleguzzler Gargants).  I brought the old metal Marauder Giant model.  I painted that thing in 1997.  My model was painted when some of the other players in the event were infants (one player was barely one year older).  The point is that if you play long enough those kids may grow up into regular opponents.

Edited by Skabnoze
  • Like 3

Just now, KillagoreFaceslasha said:

You to begin with.

Lol. You're right. Saying that my younger self would have thought these novels were garbage is "screaming bloody murder." How thunderously inappropriate of me. 9_9

For the record, and this addressed to Turragor as well, I'm not angry in the slightest. Nor do I think children don't "deserve" to be in our hobby. I played my first game of Warhammer (well, there models and dice involved. I make no claims as to our ability to intepret the rules!) when I was 8. I played in my first tournamemt when I was 14 or so. At all stages, my fellow hobbyists were quite nice and supportive of me. 

What drew me to the world, and the game, was that it didnt dumb itself down for me. If any of you are familiar with children (and from some of the above responses, I rather suspect some of you are children), you know that many of them very much desire to engage with, and be treated as, adults. Obviously, in most cases they cannot be. But Warhammer, in both the game and the lore, was one arena where I (as a child) felt accepted by the adults. And that was a very big draw for me.

Why I think these novels might be a mistake is that they very obviously pander to the children at whom they are marketed. They do not possess the qualities I enumerate above. And so I think children like myself (and I was by no means an exceptional child) will find these books a detriment to joining the hobby, rather than an incentive.

So spare me the genius statements like those I've quoted above. 

• Like 3

I agree that these novels are a wonderful way to reach out to younger kids. I showed the pictures to my younger son and man the excitement in his eyes as he said cool was good for my old wargamer heart.  If we want the hobby to be around for us in the future these initiatives are essential in a gaming and scifi market that is increasingly competitive.  

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Deepkin said:

rather suspect some of you are children

I'm 35 but you aren't wrong! 

I dont think you guys are angry, just that you have strong feelings. But it's OK to be angry. It does not invalidate opinion. 

Edited by Turragor
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, TheWilddog said:

I showed the pictures to my younger son and man the excitement in his eyes as he said cool was good for my old wargamer heart. 

Yeah I might try them with my 3 yr old if they are safe enough. I love how excited and grateful kids can be :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Deepkin said:

Lol. You're right. Saying that my younger self would have thought these novels were garbage is "screaming bloody murder." How thunderously inappropriate of me. 9_9

For the record, and this addressed to Turragor as well, I'm not angry in the slightest. Nor do I think children don't "deserve" to be in our hobby. I played my first game of Warhammer (well, there models and dice involved. I make no claims as to our ability to intepret the rules!) when I was 8. I played in my first tournamemt when I was 14 or so. At all stages, my fellow hobbyists were quite nice and supportive of me. 

What drew me to the world, and the game, was that it didnt dumb itself down for me. If any of you are familiar with children (and from some of the above responses, I rather suspect some of you are children), you know that many of them very much desire to engage with, and be treated as, adults. Obviously, in most cases they cannot be. But Warhammer, in both the game and the lore, was one arena where I (as a child) felt accepted by the adults. And that was a very big draw for me.

Why I think these novels might be a mistake is that they very obviously pander to the children at whom they are marketed. They do not possess the qualities I enumerate above. And so I think children like myself (and I was by no means an exceptional child) will find these books a detriment to joining the hobby, rather than an incentive.

So spare me the genius statements like those I've quoted above. 

I think some kids will like it and some will not.

Some tread the old fashioned paths that we journeyd and just like the models and the darkness of the lore. I don’t see how these books would negatively impact on that. 

But as with all audiences young or old, you can’t please everyone all the time. In fact some are never happy, and then there’s some who enjoy complaining. 

But alas, we all have opinions and are rightly entitled to them. 

• Like 4

This latest development did have me facepalming and checking my calendar to see if it was April 1st.

Now, I haven't read any of the books yet (I don't know if there are excerpts available), but the packaging and illustrations certainly give off a 'my little stormcast' vibe. Fair enough, this may draw a crowd, but is it cool enough to keep them? If this is someones first glimpse into the Warhammer universe, I wonder how it will affect the way they think about it in the future. Will this be a toned down yet honest representation? Or will this be a complete rework of the universe that does not remain true to the core aesthetic and philosophy of Warhammer?

It's a fair comment that someone made about these two (seemingly inconsistent) lines (kid friendly and adult) can co-exist in harmony as distinct products for separate demographics... but is it the kind of introduction to the universe that will create a long-lasting impression and new generations of, not just players, but genuine enthusiasts?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Turragor said:

Oh gw absolutely shouldn't make light of any upset fans. Something about this touches a nerve with some.

I can write what I like though. Well I mean. Within some kind of reason. 

Of course, but I sincerely hope that no face of the company reacts in such a way.  That's when we start losing current fans to make room for future fans who may or may not ever exist.  The best thing for GW to do in response to recent criticisms is to just take their lumps (of COURSE people are going to make fun of Friendhammer taking place in the grimdarkiest reaches of fiction, they were probably braced for a negative reaction), release their YA books, and let them succeed or fail on their own merits.  

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, erasercrumbs said:

The AOS series seems like a better fit. It is a heroic setting where The Power of Friendship is a pretty constant theme among some of the Order races.  Even in Plague Garden, despite the name, the villains were sort of an afterthought to showing how strongly Stormcast felt companionship towards each other. 

The 40K equivalent is pretty obnoxious though, complete with one of the characters being a traitor and another being a pacifist (the Ultramarine on the cover would be just as deadly to them as the Necron if they were indeed such heretics!).  I first got into Warhammer when I was 12, and if my first exposure would've been the 40K YA book, I would've thought it looked uncool.  

I do think both books miss the point of both Warhammer franchises, though.  If you drastically reduce the crazy grimness of the setting, what's special about it to begin with?  Might as well play a different game.

It will be a great plot-twist if the Necron actually saves them from the Space Marine.

Given that Necrons 2.0 seem to have personalities and are freed from the limitations of their command protocols, there may be some dynasties ready to cling on to reminders of their organic past.

Edited by ZaelART
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Turragor said:

BUT

I get that. I liked the universe when young too because it was a bit different. I was also a bit weird mind you. Aiming at my age group, then, more broadly would have (potentially) attracted a greater audience.

Some kids might like what we didn't and kids like us might have more hobby buddies to play with.

People can have opinions about things that are different than yours. Just because an opinion is expressed in contrast to yours doesn't mean everyone is 'rage mode' about it. Way to group everyone together with dangerous assumptions. Lets cool it and get back to the rumors, which is about: reaction to the rumors at hand and not reaction to people having reactions about the rumors.

I am eager to see what lists/ rules have been updated in the new GHB. Hoping the factions without their own book get a little bit of love to hold them over and keep them relevant.

Edited by Mandzak-Miniatures
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, ZaelART said:

It will be a great plot-twist if the Necron actually saves them from the Space Marine.

Given that Necrons 2.0 seem to have personalities and are freed from the limitations of their command protocols, there may be some dynasties ready to cling on to reminders of their organic past.

Hope my eyes will be carved out by some over zealous Magos Biologis before reading something like that. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Mandzak-Miniatures said:

Good news is that if this children stuff doesn't sell well, they wont bother with it and it will fade into existence. Children stories have no place in AoS just as much as 40k.  Do your part.

Sorry! I think my 8-year-old--who plays Silver Tower with me--would love this sort of thing. ?

• Like 3