The Rumour Thread

12 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Personally, I would be surprised if any currently existing army was moved to Legends in its entirety. I can't honestly even think of any candidates for that. I don't really think there is any faction GW would prefer to just completely get rid of.

But I do think that souping books together is really likely. Or rather, back together. I think we are going to be trending back towards faction lines more or less as they were in Warhammer Fantasy this edition. Which might be for the best, anyway, now that Grand Alliance armies are no longer really a thing.

In addition to soup I can see some armies be straight up absorbed by others, e.g. BoC becoming a part of Slaves to Darkness which becomes an umbrella faction for all non-diety specific chaos factions. Not ideal for purist BoC players but looks like no one at GW wants anything to do with them, as in maybe the project is seen as too great of a risk so they keep pushing it forwards.

Edited by pnkdth

I would say new marine tome but i guess all and every flavour habe been released allready even if half of xenos havent yet lol.

For sure i guess eldars tome with entire new rangue of units and preview of the next 40k tome with of course the new pose of other marin captain or leutenant.

For aos i guess new idoneth tome for sure,probable fyreslayer tome too and with luck reveal of the nighaunt hero

25 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Personally, I would be surprised if any currently existing army was moved to Legends in its entirety. I can't honestly even think of any candidates for that. I don't really think there is any faction GW would prefer to just completely get rid of.

But I do think that souping books together is really likely. Or rather, back together. I think we are going to be trending back towards faction lines more or less as they were in Warhammer Fantasy this edition. Which might be for the best, anyway, now that Grand Alliance armies are no longer really a thing.

I mean I feel like drifting back into all the same alliances and allegiances we had in WHFB would be the least interesting, least satisfying outcome and I really hope that's not the path they go down. To me, it would feel like such a waste of the potential that AoS represents.

I know I'm probably in the significant minority that really is not nostalgic at all for WHFB and really wishes GW would reduce their reliance on the nostlagia to sell new product. In the end though GW will do whatever they do, will just have to see how that shakes out and how I feel about it as it happens.

As for LVO preview; I hopew we get an indication that AoS is going to kick into gear again, a preview for at least IDK/Fyreslayers and hopefully at least one more than that.

• Like 7
  • Confused 2

yes this is getting absurded allready, week after week with only news on every ***** 40k system and even games or books, and 0 for all aos, and on lvo preview they hint 4 40k blocks and only 1 for aos????

by this time 40k allready had 10+ tomes im sure, and yes, every teletuby marine on different colour counts like a different one, and on most of them or even all. they had new hero or even unit. when aos have to wait 4+ years usually only to get a foot hero if lucky....

in theory they said aos was selling really well, people were hyped. even dominion was the best fantasy box in sales in history. so why they are clearly ignoring aos? dont make sense. i lately see more news on second rate games like necromunda,bloodbowl and kill team than on a main game like aos. and after oldtimes thing... i dont like it

• Confused 1

32 minutes ago, Doko said:

I would say new marine tome but i guess all and every flavour habe been released allready even if half of xenos havent yet lol.

Oh no worries on that point. I'm pretty sure rumors already abound that Space Marines will be getting a new codex soon, that's how they roll.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kitsumy said:

in theory they said aos was selling really well, people were hyped. even dominion was the best fantasy box in sales in history. so why they are clearly ignoring aos? dont make sense. i lately see more news on second rate games like necromunda,bloodbowl and kill team than on a main game like aos. and after oldtimes thing... i dont like it

lol are you paraphrasing or did they actually claim this? Everything I've seen in my region suggests Dominion is a shelf-warmer. It took ages for it to even disappear off the GW store.

I think AoS players are kinda living in dreamland if they expect the game to ever get the 40k treatment- I strongly suspect even the amount of attention it gets now is disproportionate to the amount of money it makes. Space marines alone probably make more than the entire AoS range.

• Confused 1

27 minutes ago, mojojojo101 said:

I mean I feel like drifting back into all the same alliances and allegiances we had in WHFB would be the least interesting, least satisfying outcome and I really hope that's not the path they go down. To me, it would feel like such a waste of the potential that AoS represents.

I'll keep this short because rumor thread: As long as they keep the Dwarf/Elf (and other) old world grudges buried, and keep the better faction/racial relations, I think GW going back to Duardin Book, Aelf Book, Chaos Book, etc would be fine. 

It does make sense to soup races back into something like Warclans; as long as cross-synergy is kept then souped books will be received positively.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

Just now, NauticalSoup said:

lol are you paraphrasing or did they actually claim this? Everything I've seen in my region suggests Dominion is a shelf-warmer. It took ages for it to even disappear off the GW store.

Something can both sell EXTREMELY well and also be so stupidly overproduced that it still sits on shelves and webstores for months. It definitely happened with Dominion, and I'm still slightly salty I got it for the full 200$

• Like 6

Just now, CommissarRotke said:

Something can both sell EXTREMELY well and also be so stupidly overproduced that it still sits on shelves and webstores for months. It definitely happened with Dominion, and I'm still slightly salty I got it for the full 200$

Well, given production is theoretically matched to demand, that depends on how you define 'extremely well'. If you overproduced so much you can't move it all then it didn't actually meet its sales targets. That could easily be described as 'selling poorly' since they obviously expected it to be a lot more popular than it was. 

It's like the classic movie that sells a ton of tickets but still resulted in a loss because it cost too much to make. Did it sell well, if it lost you money? Does the answer to that question actually tell you anything meaningful if it can sell 'extremely well' while still being a failure? Overproduced or undersold, it doesn't foreshadow AoS sharing a podium with 40k.

8 hours ago, EntMan said:

So, based on this, you're guessing that Dawnbringer Crusades have fizzled out for now?

I do not think that they have fizzled out, I think that Dawnbringers/Cities will get a really big release with some real narrative weight behind it. Honestly I think that due to outside pressures and delays we would be much further along in terms of releases and probably close to halfway through my list by now. 

12 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

Haha I got mine for full price at my friendly local, so that smooths over the salt (I like those guys and don't begrudge them the money).

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

We are used to perpetual release scarcity and as such if I have seen it personally it must be a failure...

But  you are correct that something can sell well and be overproduced:
X-Men1-cover.jpg

• Haha 4

56 minutes ago, NauticalSoup said:

Well, given production is theoretically matched to demand, that depends on how you define 'extremely well'. If you overproduced so much you can't move it all then it didn't actually meet its sales targets. That could easily be described as 'selling poorly' since they obviously expected it to be a lot more popular than it was. 

Also very true--and from how LGS are talking, GW reps pushing too many copies is part of why they still have boxes sitting. Taking Dominion as an overall endeavor vs solely comparing how many units sold will redefine "extremely well" and I only meant the number of units they sold. I would think it made them enough money back since their quarterly reports talked about it positively.

53 minutes ago, amysrevenge said:

Haha I got mine for full price at my friendly local, so that smooths over the salt (I like those guys and don't begrudge them the money).

I bought LGS as well, hence "slightly" x) 

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

I'm still slightly salty I got it for the full 200$

I got one from FLGS for 25% discount and was happy to pay that at the time, then Wayland Games were clearing stock a few months back at 50% off so I grabbed another! Overall discount on 2 was 37.5%, happy with that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kitsumy said:

by this time 40k allready had 10+ tomes im sure, and yes, every teletuby marine on different colour counts like a different one, and on most of them or even all. they had new hero or even unit. when aos have to wait 4+ years usually only to get a foot hero if lucky....

Honestly we're kind of in a similar place to where 40k was at this point after 9th ed launched. By the end of January they'd had Codex Space Marines, Necrons and Death Guard, along with Codex Supplements for Space Wolves, Deathwatch and Blood Angels with the Codex Supplement for Dark Angels releasing about now. So whilst it feels like they had a lot for 40k most of it was just Space Marine bloat (with Death Guard getting 1 new character, a combat patrol and a terrain kit). The Blood Angels and Space Wolves got some rebundled Intercessors and Reivers but no new characters and each of the Codex supplements got Combat Patrols.

So honestly it feels like we're in a reasonable spot compared to 40k last year and just in need of some news.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, NauticalSoup said:

I think AoS players are kinda living in dreamland if they expect the game to ever get the 40k treatment- I strongly suspect even the amount of attention it gets now is disproportionate to the amount of money it makes. Space marines alone probably make more than the entire AoS range.

No, they said this in an official financial report. So it must have sold well, just been over-produced. 

• Thanks 5

1 hour ago, NauticalSoup said:

https://investor.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/002-v-1-2021-22-half-year-report-Final-IR.pdf

image.png.45e9493ca7580c95b2eab29d76f53e2f.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, RamsesIII said:

Ah. I misread his original post that he said *fantasy*. I thought the claim was Dominion outsold Indomitus.

Kind of a nothing-burger, there are probably only a very few outliers that break the rule of each starter selling better than the previous one just because the business has grown almost continually for so long.

Edit: If they aren't padding by saying it outsold the last one by a considerable margin and they still overproduced it to such a degree retailers were selling it half off and you can still find it everywhere... just how many did they think they were going to sell??

Edited by NauticalSoup
  • Confused 1

Did we get a date for the re-release of Cursed City?  It might make sense for them to throw in the first expansion release at the same time to grab the audience who already owns a copy along with tempting new buyers to double-dip.  That might be the sort of thing they could throw into a preview, though I don't know if they'd put the logo in the promos to keep the surprise, maybe.

• Like 1

I don't think I've ever understood GW's marketing practices. From a business point of view, I feel like they're still stuck in the mindset of 1980. But hell, what do I know? THey're making millions of dollars, so must be doing something right. 

Ive taken this gap of AoS releases as a pleasant breather, allowing me some time to actually paint and assemble models, instead of collect more plastic to add to the pile. Hell, I actually had time and finished 3000 points of Soulblights, and not to tabletop level, but to display standards, which made me really really happy. At this rate, if AOs Remains slow, I may actually get to start and make some progress in my corrupted stormcast conversion army i've been steadily acquiring fodder for.  Its going to make such a nice slaves to darkness force when I'm done. All Tzeench flavored with griff hounds, griffons, hippogryffs, converted to chaotic tzeenchy monstrous bird creatures. Yeah a SoD tzeench force will probably suck on the tabletop, but it will look amazing 😁

• Like 6