The Rumour Thread

9 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I decided to make another "How likely are they to get a battletome soon?" tier list after the Nurgle reveal:

index.png.f7f7655e103a88aefa73b9e4c2e85dcf.png

Here's my reasoning:

Most likely

These armies have substantial rumours attached to them and other evidence counting in their favour.

Nighthaunt: Lots of rumour engines recently. Old book. Feels like they were kinda snubbed during the FAQ period, which sometimes means a tome is on the way. If we are pattern seeking: So far we have gone Order-Destruction-Chaos in 3rd edition. Death could make sense, and they did one tome of ever GA at the start of 2nd.

Idoneth: Literally just that one rumour with lava flowing into the sea. Although IDK are an old book and have received a bunch of rules updates that would be nice to consolidate into a single book. They could do with a model line expansion as well. In 2nd edition, the 4th battletome was Gloomspite, which came with a substantial model release, so it's possible timing-wise.

Narratively foreshadowed:

The armies in this category don't have any substantial rumours indicating that we should expect them soon, but they are set up in the narrative to be revamped at some point. Dwarves are rumoured to come in summer. Dawnbringer Crusades might be soon, might be never. Their release might coincide with the human underworlds warband, which comes out Q2 '22 at the earliest.

Otherwise likely:

These armies are neither set up in the narrative nor is there a lot of evidence that would indicate a battletome release, but their age and jankyness make them good candidates.

Beasts of Chaos: Missed out on a battletome this time around, which I think means they are further down the line. Still a prime candidate for a larger release, though.

Khorne: Janky old rules that don't play like you would expect Khorne to play. A prime candidate for a more simple, cleaned up 3rd edition tome. Apparently, and underworlds warband is in the works, but some time off.

Gloomspite Gitz: We are in the Destruction edition, right? Gitz are probably the Destruction tome most in need of an update, but they are unlikely to get the next battletome. Check again in half a year or so and they might be contenders.

Not surprising:

The armies in this tier kind of need a new tome and if they jumped the queue it would not be a surprise, but it's unlikely they will get a new tome soon. Ogors kinda want more and new models, but they play OK and their sculpts are still fine. Skaven have a huge range that needs a large overhaul at some point, but they are playable and have the potential for diverse lists even at this point in time. OBR have a small range and janky rules in the context of 3rd edition. FEC are FEC, they only have, like, three kits but somehow they make it work.

No indication:

These armies might get a new tome, but nothing suggests they will. I think they are both less likely to get one than anything in the tier above.

Sylvaneth: Just got a model in BR Kragnos and got their rules tinkered with a lot in the FAQ, which I think means they are supposed to hold out with what they got for a while. Even though they are this low, they are the most likely Order army to get an update outside of Dorfs, Dawnbringers and IDK, though. They could squeak in before any one of these factions, though probably not before all of them at once.

Tzeentch: Their tome is still pretty recent and competitive, but they have the potential for a mortals-focussed expansion. That might not even happen this edition, though.

Will not get a tome:

These factions either have tomes that are fairly fresh, or have recently received tome celestial updates in White Dwarf. Out of all of them, it would probably be the least surprising if Soulblight jumped the queue and got a second wave of models.

Sir not appearing in this film:

There are rumours of Malerion joining the fray in summer.

A new Destruction faction is probably fairly likely at some point during this edition.

They mentioned doombreed in the recent lore (yndastra), so even khorne is a little foreshadowed

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Yondaime said:

i really hoped for the khorne tome

khorne rule are so outdated its like you are playing two different games

Big muscular guys with unholy rage and weapons bigger than a truck have 0 rend lol

Really happy for the nurgle bros but i will be stuck for the next 3+ month at best with an old and outdated army xD

Personally, if gw would just increase the size for plague monks and stormvermins to twenty increase their points to 150(plague monks) 200(stormvermins) and reduce the pointscost for clanrats to 110points, I think skaven could be at least from a competitive perspective, fun to play and they would finally be that horde army they always should have been.

As for a new book, I’ll happily take one, if the range of the skaven gets updated as well.

I personally have no interest in a skaven battletome update with basically no new models.

My opinion I do think the armies that got a random hero model in BR Kragnos and Belekor have a high chance of getting more models down the line ( maybe with the exception of Slaanesh and the twins being held back from the last tome for narrative reason). Nighthaunt, Seraphon, and Sylvaneath. At least in Seraphon case, it is a bit a waste to finally give them Kroak and it not leading them to finally some new sculpts in the end. nighthaunt they have mention a few time during soul war that they wanted to design more of them.

UPD. nevermind someone posted this already.

>The red harvest is about spider ****ots versus ordinary darkoath tribes
>After that there will be warcry 2.0
>Nighthaunt will not be that soon and they will be pitted against Lumineth.
>Expect major release for sylvaneth but no kurnothi. Lady of vines will have a model.

Edited by dnusha

45 minutes ago, Yondaime said:

Khorne have none of these things, its slow, made of wet paper, hit/wound really bad and have low rend, even bts that are the manifestation of close combat and martial prowness hit on 4 lol

Everyone in my gaming group who have played Khorne (4 people) have quit because of their battletome and how bad it feels.

I understand why people like it, but personally I think it's my least favourite tome. 

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Enoby said:

Everyone in my gaming group who have played Khorne (4 people) have quit because of their battletome and how bad it feels.

I understand why people like it, but personally I think it's my least favourite tome. 

Well with OW and redeploy being a thing its even harder to play,

Had a game where i moved a Bt close to a unit that redeployed and made a 6, making it a 9" charge that i failed rerolling, next turn my bt got shoot down

Or when a bt was killed just by OW

Its so unfun e frustating to play, its like all the rules are agains us xD

Edited by Yondaime

3 hours ago, silverstu said:

Cheers! Interesting! For those who don't want to go there the quote is [edited for language]

No Kurnothi would be a shame but at the same time I think they could do a lot more with Sylvaneth. 

Still hoping for something dwarf-y in 2022, squats or new Grungni Dwarfs. 

I wonder if they intend to add more war bands to War Cry and are they going to stick to just chaos- it has more of a Necromunda type feel of gangs rather than Killteam at the moment. 

I'd love to see a Sylvaneth range update!!

5 minutes ago, The Red King said:

Probably not tyranid right? The flesh in the joints is usually ribbed and the chitin is normally ridged isn't it?

1 minute ago, novakai said:

Looks like the wardroth beetle

If Sylvaneth start getting bugs on bugs I may have to start my first Order Faction of Klendathu inspired Bugs!!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, KingBrodd said:

At least we can ponder now what the next Battletome is likely to be. I'm assuming either Order or Death. If Death itll most likely be Nighthaunt.

Rumors I saw were Gitz, Ogors, BoC, no clue if there's any truth in them but Gitz and BoC make a lot of sense.

Doesn't look too much like a spider leg but I'm gonna hope anyways.

29 minutes ago, KingBrodd said:

Newest Rumour Engine could be Tyranids? Or possibly new Sylvaneth bugs!?

wURYiE0tZx3akvOD.jpg

Edited by Ganigumo

2 hours ago, Yondaime said:

Who? skullreapers? the unit that cost 5 models 205 pt and have no rend so if you are not lucky and dont roll 6s most likely youll do close to 0 damage? in this meta they will be dead even before reaching the enemy

It was more of a thing about how rend has been nerfed quite badly in 3.0 while mortal wounds are strewn about carelessly in the last few battletomes.

Edited by zilberfrid

There was the /tg/ rumour posted previously that was correct about Red Harvest being Spider-Cultists vs Darkoath. wherein they also mentioned Sylvaneth were getting new stuff, so it could be that?

Of course, the Red Harvest guess may have been a lucky one on their part, but who knows with how much GW's taps drip these days.

50 minutes ago, KingBrodd said:

Newest Rumour Engine could be Tyranids? Or possibly new Sylvaneth bugs!?

wURYiE0tZx3akvOD.jpg

100% a tyranid to me.

The Reddit rumours sound like guesses

1 hour ago, dnusha said:

The red harvest is about spider ****ots versus ordinary darkoath tribes
>After that there will be warcry 2.0
>Nighthaunt will not be that soon and they will be pitted against Lumineth.
>Expect major release for sylvaneth but no kurnothi. Lady of vines will have a model.

Can't see Warcry 2.0 coming out any time soon if Red Harvest has the current rules in

13 minutes ago, Carnelian said:

100% a tyranid to me.

The Reddit rumours sound like guesses

Can't see Warcry 2.0 coming out any time soon if Red Harvest has the current rules in

Keep in mind they did the same thing with Kill Team: Pariah Nexus box with the Intercessor versus Flayed one and then kill team had a new edition right afterwards

of course I think it was still a good 6-8 Month between the releases