The Rumour Thread

1 hour ago, shinros said:

Yeah so they just finished the interview with Nick Horth on warhammer tv who is writing this book. He goes into some of the finer details of the book. Also Darth Alec was in the stream so he/she might correct me if I get any details mixed up.

THE STORY 
Excelsis is the city of secrets, a grand and imposing bastion of civilisation in the savage Realm of Beasts. Within its winding streets and shadowy back alleys, merchants deal in raw prophecy mined from an ancient fragment of the World That Was, and even the poorest man may earn a glimpse of the future. Yet not all such prophecies can be trusted. When Corporal Armand Callis of the city guard stumbles upon a dark secret, he finds himself on the run from his former comrades, framed for a crime he did not commit. Only the Witch Hunter Hanniver Toll knows the truth of his innocence. Together the pair must race against time to save Excelsis from a cataclysm that would drown the city in madness and fear. 

2526d7c3160cde7462a6fd6bd4def57c_5394.jp

Yeah so he explains further that a free guild captain see's something he should not have seen and only the witch hunter and his companion who is a duardin is helping him. He goes on to explain this book will see how normal people view all the craziness but on the ground level things are still similar yet not. Like there is a shard of the world that was in the sea next to the city that is mined as currency to be used to glimpse in the future. 

Nick also describes the protagonists as quite gritty as well. 

Also the scourge privateers(corsairs) control the docks and they are not nice people going by Nick's description of them twitch chat called them pretty much Aelven mafia well they sound like it. xD

The witch hunter is from the order of ayzr created by sigmar to destroy corruption in the new cities but they are stretched to the absolute limit with all the new people coming into the cities. 

They also look at the divide between those who came from ayzr who are taking all the important jobs and the tribes nomands and people who survived the age of chaos coming into the cities it seems they live in the more slum like area. Also many of the people of ayzr view these people coming in corrupted by chaos because they wonder how they survived with the age of chaos hanging over them. 

Also we get to see how a normal human views a stormcast of course some are heroic and mingle with the populace but the ones in the city are the knight excelsior who hate everything to do with chaos and of course if they get a hint they will carry out a purge and purges happened in the past. Hence why the witch hunter's job is so important. 

One last thing sigmar's hope was to have all three main races living in the cities together of course certain armies are seperate and doing their own thing even if they are allies but largely the cities are a mixed population perhaps with one main group. Like the city in the novel is mainly a free guild city while let's say the one in the realm of life has a larger aelf population since it was mainly built by the phoenix temple. I quite like this since it makes it dynamic. 

Yeah so the city in the book is one of the main cities of the realm of ghur.

Now people want a new mordheim or AOS RPG the book sounds pretty awesome.

Following on this thought, maybe the disparate Rumor Mill images (dwarves and now possibly Devoted of Sigmar) are more connected than we thought? Just like the combined Tzeentch book soon to be coming, could we be looking at a Battletome: Free Cities? This would give us an expansion of maybe Free Peoples mixed with Devoted, Phoenix Temple, and Ironweld Arsenal (which some people have suggested may be the actual name for the Steamhead Duardin referenced in the fist book, just as Fyreslayers were the actual name of Red Slayers). This would make sense of the pieces that we have thus far and flesh out three subfactions that each need just a little bit of help. They don't share any common keywords, but that could be remedied though either the addition of a new keyword (Free Cities), or they stay as something independent given that their cities are largely independent. Just something to think about...

Edited by Thomas Lyons
  • Like 5

51 minutes ago, Vasshpit said:

This realm is heavy with Orruks, yeah?

Yes and chaos and plant life is also dangerous most things will try to kill you in the realm of ghur so the people who live there are tough as nails to survive through the age of chaos. 

It being ghur it's filled with beasts and monsters. 

Edited by shinros
  • Like 1

Maybe the piece of the world that was that grants a look into the future is a remnant of the Phoenix temple on ulthuan. In the chamber of secrets membera of the Phoenix guard could read the future in wordt written with fire.

this is just a guess ofcourse. But it Could be a way to expand on the Phoenix temple faction. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Dez said:

I like this idea, mostly because I'd like to paint and convert some Witch hunters I think :) 

Crossbow Handcannon Murder Friends are go!

To me the presence of the witch hunter would definatly support the theory that the rumor mill model is a mounted witch hunter.

15 minutes ago, KHHaunts said:

To me the presence of the witch hunter would definatly support the theory that the rumor mill model is a mounted witch hunter.

Well we do know for sure that the model is a sigmarite for sure and a normal human. 

Edited by shinros

This would make sense of the pieces that we have thus far and flesh out three subfactions that each need just a little bit of help. They don't share any common keywords, but that could be remedied though either the addition of a new keyword (Free Cities), or they stay as something independent given that their cities are largely independent. Just something to think about...

Or you could solve this by having the Disciples of Tzeentch style - one Allegiance (Tzeentch/Free Cities), with other mixed keywords (Daemon and Arcanite etc..) with one Battle Trait (Destiny Dice in DoT, something new for Free Cities), but command abilities and trait depend on the choice of general (Ironweld Arsenal, Fyreslayers and Devoted of Sigmar).

Anything that gives Fyreslayers a leg up would be welcome!

Given your spectacular wishlisting/call on the Swifthawk Faction being revitalised, I wouldn't want to wager against you being right again!

Edited by Nico
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nico said:

Or you could solve this by having the Disciples of Tzeentch style mixed keywords (Daemon and Arcanite etc..) in a single Allegiance with one Battle Trait (Destiny Dice in DoT, something new for Free Cities), but command abilities and trait depend on the choice of general.

It's keyword Tzeentch dude, though I wouldn't mind them whacking a new keyword on units in a Free Cities book to unify them a little better and keep the legacy units out of allegiance armies.

okQKfqI.png

All this talk of a Free Cities/Azyrheim battletome makes me want to wishlist more:

• Like 1

I think this model is the tail one, but the pattern probably means that we'll see a bigger one on that same base. I'm really feeling Witch Hunter now, especially since they mentioned it in that Weather thing and they'll feature in the new book. Mounted Witch Hunter with pet Gyrinx? Could be cool :)

22 minutes ago, Requizen said:

As above, the Gyrinx is historically an Eldar/Harlequin/Exodite familiar, so likely not for AoS, sadly.

Oh okay, but then they're still getting a bike, rider and cat or something like that? Interesting.

Also with the references in the weather report - what's what?

Stormcast - lightning

Tornados - Tzeentch

Rain of Blood - Khorne

Everwinter - Beastclaw Raiders

Brimstone - ?

All potential protagonists or antagonists at this point?