AoS 2 - Hedonites of Slaanesh Discussion

HERO

Question: if I were to convert more dismounted slickblades like the one in the underworlds warband, what could they ‘count as’ in a list? I only do converting and painting, But I’d like this unit to be useable in an actual battle. 

i’m looking at cypher lords and the leftover slickblades from the exalted seekers kit for the conversions, in case you were wondering. 

41 minutes ago, elfhead said:

Question: if I were to convert more dismounted slickblades like the one in the underworlds warband, what could they ‘count as’ in a list? I only do converting and painting, But I’d like this unit to be useable in an actual battle. 

i’m looking at cypher lords and the leftover slickblades from the exalted seekers kit for the conversions, in case you were wondering. 

Probably marauders, I'd say. While not Hedonites, they do hit hard and come on 25mm bases. Only issue is that you'd need a lot of them, which isn't ideal due to cost. 

Some of the cultists would also work, but they're not markable outside of Slaves to Darkness so that hurts.

Other than that, daemonettes are an option, but like marauders they're plentiful and they are daemons (not that that really matters, but you may prefer them to not have the daemon keyword).

14 hours ago, elfhead said:

What are the minimum unit sizes for marauders and daemonettes? Could you just run them as cypher lords? 

10 is the minimum for both marauders and daemonettes. Cypher lords would also work, but wouldn't have either the Slaanesh or Hedonite keyword, if that matteted to you.

13 minutes ago, TimeToWaste85 said:

Cypher lords actually get a mark now, apparently, according to S2D page. It’s in the newest WD update

Only in Slaves to Darkness, unfortunately :( I believe the wording is something like "in a Slaves to Darkness Army, Cultists can take a Mark of Chaos", so I don't think that applies outside of the faction.

2 minutes ago, azdimy said:

It s always been on the wound roll of 6s

I'm pretty sure that must always have been the case, looking at my battletome, but I'm certain, for whatever reason, I and a decent chunk of others have played it on a to hit. 

And yeah, it's almost definitely a simple mistake caused by most MWs being on a to hit, but I definitely remember thinking two things: "it's a slight nerf to Glutos in AoS 3 as 6s can't explode and do mortal wounds" and "it's weird that Painbringer Kyazu does mortal wounds on a hit and the other Painbringers do it on a wound". 

Obviously I'm mistaken, but usually with mistakes like that, they'd be because I didn't read it carefully enough, but for this I feel I put specific thought into it, and a few other people were of a similar mindset. It's definitely a mistake, just a weird shared one.  

3 hours ago, Enoby said:

I'm pretty sure that must always have been the case, looking at my battletome, but I'm certain, for whatever reason, I and a decent chunk of others have played it on a to hit. 

And yeah, it's almost definitely a simple mistake caused by most MWs being on a to hit, but I definitely remember thinking two things: "it's a slight nerf to Glutos in AoS 3 as 6s can't explode and do mortal wounds" and "it's weird that Painbringer Kyazu does mortal wounds on a hit and the other Painbringers do it on a wound". 

Obviously I'm mistaken, but usually with mistakes like that, they'd be because I didn't read it carefully enough, but for this I feel I put specific thought into it, and a few other people were of a similar mindset. It's definitely a mistake, just a weird shared one.  

What could be confusing is that the dread pageant warband from underworld does mortal wounds on 6s to hit

10 hours ago, Enoby said:

It's really easy to mix this stuff up in Slaanesh, I find, because so many other things do mortals on 6s to hit rather than to wound. I'm pretty sure when I started playing him, I was doing mortals on 6s to hit until I realized my mistake. Ditto Keepers. 

Edited by LeonBox
  • Like 2

I've been meaning to give him another go at some point once lockdown ends (it's finally due to end in just under two weeks!) as in theory he's a much better use of the points now than he was in 2.0. I think there's still better uses of the points but the fact his cost stayed about the same while near everything else jumped up is noteworthy.

• Like 2

What do you guys think of this list?

Allegiance: Slaanesh
- Host: Godseekers Host
- Grand Strategy: Dominating Presence
Triumphs: Inspired

Leaders
Bladebringer, Herald on Exalted Chariot (265)*
- General
- Command Trait: Speed-chaser
- Artefact: Amulet of Destiny (Universal Artefact)
- Universal Spell Lore: Flaming Weapon
Synessa, The Voice of Slaanesh (260)
The Masque (135)*
Chaos Sorcerer Lord (115)*
- Mark of Chaos: Slaanesh
- Lore of Pain and Pleasure: Battle Rapture

Battleline
11 x Blissbarb Archers (180)*
5 x Hellstriders with Hellscourges (135)*
1 x Seeker Chariots (130)**

Units
10 x Chaos Knights (340)**
- Cursed Lance
- Mark of Chaos: Slaanesh
- Reinforced x 1

Behemoths
Soul Grinder (235)*

Endless Spells & Invocations
Chronomantic Cogs (45)

Core Battalions
*Battle Regiment
•• hunters of the heartland
Total: 1975 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 1 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 112
Drops: 4

• Like 1

On 9/30/2021 at 8:54 AM, Slishy Gheistbane said:

Anyone have any luck bringing One-Eyed Grunnock? I've had the urge to convert a gargant for my hedonites recently.

I am only starting to play hedonites, but I played this list and it was good having him in there. Can generate a lot of depravity and gives the list a bit of wounds that it lacks. Glutos helps him with -1 to hit debuff and can split the threat. 

- Host: Lurid Haze Invaders Host (Host of Chaos)
- Grand Strategy: Hold the Line
- Triumphs: Indomitable
Glutos Orscollion, Lord of Gluttony (475)*
- Host Option: General
- Lore of Pain and Pleasure: Battle Rapture
Sigvald, Prince of Slaanesh (265)*
Shardspeaker of Slaanesh (150)*
- General
- Command Trait: Feverish Anticipation
- Artefact: Oil of Exultation
- Universal Spell Lore: Ghost-mist
One-Eyed Grunnock (470)
- Allies
22 x Blissbarb Archers (360)*
- Reinforced x 1
*Battle Regiment

Total: 1990 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 1 / 4
Allies: 470 / 400
Wounds: 106
Drops: 2

• Like 2

Been thinking of getting into Hedonites recently. How does this look for a 1k starter army?

- Host: Lurid Haze Invaders Host (Host of Chaos)
- Grand Strategy: 
- Triumphs: Bloodthirsty
Bladebringer, Herald on Exalted Chariot (265)*
- General
- Command Trait: Skin-taker
- Artefact: Amulet of Destiny (Universal Artefact)
- Universal Spell Lore: Flaming Weapon
Sigvald, Prince of Slaanesh (265)*
11 x Blissbarb Archers (180)*
8 x Iron Golems (75)*
8 x Iron Golems (75)*
*Battle Regiment

Total: 995 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 0 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 53
Drops: 1

1 drop, lurid haze, exalted chariot + sigvald as hammers, hellstriders for mobility/screens, iron golems for objectives/depravity, archers for some ranged threat

Also considered swapping Flaming Weapon for the levitate/healing spell, or running the same list in Godseekers.

Wasnt sure about Grand Strategy, doesn't seem like there are any obvious options for us.

• Like 1

Asking for a 40k player who’s interested in trying aos. He already had a number of Keepers already.

How do the twins hold up in 3.0?  Is one more popular / powerful than the other

Do the twins earn their position in a daemon list? 

Are there any particular daemon lists that are popular atm? 

Does Belakor bring anything new to the party, or could Slaanesh run well in Legion of the First Prince?

Cheers

Synessa is a solid toolbox, but requires finesse and practice to use optimally. Dexcessa is fun, but can easily find themselves overwhelmed before they build up steam, and lacks the defense and shenanigans of Sigvald.

Of the two, Syn is more commonly seen because heir tricks are rarer/better in a god meta, and they can hide. At least IME

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So I fought Slaanesh yesterday using my Ironjawz.

His list.

Lurid Haze
Glutos
-Extra spell... i had no idea what he was taking, I know one was Dark Delusion, don't know what the other spell was. 
Sigvald
Masque
Lord of Pain
-General with lurid haze trait and Artifact
Warstomper Mega Gargant Ally
3 Myrmadesh
Warlord and Battle Regiment. 

He said he was basing it off of the list that went 4-1 but added in the warstomper for some resilency. 

My list was Maw krusha with tons of MW capability on the charge and amulet
Megaboss on foot with a once per game +3 dam
2 warchanters
15 brutes
2x5 brutes
6 gore gruntas.

Scenario was shifting objectives.

I won to choose priority, so I allow him to go first. 

Turn 1
Top of 1
Sigvald is the only flanker
Glutos casts only shield, gargant is too far away to receive it, so it goes on glutos (this will end up saving glutos as he really wanted it on the gargant). Gargant moves on to my right most objective, while the myrmadesh form a small shield wall with glutos somewhat protected, masque and lord behind one wall of myrmadesh. It's a V formation with a terrain piece forming part of the blockade. Sigvald flanks my boars and kills one, I do 2-3 damage back to sigvald. He scores 5 points (Running battle tactic)

Button of 1

Battle tactic, take objective
15 brutes and maw krusha receive +1 damage. Everything moves up. Maw krusha gets 3" away from his front move. Boars retreat to take objective from the giant. 15 brutes moved 8" through mighty destroyers and walk.. I give the brutes a 3d6 charge and WAAAAGH'd. Maw krusha erases 5 myrmadesh and 15 brutes make it into other myrmadesh and glutos, dealing 8 wounds to glutos. Score 6 points.

Score 6-5, Ironjawz

Priority for 2, Slaanesh.

Glutos casts shield, and casts Dark Delusions, casting it on an 11... then failing to beat bravery 6 on orcs. (It's a bad spell, continuing to be bad).

Sigvald moves up to re-engage boars, masque moves out to try to pin my boars (Opponent did not see the GHB faq about fixing piling in again). Giant moves up to charge boars. Glutos retreats. Because maw krusha is unengaged, I charge the masque who failed to charge herself. Sigvald attacks some boars, Brutes kill more myrmadesh leaving 3 myrmadesh, lord of pain, and glutos to hold his center and the left flank agaist the remenant of my 15 brutes (down to 5 at this point and 2 5 man brutes in back up). Giant piles in to my maw krusha and megaboss and does 4 damage to my maw krusha and 6 damage to my megaboss. Megaboss has activated destroyer, piles in and deals 20 damage to the giant. 

Bottom of 2, Giant has 15 wounds remaining and in combat with the maw krusha and megaboss. Glutos has 11/18 wounds. Sigvald is half dead. lord of pain and 3 myrmadesh are still in combat with brutes.

At this point I have lost 2 boars, and 10 brutes while most everything of mine remains healthy. 

After the game, he admitted he over committed in the center instead of leaving just a myrmadesh squad to take the objective. He was always short on command points as I never really killed his generals and he kept going first, putting a lot of pressure on him to all out defense a lot to counteract the rend 2 on the brute squad. 

What's nice though is the club I went to, he's the only Slaanesh player, so we talked about a 2v2 slaanesh vs beasts of chaos. 

• Like 2