AoS 2 - Hedonites of Slaanesh Discussion

HERO

To me the fact that no mention whatsoever has been hinted towards the Depravity summoning mechanic is clear indication that it didn’t change. You would bring it up right away if you changed it, as it is the center of attention and “desire” for all fans. Or you just have no clue that it is in such need of an overhaul, in which case you wouldn’t have changed it anyway...

sounds like the old codex with new units and 3 battalions to go along with it. Everything that was remains as is.  Dissapointing and unsurprising.

Doesn’t mean however that interesting build can’t be made using the new  toys; I sure will try! But without changes to the core mechanics, i will hold off buying and theorycraft a few weeks before I decide if I can have some fun with this army “extension”, as opposed to an army “revamp”.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd recommend, if the battletome comes out and it's disappointing (esp around Depravity), we try it a few weeks (inc theorycrafting) and then send some polite and carefully worded emails to the rules team. Definitely not harassing them or demanding anything, but just saying why we're disappointed and what we'd like to see next time :)

While there was a huge outcry against the strength of Slaanesh, I'm not sure if it was visible that Slaanesh fans didn't like the rules. We talked about it amongst ourselves, but I'm not sure if there was ever a push towards GW about rules changing to make the army less skewed. Yes, they should have seen the issues already and changed them, but we may as well make them very visible (in a polite and constructive manner) if they happen to occur again.

• Like 1

Agreed, I put away Slaanesh when it was clearly way too strong and that even a fun list of models I liked was stupidly strong and even if i bring slaanesh now, I just bring 10 hellstriders, 6 fiends, and a keeper in pretenders. Sure the keeper murders, but everything else is pillowfisted... and surprise, I lose often with the list, but I could try to bring a bunch of daemonettes or switch to marauders, but that would just be taking the powerful things and frankly that's no fun. 

My ultimate goal is to get close games. I don't want to dominate my opponent, nor do I want to be dominated and I don't want most of my army mechanics to exclude most of my army. Turn 5 "oh man who could win?!" are ideal. 

• Like 2

GW is hyping our new Hedonites, by the way of sensory deprivation.

Well, the models are among the best GW has ever produced and artwork is very good.  I do believe that hero and unit stats and rules will be quite good too.

So, let us wait a little more, we will know where we stand as faction soon.

@Popisdead

Yeah, I am the guy asking for BL novel dedicated to Hedonites. I have read all the short stories of AoS that focus on Slaanesh, Garden of Mortal Delights included.  A very interesting story and I do recommend it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Popisdead said:

Someone had asked about Slaanesh stories and I found this the novel The Garden of Mortal Delights.  Slaanesh Sylvaneth Story that's really good (cause i really like Slaanesh and love Sylvaneth).  https://www.blacklibrary.com/all-products/the-garden-of-mortal-delights-eshort-2019.html

Just to add, that particular short story is also part of Oaths and Conquests which gets you a load of other great short stories

https://www.blacklibrary.com/warhammer-age-of-sigmar/novels/age-of-sigmar-oaths-and-conquests-ebook-2020.html

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Carnith said:

Archers on 32s? Looks like they are on the same base as the shard speaker.

Some have pointed that it look like they were on 32mm, but this picture seens to confirm it. It should also confirm that the seekers are on bigger bases than the normal 35x60mm cavalary base, judging by other pictures.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Overread said:

Just to add, that particular short story is also part of Oaths and Conquests which gets you a load of other great short stories

https://www.blacklibrary.com/warhammer-age-of-sigmar/novels/age-of-sigmar-oaths-and-conquests-ebook-2020.html

recomend Direchasm andRealm-Lords
Black Library - Ebook: Direchasm
Black Library - Realm-Lords EN

7 minutes ago, CeleFAZE said:

It appears the seekers are on the same base size as fiends and chaos knights.

I think they're (fiends and knights) on different base sizes - but it's really hard to tell which one these new seekers are on. They looked big compared to the magmadroth!

Edited by Enoby

1 hour ago, azdimy said:

At least saturday we ll be able to download the new warscrolls. Current community articles have been quite underwhelming regarding the new rules so far

Yeah, true. I think there's still a lot to look forward to in this battletome, even if it's just a rewrite; even if it's not ideal, if our new warscrolls are well balanced enough we can still make interesting lists out of them even if we can't maximise depravity 

• Like 1

Having read pretty much all of these types of articles since they started doing them, these really are the most low effort rules previews they've done to date. Besides one or two little tidbits, they're just putting up information that's accurate for the old book, as if they purposefully don't want to reveal the changes and what our new units do. They're doing a terrible job of not only getting us excited for the new units, but also of selling us on the idea that this battletome isn't just going to be a reprint with the erratas/FAQs and a few new warscrolls slotted in. 

I'm not complaining, mind. I'll be dropping a lot of dosh on pre-order day regardless, but the fact they've not even mentioned what the new warscrolls do or if Depravity has changed in any way is making me want to hold off on some of the units that aren't confirmed to be Battleline (i.e. Slickblades.) 

I will say however that getting confirmation that Myrmidesh and the Twinsouls can be Battleline is a big deal, especially as it's tied to the inexpensive Lord of Pain and not a named character like I expected. That means - unless we do end up losing Hellstriders as Battleline with no replacement among the cavalry units - we're gaining at least three new Battleline choices, which is something the book sorely needed. It also means they will have a place regardless of if Depravity changes or not, which I'm slowly starting to accept probably hasn't been reworked in any meaningful way, if at all. 

Edited by Jaskier
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, azdimy said:

At least saturday we ll be able to download the new warscrolls. Current community articles have been quite underwhelming regarding the new rules so far

Don't forget man-reads-book! Those videos usually go up on pre-order day, so we should know everything there is to know before the day is out. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Jaskier said:

They're doing a terrible job of not only getting us excited for the new units, but also of selling us on the idea that this battletome isn't just going to be a reprint with the erratas/FAQs and a few new warscrolls slotted in. 

Yeah, the more I think about it the more I think this is mishandled marketing - or at least, something has been mishandled when it comes to rules hype. 

From what I remember, the DoK have had very little said about them too - a few previews of the temples which may be the same/similar to the old tome? 

Regardless, even if every single rule is the same as the last battletome and it's just new mortals stapled on, they have 9 warscrolls to reveal and hype up in the 6 days to preorder. Even if they hype one box at a time, they have the archers, the caster, the painbringer/twin souls, the two seekers, Glutos, Slaangors, and Sigvald - that's 7 articles that could be talked up in the week leading to preorder. Even if they have absolutely no new allegiance abilities and even the godawful mortal spell lore is the same, they have enough definite new content to hype up but have chosen not to.

I'm not sure of the reason (there probably is one down the line), but it's an odd choice.

• Like 2

It might even be so simple as whoever is the staffer who normally oversees what the community team releases isn't currently accessible (away from the office/on holiday/furloughed/sick etc...) and thus the community team is scrabbling with the basic understanding of their job in terms of art and text, but isn't quite sure what they are and aren't allowed or supposed to reveal. 

Or GW knows that "man reads book" is coming and aren't that worried because there's still a full week to go. They don't have to sell out on Saturday; they've a week of pre-order time before they reach the market. 

Just 3 days or so to go! Then another week :P

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Overread said:

Just 3 days or so to go! Then another week :P

You make a good point :) that said, I really cannot remember as I've not tracked a release this close in a while, but are the hype articles just for the preorder or are they also for the week after the preorder leading to the release too? 

Normally it shifts gears again once pre-order week hits. 

But it can be VERY random at times. Eg Gloomspite Gitz got a lot of coverage and hype of core new products and existing Forgeworld ones - however many other races the community team seems to never remember FW exists (that or they don't have a single painted greater demon model in stock and only have some Goblin ones). 

Some armies get loads of hype and details; some get less. I think GW experiments, messes around, but rather like how their design team is team led by creatives; it might just be that some armies get more hype because whoever is in charge/doing the work is more hyped about them. Or just knows a bit more about them which makes the work go faster so they end up producing more. 

That said most of us active in this thread don't need GW's hype. We already hyped ourselves up with what they gave us - we just want it all and more now not in a week and a half 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Enoby said:

Yeah, the more I think about it the more I think this is mishandled marketing - or at least, something has been mishandled when it comes to rules hype. 

From what I remember, the DoK have had very little said about them too - a few previews of the temples which may be the same/similar to the old tome? 

Regardless, even if every single rule is the same as the last battletome and it's just new mortals stapled on, they have 9 warscrolls to reveal and hype up in the 6 days to preorder. Even if they hype one box at a time, they have the archers, the caster, the painbringer/twin souls, the two seekers, Glutos, Slaangors, and Sigvald - that's 7 articles that could be talked up in the week leading to preorder. Even if they have absolutely no new allegiance abilities and even the godawful mortal spell lore is the same, they have enough definite new content to hype up but have chosen not to.

I'm not sure of the reason (there probably is one down the line), but it's an odd choice.

I don’t mean to be pessimistic, but it could indicate that the battletomb has little to no changes regarding the current Daemon units and battalions, or the mortal units aren’t attractive on the warscrolls. Maybe the reason GW is not showing off as much content is because they know if they show us something unchanged or “weak”, it will discourage us from purchasing the battletomb.  

In the past, Games Workshop and the marketing team have been sketchy regarding content that they’re not fully confident in. Arguably, in my opinion, the worst example of this was the relatively recent Deathwatch Codex that was released back in October. The details they showed were scarce, and when they were questioned about whether Primaris would have special issue ammunition, the marketing team quoted that they would via Twitter. This was a boarder-line lie: the Primaris only had access to special issue ammunition through the implementation of a very poorly/practically useless stratagem. 

I hope that I am wrong, but if GW was confident that they would release something that would make people happy, they would tease it more. The Dark Angels got a lot of love leading up to their release, and they’re amazing right now; so why not us? After Sigvald was revealed I was hoping we would at least get some hype for him in the form of rule teasers, but it seems GW didn’t want to reveal the details on him either; it’s very strange. 

Maybe tomorrow or Friday will get something? My hopes are high and I don’t mean to cause fear or doubt, but I am getting off bad vibes that they haven’t even teased any news rules besides the Lord of Pain giving us Painbringers/Twinsouls as troops. 

Edited by AngryPanda
  • Like 1

Not having Daughters of Khaine previews make sense because the range was updated very recently in Broken Realms Morathi and everyone expect the new Battletome to mostly be that updates going to an official Battletome, the sub-faction teased were the already existing ones too as long as im concerned. They can only preview the new endless spells and that's it.

But Slaanesh existed for 2 years aprox and have core issues that were obvious since so long, like depravity and fiends and the failed design of our small heroes, there is a lot of fuel on that. DoK already fixed the old warscrolls in BR-Morathi, we still are waiting for that treatment.

Maybe they got a marketing strategy of not talking about old models to sell more of the new toys instead. New toys are 2x the price of old ones after all.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Yoid said:

Not having Daughters of Khaine previews make sense because the range was updated very recently in Broken Realms Morathi and everyone expect the new Battletome to mostly be that updates going to an official Battletome, the sub-faction teased were the already existing ones too as long as im concerned. They can only preview the new endless spells and that's it.

But Slaanesh existed for 2 years aprox and have core issues that were obvious since so long, like depravity and fiends and the failed design of our small heroes, there is a lot of fuel on that. DoK already fixed the old warscrolls in BR-Morathi, we still are waiting for that treatment.

Maybe they got a marketing strategy of not talking about old models to sell more of the new toys instead. New toys are 2x the price of old ones after all.

I can tell you from a DoK perspective that, while there isn't a whole new line of models being released, and there were 3 warscroll changes in broken realms (one being simply adding 1 attack to 1 weapon, and many warscrolls needing attention completely ignored), the excitement is 100% on subfaction changes. We didn't get any changes to existing factions in broken realms, and there is a serious issue of many of the subfactions being useless in the current book. There are still busted warscrolls (good and bad). DoK has been around for 3 years and have had glaring issues since inception. Some major similarities between Daughters and slaanesh in this regard. 

I'm super excited to see what is coming for slaanesh as well, but compared to DoK, slaanesh has had a wealth of knowledge. Daughters didn't get any preview at all yesterday, and today's had nothing substantial or new whatsoever. Guess I'm just saying it could be worse for you all. You're getting some info at the least.

On a positive note, I'm very excited to see what those blissbarbs do. Seriously hoping for some decent rules on warscroll so I can ally them into my slaves to darkness.

• Like 2

Maybe the covid could be playing a factor? Perhaps the disruption that the covid has been causing has hampered GW and the marketing from releasing any news, or at least had made them careful in releasing info due to the disruption? Just a few coins for thought, as perhaps they’ve focused their energies towards other components being that Slaanesh is essentially finished and ready to release.