Hoping for more books/narratives like Malign Portents?

NinjaBadger7

Hello everyone!

As per the title, do you think AoS would benefit from more content like Malign Portents in the future?

Personally I thought it was really good especially lore wise (it was great fun talking about it on our podcast) and the way it introduced new characters like Marakarr Blood-Sky and narrative play.  In some ways, it was worth for the short stories alone!

If so, what would you to see? 

1 hour ago, NinjaBadger7 said:

Out of interest, what did you not like about the MP book?

It didn't feel like a real strong epic story.  The realmgate wars the way the stories went, interweaving, etc. Really felt like a good strong narrative.  Plus I loved how they gave you the optional rules for the story as it went along.   So you could play in that section of the realm with your own armies (even if they didn't match)

The malign portents stories got me into AoS and i don't think im the only one!.  I thought they were fantastic, clear stories setting out the realms and it's people and lots of teasers and easter eggs.  Those stories plus miniwargamings enthusiastic coverage of AoS has now got me hooked, i dont even look at the main 40k game now although i am enjoying necromunda, kill team and blackstone fortress 

Might be the unpopular opinion here but I love the 4 realmgate wars books!

Everything in them was/is amazing to me: the maps, the lore, the images and the optional rules.

What MP did was much more focused and to me at least, somehow narrower. If they could take the no-nonsense low level attitude of the MP book and short stories and combine them with the realm-spanning epic action of the realmgate wars books - now that for me would be the ultimate campaign book.

Just poking in to agree that I also really enjoyed the Malign Portents short stories, I was admittedly a bit meh to follow them, though it was actually 2+ Tough's vid on some that made me go back and catch up and I grew to love them!

I'm a Skaven guy, so I really loved when they appeared, the whole narrative with the deal made with Clan Eshin (and the fallout of it causing the Necroquake to begin with!) and also the short stories referenced later, especially the typically Skaven comuppance as they tried drilling to Shyish, reading later in the corebook for 2.0 that it led to the 'Year of the Drowned Rat' in Blight City felt nice to be catching a reference. Reading those references again in the Skaven battletome has been great too.

I haven't read Vigilus (... yet, perhaps) though more short small bite-size tales I can read when I have a quiet minute is always welcome, and yes, as said above I'd also like if they collected up the Malign Portents tales in a physical paperback, it'd be a great way for getting others to catch up with new lore too.

Archived