Leaders:

Loonboss on Mangler

Trait: Fight Another Day

Artefact: Doppleganger Cloack

Fungoid Shaman

Lore Spell: Squig Lure

Units:

5x Bounderz

So now that I know what my initial warband will be, what should plan to add for my first followers? (We are playing where we roll to either get a boon or follower, but if you get a follower you can pick instead of rolling on a follower table). I obviously already have another 5 bounder built, I also have another box I was planning to build as Hoppers, a Squig Herd Box, a fanatics box, and a goblapalooza box. We also aren't allowing Battalions (kinda broke the last Path to Glory that the store ran)

The current thought is to add the five other bounders and then some sporespallas to screen my wizard. Does this sound like pure foolishness? Should I be looking at the herd? Any advice would be helpful.

Just curious if anyones run the Gobbapalooza, either with or without the battalion and what they thought of it.  I'm planning on using it in my for-funsies games, but I really want to use it in any competitive list, should I play in a tourney.  It seems like a nice variety of buffers than you can use to distribute and chase units with, and I feel like if running multiple endless spells, probably a decent alternative to a shaman (so running a shaman and Gobbapalooza instead of 2 shamans)

I feel like, if running it, the battalion is probably a good source of the battalion bonuses, if you're like me and not quite planning on running one of the main grot/squig/etc focused battalions.

1 hour ago, InfernalStone said:

Gobbapalooza

I think its probably too many points (1270 points) but I was looking at building a list that is based off 60 grots, 1 unit of snufflers, 1 unit of spore fanatics, gobbapalooza with battalion, loonboss, and loonboss on mangler.

I'm pretty sure all the keywords align such that you can buff the loonboss on mangler with all 3 gobbapalooza buffs +2 attacks from the snufflers and spores... then when hes flown off and out of range doing his thing you can move the 1 gobbapalooza buff that doesn't target a hero, +2 attacks from the snufflers and spores and the foot loonbosses CA to the unit of 60 grots.

Something like this (Endless spells were added because there cool models and you have 5 casters, you could drop them):

I don't know if this list can be hyper competitive but it literally has all my favorite models in it and I'm not convinced its a bad list that you could not do well with if you got a good draw and smart play (Maybe grots do need 180 bodies thou... Im not sure).

Allegiance: Gloomspite Gitz

Leaders
Loonboss on Mangler Squigs (300)
Loonboss (70)
Skragrott, The Loonking (220)
- General
Webspinner Shaman (80)
Madcap Shaman (80)

Battleline
60 x Stabbas (360)
- Pokin Spears & Moon Shields
6 x Squig Herd (70)
6 x Squig Herd (70)

Units
5 x Boggleye (240)
5 x Sporesplatta Fanatics (120)
6 x Sneaky Snufflers (70)

Battalions
Gobbapalooza (110)

Endless Spells
Scuttletide (30)
Scrapskuttle's Arachnacauldron (50)
Mork's Mighty Mushroom (80)
Malevolent Moon (50)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1

Edited by svnvaldez

48 minutes ago, svnvaldez said:

I'm pretty sure all the keywords align such that you can buff the loonboss on mangler with all 3 gobbapalooza buffs +2 attacks from the snufflers and spores... then when hes flown off and out of range doing his thing you can move the 1 gobbapalooza buff that doesn't target a hero, +2 attacks from the snufflers and spores and the foot loonbosses CA to the unit of 60 grots.

Nope, the Loonboss on Mangler does not have the Grot keyword.  This means he cannot be a target for the buffs from the Brewgit, Spiker, Scaremonger, or Sporesplatta Fanatics.  You can target him with the Snufflers - but that is about it.

20 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

Nope, the Loonboss on Mangler does not have the Grot keyword.  This means he cannot be a target for the buffs from the Brewgit, Spiker, Scaremonger, or Sporesplatta Fanatics.  You can target him with the Snufflers - but that is about it.

I was assuming Moonclan = Moonclan Grot but your 100% right.

1 hour ago, svnvaldez said:

I was assuming Moonclan = Moonclan Grot but your 100% right.

Yeah, there is some serious keyword-bingo going on in the Gloomspite book and they very deliberately segregated ability interactions using very specific keywords.  There are some keyword interactions that are easy to overlook but the main one is the "grot" keyword.  A whole lot of Grot models do not actually have the grot keyword.  And there is a distinct difference between "moonclan" and "moonclan grot" in this book.  Basic rule of thumb is all Behemoth and Squig units do not have the grot keyword.

In addition, the biggest issue that I have with the Gobbapalooza is that their buffs are absurdly restricted in terms of what they can be used on.  The Gobbapalooza really is only worthwhile if you are going heavy on Stabbas/Shootas since that is really the only unit that can effectively take advantage of most of the buffs.  The Brewgit is a bit maddening because his buff is probably the most restricted buff in the army.  It only really works for the normal Loonboss, Loonboss with Great Cave Squig (the old Skarsnik model), and Skragrott.   The Brewgit is probably my favorite sculpt in the Gobbapalooza but he is of questionable worth most of the time sadly.

I hope that someone unlocks the Gobbapalooza as being something more than some really fun models, but to me they feel like the biggest miss in the book.  The models are just so much fun that I really wish they had designed them with broader utility.

Edited by Skabnoze
  • Like 2

Spiderfang question.  I'm thinking about the Scuttleboss with Black Fang and Monstrous Mount (+plus Shaman with Totem of the Spider God and Venom of the Spider God) combination and I believe I've been doing this wrong.  My first interpretation was that all of his 8 attacks (4 spear, 4 spider) do 4+D3 MW for each unmodified 5+ rolled to hit.  After looking closer at the rules as written, I'm thinking that Black fang only applies to his 4 spear attacks AND only applies to 6's (doesn't get the benefit of the Totem of the Spider God).  

So instead its 4 attacks from the spider doing 4MW on 5+; 4 spear attacks doing 4MW on a 5, 4+D3MW on 6

Is that correct (sorry if this has been discussed in this thread already, I wasn't able to find anything with the search function)?

13 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

I hope that someone unlocks the Gobbapalooza as being something more than some really fun models, but to me they feel like the biggest miss in the book.  The models are just so much fun that I really wish they had designed them with broader utility.

Yep, totally agree.  Fanatics are another one btw...Grots that aren't Grots, WTF!  I get the idea, but when you look at the overall power level of book compared to the others that have been coming out, it feels a bit petty to me.

Gobbapalooza is the place where all the keyword bingo comes together into one big, warscroll-crippling mess.  By this stage the contortions are so twisted and wracked that most of the utility has been wrung out of these awesome models.  I've passed on them completely for now.

On a more positive note, one thing to point out for anyone who hasn't cottoned on (which I'm sure you have @Skabnoze) is that Brewgit can buff Skragrott's shooting attack, which is probably its best use in my opinion.

Ok... I'm super confused with Gobbapalooza. Are they 240 each or 240 points for all five? I feel like if they're 240 for all five then surely it's a no brainer? 2 wizards + the abilities from all of them for just 240 + you could also add the battalion? On the age of Sigmar app, I can add up to 6 (not 5) for 240 points, but that just doesn't seem right, am I missing something? Thanks!

1 minute ago, ItzMercy said:

Ok... I'm super confused with Gobbapalooza. Are they 240 each or 240 points for all five? I feel like if they're 240 for all five then surely it's a no brainer? 2 wizards + the abilities from all of them for just 240 + you could also add the battalion? On the age of Sigmar app, I can add up to 6 (not 5) for 240 points, but that just doesn't seem right, am I missing something? Thanks!

It is 240 for all five together.  The thing people are complaining about is that the Gobbapalooza doesn't perfectly fit into more themed lists.  They don't really apply any benefit to Squig/Spider riders or Troggoths.  Having 2 cheap wizards is nice but remember that they are not heroes, so they cannot take spells from the lores or artifacts.  They only get access to the basic spells on their warscrolls and endless spells (and any realms of battle spells for the battlefield)

41 minutes ago, PlasticCraic said:

On a more positive note, one thing to point out for anyone who hasn't cottoned on (which I'm sure you have @Skabnoze) is that Brewgit can buff Skragrott's shooting attack, which is probably its best use in my opinion.

Skragrotts hand cannon is honestly amazing, combine with his personal spell and he's such a great model.

42 minutes ago, PlasticCraic said:

Yep, totally agree.  Fanatics are another one btw...Grots that aren't Grots, WTF!  I get the idea, but when you look at the overall power level of book compared to the others that have been coming out, it feels a bit petty to me.

I think that the problem with Gloomspite is that it's a far more complicated book than FEC or Skaven.

Skaven has some meta defining warscrolls (all the warp throwers) and a couple of warscrolls which hard counter a Horde meta, against elite multi-wound armies with/without a MW save suddenly they start to struggle. It's more of a perfect storm for them currently.

FEC on the other hand has a pretty good book which is on par with ours, then they have the Royal Terrorgheist. Those two warscrolls are the source of all the problems in the book. It's table has basically no effect on it's power level, it gets a "mount trait" which is basically an extra artefact which gives you a reroll on the only attack it has which matters, always striking first and able to do it twice.

You change the Gaping Maw to instead do D6 mortals (rather than 6) and suddenly FEC are no where near as disgusting.

58 minutes ago, PlasticCraic said:

Gobbapalooza is the place where all the keyword bingo comes together into one big, warscroll-crippling mess.  By this stage the contortions are so twisted and wracked that most of the utility has been wrung out of these awesome models.  I've passed on them completely for now.

Honestly I like them because without them a pure Grot list would be pointless, they are there purely for that reason. With that said Shroomancer and Boggleye are both unbelievably amazing in the current Meta. Boggleye especially functions as a hard counter to the GKoRT by forcing him to fight at the end of the combat phase until your next hero phase, that effect alone is potentially worth 240 points. 

Most Gloomspite armies are going to be running a unit of 60 Stabbas, if you also have Skragrott in your list then the Gobbapalooza is fantastic. It gives you 2 incredibly powerful spells (seriously they are amazing), 3 solid buffs, 2 extra unbinds and 2 extra wizards to stand on objectives which require them.

So to reiterate my earlier point, Skaven and FEC have some very obviously powerful warscrolls/abilities which are easy to play. Gloomspite has a ton of power in its book but it's not as easy to list build as the other two. There is a definite temptation to build themed lists from the keyword soup I just can't help but feel it's actually a trap. Sure you can build a full Squig list but what does it actually get you. 

Right now nobody has the models or experience with the list to actually make it pop, it is still a strong book in my opinion.

• Like 3

Here's a photo from last nights game. I don't have a fully painted army yet but seeing just a few of the completed squads next to each other looks so good!

gobbooo.jpg.6d7f96b40c5a67983161aa114dc5ca27.jpg

I played a 1500 point game against my friends Legion of Sacrament. It was a really close game, my friend won by 1 objective point. With the Squig Gobba + Spiteful prodder I was able to turn 1 snipe a Necromancer away, but unfortunately for the rest of the game the Gobba didn't do to much... I love the model which is why I take it, but a squad of trolls would probably have been more useful. However in games where I have a home objective I think the squig gobba is a good choice. What do you guys think about it?

The list I used is as follows.

-------------------------------

Skagrott - General

Loonboss - Spiteful Prodder

Madcap Shaman

x40 Stabbas

x20 Stabbas

Squig Gobba

Mangler Squig

x10 Boingrot Bounderz

x5 Loonsmasha fanatics

1500/1500 Points

---------------------------------

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Malakree said:

Skragrotts hand cannon is honestly amazing, combine with his personal spell and he's such a great model.

Yep, probably my favourite thing about the book.  Love the sculpt too.

Honestly I like them because without them a pure Grot list would be pointless, they are there purely for that reason. With that said Shroomancer and Boggleye are both unbelievably amazing in the current Meta. Boggleye especially functions as a hard counter to the GKoRT by forcing him to fight at the end of the combat phase until your next hero phase, that effect alone is potentially worth 240 points. 

Most Gloomspite armies are going to be running a unit of 60 Stabbas, if you also have Skragrott in your list then the Gobbapalooza is fantastic. It gives you 2 incredibly powerful spells (seriously they are amazing), 3 solid buffs, 2 extra unbinds and 2 extra wizards to stand on objectives which require them.

The spells are excellent, but hobbled by short range.  Coupled with the fact that most of them are 3 wounds, I struggle to see you actually getting to use them very often.  They will often die to incidental plink damage before you get close.

I think you can still make a good army with them in there, because that will be because what surrounds them is strong enough to carry an inefficient unit (ok technically 5 inefficient units!), which is what I think they are.  

Breaking them down:

Scaremonger: has a chance to make a Moonclan Grot unit reroll its run or charge.  Of limited value when generic CAs are significantly better and this army is awash with them.  I would never take him on his own.

Brewgit: useful, mainly for buffing Skragrott's shooting.  I quite like this guy for that reason.  Wish he had 4 wounds.

Spiker: has a chance to make a Moonclan Grot unit reroll wound rolls of 1.  Very useful, especially for buffing up a Moonclan Deathstar and fishing for those 6s for MWs. 

Boggleye: very nice passive Battleshock immunity (bypasses the Nighthaunt batallion that blocks Inspiring Presence too).  Or making an enemy unit fight last - although there is other access to the same effect in this book.  Itchy Nuisance for one has a longer range, and it's a real edge case thing that you'd need to double up on them.

Shroomancer: has the Troggoth Hag spell, but with a cripplingly short range of 8".  Amazing on the rare occassions you will get to cast it.

Overall, there are a couple of interesting pieces and a couple of taxes in there imo, which makes the overall package quite poor value. 

Question for the people who are using them: are you using the Batallion, or not?

Edited by PlasticCraic

Right now nobody has the models or experience with the list to actually make it pop, it is still a strong book in my opinion.

Absolutely, it's definitely a strong (and complex) book.  But I do also think it's accurate to say (or at least fair to speculate) that it will shake out to be the least strong of the 3 new Battletomes.  Time will tell!

Not trying to put a downer on the whole book by the way - it's a great toolkit to work with. 

It's specifically the keyword bingo that I dislike and which I believe went to an unnecessary extent, particularly in the context of the full-blown insanity of some of the stuff in FEC and Skaven (Verminlords are *fine*...but let's stop the Fungoid taking an artefact from a half-baked table of 3!).

It's still a very good book.  Way more hits than misses in there.

i think it mainly is the Allegiance ability being unreliable and not affecting the board turn one that make it feel lacking.

if the Bad moon was less wonky and worked more like other turn based ability, the power level would feel a bit better.

but at least the Gloomspite didn't have the battleline limitation that the Skaven book has, so list building is flexible for the most part.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, PlasticCraic said:

It's only both fanatic units that are Moonclan and not Grot.  I assumed this the easiest way for GW to stop the fanatics buffing/hiding in themselves.

Other problem with the Gobbapalooza is you probably should be taking the Gobbapalooza battalion too (taking you to 350 for the set) or accept that you'll always be going second due to those 5 drops.  For 110 points and no other taxes, you're boosting the Gobba effectiveness and getting that second artefact and command point.  Better than the Skulkmob battalion too.

Hi All,

A quick Sheffield round-up from the 2nd Gloomspite player there... avoiding last Gloomspite by a sports vote! As always this was a great event and will remain on my must attend list. Great work from Pete & Adie. 

List:

• Loonboss with Giant Squig - Cunning Plan & Spiteful Prodder
  • Fungoid Shaman - Hand of Gork
  • Madcap Shaman - Itchy Nusiance
  • Madcap Shaman - Greenspite
  • 60 Stabbas (Spears)
  • 60 Stabbas (Spears)
  • 24 Squig Herd
  • 5 Loomsmashas
  • Aleguzzler Gargant
  • Aleguzzler Gargant
  • Mushroom, Scuttletide, Pallisade, Gravetide, QuicksilTer Swords

They were my first 5 games with Gloomspite and I definitely made mistakes throughout the tournament. There's just so much to learn and remember. It was a shame that there were only 3 of us, but very different armies - Spiders one, my one, Squig Hopper & Boingrot one. I like the variety of the book.

I played: Nighthaunt (Lost); Beast of Chaos (Won); Archaon Nurgle (Lost); Ironjawz (Lost); Skaven (Won)

The Gloomspite army definitely has possibilities, and I enjoyed all my games - I felt I wasn't outclassed in any of the games. Skaven was against Wayne Kemp with his lovely army... but not optimally made so difficult to take information on the Skaven book, but Thanquol is definitely beatable. Just need to attack him in combat and the wounds start to show.

The Endless spells were great fun, the Mushroom making people change their plans / movement and Scuttletide hunting for characters, and either stopping movement, or forcing opponents to move away. The Quicksilver swords were great with so much Chaos at the tournament.

I have GW Heat 1 this weekend, so planning a few changes to the list.

OUT:

• Aleguzzler Gargant x2
  • Loonboss with Giant Squig (because I don't have GW model painted)
  • Pallisade
  • Gravetide

IN

• 24 Squig Herd
  • reduction of 60-40 on one unit
  • 20 Shoota unit (to try)
  • Loonboss

I only did it in the last 2 games, but teleporting the Squig Herd with Hand of Gork and being able to re-roll the charge roll feels very powerful, and there aren't many armies who can ignore 24 models and 48 wounds in their back lines. They can also survive and operate without character involvement which is useful so far away. Unfortunately the Gargants (which I love, and keep trying to take) are just awful again, even with the 2018 points drop. Will I try them again - yes; because I a problem... - should I ; definitely no!

Hopefully I'll have more luck at GW Heat 1. Hoping to improve and go 3 wins; but if I get practice against a difficult Skaven or FEC army I'll be happy as well. Would be amazing to qualify; but a little too much to hopeful this early in Gloomspite book (despite my Moonclan and Gitmob experince pre Battletome)

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Skeekrit said:

IN

• 24 Squig Herd

So that's 2 units of 24? 

7 minutes ago, Skeekrit said:

Unfortunately the Gargants (which I love, and keep trying to take) are just awful again, even with the 2018 points drop.

I always ask myself what points value would they have to be to be good...100, 120? I'm not sure.

2 minutes ago, Malakree said:

So that's 2 units of 24? 

I always ask myself what points value would they have to be to be good...100, 120? I'm not sure.

Yes - 2 units of Squig Herd. They seemed to be very good and able to hold up the enemy. The -1 rend was welcome as well

The gargant points value is difficult to judge. The problem is they have the potential to go completely over the top, hit with everything, roll 18 attacks and do 6 wounds for a headbut... or they can fall over on the charge no-where near a character and injure your own army. If they get a small decrease in GHB19 I'll try them again, but it's difficult to see them being used regularly without a significant cost drop to (say) 120. Problem is explaining that to the one opponent a year where they go insane and kill his 500 point model!

• Like 1