Bringing things back from the history of fantasy

Thought this would be a fun chat and a way to share some old stories and old critters from the archives that some newer to Sigmar/Warhammer might not have heard of.  These could be creatures once from the game itself or buried deep within its lore and never yet realised as models themselves. 

For Daughters of Khaine I'd welcome the return of;
Manticores - granted they still have a model for Chaos, but it would be good to see a version of it return to the Daughters (they are supposed to be believed to be monsters of Khaine himself). Would give a great excuse for a brand new sculpt that isn't tainted by the twisted magics of chaos
http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Manticore

Beastmaster;
whilst many of the beasts they once commanded are gone it leaves an opening for new types of beast to be added. Might fit the Sourge Privateers better (captured beasts from far over the seas), but either way leaves a vector for new monsters and critters to be added 
http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Beastmaster

I think that when a Moonclan Battletome comes out they will go full blown into the crazy mushroom addicts & monstrous squig creatures.  I am fully on board with that idea, but I will be a bit sad to see them finally shed the utter hatred for dwarfs.  Mushrooms and Squigs have always defined Night Goblins in Warhammer Fantasy - but their absolute utter hatred of dwarfs was the third pillar of their fluff.  If you look at the models over the years that they have made for Night Goblins a lot of the heroes carried stolen dwarf items or scalped dwarf beards.  The dwarfs in return hated all greenskins and so dwarf vs Night Goblin was always a fun and fluffy match-up.

I'll be sad to see that go, but I hope that in the fluff for a Moonclan book they at least write some stories about battles with Dispossessed as a bit of a nod towards that old grudge.

ah, good ol' dogs of war, so many ideas and parodies in one Armey Book, that hasn't been updated in at least the last 18 years ^^.

But of all of WHFB, who should have come back for AoS as the 5th God of Chaos, pushing the Rat back in its lower place (where it can scheme and plot, grow and undermine reality) is MALAL  Zuvassin-Necoho *. That dude knew how to party and he is truely chaos incarnated

*Due to legal resons Malal doesn't want to be mentioned and prevers that we refere to his holiday replacement, in case we might or moght not need them

Quoting Ecclesiarch Decius XXIII "He doesn't exist, shut up about it". ;) 

Back on topić: Dogs of Wars is a good idea. Not necessarily in the form of old units, but Mortal Realms are big and there are surely mercenary warbands with even crazier themes than Birdmen of Catrazza, Long Drong Slayers or the Bearmen of Urslo. 

25 minutes ago, michu said:

Quoting Ecclesiarch Decius XXIII "He doesn't exist, shut up about it". ;)

that chap behaves according to plan, spoken like a true worshiper of Malal. But seriously, bring back Be'lakor and use him as a way to introduce rough choas worshipers - Follwoing Choas but reject the big 4 Gods (and the Rat) as well as chaos undivided as a combination of the big 4 with Archaeon as Everchosen. Come to think of it, Darkoath might be the faction to do so!

13 hours ago, Overread said:

Thought this would be a fun chat and a way to share some old stories and old critters from the archives that some newer to Sigmar/Warhammer might not have heard of.  These could be creatures once from the game itself or buried deep within its lore and never yet realised as models themselves. 

For Daughters of Khaine I'd welcome the return of;
Manticores - granted they still have a model for Chaos, but it would be good to see a version of it return to the Daughters (they are supposed to be believed to be monsters of Khaine himself). Would give a great excuse for a brand new sculpt that isn't tainted by the twisted magics of chaos
http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Manticore

Beastmaster;
whilst many of the beasts they once commanded are gone it leaves an opening for new types of beast to be added. Might fit the Sourge Privateers better (captured beasts from far over the seas), but either way leaves a vector for new monsters and critters to be added 
http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Beastmaster

Beastmaster definitely for Scourge Privateers, maybe even something dual kit for Order Serpentis. 

I do like the Manticore and the new Chaos one is awesome. Not sure now that I'd want it in Daughters of Khaine, but maybe something similar sized to give Dracolines etc a run for their money. 

I'd like to see some Compendium stuff return. New plastic Reaper Bolt Throwers for the Scourge Privateers (seriously annoyed this wasn't in there in the first place), the Drakespawn Sorceress for Order Serpentis or Darkling Covens. Maybe an equivalent of Lokhir, a very high ranked and more powerful Leader for the Scourge Privateers. Even a chariot mounted one?

The Dreadlord on a Drakespawn for Order Serpentis for a lower point hero. I don't get why those models were dumped because they're just as new as the Knights and Corsair kits... The biggest confusion I have is killing the Dark Riders by making the awful Shadowblade faction, which is a kit that's going nowhere now the Daughters have updated! Could have given them to Scourge Privateers and the Assassins to Daughters. None of this will happen though, I'm sure. ?

I think that the Black Ark Corsairs have the most mileage in the new world, but I fear the Idoneth Deepkin are your Aelven salty sea fill for the Mortal Realms. 

Is it too predictable to say Tomb Kings and Chaos Dwarves?

On the Dogs of War front, I'd kind of like the Freeguilds to go in that direction. Many guilds seem to be effectively mercenary companies of one stripe or another, so it would be cool to see some more unusual mercs, and some cross alliance factions.

Am currently in the process of making a supplement that will detail (concisely) the full history of the world that was through to the destruction. Including all major events and some hero back stories.

All sections and events will have at least one battleplan to reinact the event or parts of it.

The whole thing is being written in AOS speak (Orruks,Aelfs that sort of thing) and may contain some warscrolls for old forgotten characters.like Ariel.

I'm writing it as a lasting memorial and as a way of people unfamiliar with the setting to appreciate it from the current point of view.

If people think it's a good idea in would love some help.

8 hours ago, EccentricCircle said:

Is it too predictable to say Tomb Kings and Chaos Dwarves?

Chaos Dwarves actually exist as Legion of Azgorh (if you mean "bring them back in plastic" then I agree).

27 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Reviving the old beloved  clan mors back with  a reborn Queek Headtaker, who kill slay dwarfthings and greenthings, like there would be no tomorrow. Would be something I’d really liked to see.

(it’ll probably never happen, but hey a rat can dream right ?)

I'll follow your point with another hero(s) from the world-that-was

When Moonclan get their release, it would be pretty cool if leading them was none other than Skarsnik! In the End Times, he left Karak Eight Peaks defeated and heartbroken after the death of his beloved Squig, Gobbla ? However, Josh Reynolds has admitted that in the final book, the writers forgot all about him. He was supposed to be mounted atop the shoulders of Golgag Maneater in the final battle for Middenheim. 

While I don't think it will happen, GW could make the case that Skarsnik returned to the Mortal Realms after the jail break from Nagash's soul dungeon during Malign Portents. He could get a new model with an even bigger pet Squig to cause some havoc. 

Either that, or bring in The Black Grot from the old days to rival Grombrindal

18 minutes ago, Gorks Pokin' Finger said:

I'll follow your point with another hero(s) from the world-that-was

When Moonclan get their release, it would be pretty cool if leading them was none other than Skarsnik! In the End Times, he left Karak Eight Peaks defeated and heartbroken after the death of his beloved Squig, Gobbla ? However, Josh Reynolds has admitted that in the final book, the writers forgot all about him. He was supposed to be mounted atop the shoulders of Golgag Maneater in the final battle for Middenheim. 

While I don't think it will happen, GW could make the case that Skarsnik returned to the Mortal Realms after the jail break from Nagash's soul dungeon during Malign Portents. He could get a new model with an even bigger pet Squig to cause some havoc. 

Either that, or bring in The Black Grot from the old days to rival Grombrindal

I heard Skarsnik went to the moon and he’s coming back...

Just now, Ravinsild said:

Aren’t they Forge Worlds “thing” and doesn’t Forge World never do Plastic not even once?

Yes, but what I meant was that GW should make some units for them. Full Forge World army is an expensive thing for begginers and some plastic units would help to make this army more popular, because honestly what's not to love in Chaos Dwarves?

1 minute ago, michu said:

Yes, but what I meant was that GW should make some units for them. Full Forge World army is an expensive thing for begginers and some plastic units would help to make this army more popular, because honestly what's not to love in Chaos Dwarves?

I think the Moonclan release will be telling to this point. GW made a plastic Great Unclean One despite Forgeworld having practically the same one already. So if GW releases plastic versions of the Squig Gobbla and/or Colossal Squig, then plastic Chaos Dwarves may not be out of the realm of reality.

To add more fuel to this speculation, FW is discontinuing a lot of their old Fantasy range to make room for AOS minis. It's possible that the old stuff is going away because GW is making similar versions of them in plastic

There are a dozen other suggestions that would make more sense, but my pick would be Sky Titans (http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Skytitans). The Sky Titans were the reclusive, advanced progenitors of Giants in the world that was. When the Ogres first migrated to the mountains of Mourn, they conquered the Titans. Supposedly, though, the last few survivors departed to the clouds and were never see again.

Well, surely the most logical place they would flee to would be Azyr, right?  Perhaps they remained reclusive but became more distrustful of the smaller races after their run-in with the Ogres. Over time, though, they become allies to Sigmar, what with their shared affinity for the sky and desire for peace. Their seething hatred for Ogors would also introduce a more concrete Order/Destruction antagonism than we've seen so far. 

Sky Titans never had any official art, but I'm imagining a massive blue-skinned humanoid, dressed more like a philosopher than a warrior. It could be a cool behemoth ally for order. 

Chaos dwarfs, I mean the original ones, the ones that never had a battletome, they had only rules in White Dwarf

http://hero-hammer.blogspot.com/2016/07/chaos-dwarf-warband.html

This is not my blog, but this is close to what they were, in fact half of them, because the second half of the army was hobgoblins hordes (on wolves, or assassins, etc...)

This was my favourite army back in the days (20= years ago) in WHFB. I can't imagine GW make them back in AoS: Dwarfs centaurs (their cavalry), artillery, tromblons, hobgob assassins, etc.... WOW

That's exactly Legion of Azgorh. They were just redesigned for FW release. Instead of Warriors and Blunderbusses you have now Ironsworn and Fireglaives.(but I agree that modern take on Blunderbusses would be great). Daemonsmiths even look similar to classic 5th ed Chaos Dwarfs. Problem is with hobgoblins, because they are greenskins (and greenskins are usually asociated with Destruction) and adding them to Chaos army could confuse some people.

The Legion of Azgorh has some great machines, but besides the Daemonsmiths they don't really have the same aesthetic of the older models. The new Centaurs are much more bestial, and look more like Dragon Ogres than the originals. The battleline troops are far more generic, with less to make them stand out from all the other dwarves on the market (the masks aren't a bad idea, but there is nothing to them. The over the top mesopotamian look is far more iconic). Its fine, because the Iron Daemon and Magma cannon are amazing. But I'd love a full range based on the older style.

I'd Keep the forge world range as it is, and just add a handful of plastic sets:
1) A really elaborate Plastic Iron Daemon, or some kind of mobile ziggurat shrine as the centerpiece, perhaps with another warmachine as an alternate build.

2) A Plastic Taurus with Lamasu as an alternate build. This would be the mid range hero set. That way it doesn't overshadow the Forgeworld Taurus. It could be designed like the magmadroth and cauldron, so that you get  couple of heroes on foot, to represent castellans, or daemonsmiths, depending on how you build it. equally they could do those as a couple of hero blister packs.

3) a cannon with three builds, so that you can do a rocket launcher, an earth shaker, or a small magma cannon. Similar to how a lot of the 40K artillery kits work.
4) Then you just need a multi part infantry kit which can be assembled as either Ironsworn or Fireglaives as the battleline, and

5)  a cavalry box with five bull centaurs. They can be regular cavalry size, since the forgeworld models will still be filling the niche of big beasties.

That way you could easily get 13 or 14 warscrolls out of five kits.

Of course if they wanted to go all out, I wouldn't object to full range of Daemons of Hashut...

1 hour ago, michu said:

Problem is with hobgoblins, because they are greenskins (and greenskins are usually asociated with Destruction) 

I don't see the problem at all!!! Hobgob are kinda degenerate supergobs, affected/addicted by chaos allegiance. Exactly like some human (that mean to be Order) that are alleged to chaos (everchosen, slave to darkness and so many mortals in chaos lines)

Add to this, that contrary to mortal/human that look like humans, hobgob have a very disign difference. No confusion possible. Add in their specificity, their behaviour....That's also what make them so fit in this chaos army. Loved them side by side to my main chaos dwarfs blocks.

Ok, that could be done, but there's little issue - GW would probably try to move away from babylonian theme. I believe that they should make non-Duardin units for LoA, but not necessarily Hobgoblins (at least not only). Chaos Dwarfs are slavers and some mixed regiments of different species (Orruks, Grots, Human, Elves) could be nice. Skaven lost their Skavenslaves (as units, in the lore they still use them) so maybe LoA could bring that kind of units back, what do you think?

Archived