Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chris Tomlin

AoS 2 - Wanderers Discussion

Recommended Posts

I would not use the 25mm models to stand in for models on 40mm and twice its height. I would use the glade guard as shadow warriors, assuming they can both be used within the same city. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, carnith said:

I would not use the 25mm models to stand in for models on 40mm and twice its height. I would use the glade guard as shadow warriors, assuming they can both be used within the same city. 

Well I would of course not suggest you leave them on the same base... scenic bases and maybe add some feathered wings (dark eldar scourge kit) to bring their height up and put them more in line with the kurnothi beast elves. Or just high scenic bases if that's what you prefer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guys, let's face it, if you want to play Wood elves, do as I do, play WFB V8 :D

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sad but true. 8th ed woodelves were the best. Now we are relegated to tiny peripheral army with a few choices leading to the same boring lists. We even lost our name.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you think the models in the coming season of Warhammer Underworlds indicate a revision for or a new direction for Wood Elves? Centaurs and satyr-like Elves?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Kierdale said:

Do you think the models in the coming season of Warhammer Underworlds indicate a revision for or a new direction for Wood Elves? Centaurs and satyr-like Elves?

I've said it before, but yes, totally.

If you look at the Wild Hunt models they're a blatant love letter to Wood Aelves. You got 80s Wardancer Hair, Wild Rider stylings on the Centaur, Eternal Guard style leather weaves everywhere, and Kurnoth himself is an obvious Not-Orion.

I've seen some people argue that they're going to be Sylvaneth somehow, but other than the ties between Alarielle and Kurnouth (Which was also an old Wood Elf thing, mind you) I don't see it. What I do think will probably happen eventually is we will get the Kurnothi/Wild Hunt armybook integrating the remaining Wanderers with the new Centaur and Satyr models, and then further down the line, maybe in 3rd edition we will get a combined Sylvaneth/Kurnothi tome that is basically bringing the Wood Aelves back together.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i seriously hope we get combined with kurnothi and not just thrown to the wayside. Could be they just make a new range entirely like the deepkin and leave the old elf stuff out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Alexispolux said:

i seriously hope we get combined with kurnothi and not just thrown to the wayside. Could be they just make a new range entirely like the deepkin and leave the old elf stuff out.

Possibly, but I think they will get combined. If there was no future planned for the Wanderers, there was no compelling reason to give them GHB rules for several years and keep the bulk of their range intact for Cities of Sigmar. It's not as if Cities with it's 50-60 updated warscrolls was so hurting for an extra 3-4 elf kits that they desperately needed to keep them on board while piles of stuff was getting tossed out the back door.

Honestly, I think everything that survived the Order purge has a future of some kind. Wanderers will join the Kurnothi, Dispossessed will get their own book, Phoenix Temple will join the Hysh Aelves, and some chunk of the Dark Aelf range will join Malerion.  Freeguild will I expect get a larger overhaul at some point and most of their range replaced.

The thing is, they can spin things out that way and still keep them in Cities. Some Wanderers join the Wild Hunt, some of them prefer to stay in the cities, Some Dispossessed join Grungi when his plans get rolling, some stay put, Perhaps the bulk of the Darkling Covens join Malerions forces when they emerge but some few remain loyal to the cities, or at least so they claim in order to act as spies...ect.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, madmac said:

Possibly, but I think they will get combined. If there was no future planned for the Wanderers, there was no compelling reason to give them GHB rules for several years and keep the bulk of their range intact for Cities of Sigmar. It's not as if Cities with it's 50-60 updated warscrolls was so hurting for an extra 3-4 elf kits that they desperately needed to keep them on board while piles of stuff was getting tossed out the back door.

Honestly, I think everything that survived the Order purge has a future of some kind. Wanderers will join the Kurnothi, Dispossessed will get their own book, Phoenix Temple will join the Hysh Aelves, and some chunk of the Dark Aelf range will join Malerion.  Freeguild will I expect get a larger overhaul at some point and most of their range replaced.

The thing is, they can spin things out that way and still keep them in Cities. Some Wanderers join the Wild Hunt, some of them prefer to stay in the cities, Some Dispossessed join Grungi when his plans get rolling, some stay put, Perhaps the bulk of the Darkling Covens join Malerions forces when they emerge but some few remain loyal to the cities, or at least so they claim in order to act as spies...ect.

 

I think you're too optimistic.

Cities of Sigmar is a vehicle to get people with large existing collections not to quit the hobby when they squat large parts of it. If you can still field some of your models in a viable force - or maybe just have to add one or two new units to get back to 2000pts - then it's less dispiriting than starting over from scratch. However I don't expect new models, or even much attention to be given to the rules going forward. It will be a slow fade out for 'generic' elves dwarves and men. Still, that's better than it could have been. 

So I don't expect updates or for them to get rolled into new factions. Kurnothi, if they exist, will be their own race, book and IP with no Wanderers crossover. In the same way that Disposessed and KO/Fyreslayers don't work together.

I understand the reasons behind this and I think it's probably the best compromise we could have hoped for.  I'll consider collecting another army - or I might just concentrate on my scenery collection and having narrative games. I wasn't planning on going to any tournaments anyway.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DionTheWanderer said:

I think you're too optimistic.

Cities of Sigmar is a vehicle to get people with large existing collections not to quit the hobby when they squat large parts of it. If you can still field some of your models in a viable force - or maybe just have to add one or two new units to get back to 2000pts - then it's less dispiriting than starting over from scratch. However I don't expect new models, or even much attention to be given to the rules going forward. It will be a slow fade out for 'generic' elves dwarves and men. Still, that's better than it could have been. 

So I don't expect updates or for them to get rolled into new factions. Kurnothi, if they exist, will be their own race, book and IP with no Wanderers crossover. In the same way that Disposessed and KO/Fyreslayers don't work together.

I understand the reasons behind this and I think it's probably the best compromise we could have hoped for.  I'll consider collecting another army - or I might just concentrate on my scenery collection and having narrative games. I wasn't planning on going to any tournaments anyway.

Obviously I disagree.

I'll say this though, Age of Sigmar in truth has very few brand new armies. Stormcast, Fyreslayers, Deepkin and KO for Order. Ironjawz for Destruction (Whoops, actually no, they kept Ard Boyz), and nothing for Death and Chaos so far.

Daughters of Khaine, Seraphon, Sylvaneth, all the Chaos factions, all the Death factions, (including NightHaunt), Bonespitterz, Gitmob Grots, Beastclaw Raiders, Gutbusters when they get their book...by far the vast majority of armies in this game are a mix of old and new models spun into something new...or something quite old, in many cases. Beasts of Chaos is just the old Beastmen army, for example.

GW is certainly interested in making new armies, but decent plastic kits are a sunk cost investment they're still very obviously interested in utilizing when possible.

I see Cities of Sigmar as a purely stop-gap book, like Legions of Nagash was just a way to salvage Death into something playable while everything got sorted out. But that hasn't stopped them from spinning Nighthaunt into their own thing, not to mention the coming Death army and probably eventually at least Soulblight.

Regarding Kurnothi specifically, I fully expect they've been in the pipeline for a long time, and that's why Wanderers have gotten more support than the other old Aelf factions. None of the High Aelf stuff ever got reboxed on rounds, or GHB support and oh look they're dead and gone. Wanderers and Darkling Covens (and Dispossessed) did get that kind of attention over the last few years and they're still around, minus a couple of old boxes and finecast models that people have literally been predicting would be axed for years now. Doing it all at once was sudden, but all of the lost models for Wanderers/Dispossessed were easy to see coming.

 

Edited by madmac
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, madmac said:

Obviously I disagree.

I'll say this though, Age of Sigmar in truth has very few brand new armies. Stormcast, Fyreslayers, Deepkin and KO for Order. Ironjawz for Destruction (Whoops, actually no, they kept Ard Boyz), and nothing for Death and Chaos so far.

Daughters of Khaine, Seraphon, Sylvaneth, all the Chaos factions, all the Death factions, (including NightHaunt), Bonespitterz, Gitmob Grots, Beastclaw Raiders, Gutbusters when they get their book...by far the vast majority of armies in this game are a mix of old and new models spun into something new...or something quite old, in many cases. Beasts of Chaos is just the old Beastmen army, for example.

GW is certainly interested in making new armies, but decent plastic kits are a sunk cost investment they're still very obviously interested in utilizing when possible.

I see Cities of Sigmar as a purely stop-gap book, like Legions of Nagash was just a way to salvage Death into something playable while everything got sorted out. But that hasn't stopped them from spinning Nighthaunt into their own thing, not to mention the coming Death army and probably eventually at least Soulblight.

Regarding Kurnothi specifically, I fully expect they've been in the pipeline for a long time, and that's why Wanderers have gotten more support than the other old Aelf factions. None of the High Aelf stuff ever got reboxed on rounds, or GHB support and oh look they're dead and gone. Wanderers and Darkling Covens (and Dispossessed) did get that kind of attention over the last few years and they're still around, minus a couple of old boxes and finecast models that people have literally been predicting would be axed for years now. Doing it all at once was sudden, but all of the lost models for Wanderers/Dispossessed were easy to see coming.

 

I really hope you’re right (and there’s no reason why you shouldn’t be). 

I’m just setting my expectations low so that new developments are likely to be a bonus not a disappointment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm thinking of proxying my woodelves as stormcast vanguard in warcry … I mean... best ranged team should be wood elves right.

I would probably just try some magnets to get them on the bigger bases. Not quite sure which unit should be which yet.

vanguard hunters --> glade guard

Hunter prime --> Glade guard champ with sword

Vanguard raptor with hurricane crossbows  -->

Hurricane raptor prime  -->

Long strike raptor --> waywatchers

Long strike prime --> waywatcher champion

Gryphhound  --> got a single old hunting cat from a beastmaster.. but might use the raptoryx from the warcry box.. those are cute. (Or I might buy gryphhounds.. they fit with the wood elves I think

Aetherwing --> probably need to get these, no real replacement IMHO (might use furies since I got those)

 

No real option for the hurricane guys yet; I guess most of you could use the sisters of the watch but I've not play wanderers a lot last years and if I did I used my waywatchers as brothers of the watch.

 

Suggestions?

 

 

Edited by Aezeal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My GG will be either Shadow Warriors or SotW (once I've worked out a good way to make the bows fiery).  I'll wait to see if we get a new Archer hero model of some sort and, if so, my heroes will become that.  Ironically, I used the Sorceress on foot model for my Spellweaver, so she shall be what she always was anyway.

Slightly sad about my Order Draconis and Dragon Noble as I don't think there will be a decent equivalent.  The noble would work as a mounted General if that still exists with an updated model.  Reavers could be pistoliers or outriders, providing they will still exist.

Any models I can't use will remain in my collection, as have other models over the years that have no other function than to be looked at and kept and to provide happy memories of battles won and lost (and a record of how my painting has improved :) ).

Other than that, I will excitedly await the new book, when I can find out what is possible for the future.  If I have to buy new kits, then that's also quite exciting - it is one the reasons I'm in this hobby after all.  GW doesn't have to persuade me to buy models, only which ones to buy - as I can't buy them all.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All I'm hoping is that the Kurnothi (A) get turned into a full army, and/or (B) get models that don't have animal legs. Everything from the waist-up on them is fantastic and I love it, but I've never been a fan of "animal legs" aesthetics on my fey elf people things.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, acr0ssth3p0nd said:

All I'm hoping is that the Kurnothi (A) get turned into a full army, and/or (B) get models that don't have animal legs. Everything from the waist-up on them is fantastic and I love it, but I've never been a fan of "animal legs" aesthetics on my fey elf people things.

Same here.. but for IP protection purposes bland elves are probably not going to happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Aezeal said:

Same here.. but for IP protection purposes bland elves are probably not going to happen.

See, I don't know if I buy that. One of the warband is literally just a centaur, which are inherently un-trademarkable, and the others are... elves with goat legs and horns? I mean, not exactly the most original design basis.

Edited by acr0ssth3p0nd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some gossips from 4Chan about New Cities of Sigmar book:

 

Some basics:

-7 sets of allegiance abilities including unique items and command trait for each city, they are:
-Hammerhal
-Tempest's Eye
-Greywater Fastness
-Living City
-The Phoenicium
-Excelsis
-Anvilguard

Spells and prayers ect are shared + some generic command abilities for the different races (more on those later)

-Greywater Fastness unlocks battleline steam tanks

-No new endless spells, released warhammer fantasy watchtower as scenery. All cities get access to Stormcast so you can use their endless spells I guess

-none of the recently axed minis returning. The Warhammer Quest priest is back with his tiny griffhound

-All remaining models have been lumped into the following 7 factions: Freeguild, Dispossessed, Wanderers, Darkling Covens, Scourge Corsairs and Phoenix Temple. Dwarfs and Empire get their war machines back and shadow warriors are now Phoenix Temple (wtf)

No new models but several new options from existing sprues. Option for a gunmaster hero in a steamtank and on foot and a Guildsmarshal on demigriff. Longbeards effectively gone and models renamed Clanshields, generic dwarf warrior option?? Not familiar with the elf stuff so couldn't check what's changed

-Cities of Sigmar are like Stormcast and can ally with any Order.

-Beautiful model section in the book that basically encourages you to convert your minis and has four pages of conversion guides. Some really nice dwarves from the living city using sylvaneth bits

Overall more excited for th e book than I previously was as a Dispossessedf*g, looking forward to getting some more time with it tomorrow. Let me know if you have any specific questions and I will try to answer them when I next get to see it

...

All units have the Cities of Sigmar keyword. Each mini faction gets its own special a llegiance rule like skaven clans. Freeguild get detachments and Dispossessed get auto pass battleshock on a 1-3
Forgot to add: all Dispossesse d infantry now has 2 wounds!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Rahatlin I'd certainly like to hear more about the aelven factions, particularly the Wanderers, but also the others. I'd like to know what new options there are for those factions, as well as what factions use which characters (if any have changed). Thanks in advance!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, overtninja said:

@Rahatlin I'd certainly like to hear more about the aelven factions, particularly the Wanderers, but also the others. I'd like to know what new options there are for those factions, as well as what factions use which characters (if any have changed). Thanks in advance!

Oh- this is not mine. I found it on my local forums. I asked about source link but no response yet. Ill post it once i have so you can ask your questions 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its a nice list, however something are suspect for me. Dwarves getting their artillery back? But hasnt all of those models not been squatted? 

Also greywater Steam tank battleline?

Some things sound really good on paper, and others just sound wish listing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, carnith said:

Its a nice list, however something are suspect for me. Dwarves getting their artillery back? But hasnt all of those models not been squatted? 

Also greywater Steam tank battleline?

Some things sound really good on paper, and others just sound wish listing.

having slogged through the cesspits of 4chan, i will make note that in an additional follow-up post, the original poster clarified that dwarf cannons are gone, but they do get to keep their gyrocopters, which are their artillery - and in turn the cogsmith buffs the irondrakes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That makes a bit more sense then. Still won't lie, the steamtank battleline is awfully suspect, but who knows. Maybe this means cities coming shortly and we can see where the future of wanderers live. Slightly disappointed that shadow warriors are in phoenix temples, as I know axed glade guard could've filled their spots nicely. Perhaps there is city where both can be taken.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, carnith said:

Its a nice list, however something are suspect for me. Dwarves getting their artillery back? But hasnt all of those models not been squatted? 

Also greywater Steam tank battleline?

Some things sound really good on paper, and others just sound wish listing.

To be fair, battleline Steam Tanks was teased by GW in the original CoS announcement.

And Dwarves getting their artillery in this case would just be the Gyrocoptors and the Cogsmith.  Quite likely that they would have axed ironweld arsenal and split the units back into Dispossessed/Freeguild where they always belonged.

There's some other details from the rumor that weren't posted but it's too troublesome to dig up. Overview of city benefits and such, overall I found it surprisingly plausible, but time will tell.

The minor collapsing of old subfactions is more or less what I was expecting, keeping just the ones that have a strong theme or most potential to be expanded later.

So Ironweld goes away and gets divided up between Dispossessed and Freeguild. Collegiate Arcana and what's left of Devoted also go back to Freeguild, giving us merged old Dwarf/Human factions again.

The one remaining Swifthawk unit gets folded in with Phoenix Temple, giving us a leftover High Aelf faction that will slot neatly into Hysh Aelves someday.

Wanderers keep their identity, which lets them get expanded/merged with the Kurnothi.

Dark Aelves they collapse Shadow Blades and Order Serpentis into the only two Dark Aelf factions that matter, Darkling Covens and Corsairs. Corsairs mostly just from a flavor standpoint, but it will be interesting to see if they snag anything new from blades/serpentis or if Covens gets everything.

Assuming it's true of course, but it's roughly what I would have done with subfactions, so I'm biased.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I must've missed the hints then. And yeah, it looks like the factions that remain are what have the capabilities to be expanded to fuller armies outside of cities. Somewhat funny that they split factions up to just put them back again later, but its what they should have done all along. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, carnith said:

Its a nice list, however something are suspect for me. Dwarves getting their artillery back? But hasnt all of those models not been squatted? 

Also greywater Steam tank battleline?

Some things sound really good on paper, and others just sound wish listing.

The Steamtank Battleline was confirmed by the Warhammer Community Post where they showed the Cities Book I think. But this part was confirmed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...