AoS 2 - Kharadron Overlords Discussion

Chris Tomlin

21 hours ago, Montmorencey66 said:

What are your opinions on this list? I think it would be rather fun but difficult to get objectives with but pretty decent with killing especially if you are lucky with the extra aether gold.

Allegiance: Kharadron Overlords
- Sky Port: Barak Urbaz
- Mortal Realm: Ghur
- Grand Strategy: Hold the Line
- Triumphs:

Leaders
Endrinmaster with Endrinharness (105)
- General
- Command Trait: Great Tinkerer
- Artefact: Cogmonculus
Endrinmaster with Endrinharness (105)*
Aether-Khemist (90)*

Battleline
1 x Grundstok Gunhauler (155)*
- Main Gun: Sky Cannon
- Main Gun: Sky Cannon
- Main Gun: Drill Cannon
1 x Grundstok Gunhauler (155)
- Main Gun: Drill Cannon
10 x Arkanaut Company (100)
- 1x Skypikes
- 1x Light Skyhooks
- 1x Aethermatic Volley Guns

Behemoths
Arkanaut Ironclad (490)
- Main Gun: Great Sky Cannon
- Great Endrinworks: Breath of Morgrim (Barak-Urbaz)
Arkanaut Ironclad (490)
- Main Gun: Great Sky Cannon
- Great Endrinworks: The Last Word

Core Battalions
*Warlord

Total: 2000 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 0 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 103
Drops: 10

My concern with this list is that you are able to deal ~29.5 damage on average before saves at 9-12" away.  However, if you look at a 3+ save, you are going to deal an average of only ~16 if you focus fire from everything on a single target - and only ~11 on a 3+ ignore rend -1.  Yes, you can all out attack, or spend some aether gold, or both, but even if you do both on an Ironclad, you are only buffing up to ~18.5 damage to a 3+ save, or ~13 to a 3+ ignore rend -1.

Basically, the problem is that this list is giving up its ability to hold objectives in exchange for killing power... but the killing power isn't there to kill the big monsters in the meta.  And I'm not even talking about the competitive monsters - on average, this list can't kill a Dreadlord on Black Dragon that used all out defense in a single shooting phase, despite putting 1600 points into shooting it.  Since Heroic Recovery happens every hero phase, you also can't really get away with just doing a bit of chip damage here and there either.

KO need to either eliminate key targets, or harrass while they hold objectives and do battle tactics.  This army doesn't have the firepower to eliminate key targets, and it also doesn't have the bodies to sit on objective/do battle tactics, which means it is going to struggle against both casual lists and competitive ones.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stratigo said:

KO don't have the firepower to eliminate key targets in the current rules at all really. KO has stepped off a cliff.

Yeah, think you’re right. I have had some success taking out generals on turn one with a Barak-Nar Alpha strike list with a navigator carrying a flare pistol in a Ironclad with an admiral, khemist and 15 thunderes. But it hasn’t won me any games, have had a lot of fun tho. I don’t see many other lists working. 

The full list is posted somewhere earlier in this forum by another player. It also includes an Endrin master with ballon, 2x10 Arkanauts, 6xEndrinriggers with volley guns and grapnel guns and a gunhauler. 

Hi,

This weekend after a while I have to take my dear dwarfs out of the box.

I am not a very expert admiral so I put my list and the idea that I have of the game.

I know this is in my head but the game may be a surprise...

- Sky Port: Barak Nar
Gotrek (435)
Admiral (125)
Navigator (95)
Khemist (90)
10 x Arkanaut (100)
10 x Arkanaut (100)
10 x Thunderers (270)
1 x Gunhauler (155)
3 x Endrinriggers (120)
1 x Ironclad (490)
Total: 1980 / 2000
Drops: 2?

Each Arkanaut unit stands on a target to defend it, one of them with a Khemist to protect them.
The Admiral in Ironclad full of Thunderers for everyone to benefit
Navigator 36 "from some flying threat haha
Gotrek threatens/kills (near any target?)
Endrinriggers waiting to repair the boat
Gunhauler stinging with his drill

I really like mhornar to protect the charge but it forces me to wear the Endrinmaster with Dirigible Suit because I don't have more than 20 Arkanaut

Looking to get some KO for either coalition or allies for my Cities army (and for a theoretically probably Duardin United tome in the future).  Is it better to have an Ironclad, or 3 Grundstok Gunhaulers for the points? 

Also can't decide between those Skywardens and Endrinriggers.  The healing from the Endrinriggers is good, but the MW tricks of the Skywardens seem very scenario specific.

47 minutes ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Looking to get some KO for either coalition or allies for my Cities army (and for a theoretically probably Duardin United tome in the future).  Is it better to have an Ironclad, or 3 Grundstok Gunhaulers for the points? 

Also can't decide between those Skywardens and Endrinriggers.  The healing from the Endrinriggers is good, but the MW tricks of the Skywardens seem very scenario specific.

For cities coalition, I would go an ironclad with a squad of 10 Thunderers.  If you stick them next to a hawk eyed general, and then have a +1 to hit buff (hurricanum, taureluon) then both the boat and riders a re +1 to hit and wound.  Gunhaulers meanwhile just don't do enough to be worth bringing, especially 3 as you then need 9 other units in your army due to the 1/4 rule.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Nothing for us in the balance update. We still have a lot of interactions that are not clear how they should be played/solved:

• When can we disembark?
  • Our skyvessels can shoot after using Fly High in melee range because we have Disengage (FAQ), but what happens when other units retreat using other teleports and don't have any ability like Disengage (wardens, riggers, units from other armies...)?
  • Do units in garrison count as being in the battlefield for abilities that "pick a unit on the battlefield" instead of range/LoS?
  • How can an ability that "remove units from the battlefield" be solved if the target unit is not in the battlefield (garrisons)? 
  • Units inside a skyvessel have +1save/-1 to be hit (no cover), what happens to this units if the skyvessel is on a terrain feature that gives cover?
  • Like 1

Hello fellow admirals!

A 750 point tournament will occur here in a couple of months and I was thinking about getting my KO for a ride. The problem is that I played 1 game in total with they after the 3rd drooped, so I'm a list rust in what should I prioritize in this restrictive point range. I put together a couple of list bellow using what I have, could some more experienced players give me some advice which one would be better?

List 1 - Gunhaulers + balloons

Spoiler
- Grand Strategy: Sever the Head

- Triumphs: Inspired

Leaders
Endrinmaster with Dirigible Suit (190)
- General
- Command Trait: Great Tinkerer
- Artefact: Staff of Ocular Optimisation

Battleline
3 x Endrinriggers (120)
- 1x Aethermatic Volley Guns
- 1x Drill Launcher
3 x Endrinriggers (120)
- 1x Drill Launcher

Units
1 x Grundstok Gunhauler (155)
- Main Gun: Drill Cannon
- Great Endrinworks: Zonbarcorp 'Debtsettler' Spar Torpedo

Total: 740 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 0 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 40
Drops: 1

List 2 - Frigate + thunderers show

Spoiler
- Sky Port: Barak Zilfin

Leaders
Aether-Khemist (90)*
- General
- Command Trait: A Nose for Gold

Battleline
10 x Arkanaut Company (100)*
- 1x Skypikes
- 1x Light Skyhooks
Arkanaut Frigate (250)*
- Main Gun: Heavy Sky Cannon
- Great Endrinworks: Malefic Skymines

Units
10 x Grundstok Thunderers (270)*
- Reinforced x 1

Core Battalions
*Battle Regiment

Total: 710 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 1 / 4
Wounds: 49
Drops: 1

List 3 - A mix of the two above

Spoiler
- Sky Port: Barak Zilfin

Leaders
Aether-Khemist (90)
- General
- Command Trait: Genius in the Making

Battleline
10 x Arkanaut Company (100)

Units
5 x Grundstok Thunderers (135)
- 2x Aetheric Fumigators
- 2x Decksweepers
- 2x Aethercannons
- 2x Grundstok Mortars
- Great Endrinworks: Coalbeard's Collapsible Compartments
6 x Endrinriggers (240)
- 2x Aethermatic Volley Guns
- 2x Drill Launcher
- Reinforced x 1

Total: 720 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 1 / 4
Wounds: 47
Drops: 2

• Like 1

I can't help because I'm playing more Strength vs Tougnhess games for a personal project than 3.0 (I should stop doing that, whatever...)

With 750 points armies, I suppose that you will have a lot more room to Fly High. Main issue is AoD is really annoying with low points games and you will need more volum of shoots or high rend to bypass that.

I would take List 2 just because I love thunderers and frigattes, no idea if it's good or bad but it's awesome XD

Btw, the next Fyreslayers vs Idoneth Battlebox has 10 Aurics/HGB, 10 Vulkites and 1 Flamekeeper:

AoS FOTDReveal Dec27 Content5

It seems that this box is awesome for Barak-Thryng lists. With one Flamekeeper Wannabe-smitter and 10 HGB, it's perfect to run our  Tunnel-squad of doom!

Edited by Beliman
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Beliman said:

It seems that it's a perfect box for Barak-Thryng. With one Flamekeeper Wannabe-smitter and 10 HGB, it's perfect to run our  Tunnel-squad of doom!

Thanks for this! I'll probably pick up the new box mainly for the deepkin, but was wondering how well the FS could fit with KO, rather than sell the FS half.

I’ve actually been bringing a Runesmiter on Magmadroth using AoD with a surprising amount of success for a few reasons.

It’s kind of a distraction carnofex: if they focus it, my guns are safer.

With access to All Out Attack the Magmadroth doesn’t feel terrible anymore and it’s done way more damage than I expected: having a good target for cp’s in the combat phase is nice. 
Finally and most importantly, it’s a priest with access to curse. I find curse interesting because it’s extre Good with volume of fire, volley guns, decksweepers, and arkanaughts in general get amazing value from it. The downside is it’s low range. I like the Magmadroth because it allows me to get close without getting deleted like a runelord could. I’m hoping the new hero is a decent alternative here.

With curse I’ve been adding 3-4 mortals to my Arkanaughts output which I feel is awesome. My opponents have been having a lot of trouble with this although the AoD nerf may change this.

TLDR: Not sure about the FS in the box, but a Magmadroth isn’t too bad.

Edit: I do remember a reinforced Hearthguard Berserker unit with the tunneling hero sounds good and that’s 5 hearthguard from the box. “Shrug”

Edited by Bjørn Gunnerson
  • Like 1

On 12/29/2021 at 4:25 PM, Bjørn Gunnerson said:

Edit: I do remember a reinforced Hearthguard Berserker unit with the tunneling hero sounds good and that’s 5 hearthguard from the box. “Shrug”

The battlebox has 10 hearthguard or aurics hearthguard (same kit, alternative builds). Btw, that "new" hero can be used as a runesmitter too (same cape)!

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/29/2022 at 12:31 AM, Dongilles said:

Would it be possible to print this with a resin printer?

I am looking to buy my first 3d printer

I think so, I have previously printed stuff designed for FDM by adding my own supports. I have also backed this project, and I am not alone, considering they are scrambling to add stretch goals, where the "Alchemical mining suit" might be a good way to make "Stormcast" standings or (when scaled up, with a bigger team in the cockpit) even a Gargant.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/18/2022 at 1:04 AM, dirkdragonslayer said:

That terrain is freaking amazing. I really hope it doesn't get shut down before all the STLs are released.

I don't think there is any IP problem. The "concept" of the army can't be registered, and GW doens't have any KOs building. Unless there is a 100% copy&paste designs (and I mean, 100%), it will not be a problem.