AoS 2 - Fyreslayers Discussion

Chris Tomlin

I got the opposite impression to you lot. I have a typical army from 2.0 - lots of HGB & 3 x 5 auric cos of the battalion, few vulkites. Every rule i've read recently makes me think they want us to go vulkite spam. Why do people believe they are unplayable? You can get a very large wound count army(easily 200+) that has some decent output with multiple flameseekers + other supports. Maybe they lose the 10" move first turn with charge aura due to subf change but we will see... Now i see an easy 6+ ward and 4+ rally. All these weak wards seem irrelevant to the typical HGB army. but it adds up on the 200+ wounds of vulkites. 32mm is fine with coherency if you zigzag out, and they are such cheap bodies that hit hard with a buff on charge.

Edited by Svalack
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Svalack said:

I got the opposite impression to you lot. I have a typical army from 2.0 - lots of HGB & 3 x 5 auric cos of the battalion, few vulkites. Every rule i've read recently makes me think they want us to go vulkite spam. Why do people believe they are unplayable? You can get a very large wound count army(easily 200+) that has some decent output with multiple flameseekers + other supports. Maybe they lose the 10" move first turn with charge aura due to subf change but we will see... Now i see an easy 6+ ward and 4+ rally. All these weak wards seem irrelevant to the typical HGB army. but it adds up on the 200+ wounds of vulkites. 32mm is fine with coherency if you zigzag out, and they are such cheap bodies that hit hard with a buff on charge.

All power to you, but I can't imagine a Vulkite army working out, they're not cheap, not fast, not dangerous, and not tanky. 160-170 points for 20 wounds is not actually that remarkable. Take a look at the humble Ardboy, who gets 20 wounds at a 4+ save and three attacks even when he doesn't charge, and a built in 6+ ward, and a built in 4+ rally...for 170 points.

Or Gutrippas, considered heavily overpriced by KB players at 180 points for 20 wounds with a conditional -1 to hit, 2" reach spears, and MWs on sixes that can be buffed in a variety of ways into much higher damage.

Edited by madmac
  • Like 2

Easy.

Base 33" and 1" range makes vulkites useless with new coherency.

A  unit of 10 wont make damage,and id you bring 20 or 30 you wont can attack with more than 14 or so.

Id vulkites would have 2" range they could be playable and we have many new combos with them.

But the sad truth is they are umplayables due to new coherency

4 minutes ago, Doko said:

Easy.

Base 33" and 1" range makes vulkites useless with new coherency.

A  unit of 10 wont make damage,and id you bring 20 or 30 you wont can attack with more than 14 or so.

Id vulkites would have 2" range they could be playable and we have many new combos with them.

But the sad truth is they are umplayables due to new coherency

14 with just +1 damage is ~18-19 against a 4+. Add a rune, aoa, runeson etc. and it goes up. They also fight on death. Multiple flamekeepers is a requirement for that sort of list and we don't know what they will be like soon too. Admittedly they will likely bounce off a stacked 2+ save due to no MW but your opponent still has a lot to clear off objectives.. there are lists that wont be able to handle all those wounds. I am just saying it might be the only option over the HGB that seem to be getting nerfed repeatedly and the heroes who lost auric bodyguard currently - need more info on the book first.

• Like 1

Yes,but in actual meta,0 rend wont kill anithing and picks damage is........almost zero.

I have played with vulkites in 3.0 and i wont play again with them.

Is too much hassle and time consuming and worst even not fun to play,i need waste many time min\maxing coherency in every charge to try attack with more models.

I hope you have fun with your vulkites,but i never gonna use them untill gw fix the coherency even if vulkites would cost 120 as must

19 minutes ago, Doko said:

Yes,but in actual meta,0 rend wont kill anithing and picks damage is........almost zero.

I have played with vulkites in 3.0 and i wont play again with them.

Is too much hassle and time consuming and worst even not fun to play,i need waste many time min\maxing coherency in every charge to try attack with more models.

I hope you have fun with your vulkites,but i never gonna use them untill gw fix the coherency even if vulkites would cost 120 as must

I always run blocks of HGB and havent touched vulkites outside of tts but since fury of the deep they seem to be receiving nerfs and FS were far from top of the meta in 3.0. So unless there is a big new ability or support piece for them we haven't seen yet, i am saying i don't see how that will be the way to go anymore.

Its still way too early to see, no real leaks or info

Edited by Svalack
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Svalack said:

I always run blocks of HGB and havent touched vulkites outside of tts but since fury of the deep they seem to be receiving nerfs and FS were far from top of the meta in 3.0. So unless there is a big new ability or support piece for them we haven't seen yet, i am saying i don't see how that will be the way to go anymore.

Its still way too early to see, no real leaks or info

There's always been vague hinting from playtesters that we'll keep bodyguard and fight first in some form. I don't think it really matters though, those things weren't exactly keeping Fyreslayers alive before all the nerfs, much less after.

I sympathize though, in that I can't really see right now either how GW is expecting this army to be played going forward.

What do you think if all the infantry troops have the Sworn Protectors?Maybe that could make Vulkites really useful?

Yes, Guttrippaz and Ardboyz are still better if we only look at warscrolls, but with all Buff-Bots within this army, maybe it can turn the humble naked-dwarfs in to something crazy.

• Like 1

Army-wide bodyguards would be big on improving the synergy between the durable infantry and their leaders both buffing the troops out and making death both cheap and a resource to use.

I’m guessing they’re holding off until the final day to unveil what both Fyreslayers and Deepkin will get for that to up the hype at the last minute.

I want to be positive, and I will hold judgment until we get the book fully revealed, but this isn't looking exciting, which IMO is worse than bad. A full magmadroth army is cool, but I still haven't invested enough to do an entire Zombie Dragon army like I wanted, so Magmadroths likely won't be soon either... Besides, I play DORFS for the DORFS! 

We shall see, I want to be optimistic, I want to enjoy if all. I will be patient and weigh in later. 

Hearthguard are the bodyguard/elites in the lore so I'm still holding out for them tanking wounds for foot heroes within 3" and it makes the wholly within 9" ward change make sense and still playable.

I also anticipate moving to vulkite meat-wall lists as again this is also true to the lore, not 25+ HGB and no vulkites of recent times.

I don't understand how the aurics are going to be playable though so we'll wait and see. Particularly keen to see what happens with the lodge rules.

Overall, I remain positive but I got the last call wrong before Fury of the Deep 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lord Krungharr said:

I predict the Priests will be tuned up and pray better with longer ranges for things, possibly being able to pray twice per turn somehow.  I think the prayers will be how the Auric HGs can do more damage, beyond the standard Curse.  Place your bets!

Bonus points from me if the runemaster becomes suddenly amazing, and my stubborn insistence to include him in every list finally pays off. 

I’d settle for a hero that can unbind on the warscroll though 

• Like 1

With all the army losing the +1 save of battlesmith and together the nerfs in points we gonna have so much worse effective wounds than 2.0......

Also a bodyguard rule for entire army wont do nothing when the hero that we wanted protect(battlesmith) now is useless and wont be played.

I really i have lost every hope for the book,every single unit so far have been nerfed,and now even our best buff hero have been done 100% useless.

A 6 ward is so much worse than a+1 save in any army,but in a army with a armywide ward of 6 one turn and where our best unit have a 4+++ isuseless and dont make sense.

Seems designers dont have idea about the army and only nerfed every single unit because they want less people play the faction so they can delete them soon.

Its stupid as vulkites are so bad,even if we ignore the base33" and range1" they have stats of 120 points units but cost 170, and some unit as hardboy that isnt used is so much better than vulkites that is a joke.

I have the fury new battlebox closed and i have built krondys,vargheist,black dragon and i am now building the zombie dragon........when i should have hype for a  new book and wanting build my fyreslayers.....but when i think anout the new tome i only get sad and enraged seeing as entire book are only nerfs to every unit.

Also a shame that the best rule that have been leaked and im looking toward is the rule that give runes to every dwarf unit,so i can replace the useless fyreslayers units with dispossesed or kharadrons units......its a new tome of a middle\botton tier army,its supposed to have huge buffs to do it competitive but so far we only have got nerf to every unit 

• Confused 1

@Doko Your last 10+ posts seems to be repeating the same (vulkites unplayable, everything is nerfed, magmadroths are bad, etc...). I think that you make your point very clear, but I still think that we need to read the whole battletome.

I'm sure that people will find new combos and ways to play.

• Like 5