AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

38 minutes ago, Lucur said:

Swords ARE better if you have access to buffs that concern the wound roll. Hammers are better if you have buffs to your hit roll. As Liberators have lay low the tyrant, inherently they sometimes come with a hit buff built in, so hammers is the standard choice (besides the cheap models from sc and old starter coming with only hammers and shields).

At the end of the day the damage output of a squad of Liberators is negligible and whether you do an average .2 or .22 damage per attack is no difference, so go with what you prefer the looks of. They're only there to take up space, tick battleline and hold out until damage can be directed at their adversary from elsewhere.

Just out of curiosity, what's the buff to wound we have in the SCE or order army ?

Astral Templars CA gives +1 wound for a unit against a hero.  Knights Excelsior and Tempest Lords give re-roll 1s to wound.  Which you probably aren't taking, and probably shouldn't be buffing generic battleline unit if you are.

I put the numbers into my spreadsheet today.  Hammers and swords are dead even on actual wounds assigned vs something with sv4+.  Rerolling 1s doesn't change that.  If I remember correctly, +1 to hit for a unit of 4 liberators creates a difference in average wounds that get through saves from 1.67 for sword/shield and 1.76 for hammers.  0.09 damage dealt.  That's not a difference that will ever matter on the tabletop.

With a -1 hit debuff, hammers do about 0.11 damage less.

It really couldn't matter much less.  Use what you think looks cooler.  I went with swords because I feel like the better hit stat will make them more consistent.  Can't make your wound rolls if you can't make your hit rolls.  In reality, swords and hammers are both going to do about 1 point of damage per round.  Sometimes, they'll do 2 damage.  And rarely, they might do more than that.  But that extra 0.09 will never show up because you can't roll 0.09.

Edited by crkhobbit
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Maturin said:

Just out of curiosity, what's the buff to wound we have in the SCE or order army ?

Empower and Celestial Blades, though i'm not sure Empower can be cast on Liberators (and too lazy to look it up :P ). Nor do i think it should, it's more efficient on units that actually deal the damage.

Looked it up, Empower can be cast on Redeemers, which Liberators are. There you go, swords are better now! :D

Edited by Lucur

I'd love some feedback on my list. My local scene is small with only about 20 players and only 10 who regularly play. Our meta is influenced a lot by the UK meta (I'm based in South Africa) and we have a decent mix of all forces represented. Skaven with aboms/stormfiends/9jezzails lists are doing well and tzeentch is very tough atm here. We play competitively although tournements here are few and far between.

So my list (played 7, won 5 - drawn 2)

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
Mortal Realm: Ghur

Leaders
Lord-Arcanum on Gryph-Charger (220)
- General
- Trait: Staunch Defender 
- Artefact: Gryph-feather Charm 
- Spell: Azyrite Halo
- Mount Trait: Savage Loyalty
Lord-Castellant (120)
Lord-Ordinator (140)

Battleline
10 x Sequitors (260)
- Stormsmite Mauls and Soulshields
- 5x Stormsmite Greatmaces
5 x Sequitors (130)
- 3x Stormsmite Greatmaces
5 x Sequitors (130)

Units
10 x Evocators (440)
- 1x Grandstaves
- Lore of Invigoration: Celestial Blades
5 x Evocators (220)
- 5x Grandstaves
- Lore of Invigoration: Speed of Lightning

War Machines
Celestar Ballista (110)
Celestar Ballista (110)
Celestar Ballista (110)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 124

My biggest issue is keeping the Arcanum alive so advice on items would be great. 

A unit of 10 evos wreck face! 

3 ballistae with ordinater is an amazing character sniping unit (and I just dont get the same results with anything less than 3 + ordinator)

And finally, i feel like i need a relictor and 5 more sequitors however I'm reluctant to drop 5 evos to acheive this.

Any other general feedback would be appreciated. 

I have tried other lists similar but take more characters and combat units instead of the ballistae deestrike bomb but none of those lists work as well. I find the above list compestes well in every phase of the game and in some phases we do amazing.

Thanks for reading!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Lucur said:

Empower and Celestial Blades, though i'm not sure Empower can be cast on Liberators (and too lazy to look it up :P ). Nor do i think it should, it's more efficient on units that actually deal the damage.

Looked it up, Empower can be cast on Redeemers, which Liberators are. There you go, swords are better now! :D

Only celestial blades gives +1 to wound, to any Stormcast unit. Empower gives failed wound rerolls to Sacrosanct or Redeemer.
Hammers are still better imo 😛

Edited by Maturin

I'm not saying anyone should intend to use Liberators to deal damage, i'm just saying the difference is negligible between hammers and blades. And, in strange circumstances, the blades could pull ahead (though hammers typically do better thanks to lltt). Also i'm a mean advocatus diaboli kind of person, for arguments' sake ;)

• Haha 1

@Fundre to protect your arcanum against tzeentch i recommend ignax scales which gives you a 4+ save against mortal wounds or the obsidian amulet from our battletome which gives you a 4+ chance to ignore the effects of all spells to your arcanum, so it also helps against debuffs at your LA.

Against a missilefocussed skaven army i would use the mirror shield (hope that this is the right translation) so his jezzails have -2 to hit against the carrier of the artefact. 

some general advices for your army: you have great damage and tankiness in meele fights but also a lack of mobility. i dont know exactly the lists of your skaven and tzeentch opponents but in my area the tzeentch players just play some ****** battleline whoose only task is to prevent my units killing his wizards. therefore i would recommend some heroes to buff the "speed" of your units or something which kill pressure that he has to be afraid maybe dracothian guard etc. 

personally i like to have some autobanns against tzeentch to due to the fact that it will be hard to bann anything if the opponent has +2 to cast

• Like 1

On 7/17/2019 at 10:49 PM, PJetski said:

In my experience it's not even worth casting since it can be negated by simply moving >6" away from the model before shooting, and there's a chance they can come back to harm you. If you want to stop shooting you should run stuff like Tempestors (12" -1 hit aura, harder to remove), Fulminators (+1 save against shooting), and Geminids (-1 hit debuff that sticks).

Also worth mentioning that hit debuffs do nothing against WLC and Thundertusks, don't do enough to stop Longstrikes since they hit on 2+ and get mortal wounds on unmodified 6, but they are great against Jezzails, Skyfires (kinda), Auric Hearthguard, Dracoths, Shootas, and Ballistae.  

Try positioning the vortex a little more strategically so once they get into range to shoot they are also within the vortex. The vortex also has a nice inbuilt racism against chaos, which tend to be most horde builds nowadays. But your right, geminids should be preferred. 

Edited by JaffaBones

5 hours ago, JaffaBones said:

Question came up recently: Can we spend the command point in Anvil to activate the Raptors, then teleport, then shoot? Does the shooting have to happen immediately? 

Its not start of hero phase, just

You can use this command ability in your hero phase

You have to teleport near an Anvils of the Heldenhammer hero (9")or general (18") though or you can't trigger it (which I had an opponent do once, phew!)

/edit - didn't notice the spend CP, teleport, activate CP hijinx here - nopes!

Edited by Turragor

Any thoughts on this list? Or ways to make it better? I got trounced by my friend who plays khorne with 4 bloodthirsters of incessant rage and the tyrants battalion. Against a blightkings list I did fairly decent, but had trouble with objectives.

Mortal Realm: Aqshy

Leaders
Lord-Arcanum (160)
- General
Lord-Exorcist (120)
Knight-Incantor (140)
Knight-Incantor (140)
Drakesworn Templar (460)
- Storm Lance
- Artefact: Ignax's Scales 
Lord-Castellant (120)

Battleline
10 x Sequitors (260)
- Tempest Blades and Soulshields
- 5x Stormsmite Greatmaces
5 x Sequitors (130)
5 x Sequitors (130)

Battalions
Grand Convocation (130)

Endless Spells / Terrain
Everblaze Comet (100)
Aethervoid Pendulum (50)
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (60)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Wounds: 83

17 hours ago, CommissarRotke said:

The rules she comes with are "officially" just a Prime, but you're exactly right and the cape she gets means it's a no-brainer proxy. Questor seems like more of a narrative pick than matched though.

I made mine into a Lord Veritant ;) Shes a cool model to play with.

BOOM! Stop writing lists... you, re welcome.

Leaders
Drakesworn Templar (460)
- General
- Arc Hammer
- Mount Trait: Storm-winged
Drakesworn Templar (460)
- Storm Lance
Drakesworn Templar (460)
- Storm Lance
Lord-Arcanum on Tauralon (320)
- Spell: Starfall

Battleline
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers

Wounds: 88

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • LOVE IT! 2

1 hour ago, Sir Mercury said:

BOOM! Stop writing lists... you, re welcome.

Leaders
Drakesworn Templar (460)
- General
- Arc Hammer
- Mount Trait: Storm-winged
Drakesworn Templar (460)
- Storm Lance
Drakesworn Templar (460)
- Storm Lance
Lord-Arcanum on Tauralon (320)
- Spell: Starfall

Battleline
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers

Wounds: 88

This is the kind of degenerate list building I want to cultivate!

Drakesworn Templar (460)
- General
- Arc Hammer
- Trait: Champion of the Realms
- Artefact: Gryph-feather Charm
Drakesworn Templar (460)
- Storm Lance
- Mount Trait: Storm-winged
Celestant-Prime (340)
Luminark of Hysh With White Battlemage (240)
- Allies
Spellweaver (100)
- Heartwood Staff
- Allies
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
Malevolent Maelstrom (10)
Quicksilver Swords (30)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 340 / 400
Wounds: 86

But why oh why would you tweak the perfection of 3 dragons? I've only 1 dragon to paint (though I'll have to fix my LCoSD so he can be magnetised as a Templar) and Im there.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stus67 said:

Any thoughts on this list? Or ways to make it better?

You need some cavalry or shooting in this list, am not sure how you'd want to switch it up to achieve that though. Htf is your friend taking 4 bloodthirster though? That matchup feels more like an issue of him cheesing

11 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

You need some cavalry or shooting in this list, am not sure how you'd want to switch it up to achieve that though. Htf is your friend taking 4 bloodthirster though? That matchup feels more like an issue of him cheesing

They're cheap enough to run 4 along with hounds as battleline. We're both going to a tournament in August so he's not putting on the brakes anytime soon. I have the models in my collection to run Anvilstrike, but I'm trying to avoid it because of how boring it is to play and how poorly I play it. I'm also trying to find a reason to dust off my Drakesworn.

Things I also own,

x3 Ballista + Ordinator

20+ Sequitors

only 10 Liberators

almost every hero in the line

I've thought about dropping the Grand Convocation and abandon the endless spells (even though I like playing them) and just running 3 ballista with my Stardrake, but I'm not sure how well that would run.

Looking at Decimators for a Warrior Brotherhood list.  Using my MS Paint skills, looks like if they pile up a horde unit with 25mm bases 3 rows deep, a single Decimator can get up to 13 attacks pretty reasonably.  For only 6 Decimators, that's about 35 damage after saves vs something with a 6+.  Then you've got ~4d3 from the Starsouls.

This list works really well in my head.  Can't wait to get a practice game or two in.

Can you ru

8 minutes ago, stus67 said:

I'm also trying to find a reason to dust off my Drakesworn.

Can you run it as a LConSD?  There was a list that got 8th at BrisVegas that I thought was cool.  He had LAoGC and more seqs instead of libs, but points changed so:
180 LA on foot
120 LCastellant
560 LC on SD
440 Seq x20
200 Libsx5x2
440 Evo x10
60 Cogs

Edited by crkhobbit