AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

TBH the Stardrake looks really fun now. Still not as killy as it should be, but still has Staunch/Castellant, now can take Amulet of Destiny for a 5+ Ward, gets both the Heroic Actions and Monstrous Rampages, holds Objectives better, etc

Probably still not good, but pretty fun nonetheless.

• Like 1

I'm not sure, usually when the Battletome is right around the corner the new units will be in the GHB. We didn't see points for the Knight-Judicator nor the Chariot, which we know about.

Comparing to Indomitus and the SM and Necron Books, it was 3-4 months. So not extremely long, but still enough time to play the points.

27 minutes ago, Requizen said:

I'm not sure, usually when the Battletome is right around the corner the new units will be in the GHB. We didn't see points for the Knight-Judicator nor the Chariot, which we know about.

Comparing to Indomitus and the SM and Necron Books, it was 3-4 months. So not extremely long, but still enough time to play the points.

It was in the middle of the pandemic. Their shedule was totally of. Not the case now. 

1 hour ago, Nizrah said:

and argument that GW want to sell new OP models is the most debunked argument ever... 

I really don't want to come off as rude, so please don't take it that way, but can you explain that a little bit more? I mean they did exactly that with LRL, OBR, heck, Primaris across the board? GW making new sculpts more powerful on the board to sell more of them... that is basically what their business model is built around. After a few months after everyone has bought the new hotness the FAQ or eratta something and they drop in power a bit, and then it is off to the races on something new. The only time I can recall something totally new coming out that was not amazing was the STD start collecting box with the rules for Chaos Knights. 
Again not trying to be a ******, but can you tell me how that is debunked? Honestly asking. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, samkrow76 said:

Primaris across the board

Just gonna cherry pick this because it's oft-claimed and utterly wrong. Primaris, for most of their history, have been among the worst garbage unit ranges in 40k. They started out massively overpriced and had few options (both in terms of loadout and range), and most of those options were outright bad. It took a long time before Primaris units became competitive staples, and even then we're talking the same select few are usually on top and many are relegated to the display shelf. Today they're much better balanced with lil marines but still largely fail to substitute oldmarines in armies. Of all the new models that arrived in the latest wave the only ones that see consistent use are Bladeguard, with a few others seeing occasional use and most seeing little to none.

If you go back and read comp results form tournaments through all of 9th you will see that Space Marines in general have not been S tier since other factions got books, and in particular that the best units show no favoritism to either breed of marine.

Case in point, the multi-melta attack bike has been the best space marine unit for almost a year and only just recently got a love-tap nerf and still appears in most podium SM lists, especially Dark Angels (who make up the vast majority of podium SM lists)

1 hour ago, samkrow76 said:

I really don't want to come off as rude, so please don't take it that way, but can you explain that a little bit more? I mean they did exactly that with LRL, OBR, heck, Primaris across the board? GW making new sculpts more powerful on the board to sell more of them... that is basically what their business model is built around. After a few months after everyone has bought the new hotness the FAQ or eratta something and they drop in power a bit, and then it is off to the races on something new. The only time I can recall something totally new coming out that was not amazing was the STD start collecting box with the rules for Chaos Knights. 
Again not trying to be a ******, but can you tell me how that is debunked? Honestly asking. 

Necron Monolith, the reanimator drone, dominion towers, ophydeon destroyers, flayed ones, psycomancer, are all bad units with new sculpts from necrons, in addition to several other meh ones.

In Soulblight, we have the wight king, the and the cursed city characters. And fell bats feel half baked.

Nighthaunt... just most of nighthaunt.

Castigators and palladors were never great.

Ogre Tyrant

Most things that are not an Eel in Idoneth.

Those are just off the top of my head.

Edited by AverageBoss
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, samkrow76 said:

The list of gw product that were totally teribble on the realese is much bigger than being op ones. Heck last of them, Kragnos is quite useless. Slow, no mortal wound protection, ez to block, very expensive. More examples: Vanguard chamber wave. Only vanguard raptors and birds were played. Entire CSM range get refreshed to be still useless. Theory that gw make op new models is tin foil hat theory. I can give you more examples if you want. 

• Like 3

The reason it seems like GW releases new stuff to be overpowered is purely spotlight fallacy. You see the powerful stuff constantly and so it sticks in your mind, and you forget just how many kits are released with trash rules and rarely if ever show up on a table in front of you.

1 hour ago, AverageBoss said:

Comet was an even 100 before. So up 10.

I don't understand why the Comet was nerfed because it's not a predatory spell

It seems like the changes were very formulaic - everything 40+ points got +5, everything 100+ points got +10, everything 160+ got +15, etc.

4 minutes ago, PJetski said:

It seems like the changes were very formulaic - everything 40+ points got +5, everything 100+ points got +10, everything 160+ got +15, etc.

Also the fact that you can't dispel and recast it in the same turn isba big nerf to the comet

Edited by Marcvs

25 minutes ago, PJetski said:

A similar approach as for 40k 9e then, mutatis mutandis. That algorithm was explained well at https://www.goonhammer.com/the-9th-edition-munitorum-field-manual-points-review/

3 hours ago, PJetski said:

Suggests to me no changes to the SCE ES warscrolls at all. Comet only got the default 10 point hike and the other two stay as is.

Doesnt matter though as we’ll all be taking only Cogs and Shackles.

Edited by PrimeElectrid

39 minutes ago, Scurvydog said:

Oh great, they made total commitment again, yay...

image.png.ca0305dd91baf394179c55f12b21cf41.png

This is very frustrating. 

Do rules designers believe once-per-battle Scions of the Storm is toxic enough to warrant outright ban, but teleportation abilities used by Seraphon and fly high rules from Kharadrons are not?

There is a reason why many people believe GW is deliberately penalising SCE inequitably.

Edited by Sagittarii Orientalis

First attempt at a list - GavBomb 3.0, 1980 points

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
 - Stormhost: Hammers of Sigmar

LEADERS
Gavriel Sureheart (130)

Knight-Vexillor (120)
- Pennant of the Stormbringer
- Artefact: God-forged Blade

Lord-Arcanum on Gryph-Charger (215)
- General
- Command Trait: We Cannot Fail
- Spell: Celestial Blades
- Mount Trait: Wind Runner

Lord-Castellant (130)

UNITS
5 x Evocators (225)
- 5 x Grandstaves
- Lore of Invigoration: Speed of Lightning

5 x Evocators (225)
- 5 x Grandstaves
- Lore of Invigoration: Speed of Lightning

15 x Judicators (450)
- Skybolt Bows
- 3 x Shockbolt Bows

5 x Liberators (95)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1 x Grandhammers

15 x Sequitors (390)
- Stormsmite Mauls and Soulshields
- 7 x Stormsmite Greatmaces

There are two Battle Regiments for a two-drop deployment. Arcanum, Castellant and his Hound, Liberators and Sequitors start on the ground. Gavriel, Vexillor, Evocators and Judicators are in the Sky. 

Arcanum and Castellant buff Sequitors. Gavriel, Evocators and Vexillor drop 9" from the enemy units. Vexillor moves the Sequitors near Gavriel. Judicators come down in a good firing position and take out screens.

Sequitors, Evocators, Vexillor and Gavriel charge (92% chance of success). Profit?

Comments/criticism?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Souleater said:

Forgive my question but what do you mean by a lack of SCE inequitability?

Are they getting poorer rules to make up for their wider range of models?

Battleplan banning reserves has been one of the staple matched play missions for years since 2018. Since then I have seen no other battleplans literally nullifying one of the key strengths of a faction.

Another latest example which could be considered as "inequitableness" would be Broken Realm: Morathi.

In that supplement, SCE was the only faction that had to "choose" between pre-existing allegiance abilities and the new allegiance abilities provided in the book.

Other factions such as the Deepkin had their cake and ate it too.

Edited by Sagittarii Orientalis
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

So no one starting to theory craft some lists? 
the first list I will try out:

Hammers of Sigmar:

Yndresta (300)

Lord Imparatant (160)

Gavriel Sureheart (130)

15x Vindictors (420)

1x 5 Vindictors (140)

1x 10 Judicators (300)

2x 3 Anhilators (380)

1x 3 Praetors (155)

Total: 1985 points

• Like 2