AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Feels like you have to buy a new stormcast army every 2 years if you want to be competitive. I’m stormcast player since the beginning but now I decided to give up my stormcast and start a soulblight army. I’m very happy with my decision. I think even in the new battletome they won’t upgrade any warscroll, only make the new models better so they can sell a lot...(till they get a new errata) Goodbye my stormcast, I will miss you.

i don’t want to spread toxity, only want to share my opinion.

Edited by Erdemo86
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Erdemo86 said:

Feels like you have to buy a new stormcast army every 2 years if you want to be competitive. I’m stormcast player since the beginning but now I decided to give up my stormcast and start a soulblight army. I’m very happy with my decision. I think even in the new battletome they won’t upgrade any warscroll, only make the new models better so they can sell a lot...(till they get a new errata) Goodbye my stormcast, I will miss you.

i don’t want to spread toxity, only want to share my opinion.

Too bad that you are totally wrong xD. From Vanguard chamber wave only longstrike see play and birds. From Sacrosant only foot evocators and incators. Rest is good old warrior chamber xD. 

Edit and balistas sometimes. The point is that SCE are best when you mix old with new. 

Edited by Nizrah

26 minutes ago, Nizrah said:

Too bad that you are totally wrong xD. From Vanguard chamber wave only longstrike see play and birds. From Sacrosant only foot evocators and incators. Rest is good old warrior chamber xD. 

Edit and balistas sometimes. The point is that SCE are best when you mix old with new. 

Ok,

1. after vanguard was the only competitive list a lot of Longstrikes with aetherwings. 

2. Before it was a lot of Paladins in a Hammerstrike Force or Skyborne Slayers

3. after Sacrosant it was a big unit of 20 Sequitor (Till points got erratat)and Foot Evocators (till errata)with Gavriel Bomb.

maybe 4 Ballistas and Ordinator too (till he got changed)

Im looking at it from a competitive tournament view, so tell me I’m wrong? After each update you have to buy and paint a lot of models to be competitive again.

to 1: Buy/paint 9-12 longstrikes, knight azyros

to 2: Buy/paint 10 paladins, lord celestant

to 3: Buy/paint 20 Sequitors,10 Evocators, Gavriel, 10 Evocators, 4 ballistas and Ordinator

On other army’s you get a new hero or maybe a new unit but not that extreme. I have now over 5000 points of stormcast laying around.And guess what, we are getting new models with 2+ save? New battleline option that will be better than the rest, because else no one would buy it.

and if someone likes it it’s ok, but I realized for myself that this is not the right army for me. I want to build my army and play with it, not change it every 2 years.

Edited by Erdemo86
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Nizrah said:

And now to your post, you say I’m totally wrong but you say that After I have build a competitive list of 2000 points. I had to buy/paint

- 9-12 longstrike+birds after vanguard

- 10 Evocators and 1-2 Incantors, 4 ballistas and a Ordinator after sacrosant

so what stays from your warrior chamber? 3x5 liberators?

Edited by Erdemo86
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

I am really struggling: I painted my SCE (the few that are finished) as a mix of Tempest Lords/Celestial Vindicators + Anvils of the Heldenhammer. (Mostly due to me having too many armies with black armour, so I decided to go turquoise with skull emblems)

yet the white Armour looks so fabulous! I might paint the new SCE Vindicators in white with a Tuquiose shield 🤔

This post , when I first saw it, is the reason I want to try. Looks so awesome 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Erdemo86 said:

And now to your post, you say I’m totally wrong but you say that After I have build a competitive list of 2000 points. I had to buy/paint

- 9-12 longstrike+birds after vanguard

- 10 Evocators and 1-2 Incantors, 4 ballistas and a Ordinator after sacrosant

so what stays from your warrior chamber? 3x5 liberators?

You can play with Startcast that use mostly older units. What do you excepted from posterboys that stormcast are? That they wont receive new models? 

• Confused 2

No. Of course new models are fine. But why again new standard foot troops? We have plenty. Why replace existing models already?

instead new models could be something that doesn’t exist. 
hoe about cool dracoth chariots?

how about a second Kriegsmaschine like the balista?

how about a monster type of warscroll?

some dragon thing. 

that’s the point! And not new models of poster boys. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, rosa said:

No. Of course new models are fine. But why again new standard foot troops? We have plenty. Why replace existing models already?

instead new models could be something that doesn’t exist. 
hoe about cool dracoth chariots?

how about a second Kriegsmaschine like the balista?

how about a monster type of warscroll?

some dragon thing. 

that’s the point! And not new models of poster boys. 

simply because its a starter set and you have to have some sort of standard foot troops in the starter set 

• Like 1

GW should really include a disclaimer for new SCE players (and marines) which says “this is the poster army and we will regularly release new models and invalidate old ones.”

The first page of the core rulebook should also have one, something that states “Your army will need to be updated every few years to keep up with editions, and probably more frequently when strong books drop.”

Can’t believe it’s 2021 and people *still* complain about having to refresh their army every few years. Are you people not aware of the past thirty years of GW history?

• Haha 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

2 minutes ago, PrimeElectrid said:

GW should really include a disclaimer for new SCE players (and marines) which says “this is the poster army and we will regularly release new models and invalidate old ones.”

The first page of the core rulebook should also have one, something that states “Your army will need to be updated every few years to keep up with editions, and probably more frequently when strong books drop.”

Can’t believe it’s 2021 and people *still* complain about having to refresh their army every few years. Are you people not aware of the past thirty years of GW history?

How is your old models invalidated? XD 

They still have rules. And this rules will be updated propably. People cried that sequitors will replace liberators and liberators will be useless. That happened? No. Liberators are still more common and seqitors. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Nizrah said:

You can play with Startcast that use mostly older units. What do you excepted from posterboys that stormcast are? That they wont receive new models? 

I only said that i realised that stormcast are not the army for me.I like their style, their look and their Story. But i didn’t realised before that playing stormcast is like building a new army every 2 years. But now I After know it i will go a different way.

Edited by Erdemo86

Oldcast will still be playable for a long time but they will slowly phase them out while focusing on the Newcast

It's really the best possible situation... we get updated rules for our current collection and better models moving forward

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

I like the new sculpts well enough but i have some issues with them, less to do with the quality of the sculpts (they're great" and more to do with them looking so different in an army who's aesthetic is blocks of almost identical soldiers (or at least that the aesthetic i like from it)

Im probably not going to rush into purchasing the new kits so i can see if they do continue to update the rules for older sculpts or just push them aside in favour of the new sculpts. I've no intention of collecting an army i feel the need to continue upgrading to keep it relevant, of course ill continue to use hem in casual games where it doesn't matter but im wondering if i need to look into a different army to fulfill playing competitive.

I am the only one disappointed with yesterday preview? I expected a new chamber that will add something new to SCE like extermis which added heavy cavalry, vanguard chamber added more mobile component and sacrosanct added wizards. But no, we got the same what already exists but with diffrent look. Event worse becasue it makes our current models outdated.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

This thread before Warhammer fest: GW HATE STORMCAST, NO REALES FOR 3 YEARS, GIVE ME ANYTHING, I WOULD LOVE SOME SPEARS

After warhammer fest: I HATE THIS ARMY, WHY GW FORCE US TO BUYING NEW MODELS, NEW MODELS ARE UGLY, I'M SELLING THIS ARMY 

wtf guys 

• Like 7
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Nizrah said:

This thread before Warhammer fest: GW HATE STORMCAST, NO REALES FOR 3 YEARS, GIVE ME ANYTHING, I WOULD LOVE SOME SPEARS

After warhammer fest: I HATE THIS ARMY, WHY GW FORCE US TO BUYING NEW MODELS, NEW MODELS ARE UGLY, I'M SELLING THIS ARMY 

wtf guys 

There is no pleasing some people.

I also still fail to see how this is in any way replacing or invalidating what we already have. After all they use spears!

2 hours ago, Nizrah said:

wtf guys 

Sorry but no one that I know and I didn’t read about it wanted specifically new Models. We wanted a Rework of Stormcast, a update of the old models, allegiance and so on. And not to buy new models!!! Stormcast have the biggest range of models and possibility’s but all are bad atm. So throwing out new models is the right way to handle it, you think?

And i can bet with you that the new models will be way better than all old ones. And there will be no rework.

Edited by Erdemo86
  • Thanks 3

GW fanboy and Stormcast player from day one here. Against my better judgement I’m going to wade into the newcast vs old cast discussion.

The fluff component about the armor is the give away, new guys reforge because of thunder strike armor old guys don’t thanks to Be’lakor. Sounds like Sigmar is retiring the oldcast from a fluff perspective to me. Feel free to disagree, I won’t argue. If that doesn’t happen I’ll happily keep on keeping on.  

It’s just this the point I get off the stormcast treadmill. I have essentially 3 different stormcast armies with warrior chamber, vanguard, and sacrosanct. Not even counting my favorite the extremis chamber. So 4. I really don’t need a 5th. Count me in the group that would prefer new weird stuff instead of buying a fourth iteration of battleline troops or newer heavier better paladins. I’m not even salty about it, folks that didn’t like stormcast before will surely jump in wallet first to take my place. I’m going full ham on soulblight and will continue painting my oldcast backlog for funsies. So really I’m the winner here and GW still gets a piece of my kids college fund lol

Edited by Mikosan
  • Like 2

also just to defuse some of the tension... we saw literally 2 units + another centerpiece model. We need to see the rest of the box before assuming these are replacements OR a new chamber.

let's check what we know:

• the Celestant is a new rank, under the Prime but above Lord-Celestant
  • Annihilator is a new Paladin type
  • Vindictors are another new battleline
  • Stormcast are trying to set up outposts (sounds like they need Vanguard chamber)
  • Excelsis will be sieged by Kragnos/Gordrakk (sounds like they need Warrior and Extremis chamber)
  • Chaos will take a front-seat in 3.0 (sounds like they need Sacrosanct)
  • your army will not be unusable
  • we ARE getting a new battletome

thunderstrike armor could be costly to take; i.e Annihils 250 for 5, Vindictors 160 for 5. putting both well above existing units,

the starter box could include these 2 new units, maybe a Stormcast hero, then the rest of Order are new COS models. it could be all new chamber including these 2 units.

we don't know how the Vindictors scale to existing kits, other than they are slimmer and the pauldrons aren't obnoxious. but it does look like the height is the same. it'd be a surprise if you couldn't kitbash Vindictors to everyone else if you want chonky spearmen.

GW's marketing relies on preying on our fears about both your existing models and new models/rules. Lets not attack each other based on preferences, we have a lot of waiting to do before all this dooming is even worth doing.

55 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

also just to defuse some of the tension... we saw literally 2 units + another centerpiece model. We need to see the rest of the box before assuming these are replacements OR a new chamber.

let's check what we know:

• the Celestant is a new rank, under the Prime but above Lord-Celestant
  • Annihilator is a new Paladin type
  • Vindictors are another new battleline
  • Stormcast are trying to set up outposts (sounds like they need Vanguard chamber)
  • Excelsis will be sieged by Kragnos/Gordrakk (sounds like they need Warrior and Extremis chamber)
  • Chaos will take a front-seat in 3.0 (sounds like they need Sacrosanct)
  • your army will not be unusable
  • we ARE getting a new battletome

thunderstrike armor could be costly to take; i.e Annihils 250 for 5, Vindictors 160 for 5. putting both well above existing units,

the starter box could include these 2 new units, maybe a Stormcast hero, then the rest of Order are new COS models. it could be all new chamber including these 2 units.

we don't know how the Vindictors scale to existing kits, other than they are slimmer and the pauldrons aren't obnoxious. but it does look like the height is the same. it'd be a surprise if you couldn't kitbash Vindictors to everyone else if you want chonky spearmen.

GW's marketing relies on preying on our fears about both your existing models and new models/rules. Lets not attack each other based on preferences, we have a lot of waiting to do before all this dooming is even worth doing.

thank'you that helped a bit!

I bought 3k+ of warrior chamber models, since is my favorite chamber,
assembled and almost all painted,
played very little because I started in Dec'19/January 2020.

Even the possibility to see my "old" and little used models replaced make me "otherwise happy".

Edited by baiardo

8 minutes ago, baiardo said:

thank'you that helped a bit!

I bought 3k+ of warrior chamber models, since is my favorite chamber,
assembled and almost all painted,
played very little because I started in Dec'19/January 2020.

Even the possibility to see my "old" and little used models replaced make me "otherwise happy".

and i completely get that, I've been holding off on buying stuff both because I don't know when I'd play them and I don't have the spending money currently. But I also wouldn't say "well you shouldn't have bought all that!" because... that's what GW wants you to do and tries to get you to do; it's part of the reason matched play is built around 2k. SCE are worse with it because there's so many kits we can substitute to play different lists.

if GW looks at this forum or other feedback at all, they know Stormcast need a book that actually helps the older kits that they continue to sell. I wouldn't say I trust GW, but the talk of deconstructing the core rules to put them back together better than ever for 3.0 tells me that the designers at least are thinking about the players. And that tells me our book should get the rework it's needed as well. Some of the general rules rumors (like battalions) would help shortcomings in the 2.0 book too

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Erdemo86 said:

Sorry but no one that I know and I didn’t read about it wanted specifically new Models. We wanted a Rework of Stormcast, a update of the old models, allegiance and so on. And not to buy new models!!!

Liberator-equivalent with spears coming doesn't mean Liberators with hammers are going anywhere. You NEED to by none of this. You also have no idea whether older units are getting reworked or not.

Edited by Kaladreon

A day later, but here are my thoughts:

Firstly - I've said it a few times already, but I'm always up for more, new, different Stormcast models. I love them.

I waffled back and forth on the new armor design for a bit. I never minded the old look, but after seeing things like the Slaanesh Myrmidesh, I was hoping we might get some slightly sleeker designs. Now that I've had a chance to get a decent look at some images with better 3d angles, I'm in. They look cool.

I'm thrilled about the Vindictors. I've been wishing for proper Spearcast since I first started collecting models, and my patience has finally been rewarded. I'm also not surprised that they ended up being battleline. It's what GW has usually done before. I'm wondering how the rules are going to handle the different chambers, and whether they're going to double down on the differences between them, or interconnect them more so that we have a wider array of viable options?

With only the one pose for the Annihilator Paladin to go on, I can't give as much feedback, but I still think I like them. Somebody earlier in the thread said that they didn't look terribly maneuverable, and I would agree, but I imagine that is intentional. A 2+ save means they need to be pretty up-armored. I'm hoping this will also herald some positive changes for our regular Paladins.

Yndrasta is amazing. I really hope we get other angel Stormcast. Prosecutors were an early favorite of mine. I suspect that characters like her and the Celestant-Prime are going to become the Stormcast equivalent to 40k's Primarchs, and I'm all about it. I would be especially happy if she, like the Celestant-Prime, isn't tied to any specific Stormhost, but that feels a bit like wishful thinking on my part.

I'm excited to see what other models are going to be released for SCE, and I'm looking forward to the new battletome. I'm more optimistic than some that our older chambers will get some love and are not being pushed to the chopping block.

Overall, I'm very happy, and eagerly await the slow dribble of information and reveals until 3rd Edition is finally upon us!

Edited by OkayestDM
  • Like 1