AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

59 minutes ago, PJetski said:

Just a guess

To be fair, I was not initially happy with what I saw, The Vindictors made me sick to my stomach(I hate them, I like my dudes to be buff)  and stricken with worry. I felt my stress levels jump.  I had thoughts of, 'what does this mean'  'I don't like that slim down look' 'are GW deleting my army'  

But then I realized this happens every time it come to GW changing anything about  stormcast with me, the Sacrosanct Chamber made me feel the same way when it was released.

I then realized I don't know what this means and I will have to wait and see.   I do like the new angel lady however.

Now that I have calmed down and think about it, would GW really delete all of their  relatively new kits? Just for that slim down look?   replace all the  Strike Chambers(Warrior/Harbinger/Exemplar), Extremis Chamber, Vanguard Chamber and the Sacrosanct Chamber? All of the warhammer underworlds stuff? THE STATUE IN FRONT OF THE GW BUILDING!?

Maybe, but I don't think so. All the units have new/different names and look unique and distinct, Like a new chamber would.  When Sigmar's backed into a corner, it was Dracothian that came to his aid. That's how we got the Extremis Chambers, so I thought maybe this is a new chamber or a new position for stormcast. They are called the thunderstrike host in the article. 

I could be very wrong, who knows.

Edited by xking

9 minutes ago, xking said:

To be fair, I was not initially happy with what I saw, The Vindictors made me sick to my stomach(I hate them, I like my dudes to be buff)  and stricken with worry. I felt my stress levels jump.  I had thoughts of, 'what does this mean'  'I don't like that slim down look' 'are GW deleting my army'  

But then I realized this happens every time it come to GW changing anything about  stormcast with me, the Sacrosanct Chamber made me feel the same way when it was released.

I then realized I don't know what this means and I will have to wait and see.   I do like the new angel lady however.

Now that I have calmed down and think about it, would GW really delete all of their  relatively new kits? Just for that slim down look?   replace all the  Strike Chambers(Warrior/Harbinger/Exemplar), Extremis Chamber, Vanguard Chamber and the Sacrosanct Chamber? 

Maybe, but I don't think so. All the units have new/different names and look unique and distinct, Like a new chamber would.  When Sigmar's backed into a corner, it was Dracothian that to his aid. That's how we got the Extremis Chambers, so I thought maybe this is a new chamber or a new position for stormcast. They are called the thunderstrike host in the article. 

I could be very wrong, who knows.

Sure is a new chamber, however gardus have the same armor of a celestant and he's a new model, if they made a balanced thing, we'll see update for warrior chamber alongside the new one.

Edited by baiardo

6 minutes ago, baiardo said:

Sure is a new chamber, however gardus have the same armor of a celestant and he's a new model, if they made a balanced thing, we'll see update for warrior chamber alongside the new one.

I don't think we will get an up-date to warrior chamber.  I think they will just focus on new stuff.

Edited by xking

4 minutes ago, xking said:

I don't think we will get an up-date to warrior chamber.  I think they will just focus on new stuff.

yeah.

IMHO at this point it would make more sense to divide the faction into chapters, I would have more hope of playing the models I have.

31 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

idk i know it's easy to be pessimistic when new stuff is revealed but this means we're getting a whole new book, I think we'll see some nice changes in it

I just hate the new look a lot. 

After looking at them a bunch I realize the spear guys look good (I still hate big chongus) and my disdain was mostly with more units for a faction that has more models than some grand alliances it feels like. That said realistically they look how I wish stormcast would've looked right from the start.

I still think the female sculpts just look better. The domed chestplate just looks like real historical armor (as opposed to boob plate or the weird sculpted muscle armor I hate on the males) and the proportions make them look more "normal human sized" so with a proper head swap I could see them as just being normal knights which I like. If I could get kits that were JUST the female sculpt I might be tempted to convert some up. 

It's also weirdly difficult to find regular knight helmets in 32mm because it seems any "knight helmet" made in that scale is meant for space marines so if anyone has a good source that isn't too sci-fi I'd love to see it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CommissarRotke said:

if the scale change opens up the ability to use even more bitz for conversions, would that help?

Not for me, and if this does mean they are getting rid of all of OR not supporting the older units. I will quit this game. I got into age of Sigmar because of first edition stormcast eternals, the warrior chamber and the extremist chamber are the stuff I like the most.

To change stormcast in order to appease people who hate them.  Is not a positive to me.

All I will say is I like the angel, but that is about it.

• Like 1

Stormcast have featured in every single edition starter set. Each time the newer models make the older ones slightly worse. Then again this happens when a new battletome gets released, GW push models they want to push it’s that simple.

So no these new models won’t invalidated your older models completely. However, yes it will make them slightly worse because GW want to push this new range.

For me personally I have always disliked stormcast. I’ve never liked how bulky they are. This new range really appeals to me and just might make me start a stormcast army. This is exactly what GW wants. Like any business they want to keep existing customers while creating new ones. So yeah roll on Age of Sigmar 3 and new stormcast!!

Edited by EchoHavoc
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, schwabbele said:

I think will crank out the airbrush and try a knights excelsior scheme. Always wanted to try white armor and I think I can live with the gold edge highlights.  

I am really struggling: I painted my SCE (the few that are finished) as a mix of Tempest Lords/Celestial Vindicators + Anvils of the Heldenhammer. (Mostly due to me having too many armies with black armour, so I decided to go turquoise with skull emblems)

yet the white Armour looks so fabulous! I might paint the new SCE Vindicators in white with a Tuquiose shield 🤔

5 hours ago, The Red King said:

After looking at them a bunch I realize the spear guys look good (I still hate big chongus) and my disdain was mostly with more units for a faction that has more models than some grand alliances it feels like. That said realistically they look how I wish stormcast would've looked right from the start.

I still think the female sculpts just look better. The domed chestplate just looks like real historical armor (as opposed to boob plate or the weird sculpted muscle armor I hate on the males) and the proportions make them look more "normal human sized" so with a proper head swap I could see them as just being normal knights which I like. If I could get kits that were JUST the female sculpt I might be tempted to convert some up. 

It's also weirdly difficult to find regular knight helmets in 32mm because it seems any "knight helmet" made in that scale is meant for space marines so if anyone has a good source that isn't too sci-fi I'd love to see it.

Yeah having spent A LOT of time looking for alternative SCE heads over the years, I have concluded that you have to make a compromise. Unfortunately most non GW Knight ranges are in 28mm scale and so well out of proportion. 

Starting with GW, you can file down the horns and symbols of some Chaos Warrior heads. I also think that the sisters of battle helmets would work well.

After that, Puppets War has some Knight heads that are clearly intended for Space Marines but might not turn out too sci fi. I’m going to get these and their Spartan heads so will let you know.

image.jpeg.cc9421df45a6571090d95fd0e562558f.jpeg

I’ve used 3 and 5 from the Maxmini steam knights and they are ok. 

image.jpeg.3158fe012af7219a95314ccf88f03ed4.jpeg

They do this batch of 10 identical heads but IIRC there are some sci fi gubbins on the back (gas tank maybe?). I’ll check next time I’m poking around my bits box. 

image.jpeg.a43a7ea1a254b2cd3b879bc1b585ea96.jpeg

For my own Stormcast, I used the space marine heads from Betrayal at Calth (as on the left). They are a little bulkier than I like, especially fitting around those massive shoulders, but just about work in the warrior units. Probably too out of proportion for the new slender vindictors though. 

image.jpeg.20365361b3925b1db94c94bf7bb83ac4.jpeg

Forge World World Eaters might work if you file down the ear pods. I think someone has done this - Rhellion on twitter? 

image.jpeg.c69a1399e2d173edc538cd5971c6c402.jpeg

image.jpeg.36c9909cafdbbc5c106683eb9b4fe84b.jpeg

Edited by PrimeElectrid

The more I look at Vindictors, the more I don't like them. The skin tight armor does not appeal to me. And somehow they look more plane then liberators. They also don't look at as intimidating, they look like they would lose in a melee fight against blood Warriors or blight kings. They remind me of a light armor Skirmish unit.

As for the annihilator, something about it makes it look less maneuverable and flexible then any other Paladin equivalent.

• Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, PrimeElectrid said:

Yeah having spent A LOT of time looking for alternative SCE heads over the years, I have concluded that you have to make a compromise. Unfortunately most non GW Knight ranges are in 28mm scale and so well out of proportion. 

Starting with GW, you can file down the horns and symbols of some Chaos Warrior heads. I also think that the sisters of battle helmets would work well.

After that, Puppets War has some Knight heads that are clearly intended for Space Marines but might not turn out too sci fi. I’m going to get these and their Spartan heads so will let you know.

Yeah, my experience with heads from Puppets War is very positive. As long as you stay away from those with a sci-fi vibe, they have the perfect size for SCE. I used them in all my headswaps (which is most of my SCE by now) Some examples for the curious (and yes, I paint every unit in a different scheme 🤷‍♂️ )

Spoiler

IMG_20210307_200311.jpg.feefea3970acd7c6bb11127bd0d09eb1.jpgIMG_20210115_101026.jpg.a29072676756c9584804e2398d5c3ba3.jpgIMG_20201120_190847922.jpg.b64e33ae18a9c1c8960503eae88b456b.jpgIMG_20210413_153522.jpg.04c2cbc1629c81bf601e38d18b0ac19b.jpgIMG_20201127_171446252.jpg.abf1a00825dd4d24be0544fd5753f863.jpg

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Marcvs said:

Yeah, my experience with heads from Puppets War is very positive. As long as you stay away from those with a sci-fi vibe, they have the perfect size for SCE. I used them in all my headswaps (which is most of my SCE by now) Some examples for the curious (and yes, I paint every unit in a different scheme 🤷‍♂️ )

Reveal hidden contents

IMG_20210307_200311.jpg.feefea3970acd7c6bb11127bd0d09eb1.jpgIMG_20210115_101026.jpg.a29072676756c9584804e2398d5c3ba3.jpgIMG_20201120_190847922.jpg.b64e33ae18a9c1c8960503eae88b456b.jpgIMG_20210413_153522.jpg.04c2cbc1629c81bf601e38d18b0ac19b.jpgIMG_20201127_171446252.jpg.abf1a00825dd4d24be0544fd5753f863.jpg

Which did you use in those Libs? Can’t quite make it out

2 hours ago, xking said:

The more I look at Vindictors, the more I don't like them. The skin tight armor does not appeal to me. And somehow they look more plane then liberators. They also don't look at as intimidating, they look like they would lose in a melee fight against blood Warriors or blight kings. They remind me of a light armor Skirmish unit.

As for the annihilator, something about it makes it look less maneuverable and flexible then any other Paladin equivalent.

Someone made a joke about asking gw: make warscrolls respect the models aesthetic, they have responded with slim body armor.😭

Edited by baiardo
  • Confused 1

I think the scale is not as off with the new models as people think thanks to the photos. Look at some of the other WarCom blog pictures - the angle it's taken at makes a big difference.

As others have said, Gardus was just released and he is a perfect fit for what has come before.

New and different models come out all the time (for some factions more than others) - the sky is falling reactions seem a bit overblown imho.

EDIT: pic attached below. Angle clearer. Shoulder pads are smoother but otherwise he looks to me just as bulky as previous Stormcast. Certainly the new paladins are!

Screenshot_20210509-124943_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by MythicKhan
  • Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1