AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Speculation time.

Spoiler

In the most recent Broken Realms fiction a Lord Exorcist rescues some Stormcast Eternal souls that have been tormented by a bunch of Nighthaunts (namely the new Krulghast Cruciator). He is surprised the Nighthaunts aren't angered as the souls escape with his Evocator Prime companion:

The spectral torturers advance. Zaicon sees his own helm reflected in the sheen of their weapons. There is a grotesque rattling sound. The Lord-Exorcist realises that it must be the wraiths’ cruel laughter, and feels a momentary pang of unease – why are they not enraged by the spirits that have been ripped from their clutches?

I think these tortured souls will have repercussions when they meet the Anvil of Apotheosis. But what!? My speculation is that they will be re-forged, at the least, as lightning ghiests, perhaps with some Shyishan corruption added, and will cause havoc in the Chamber of the Broken World. Perhaps The Anvil will be damaged affecting the success of re-forging, or perhaps it will be destroyed altogether... This could coincide with the disruption Be'Lakor has caused with his 'arcane cloud', perhaps Be'Lakor and Olynder have planned something...

My wildest speculation is that these corrupt souls may be linked to the next chamber release in some form. I think the next chamber to open is the Ruination Chamber, which will make use of ruined/corrupted souls that have been covertly sequestered away by Sigmar as a weapon ever since The Anvil was first created!

Pure speculation, but fun. 

Edited by Yeknomious
  • Like 1

So at this point I’m pretty sure we will have something to say in matched play.

Because a box with only new models means only that to me. I don’t accept any other explanations.😂

Edited by baiardo

On 5/1/2021 at 5:32 AM, Yeknomious said:

Speculation time.

Reveal hidden contents

In the most recent Broken Realms fiction a Lord Exorcist rescues some Stormcast Eternal souls that have been tormented by a bunch of Nighthaunts (namely the new Krulghast Cruciator). He is surprised the Nighthaunts aren't angered as the souls escape with his Evocator Prime companion:

I think these tortured souls will have repercussions when they meet the Anvil of Apotheosis. But what!? My speculation is that they will be re-forged, at the least, as lightning ghiests, perhaps with some Shyishan corruption added, and will cause havoc in the Chamber of the Broken World. Perhaps The Anvil will be damaged affecting the success of re-forging, or perhaps it will be destroyed altogether... This could coincide with the disruption Be'Lakor has caused with his 'arcane cloud', perhaps Be'Lakor and Olynder have planned something...

My wildest speculation is that these corrupt souls may be linked to the next chamber release in some form. I think the next chamber to open is the Ruination Chamber, which will make use of ruined/corrupted souls that have been covertly sequestered away by Sigmar as a weapon ever since The Anvil was first created!

Pure speculation, but fun. 

Your speculation got my brain juices flowing so I did some quick sketches of what I would like to see come from this.

The two ideas I liked

The souls are corrupted and when reforged release deadly nighthaunt gheists built on the back of mighty stormcast warriors, in game you would have a truly elite unit for nighthaunt made up of stormcast ghosts, liberators and retributors with a Lord celestant as unit leader. 

Or

The souls are broken and can't be properly reforged so they have to combine 2 together to build massive stormcast golems. 

IMG_0800.JPG

IMG_0803.JPG

IMG_0802.JPG

• Haha 6
  • LOVE IT! 1

I used to think when people said GW hates stormcast eternals, people were just exaggerating. 

But With the release of Broken Realms: Be'lakor, I'm starting to believe this is true. Sigmar's stormcast Eternal project has basically become a complete and utter failure. 

I loved stormcast eternals from the very beginning, edition 0. I remember when I first saw images of age of Sigmar and I was amazed. I loved the models, I love the lore, I loved Vandus, I loved Gardus, I loved Thostos, I loved them all.  And to see the dumpster fire that they have been reduced into, feels me with deep sadness.

Sigmar who chooses the best mortals he can find to be made into stormcast, that means Sigmar has a very tiny recruitment pool to pull from( vastly more difficult than the recruitment of Space Marines, as they can just pull as many potential recruits from the general population has they want to, but Sigmar has extremely high standards for his recruitment). But the reforging flaw made that all completely irrelevant, just destroyed it on a conceptual level. Why even pick Heroes if they're just going to be reduced to just a Mindless husk. Or worse, they slowly change into Psychopaths.

I remember what the celestial vindicators used to be like, they were those who died swearing vengeance against chaos, they had saw all their families and friends slaughtered and their homes destroyed. What we got out of that were stormcast that were Avengers, they turn their blades against those who victimized the powerless. I remember the type of person Thostos Bladestorm was, an Exemplar celestial vindicator. It was he who found ghal maraz, and now he is dead. And the celestial vindicators? They have degenerated into a stormhost that butchers the powerless.  It stinks of GW interjecting Space Marine Into Stormcast

Then GW jumped through a bunch of Hoops to create as many ways as possible to permanently kill stormcast, it was a rare occurrence at first and really hard to do. But with the release of a broken Realms morathi, the slaves to Darkness can just make chaos shrines that can just suck in stormcast Souls. 

But that ain't got nothing on Broken Realms: Be'lakor,  This book was the final nail in the coffin for stormcast eternals as a concept. GW said f*ck it, stormcast are cut off from the realm of heavens. This has effectively made them extinct. And set Sigmar up to fail.

You might ask, what do you mean this set him up to fail. Look at what he has to fight against. Chaos controls 95 to 99 percent of the Mortal realms outside of azyr, they effectively have endless chaos mortal armies, and that's not including the endless daemon armies that can't die by the way. 

Then there's death, Nighthaunt are basically endless and most of the time seem to be completely impervious to any form of harm or impediment. They can fly, they can go straight through walls and most of the time mundane weapons and guns do nothing to them, including stormcast weapons. Read of the Soul Wars novel, stormcast fall over dead constantly in that novel to the point where I had to ask were they even useful to the city, multiple sacrosanct Chambers were there are by the way.

Then there are the bonereapers, some people have said they are deaths equivalent to stormcast. I beg to differ, they are astronomically better than stormcast in every conceivable way. These things are nearly  invulnerable with the ability too easily replicate. All they need is some bones and any old handful of Souls. And this is not counting all of the other endless amount of dead things in the Mortal realms.

In hindsight, for something called age of Sigmar. Sigmar has had very little or no success at accomplishing anything he set out to do.  His stormcast eternal project that he spent centuries and so much effort doing is a complete failure. He barely  took any of the other mortal Realms back and that's been completely compromised, and turned into a detriment. 

You might ask, what about the realmgate wars? He managed to reclaim  a bunch of Realmgates and build the cities of Sigmar around them. And I would ask, what has it actually accomplished for him? 

They are constantly under attack, several of them have been destroyed and  both chaos and death Cults flourish in them.  All they have accomplished is empowering tzeentch and potentially slaanesh. Many of the Cities were even constructed by Valius Maliti, effectively guaranteeing that they are doomed to chaos. I don't know how Sigmar does not know that his most exalted architect Valius Maliti is the changeling. 

What has Sigmar actually accomplished in all this time? The Elven gods imprisoned slaanesh, Nagash  Unleashed the necroquake and forever altered Magic on a cosmic scale, morathi succeeded in ascending to godhood. What did Sigmar do in the grand scheme of things? He built some cities, he has not even been successful in liberating even part of the great regions of the Mortal realms. Verdia, Capilaria and the underworld of Stygxx are all overwhelmingly still under the Dominion of death or chaos.

He didn't even end Soul Wars, teclis was the one that did that. GW has Witten Sigmar terribly when it comes to him accomplishing anything. 

Edited by xking
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

It will be interesting to see how the broken realms stories conclude. TBH I've got a feeling they're just stacking all the odds the stormcast and Sigmar so as to make them seem more heroic when they eventually win, maybe not, maybe they really are making a change and diminishing their narrative power but my best instincts tell me this is the superman problem. Superman is too strong in his universe so many of his stories have to have him going up against innumerable odds because he would otherwise just win instantly and you won't get a story, feel like that might be what's happening here. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Mattrulesok said:

It will be interesting to see how the broken realms stories conclude. TBH I've got a feeling they're just stacking all the odds the stormcast and Sigmar so as to make them seem more heroic when they eventually win, maybe not, maybe they really are making a change and diminishing their narrative power but my best instincts tell me this is the superman problem. Superman is too strong in his universe so many of his stories have to have him going up against innumerable odds because he would otherwise just win instantly and you won't get a story, feel like that might be what's happening here. 

This is not a Superman problem, this is incompetence on part of the writers. Who can't even remember the lore that they write. 

1 hour ago, Mattrulesok said:

The last I remember was the Stormcast being beaten on every front :D
They don't seem overly powerful (story-wise - they're just too few) and rules-wise ^^

6 hours ago, xking said:

But With the release of Broken Realms: Be'lakor, I'm starting to believe this is true. Sigmar's stormcast Eternal project has basically become a complete and utter failure. 

continuing this but also a small rant of my own:

it always felt like the Reforging Flaw was a major plot point of AOS / Stormcast themselves and I figured there'd be some low points before the Flaw is fixed and/or only preventable for new forgings. I still have to get reading the BR lore though, so maybe I'm not feeling the full weight of this disappointment... I am *hoping* BR is more of a low point than a permanent change in how Stormcast function. I have to begrudgingly admit catching the souls before they can get back to Azyr is extremely clever, even if it does muck up our faction fantasy.

There is a section in Soul Wars too where I'm told Nagash 'corrupts' a Stormcast through torture. There's also something about Ikit Klaw "figuring out" the Reforging process after experimenting on Hamilcar which was also very ???? and IMO further proof Skaven basically exist as a plot-gotcha because their magitek can do whatever is needed at the time. If there's any plot thread that scares me the most it is this "Stormcast will get corrupted/fallen" one where we end up with Fantasy Loyalists And Traitors But With Girls Now.

Personally I am waiting for the annual GW survey to include some of my Stormcast thoughts (mainly keeping them humanized and friendly with mortals), waiting for the Black Library contest to try and submit my own Stormcast story, and trying to keep up with Soulbound's lore inclusions.

Yes GW hates Stormcast which is why they have an enormous range of models and feature centrally in the entire range and narrative.

Some of you folks are so dramatic! Stormcast are the heroes. They are supposed to be brought to their knees so that they can show their true heroism. That is the entire story arc and theme. They die forever it service.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, baiardo said:

Knights Excelsior are represented against kragnos, could that mean anything?also that stormhost colors are a good combination, like it.

Yea, i painted liberator in this scheme today! LOVE IT. I hope it doesnt mean that they will be destroyed by Kragnos xD

• Haha 2

On 5/3/2021 at 3:04 PM, jhamslam said:

Were about to get Indomitus Crusader Stormcast soon, so yeah the idea will be theyre being pushed back on every front and need to fight back in a heroic way against the darkness

What do you mean and where did you get this info from?

16 minutes ago, xking said:

What do you mean and where did you get this info from?

idk but this "terminator stormcast" rumor seems to be somewhat validated and i'm just so confused.. we'll have to wait and see. if they give me a proper spear unit for Stormcast I'll accept even a 'Bretonnian' aesthetic for the new units

• LOVE IT! 1