AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

5 minutes ago, ShadowSwordmaster said:

What is everyone thoughts on the Evocators overall? I plan to get some both on foot and on dracolines. 

To me they look crazy good. Their basic attacks deal the damage to horde units and their special ability means they can do tons of moral wounds to things like Treemen or other big monsters. A unit of 10 - half with grandstaves - deals 20 4+ rolls to mortal wound plus their normal attacks. Plus they cast and dispel.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ShadowSwordmaster said:

What is everyone thoughts on the Evocators overall? I plan to get some both on foot and on dracolines. 

Evocators: all-round better Retributors but cheaper, faster, more versatile.

Evocators on Dracoline: a middle step between Palladors and Dracothian Guard. Not a no-brainer choice but good nonetheless.

• Like 2

I've come up with what I believe to be a very competitive Hammers of Sigmar list.  I'll be testing it as the models become available.

Stormhost: Hammers of Sigmar

Lord Arcanum on Dracoline (General, Refracting Lens) (240)

Knight Heraldor (HoS mandatory artifact) (100)

Vandus Hammerhand (280)

Gavriel Sureheart (100)

Evocators on Dracolines x 3 (300)

Evocators x 5 (200)

Sequitors x 10 (240)

Sequitors x 10 (240)

Sequitors x 5 (120)

Battalion: Cleansing phalanx (120)

Total: 1940

The idea is to put Gavriel, the LAoD, Vandus and the Evos on Dracolines in the sky and keep the other 5 units as objective holders/board position controllers.  

You'll have 3 command points in your first hero phase.  This will allow you to use Gavriel's CA twice and Vandus' once.  Along with the Dracoline specific mount trait your whole little group will be putting out enough high value attacks to kill virtually anything.  And with such a high charge, unless your opponent has left zero gaps in a bubble wrap wall you're very likely too get into range of something juicy.  

The strike force isn't super resilient, but it's highly mobile and can obliterate whatever it touches.    The knight heraldor is in the list to allow the Dracolines to retreat and charge if they get mired in combat or to just let them trigger their mounts d3 damage.  

Vandus may not be entirely necessary, but I've always liked him.  Might make more sense to just take a LAoT, or just more sequitors.  There's plenty of room to play around with unit sizes.  

• Like 1

Next week's Stormcast preorders have been announced: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/07/08/coming-next-week-heroes-old-and-new/

Interesting tidbit - you can make a Knight-Incantor from the Evocator box (I'd been wondering about this, as there's a Knight-Incantor model in the Battletome that I'd never seen before). 

Bit awkward, though, as presumably that then leaves you with four Evocators - though at least two of those can go towards getting your starter set Evocators up to full size... 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, robinlvalentine said:

Next week's Stormcast preorders have been announced: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/07/08/coming-next-week-heroes-old-and-new/

Interesting tidbit - you can make a Knight-Incantor from the Evocator box (I'd been wondering about this, as there's a Knight-Incantor model in the Battletome that I'd never seen before). 

Bit awkward, though, as presumably that then leaves you with four Evocators - though at least two of those can go towards getting your starter set Evocators up to full size... 

Yeah it'll be great for those of with 2 starter sets worth of Evocators. Use 4 to bring both squads up to 5 models and make a Knight Incantor. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ledha said:

the command trait MUST be take by the general instead of the normal one.

the first item MUST be given to your first hero who receive a magical item

Can you point me to where it says that in a book? I would really like to see where that's written down.

3 minutes ago, ledha said:

in each of the stormhost page

Hmm, OK, I think I get it. The "extra abilities" on p. 117 under "Stormhosts" are the "Abilities" and "Command Abilities" in column one of the boxes at the bottom of pp. 126-33.  The powers in column two of those boxes are things that have mandatory replacement.

Sorry, still figuring out which words mean what. Thanks for your help.

3 minutes ago, Requete said:

Hmm, OK, I think I get it. The "extra abilities" on p. 117 under "Stormhosts" are the "Abilities" and "Command Abilities" in column one of the boxes at the bottom of pp. 126-33.  The powers in column two of those boxes are things that have mandatory replacement.

Sorry, still figuring out which words mean what. Thanks for your help.

knight excelsior.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ledha said:

knight excelsior.jpg

Basically the costs of taking the amazing command abilities and 'free' abilities for these factions is getting stuck with some really mediocre command traits and some truly awful relics. Some of the relics are so bad, there's a non-zero chance that you would gain more out of having one less rule to remember than you would with their bonuses.

The big exception is Tempest Lords. Everything in there is pretty solid.

5 hours ago, ShadowSwordmaster said:

Both Evocators are great, the only problem you're going to run into is the same problem paladins and Dracoths have always had which are: Paladins(and foot evocators) Drop, kill the ****** out of something...and then sort awkwardly shuffle toward something else with their very limited movement. Dracoths(and Dracoline Evos) suffer from having a really high amount of points tied to a very small amount of wounds, which means that incidental mortal wound damage(mortis engine explosion, endless spell hits, d3 damage to the nearest unit, 1 time use d3 mortal wounds, those kind of things) is REALLY punishing for them.

Here's a question for you guys...Evocators as a unit are wizards and as such should be able to interact with Chronomantic Cogs

Slow Down Time: The wizard manipulating the cogs can cast 1 additional spell in this hero phase. In addition, re-roll failed save rolls for that wizard.

which should give them option of choosing re-roll saves and gain one additional spell. Now the warscroll for Evocators seem to make it pretty clear that they can only attempt to cast their Empower spell but with interacting with the cogs can they cast Empower twice? The Evocators warscroll says:

"...any number of units of EVOCATORS can attempt to cast Empower in the same hero phase.

So the spell itself is not unique. What are you guys take on this?

48 minutes ago, Nox said:

Here's a question for you guys...Evocators as a unit are wizards and as such should be able to interact with Chronomantic Cogs

which should give them option of choosing re-roll saves and gain one additional spell. Now the warscroll for Evocators seem to make it pretty clear that they can only attempt to cast their Empower spell but with interacting with the cogs can they cast Empower twice? The Evocators warscroll says:

So the spell itself is not unique. What are you guys take on this?

The rule gives explicit permission to violate the rule  of one across multiple units but does not give permission to violate the rule of within one unit. At least that's my take.

9 minutes ago, Bellfree said:

The rule gives explicit permission to violate the rule  of one across multiple units but does not give permission to violate the rule of within one unit. At least that's my take.

That's also my take, thanks!

38 minutes ago, Erdemo86 said:

The evocators can have a staff, is it worth it?

yes! just did run some tests on the druchii combat calc. the blade and szepter is only better against 2+ saves, equal against 3+, and twohandstaff get alot better against worse saves. And better range!

• Like 1

Looking at the pictures in the new battletome, it seems obvious that Lord Arcanum on Dracoline is an optional variant for Evocators on CD. I don't like this approach because you end up with 2 unusable Dracolines and cant help it by purchasing another kit. Fortunately, we have Astreia Solbright available and I doubt anyone is going to object against using her as a generic variant. What do you think?

2 hours ago, boombyeyeah said:

yes! just did run some tests on the druchii combat calc. the blade and szepter is only better against 2+ saves, equal against 3+, and twohandstaff get alot better against worse saves. And better range!

But they look way worse (imho).

The staff heads shown (maybe there are nicer alternatives in the sprue) look way too chunky, clunky and baroque. On the other hand, the one handed scepter heads are sleek and look like actually dangerous, practical weapons.

That, and you can model lightning between the swords and scepters ?

Got two more questions.

Celestant-Prime, while being a unique character, can benefit from the stormhost bonuses, correct?

Does the Shock and Awe trigger on Aquilor's teleporting shenanigans? If so, that seems like a direct buff to Palladors.

47 minutes ago, Trayanee said:

Looking at the pictures in the new battletome, it seems obvious that Lord Arcanum on Dracoline is an optional variant for Evocators on CD. I don't like this approach because you end up with 2 unusable Dracolines and cant help it by purchasing another kit. Fortunately, we have Astreia Solbright available and I doubt anyone is going to object against using her as a generic variant. What do you think?

What makes you think you couldn’t use him as generic?  I’m genuinely curious because he looks pretty standard, just like when I have multiple primes and combine units and just let my opponent know who the prime is.  I personally love this approach I mean most people complain about cost of the hobby. Seems like a nice way to give us more options in one kit usable multiple ways. 

Obviously if you only want the LA then soulbright is available.   I also see no problem swapping places with them if you want to use the kit variant as your LA for a game. 

Edited by Tiriom