AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

4 hours ago, Maturin said:

So I won this morning with my slayers. It's a very powerful warscroll, but placement is paramount!
Anyway guys, would you have any suggestions for a duo tournament ? Team of 2 players, 1000 points each. Looks difficult to do something at 1000 points as SCE, except LAGC+ Knight Incantor+ hunters+LO/balista combo.

I'd like to field a battalion, but there's nothing that cheap.

SCE battalions suck, dont even bother

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Maturin said:

I know, they're too expensive and they include too mane units/batallions. But surprisingly, Skyborne is effective!

Its the only one and it includes sub par units you normally wouldnt bring. 

Heres the thing, cost is one thing, but none of the battalions offer any meaningful bonuses or have adequate/reasonable troop requirements.

If im forgoing 5 dudes for a battalion, the effect had better be immediate. But our two best battalions, the Hailstorm Battery and Cleansing phalanx, make you jump thru hoops before you get their effect.

Cant bring more than 1 ballista into hailstorm, needs to hit with castigators.

Evocators need to be wholly within 6 AND need to get empower off and it doesnt have to be unbound in order to get the benefit.

Like who designed this ******

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lucur said:

Knight Incantor, Knight Heraldor, 2×5 Judicators, 10 Evocators would be my first idea. Because everyone loves some Evocators, right? ^^

10 evocators melt everything IF they get in combat ;). And then, you have the lack of mobility afterwards!

Hi everyone,

A rules question again...

How do wounds and healing wounds in the same phase work? I had a game last night where i gave castellants warding latern buff to sequitors. So they have a 3+ save and on 7+ heal wounds.

Now in the combat phase they were fighting plague monks. The monks do exacly 6 wounds... i roll 2 x7+'s for saves so can heal 2 wounds. How does the allocation of wounds and healing work here. Rule book says you can't heal dead models so do we first allocate the wounds to the unit and then apply the heal or do the healed wounds negate taken wounds? 

We played it so I couldn't heal as i lost 3 whole models with the 6 wounds taken so the healed wounds have no effect. Is this correct?

Thanks for any help on this

35 minutes ago, Fundre said:

Hi everyone,

A rules question again...

How do wounds and healing wounds in the same phase work? I had a game last night where i gave castellants warding latern buff to sequitors. So they have a 3+ save and on 7+ heal wounds.

Now in the combat phase they were fighting plague monks. The monks do exacly 6 wounds... i roll 2 x7+'s for saves so can heal 2 wounds. How does the allocation of wounds and healing work here. Rule book says you can't heal dead models so do we first allocate the wounds to the unit and then apply the heal or do the healed wounds negate taken wounds? 

We played it so I couldn't heal as i lost 3 whole models with the 6 wounds taken so the healed wounds have no effect. Is this correct?

Thanks for any help on this

In this case you would need to roll each save separately. It's slow but it's the only way to play it properly.

In fact, even with a full health Stardrake with the same spell cast on it, you'd need to roll each dice separately, as if you rolled a 6 first and then 1 after that you'd still lose that would because the first healing save did nothing (but save, of course).

Also keep in mind that Rend is applied to the roll before you check for the healing. I see so many players playing this wrong and healing their Staunch Defender Stardrake on 5+ saves against -2 rend...

Edited by tom_gore
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, tom_gore said:

Also keep in mind that Rend is applied to the roll before you check for the healing. I see so many players playing this wrong and healing their Staunch Defender Stardrake on 5+ saves against -2 rend...

So, even if you have Staunch defender and Castellant's light, you can't heal at all if wounded by -2 rend ?

Thanks tom_gore and Maturin. Yes i'm aware of the rend factor. I will just roll saves one at a time to get the benefit. 

My plan still worked really well. I played a hammers of sigmar with lots of sacrosacnt vs skaven with 2 abombs a furnace 40 monks 40 clanrats 2 x 20 clan rats 2 engineers 9 jezzails and a ratling gun (iirc).

I had LA on gryp, castellant, relictor, gavriel and ordinator with 2x5 seqs 10 seqs 10 evos and 3 balistas.

T1 i gave 5 seqs castellants +1 save and heal as well as halo. We played bordar scenario and i deployed right at the back of the baord avoiding jezzails. I then translocated the 5 buffed seqs onto objective. In skaven turn they fired rattling gun at seqs and seqs made all their saves (i rolled like a boss) and did 3 mw on ratling and it died and i took no wounds. 

Then an abomb charged the 5 seqs, the abomb caused loads of wounds but again i saved everything but 2 so lost 1 seq BUT i managed to put 7mw back on abomb from halo alone. Then the seqs took the abpomb down to 3 wounds. 

It was a super tight game but most enjoyable. I won 25 pts to 24 in turn 5

1 hour ago, Maturin said:

So in the end, Stardrake aren't unkillable, and the only miniatures they can really engage without stress are those without rend. Right ?

Well even with -2 Rend they're still at 3+ save (with Staunch Def and Castellan's Light) with rerolls on 1s with the Shield so... yeah not unkillable but still pretty tough with their wound count. Don't want to do the math, but I believe it's somewhere north of 50 wounds with Rend -2 to bring them down. You're still much better off bombarding them with MWs.

Edited by tom_gore
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Lucur said:

Iirc there was an FAQ that stated you can't heal wounds that would be suffered from the same set of saves. I'll have to check when i'm home, but i'm pretty sure you can only heal damage previously suffered, not during that phase.

I haven't seen anything of such in any designer's commentary or FAQ.

1 hour ago, PJetski said:

Saves happen before damage is allocated, and the Warding Lantern effect of rolling a 7+ happens immediately when you make the save roll.

To expand this so it makes sense in the context of the discussion (because honestly I had to read it 3 times before I got the point you were making)

The order is for each die: roll the save, failed saves generate damage. Then, after ALL attacks have been made, assign wounds to the unit equal to the damage generated. Warding Lantern happens immediately after the saving roll, so even if you are rolling dice one at a time (there's no need to) it can't heal wounds in the same set because they are still "damage" at that point not "wounds". You can only heal wounds that were allocated to it either earlier in the same phase or in a previous phase. Note that it's ALL attacks, so that includes different weapon profiles

Hello, Stormcasters!  I'm new to the army, wanted to balance out my Chaos with some Order, and make a force to honor my cat and old dogs and do some neat conversions (so they will have cat helms, and possibly convert my 40k Space Wolves megathunderwerewolf guys, because where there's thunder there's lightning).

Here's what I have in mind with the current models I have:

Lord-Aquilor (general)

Lord-Arcanum on Dracoth (giant Thunderwulfen Wolf Lord)

Lord-Arcanum on Dracoline (same as above, but brown)

3x5 Vanguard-Hunters

3 Pallidors with Javelins

4 Concussors (Thunderwolf Cavalry conversion)

5 Retributors (2 Starsoul maces, big Wulfen I made from old minotaurs and Fenrisian Wolf heads and Wulfen bits)

Angelos battalion

Is that a reasonable place to start for a half-decent Stormcast army?  Or are those units just ******?  I could use my chickens for Chaos knights of Tzeentch too.  Mainly I want to use my cat helmets and dogs as good guys.

• Like 1