AoS 2 - Sylvaneth Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Yeah much more than expected. I do hope the archers are not 3 in a box for 100 points and 60 euro though. They don't look much larger than the old revenant types so a significant increase in strength does not seem that likely... also they'll need a bit different niche than the hunters. Same for the cavalry basicly.

Personally I'm not that excited about the model of the lady of vines but the rest looks nice.

• Like 1

How this threat is so devoid of talk after today?? We are getting a new named character + 3 new units (1 archer and 2 cavalry options), all many of us were wishing some weeks ago!

Come forth children of life, our season as finally come!!

https://i.redd.it/cj7rrywnmox81.png

Fest2022 Sylvaneth May5 Image3

https://i.redd.it/ab941acpnox81.png

https://i.redd.it/8unstnucnox81.png

Fest2022 Sylvaneth May5 Image4

Edited by Arzalyn
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Arzalyn said:

How this threat is so devoid of talk after today?? We are getting a new named character + 3 new units (1 archer and 2 cavalry options), all many of us were wishing some weeks ago!

Come forth children of life, our season as finally come!!

https://i.redd.it/cj7rrywnmox81.png

Fest2022 Sylvaneth May5 Image3

https://i.redd.it/ab941acpnox81.png

https://i.redd.it/8unstnucnox81.png

Fest2022 Sylvaneth May5 Image4

Agreed! I had very low expectations so every reveal just sent me further and further over the moon, haha!

• Like 1

I like the Lady, but I'm disapointed about other choices. Having a bug carrying an archer in that way it's just...silly? I'm an old oak, something riding an hawk would have been better imho. Or even a fairy, some flying ladies. 

Same with the riding bugs. 

I'm excited for the rules tho, finally! A new book. I still hope to find the city wanderers choices into this book with our beloved trees. #feelings

• Like 1

Time for more Wyld Predictions (in the form of rule speculation)!

Gossamid Archers - Based on the description in the stream "magic arrows that become bugs that eat your face" I'm guessing mortal wounds but probably not a high volume of attacks and limited range (12-15"). Probably squishy but able to retreat and shoot or else have some other "stay out of combat" survivability. Probably 130-150 pts range? Maybe more if they have 2 wounds and hit at all hard.

Lady of Vines - They said she'd be a wizard with summoning and buffs. I would have loved to see a hero in the 150-200pts range, but I bet she ends up closer to 250 because of the summoning. 7-10 wounds, probably hits like tissue paper but hopefully has cool flexibility otherwise.

Spiterider Lancers - They were described as shock cavalry. Compared to idoneth eels. I bet that's accurate and not much else to discuss. 150-180 for 3 depending on how hard they hit. 3 wounds each? I doubt they can teleport like infantry revs, but maybe they have a start of game drop in that isn't dependent on woods?

Revenant Seekers - Mounted combat medics? Yes please. I'm guessing 10" move (compared to 14 or 16 for the lancers) and then rules similar to the fyreslayers hero with improved rallies or boosts to Verduous Harmony that are dependent on models dying nearby. Hard to estimate points, but I hope they are decently resilient, especially since I don't expect them to be particularly killy.

How stupid will this post make me look in hindsight? Cant' wait to find out!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mirage8112 said:

Models look good. Archers are in units of 5 so my guess is a low point cost, maybe 2 wounds. I like the idea teased that the flying cav will be able to resurrect or bring models back or something to that effect. We’ll have to see. 

I have a feeling that healing and bringin back models (or summoning new ones based on models death) will be our main gimmick in the next book. It make sense to have the Life related faction have the best healing, and maybe if all the units they showed today have 2~3 wounds we can make good use of it.

1 hour ago, King Dust said:

Lady of Vines - They said she'd be a wizard with summoning and buffs. I would have loved to see a hero in the 150-200pts range, but I bet she ends up closer to 250 because of the summoning. 7-10 wounds, probably hits like tissue paper but hopefully has cool flexibility otherwise.

Maybe she will be a stronger Branchwraith, focusing on summoning dryads and healing other units? I if she ends as a support hero, it would give her a different niche than the ancient. I wouldn't be surprised if the arch-revenant end as our ~150 points hero, based on the other tomes we saw.

26 minutes ago, Iksdee said:

Any news about Wanderers allies?

Nope and I wouldn't expect to her any before the tome is released.

• Thanks 1

I am very, very happy with the new Sylvaneth stuff! They get a new clean battletome with all the rules in it, which is great. The tome doesn't get a new cover but that's not too bad because the cover with the Archrevenant on it is excellent. And the insect and Revenant aesthetics are my favourite part of the army looks-wise so both the flying archers as well as the bug riders are a huge win in my book! The Lady is starting to grow on me as well. :)

And also no Kurnothi, which I like as well, because in my humble opinion Sylvaneth aren't in any need of hooves or Fyreslayer haircuts.

So I will definitely get the tome and maybe build an actual army if I ever manage to finish my Ymetrica forces. 😅

Edited by Maogrim
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Maogrim said:

I am very, very happy with the new Sylvaneth stuff! They get a new clean battletome with all the rules in it, which is great. The tome doesn't get a new cover but that's not too bad because the cover with the Archrevenant on it is excellent. And the insect and Revenant aesthetics are my favourite part of the army looks-wise so both the flying archers as well as the bug riders are a huge win in my book! The Lady is starting to grow on me as well. :)

Totally. I freakin' love that tome cover, and the 3.0 books have knocked it out of the park so far.

2 hours ago, Maogrim said:

And also no Kurnothi, which I like as well, because in my humble opinion Sylvaneth aren't in any need of hooves or Fyreslayer haircuts.

😠

I want my weird wild aelves dammit

Edited by acr0ssth3p0nd

2 hours ago, acr0ssth3p0nd said:

Totally. I freakin' love that tome cover, and the 3.0 books have knocked it out of the park so far.

😠

I want my weird wild aelves dammit

new warcry set in the gnarlwood in ghur with an emphasis on non chaos warbands so maybe a kunrothi or sylvaneth warband could be seen in the future. 

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 3

18 hours ago, King Dust said:

Time for more Wyld Predictions (in the form of rule speculation)!

Gossamid Archers - Based on the description in the stream "magic arrows that become bugs that eat your face" I'm guessing mortal wounds but probably not a high volume of attacks and limited range (12-15"). Probably squishy but able to retreat and shoot or else have some other "stay out of combat" survivability. Probably 130-150 pts range? Maybe more if they have 2 wounds and hit at all hard.

Spiterider Lancers - They were described as shock cavalry. Compared to idoneth eels. I bet that's accurate and not much else to discuss. 150-180 for 3 depending on how hard they hit. 3 wounds each? I doubt they can teleport like infantry revs, but maybe they have a start of game drop in that isn't dependent on woods?

Revenant Seekers - Mounted combat medics? Yes please. I'm guessing 10" move (compared to 14 or 16 for the lancers) and then rules similar to the fyreslayers hero with improved rallies or boosts to Verduous Harmony that are dependent on models dying nearby. Hard to estimate points, but I hope they are decently resilient, especially since I don't expect them to be particularly killy.

How stupid will this post make me look in hindsight? Cant' wait to find out!

Gossamids: Based on how the NH were treated in their new book, I think mortal wound shooting is a thing of the past. I am also curious how insect projectiles will translate into game rules tho. I am assuming either a lot of low rend attacks (think d6 hits per shot) or perhaps even a debuff like -1 to hit.

Lady of Vines: They specifically said she would be similar to Drycha in terms of output. So probably around 300pts. Likely a jack of all trades unit with casting, shooting and decent fighting. Also note they mentioned she would have access to summoning. So I am thinking she is more like a supercharged branchwraith. 

Lancers: Spot on. This unit will probably be one of our biggest gains. Previously we have had to rely on allies for fast shock units. 

Seekers: I wouldn't be suprised if these guys weren't wizards like Sisters of the Thorn. But having access to buffed Rally also makes sense. It was very interesting that there were only two pictured. I'm curious if a hero build option is possible?

Overall this reveal was about the best I could have hoped for. I love the bug/fairy aesthetic and our basic troop options essentially just doubled. My main concern at this point is that they get Spites Revenants and allegiance abilities right. But so far I am very optimistic! Also the endless spells need some love! 

I do hope Drycha doesn't loose her MW shooting. 

I'm wondering about how our shooters will compare to each other. I'm guess there will be a clear winner and knowing GW it'll be the new kids on the block :D

Still hoping branchwraiths (incl the lady) will be priests.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aezeal said:

I'm wondering about how our shooters will compare to each other. I'm guess there will be a clear winner and knowing GW it'll be the new kids on the block :D

I hope there are defined niches for each shooter. Hunters keep their range, gossamids get some other utility to account for their shorter range, Drycha keeps her vesatility and volume of attacks, etc.

Points and Gossamid archers warscrolls circulating around the internet, appear to be from the duel box.

Duel box content and points:

Spoiler

Lady of Vines - 340 (Leader, unique)

Durthu - 375 (Leader, Behemoth)

Kurnoth Hunters with bows - 255

Goassamid Archers - 215

Archers Warscroll (text, so maybe the mods don't have to take this info down):

Spoiler

2 wounds, move 12", save 5+, bravery 6

Bow is 12", 2/+3/+3/-/1

Talons are 1", 2/+3/+4/-/1

Champion get +1 attack on their bow.

Larval Shafts - Hits of 6 on the bows cause d3 mortals, attack ends.

Forest Fighters - If the unit has 2 or more models, coherency is 2" rather than 1".

Zephyspites - After this unit recieved the Unleash Hell command ability, if this unit is within 3" of any enemy unit, you can roll a dice. On a 2+, this unit can retreat.

Looks to be a strong mortal wound source, balanced by their short range. The move + retreat after unlesh hell will surely make them really mobile!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Arzalyn said:

Looks to be a strong mortal wound source, balanced by their short range. The move + retreat after unlesh hell will surely make them really mobile!

Well I got the points wrong but otherwise feel like my Wyld predictions were pretty accurate 😅

The Archers are very strong; like the Lumineth foxes, armies that lack shooting or mortal wounds on the charge will have a very hard time dealing with them. With 11 shots from a unit of 5 they average ~4 mortal wounds every time they shoot which is nothing to sneeze at. 2 wounds each might be an indication other Revenants will get a similar stat boost. 

It's interesting to see bow Kurnoths and Durthu go up a fair amount in points, it certainly entails some big warscroll improvements. The Lady of Vines being that expensive definitely lines up with her being a Drycha-tier character in terms of power, though it's a safe bet a large part of her cost is due to her summoning - I wouldn't be surprised if it works more like Alarielle than the current Branchwraith. 

• Like 1

12" range on the Archers is VERY disappointing. 

215 points for 5 of them seems pretty heavily costed - but the potential for MW spikes is also crazy. Seems like a very swingy unit in terms of damage, but frail (as probably expected).  

Edited by Freejack02

13 minutes ago, Freejack02 said:

12" range on the Archers is VERY disappointing. 

215 points for 5 of them seems pretty heavily costed - but the potential for MW spikes is also crazy. Seems like a very swingy unit in terms of damage, but frail (as probably expected).  

12" move plus the retreat after Unleash Hell mitigate the short range a lot, especially as the retreat happens before any potential monstrous rampages. Shooting is gonna be their bane for sure but they compare well to Blood Stalkers which is not bad at all. I much prefer units like these for Sylvaneth; mobile skirmishers moreso than long range holders. 

Edited by Jaskier
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Jaskier said:

I much prefer units like these for Sylvaneth; mobile skirmishers moreso than long range holders. 

Good points all around. Speaking of the long range holders, have we seen any info on the Kurnoth Bow points increase leading to a scroll revamp? I assume they're getting changes for a new tome. 

I think the Gossamid Archers look pretty balanced. Yeh, their shooting is good and they are nice and mobile but they are pretty fragile if you can catch them (it costs a CP to escape) and are reasonably costed considering.

Perfect world I think if you take these new archers and turn Kurnoth into long range, high rend snipers you keep a nice niche for both. Put them on 3+/3+/-2/2, move to a 3+ base save, take off Tanglethorn and Trample and you have a decent unit at 255 I think.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mojojojo101 said:

Perfect world I think if you take these new archers and turn Kurnoth into long range, high rend snipers you keep a nice niche for both. Put them on 3+/3+/-2/2, move to a 3+ base save, take off Tanglethorn and Trample and you have a decent unit at 255 I think.

This is the direction I'm expecting them to go. With the Gossamid and the Spiteriders filling the middle of the road shooting/shock troop I imagine they will move Hunters to the super elite and resilient tier, which would give us a pretty diverse unit roster.

12 hours ago, Jaskier said:

2 wounds each might be an indication other Revenants will get a similar stat boost.

I doubt this would be the case, probably the spite is the thing giving them the 1 extra wound. My beat would be Spite/Tree revenants staying at 1 wound, the gossamid being the 2 wound option and the spiteriders/seekers the 3 wound option (bigger spite would have more life).

Judging by the gossamid points, spite/tree revs will probably become more expensive, luckily with a proper warscroll update to make them more than just cheap chaff. I imagine they will go to 120~150 points.

• Like 2