AoS 2 - Sylvaneth Discussion

Chris Tomlin

4 hours ago, Arzalyn said:

So we got a battalion box after all, Drycha + 10 revenants (spites for the battalion probably). The battalions rules are generally quiet bad, but the box offer a good saving for those that don't have Drycha.

IMG-20210524-WA0002.jpg

I understand that at this point there isn't much in the sylvaneth range that doesn't already have a box set between the start collecting and the warcry box but that mostly speaks to how small the range is

PLASTIC BRANCHWRAITH WHEN GW

3 minutes ago, Freypal said:

At £34.50 leaked pricing for the warsong rev... Is it possible that this is actually a new unit rather than a buffing hero?

That's the same price as kurnoths and drycha...

I'm guessing a 60mm base and a really tall model at that price. I think it was 38€ from an LGS on their preorder. 

I think I'm going to skip the preorder until the warscroll is out, and the rules teaser didn't give me much hope. Bravery shenanigans cost extra points for almost no return under the present rules. I hope the new warscroll has two casts and maybe even a bonus to casting, that's even more points.

Baseless speculation: I'm guessing the new model is at least 250 points a with around 8 wounds, no dpr, a 4+ save. One cast with a bonus, or two casts without. High movement, possibly even flying.

On 5/20/2021 at 12:28 PM, Abstract_duck said:

I thoroughly regret asking this question.. But, thank you all for the answers! 

Haha yea, statistically we are definitely among the worst 3 factions in the game, and we are more than often dead last. Hilariously we only outperform Grand Allegiance Order by a few tenths of a percent. Which means our allegiance rules aren't measurably better than having no allegiance rules at all :S

So the short answer is that Sylvaneth don't do anything particularly well. Most armies have phases where they excel (or in the case of LRL, Tzeentch, and Seraphon, EVERY phase grumble grumble grumble) Sylvaneth do not have that special phase.  As it stands we are either straight up bad (shooting, movement) or just mediocre (combat, magic).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kaylethia said:

I'm guessing a 60mm base and a really tall model at that price. I think it was 38€ from an LGS on their preorder. 

The Warsong Revenant is on an oval base.  You can tell from the release video last month.

When they mentioned that it increases friendly Bravery and decreases enemy Bravery, I thought that was really good news since bravery shenanigans in this army have been relevant...

flips through and checks notes

NEVER.

They better blow my socks off with this warscroll, Alarielle's warscroll, and give us more changes.  Otherwise, I'll shelve the army and focus on my professional wrestling themed Sons of Behemat army.

• Sad 1

I've found Sylvaneth to be very fun in Warcry. Spites can stop an enemy model from moving, tree-revenants can teleport, the branchw[ych|raith] have their uses, and dryads can point at something and say "that has to go." And hunters are far scarier than heroes.

It feels a lot more like playing Sylvaneth than playing with them in AoS currently, so if you have a chance, give Warcry a try.

22 hours ago, Pennydude said:

flips through and checks notes

NEVER

You had me before this, and I love it.

I've tried the Dreadwood, Outcasts, Drycha song and dance, and when your main opponents are CoS, Warclans/Ironjawz, Gitz, Kharadron and Fyreslayers, bravery only applies to you. I've played against a IJ list with Warclans allegiance that wins on turn three with 8 cp left over, because the player forgot to use them on rerolls, and that's after Inspiring Presence. Nasty.

• Haha 1

LOL glad I could provide some comic relief.

Bravery shenanigans don’t work in this game when an army is completely immune (OBR) or can turn it against you (LRL Cathallar). Plus to make it work, you have to really invest in Spite Revs (fragile), use shooting to take care of heroes (easier said than done), AND have the reliable magic to pump out Horrorghast and Vengeful Skullroot (which we can’t do reliably).

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Pennydude said:

LOL glad I could provide some comic relief.

Bravery shenanigans don’t work in this game when an army is completely immune (OBR) or can turn it against you (LRL Cathallar). Plus to make it work, you have to really invest in Spite Revs (fragile), use shooting to take care of heroes (easier said than done), AND have the reliable magic to pump out Horrorghast and Vengeful Skullroot (which we can’t do reliably).

It's at times like this that I wish, more than ever, that the old Leadership Checks were still a thing for actions outside of the Morale phase. If 3.0 has the charge reactions as rumored, they could be gated behind successful Leadership tests instead of requiring CP, for example. 40K Necrons actually have some neat stuff where you deal Mortal Wounds and debuffs by rolling over the target unit's Leadership on 3d6 - things like that would make Leadership (and Leadership debuffs) relevant, and could even replace the feels-bad of fleeing models in the Morale Phase entirely. So many armies have ways to make themselves immune to Morale Tests, and I suspect it's because of how having models flee makes the game feel less fun. 

On 5/23/2021 at 10:27 AM, Arzalyn said:

Honestly hope he does more than a gives a +1 bravery to sylvaneth and -1 bravery to others...

Probably dies really fast.  You can add that to the list.  also dismal at casting if is a caster.  I"m sure it's bad a lots.  I'll still buy one cause I will enjoy painting it.

On 5/24/2021 at 10:35 AM, Freypal said:

At £34.50 leaked pricing for the warsong rev... Is it possible that this is actually a new unit rather than a buffing hero?

That's the same price as kurnoths and drycha...

Welcome to the future is now.  The model priced as Drycha makes sense to me.  Very large with table top presence.  

3 hours ago, Popisdead said:

Probably dies really fast.  You can add that to the list.  also dismal at casting if is a caster.  I"m sure it's bad a lots.  I'll still buy one cause I will enjoy painting it.

Honestly at this point my only wish it is a 2 cast wizards that cost less than 300. Would be cool to be able to do throne + something else without needing the staff...

21 minutes ago, Craze said:

You sure? In that leak from the Italian BR: Kragnos version it looks more like 740 and the Honest Wargamer also tweeted that she went up in points.

Well, can’t confirm. I saw that in a picture taken with a potato camera, I might decrypt it wrong.

• Haha 1

The picture show she is 740. The rumor has she got the following changes:

range attack is fixed range no scaling and hit on 2+ instead of 3+ but scaling damage FLat 6 scaling
she lost 1 attack on the great horns but gained +1 to hit +1 to wounds
Scaling is 1 wound less per bracket
she lost the talon of the dwindling ability
she heal 2d6 each hero phase and she heal d3 to other sylvaneth unit wholy within 30
Living battering ram is 2+ d3 mortal 6+ d6 mortal
summon special ability is the same as before
she can run&shoot& charge
the claw as the same ability as the seraphon dagger but on a 6+
still 3 cast the spell now is wound on 3+
same command ability

Also, no warscroll changes other than her.... I doubt we will get anything other than her + the warsong revenant

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Arzalyn said:

The picture show she is 740. The rumor has she got the following changes:

range attack is fixed range no scaling and hit on 2+ instead of 3+ but scaling damage FLat 6 scaling
she lost 1 attack on the great horns but gained +1 to hit +1 to wounds
Scaling is 1 wound less per bracket
she lost the talon of the dwindling ability
she heal 2d6 each hero phase and she heal d3 to other sylvaneth unit wholy within 30
Living battering ram is 2+ d3 mortal 6+ d6 mortal
summon special ability is the same as before
she can run&shoot& charge
the claw as the same ability as the seraphon dagger but on a 6+
still 3 cast the spell now is wound on 3+
same command ability

Also, no warscroll changes other than her.... I doubt we will get anything other than her + the warsong revenant

At least she looks awesome on my living room’s shelve!

9 minutes ago, Pennydude said:

We are getting a new warscroll for the Awakened Wyldwood as well apparently.

What is this feeling, it feels like... hope?

Jokes apart, if this is true maybe something will change for us after all.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Arzalyn said:

What is this feeling, it feels like... hope?

Jokes apart, if this is true maybe something will change for us after all.

They’ve learned to stop hating the trees. 

I’m not too thrilled with what I’ve seen about the Warsong Revenant for its points. 

275pts, 5+ save, 5+ FNP, 7 wounds, 2 cast wizard with full spell lore, Bravery buff/debuff at 12”, warscroll spell a horde buster on 5+. No word on combat abilities or shooting.

Woods apparently have new placement rules and do damage on movement on 6+ BUT get +2 if a wizard or endless spell is nearby. May also have new LoS blocking rules.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Pennydude said:

275pts, 5+ save, 5+ FNP, 7 wounds, 2 cast wizard with full spell lore, Bravery buff/debuff at 12”, warscroll spell a horde buster on 5+. No word on combat abilities or shooting.

Woods apparently have new placement rules and do damage on movement on 6+ BUT get +2 if a wizard or endless spell is nearby. May also have new LoS blocking rules.

Honestly I just wanted a 2 cast no named wizard, more expensive than I hoped but its something!

Do you know if the woods placement got better or worst?

10 hours ago, Craze said:

You sure? In that leak from the Italian BR: Kragnos version it looks more like 740 and the Honest Wargamer also tweeted that she went up in points.

The 7 on the 275 on the next line looks very different than the first number for Alarielle. To me it looks like 5 or 6.

640 would fit with rumours of going up too.

Edit: 740 indeed. Well that really sucks.

Edited by a74xhx