AoS 2 - Beasts of Chaos Discussion

Gaz Taylor

Hi.

8 hours ago, Popisdead said:

3rd ed 40k: mechanical chess, just Rhino rush and win without thinking

4th: Can I game these rules harder than you?  Orks were terrible in this edition.  Utter garbage.  The big issues was Hammer DAemon Hunter heroes in marine armies consodolating into every other unit they smash.  

5th: pretty good ruleset and Orks did reliably well for me.  So good edition :D  I don't recall loosing much if at all.  Maybe it was the pain of learning in 4th.

3rd: yes, Rhino Rush and Turbo boosting Bikers were the game changers

4th: Orks received their 5th edition Rulebook at the end of 4th edition, thus their open toped Trukks could reach You in the first turn

5th: Yes! Orks were great You could go Heavy vehicle, heavy infantry, hybrid etc. Great edition:)

And I am aware of the Measured Gaming channel. My favorite AoS related Channel on YT :)

Edited by Apok
  • Like 1

Well 40k its all Monsters, Vehicles, pistols, and many units can use CP's to shoot into combat. But also 40k has an insane  amount of shooting. Its why it is harder to shoot into combat, there are also many terrain rules to help shooting, 1) You literally count of not being visible to the shooting, 2) You are -1 to hits, 3) You gain +1 to saves. Also in 40k you can shoot when a unit charges you, granted it weaker than normal shooting but for many units/armies that doesn't matter. 

AoS Shooting is only bad right now b.c many shooting units are under costed. Look at Skyfires for an example (granted they also have a fly+fast movement tax), if Salamanders were another 20pts per (so 130 compare to 110) then taking 9 of them would make their lists 180pts less, doesn't sound like much but it is enough to not have all those extra skinks to body block.

Speaking of Khornegors (and yes, please!) I need 1-3 more Tuskgor Chariots to round out my Blood Tithe Bandits:

ACE653D8-851D-4961-A5DA-6B0E090438FC.jpeg.2dd6936db7305cd1c37a780f412d57b0.jpeg

Plan to run them in Brass Despoilers both as BoC and in Blades of Khorne.  In the latter I’m fascinated to see their potential as both easy Blood Tithe (can get them into battle much quicker than say MSU Reavers) but with possibly better hitting power and potential for objective stealing.  In the former not sure which Bray would give them the most benefit.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Siphon said:

Here’s hoping that since they are at least talking about Khorngors and Pestigors, those will be heading our way in the not too distant future.

I would think so.  Those two are the powers that historically well better so GW and FW focussed on them more.  It surprised me honestly to see Tzeentch and now Slaanesh (the least loved,.. ironically) getting the cult attention but then,.. I guess the Mortal/DAemon side of KHorne and Nurgle ain't hurtin'.

To be honest I hope it's a hint GW hasn't abandoned the range and plan to give us some decent help with a re-write.  Sure the book is only 3 years old but it needs it.  Whenever GW puts any love towards Beasts i always see a swathe of people return or start up the army.  

13 minutes ago, Beer & Pretzels Gamer said:

Speaking of Khornegors (and yes, please!) I need 1-3 more Tuskgor Chariots to round out my Blood Tithe Bandits:

Plan to run them in Brass Despoilers both as BoC and in Blades of Khorne.  In the latter I’m fascinated to see their potential as both easy Blood Tithe (can get them into battle much quicker than say MSU Reavers) but with possibly better hitting power and potential for objective stealing.  In the former not sure which Bray would give them the most benefit.

As singles they are indeed good.  There was a sub-thread under Chaos about marked Beastmen a while ago (no clue when covid erased the concept of time) but someone posted a pretty good list with spamming BoC chariots under Blades of Khorne allegiance Brass Despoilers.  Keep up the good work :)

Edited by Popisdead

Gavespawn is the usual and best choice, but if you want to just load up on chariots, you could at least give Allherd a look.   

The chariots are cheap in primordial call points so Allherd can help get you more of them quicker.  

To be fair, Allherd, No Herd, and Darkwalkers just don’t do much compared to Gavespawn.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Beer & Pretzels Gamer said:

ACE653D8-851D-4961-A5DA-6B0E090438FC.jpeg.2dd6936db7305cd1c37a780f412d57b0.jpeg

Don't forget they also count as individual units to proc Brass Despoilers "rr 1's if near another unit from the batallion" rule, and they do it well because it's not hard to keep one chariot "wholly within 8 inches" of a unit.

43 minutes ago, The Red King said:

Don't forget they also count as individual units to proc Brass Despoilers "rr 1's if near another unit from the batallion" rule, and they do it well because it's not hard to keep one chariot "wholly within 8 inches" of a unit.

Good point!  Gets to the yeah, I expect them to die but think that they may hit a bit harder than your average Blood Tithe MSU.

21 hours ago, Scaras said:

Has it been mentioned or confirmed if Slaangors are going to be usable in Beasts?

16 hours ago, Marius au said:

I would be amazed if they weren't considering they were included in an article about the evolution of beastmen/gors through the years.

I agree with this but,.. it's GW.  A company that refused to FAQ Herds could go 5-wide in 7th ed.  GW is known for some pretty blatantly stupid moves regarding outlier armies,  I'm ... sadly only 60% confident they will be BoC and the Battalion will be updated.  mmmm maybe only 40%,..  :(  

I still plan to buy some Slaangors when they come out.  The models are too darn nice, I want to support GW for making Slaanesh Gors again and I have a HoS army anyway.

Finally assembling by beasts.  Now I want flexibility to run 10 mans as well as big blocks of ungors but I really don't want to assemble and paint 8 standard bearers.  How do people normally go with wysiwyg when swapping between the unit sizes?

Also I absolutely do not want to assemble the musician or standard bearer on my bullgors (the axes look way better).  How do people represent those things on these models?  Do you glue the drums and standard to the back of one of the bullgors?

5 hours ago, Death1942 said:

How do people represent those things on these models? 

I put the flag on the top of a 2 handed axe while I have another raising his up in the air. You could do the reverse  and put the axe head on the banner pole too. Slapping it on their back works but I'm not a fan. It doesn't look good/realistic to me.

I like painting my banners, so I haven't had the issue of not wanting them. I have mine look like bloody "leather" which I'm rather fond of. So, maybe try to find one you like a lot? Failing that ... maybe 1 in 20 for ungors and the like? The banners' ability isn't too important on screening units, so not having 1 isn't a big deal currently. (in my opinion) Every bestigor unit should probably have 1 since they'll actually use it though.

On 2/10/2021 at 12:20 PM, Lord Krungharr said:

How many spawn, and are they individuals or a unit, do Gavespawn players run?

I take 1 just in case I get alpha struck or don't roll a 3+ for summoning. Probably don't need to but ... *shrug* My gavespawn are more focused on bullgors though. Plays differently from lots of ungors, ect.

• Like 1

Hi

5 hours ago, Death1942 said:

Also I absolutely do not want to assemble the musician or standard bearer on my bullgors (the axes look way better).  How do people represent those things on these models?  Do you glue the drums and standard to the back of one of the bullgors?

You can attach the drum to the belt of the Bullgor for example. The standard can be made on a standalone piece on the base itself. 

As for ungors, I try to make the assets as variable as possible. For example the standard is a spear with some skull bits. The horn blower has its horn on the back etc.

16 minutes ago, The Red King said:

Slaangor have the beasts of chaos keyword but at a glance they are just worse than bestigor and dont benefit from BoC in any way that Bestigor don't. That's just my initial read though.

I know I was really hoping they would have a herd keyword at least. The warband slaangor has -2 rend 2 dmg attacks, but they only have -1 1 dmg. The 2 inch range is alright but again, not much going for them. 

The MW generation doesn't look bad but its a 4+  and wont last long in combat. 

1 hour ago, The Red King said:

Slaangor have the beasts of chaos keyword but at a glance they are just worse than bestigor and dont benefit from BoC in any way that Bestigor don't. That's just my initial read though.

It is really,.. weak.... :(

56 minutes ago, Blood0Tiger said:

I know I was really hoping they would have a herd keyword at least. The warband slaangor has -2 rend 2 dmg attacks, but they only have -1 1 dmg. The 2 inch range is alright but again, not much going for them. 

The MW generation doesn't look bad but its a 4+  and wont last long in combat. 

They aren't bullgors/warherd they are marked Gors.  It's disappointing they don't have Brayherd.  But then I don't know if Tzaangor or Tzaangor enlightened do either.  They do have 2" reach on one weapon though for 40mm bases.  But at 140 points 280 for 6 isn't doing anything....

28 minutes ago, Popisdead said:

It is really,.. weak.... :(

They aren't bullgors/warherd they are marked Gors.  It's disappointing they don't have Brayherd.  But then I don't know if Tzaangor or Tzaangor enlightened do either.  They do have 2" reach on one weapon though for 40mm bases.  But at 140 points 280 for 6 isn't doing anything....

pretty sure all Tzaangor units have the Breyherd keyword

14 minutes ago, The Red King said:

I assume the Hedonites rules make them much better in their own book but that doesn't mean much for us.

From the leaks I saw the only buffs they have access to are rerolling hits from the Lord of Pain, and fighting twice from the Keeper of secrets, but I don't think their damage is high enough to make them the prime recipients of those buffs. They don't fit in any of the battalions either.
This is their damage output for 6 of them, on the charge, counting the mortals from the grabs, against a 4+ save
No description available.
In Slaanesh the damage increases by 2 (9-14) since they get exploding 6s.
By comparison 6 bullgors with greataxes (only have 1" attack range though):image.png.4b9ab33d6f872a9d2c538713ce715d85.png

Rockgut Troggoths have a 9-18 range.

I wanted to go in on these guys but there doesn't seem to be much of a reason to, I might still get a box to paint up, and maybe broken realms will bring something to make these guys perform a bit better in BoC allegiance.