AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

8 hours ago, Turragor said:

Interesting thing about that battalion is it looks to be super open ended. It's 7 CHAOS ASCENDANT PLAGUEBEARER units together with the heroes. Caps n' bold. So that's keyword right?

That means you take 2-3 CHAOS ASCENDANT NURGLE DAEMON HEROES then you can choose from:

• Poxbringer (up to the 6 Hero max limit)
  • Epidemimus (up to the 6 Hero max limit)
  • Spoilpox Scrivener (up to the 6 Hero max limit)
  • Sloppity Bilepiper (up to the 6 Hero max limit)
  • Horticulus (up to the 6 Hero max limit)
  • Plaguebearers (ofc)

&

• Plaguedrones

That's super cool imo - if it's meant to be keyword.

So lists like this are possible:

Allegiance: Chaos Ascendant
Munificent Wanderers
Leaders
Great Unclean One (340)
- Bile Blade & Doomsday Bell
Spoilpox Scrivener Herald of Nurgle (90)
Epidemius Tallyman of Nurgle (200)
Poxbringer Herald of Nurgle (120)
Sorcerer (120)

Battleline
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
10 x Plaguebearers (120)
10 x Plaguebearers (120)

Units
3 x Plague Drones (200)
3 x Plague Drones (200)

Battalions
Host of Corruption (160) I think it looks like 160 pts?

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 119

It's much better and more flexible than 7 units of plaguebearers. If you keep Nurgle's allegiance it's super good. If not you can run this with Munificent Wanderers or Droning Guard right?

That's still pretty hefty. I think there's a case to be made for giving up Nurgle's allegiance if it's what has to be done. To test these new synergies out. Plus the above is a 2 drop due to the sorcerer only. Which is just in there by habit. It's a super flexible 1 drop.

Will have to check out this book and keep an eye out for the errata to come...

Wait, are these hosts like Munificent Wanderers subfactions of Chaos Ascendant or of Nurgle allegiance etc? I though the latter?

1 hour ago, ccconner777 said:

Excited about trying munificient wanderers with a thricefold befoulment battalion. The command trait bouncing back a mortal on each 6 to hit applies to your demon units in a wholly within 12" bubble around the general, which with 135mm bases on the Guo translates roughly to your two other Guos staying within about 6.5" of your general Guo in the center, so it pairs really well with thricefold befoulment as you wanna stay within 7" to get max bonuses there. Plus all your demons make enemies have 1 worse rend around them. So the 3 big guys get bouncing back mortal wounds on 6's to hit and effectively +1 to their save against attacks with rend. Seems really worth the trade off of the bad artifact.

Exactly my thought! 

5 hours ago, TheVenerableBede said:

Wait, are these hosts like Munificent Wanderers subfactions of Chaos Ascendant or of Nurgle allegiance etc? I though the latter?

They are subfactions of their respective god allegiances. Nurgle finally gets chamber/host variants. See the community article where they reference using the blessed sons ability in conjunction with the feculent gnarlmaw. Chaos ascendant is a new allegiance and i think the kinghts of the empty throne are also, but all the god marked ones are just new subfactions for each god allegiance.

16 hours ago, ccconner777 said:

They are subfactions of their respective god allegiances. Nurgle finally gets chamber/host variants. See the community article where they reference using the blessed sons ability in conjunction with the feculent gnarlmaw. Chaos ascendant is a new allegiance and i think the kinghts of the empty throne are also, but all the god marked ones are just new subfactions for each god allegiance.

Results in? 

No wanderers in a chaos ascendant allegiance? If so it (new chaos allegiance) is no use at all for us. 

Edited by Zplash

5 hours ago, Zplash said:

No wanderers in a chaos ascendant allegiance? If so it's no use at all for us

Yeah in the GMG review you can see on the 1st page of allegiance abilities section that the god specific subfactions/hosts are usable in conjunction with the god specific allegiances but not in chaos ascendant, which is an entirely new allegiance with its own separate allegiance abilities and battalions. It seems to me that the battalions are only for chaos ascendant, but not 100% sure on that. If you could take munificient wanderers with the chaos ascendant nurgle battalion itd be pretty crazy, but i dont think you can.

Why do you say it would be no use though? With the bonuses munificient wanderers gives I would think nurgle demon armies will just be objectively stronger than before with these new rules. Edit: unless by "it" being no use you meant the chaos ascendant allegiance, which i would probably agree with. I like munificient wanderers more than the chaos ascendant allegiance abilities.

Edited by ccconner777
  • Like 1

How would the interaction between Tamurkhans Horde and the new Subfactions work? Tamurkhans Horde´s abilities are defined as allegiance abilities one gets in addition to the standard Maggotkin of Nurgle abilities. So...grapping a straw here: Could we be a Tamurkhans Horde Maggotkin of Nurgle Army with a Droning Guard Subfaction? :)

58 minutes ago, Primes said:

How would the interaction between Tamurkhans Horde and the new Subfactions work? Tamurkhans Horde´s abilities are defined as allegiance abilities one gets in addition to the standard Maggotkin of Nurgle abilities. So...grapping a straw here: Could we be a Tamurkhans Horde Maggotkin of Nurgle Army with a Droning Guard Subfaction? :)

I believe Thamurkan's Horde is the sub faction. 

2 hours ago, Primes said:

Yeah as someone else said I think its fair to assume you cannot do that. It seems obvious to me that they are meant to be mutually exclusive. Rules wise i think the explanation is that it would be impossible to have both because they both have required unique command traits and 1st artefacts. Also i think it says something in the rules somewhere about things with multiple subfaction keywords (certain heros have a subfaction keyword by default so i guess you could get 2 subfaction keywords on them) only benefiting from the abilities of one, so even if you could technically do it I think you would still only have access to one set of the allegiance abilities.

I wonder if lord of affliction and blightlords could be good in a wanderers list. 7 wounds 4+ save, reduce rend by 1, 5+ nurgle save (with another one if you have a harbinger who is also a daemon) would be pretty annoying to deal with. Then the lord is a pretty mobile general to put the "one last gift" bubble where you need it.

with the 16" move from the LoA' ca you could probably get one in your opponent's territory first turn to generate more contagion to summon plaguebearer objective holders. 

I don't play enough to really know how this would turn out in practice but seems like it could be fun in a 1000pt game

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

5 minutes ago, TheMuphinMan said:

I wonder if lord of affliction and blightlords could be good in a wanderers list. 7 wounds 4+ save, reduce rend by 1, 5+ nurgle save (with another one if you have a harbinger who is also a daemon) would be pretty annoying to deal with. Then the lord is a pretty mobile general to put the "one last gift" bubble where you need it.

with the 16" move from the LoA' ca you could probably get one in your opponent's territory first turn to generate more contagion to summon plaguebearer objective holders. 

I don't play enough to really know how this would turn out in practice but seems like it could be fun in a 1000pt game

I don't know but I just bought 4 pusgoyles!

• Haha 2

On 2/1/2020 at 11:17 PM, maaksel said:

Hello all,

I'm looking to start AoS with some friends.  We're big 40k guys, but with the state of the game and rules bloat, we're going to take a break for a bit until the new edition.

I was initially looking into Overlords, but decided to stick to Nurgle, as I have quite a bit of 40k nurgle stuff.

That being said, I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction for list building and review.  I have a lot of Daemons I would like to take advantage of, and would love to run the Glotkin as well.

We're a highly competitive group, but will take a bit of time to learn all the rules, etc.

Hey! Good choice with Nurgle! A big block of plaguebearers are great at sitting on objectives. The GUO is a good caster and buff piece. Drones are the hammer of a Nurgle demon army but can be lackluster in that role.  If you do expand into mortals, blightkings are incredibly point efficient and great in combat! Fire away with any specific questions 😄

2 hours ago, TheMuphinMan said:

I like it, if I had the time to paint em I'd try an afflicition cyst like this. For turn 1 deepstrike in the mix

Hi! I have a question to ask about spell casting, it is something I've been thinking about since I'm painting a Thricef. Bef. list. I want to know if is it allowed to ( roll dices) try to cast the same spell more than once. I mean, if you fail the casting value of the spell with a mage or it is dispelled, can you try to cast it with another mage? 

I think the answer is no, but its seems to me way too restrictive. Thank you in advance!

6 minutes ago, EngraBlackSword said:

Hi! I have a question to ask about spell casting, it is something I've been thinking about since I'm painting a Thricef. Bef. list. I want to know if is it allowed to ( roll dices) try to cast the same spell more than once. I mean, if you fail the casting value of the spell with a mage or it is dispelled, can you try to cast it with another mage? 

No you cannot attempt to cast an spell a second time (in a turn) whether it is successful or not. There are some minor exceptions to this for the ossiarch bonereapers (soulmason) and for Arkhan and Nagash. But other than that there are no ways to (attempt) to cast a spell more than once.

• Thanks 1

Few questions, I hope you could answer:

1. Do you think that a unit of 20 blightkings is any good in a 2k list with blight cyst and gutrot spume? Or is it a total waste of points for something completely redundant?

2. Do you think choosing "Blessed sons" subfaction for a Blight cyst list is worth it? At one hand artifact and trait aren't that bad (but still worse than a free choice picks), on the other subfaction ability and command ability seems kinda nice but also rather useless? Anyone checked it in real combat maybe?

3.  Munificient wanderers seems like the only "competitive subfaction" to take. Anyone tried a least with it? What do you think about my "Thriceshold befoulment" list? Should I go less drones and pick more plaguebearers instead of Warriors?

Allegiance: Nurgle
Mortal Realm: Ghur
Subfaction: Munificent Wanderers

Leaders
Great Unclean One (340)
- General
- Bile Blade & Massive Bilesword
- Trait: Munificent Wanderers
- Artefact: Munificent Wanderers

- Lore of Virulence: Favoured Poxes
Great Unclean One (340)
- Plague Flail & Massive Bilesword
- Artefact: Gryph-feather Charm
- Lore of Virulence: Glorious Afflictions
Rotigus (340)
- Lore of Virulence: Sumptuous Pestilence

Battleline
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
5 x Chaos Warriors (100)
- Hand Weapon & Shield
5 x Chaos Warriors (100)
- Hand Weapon & Shield

Units
6 x Plague Drones (400)

Battalions
Thricefold Befoulment (60)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 128

2 hours ago, grucha said:

What do you think about my "Thriceshold befoulment" list? Should I go less drones and pick more plaguebearers instead of Warriors?

My immediate reaction is you need a daemon hero next to the drones for the locus, which means you'll need a GUO near it, which means (because of thricefold), you'd want all three together, which means you've got 1,480pts in one area on the table, perhaps unable to support the other units? Ive never played thricefold, so I'm not sure if that is how it is in practice. Also drones  and GUO have massive base sizes, so keeping them near each other may be difficult!

1 hour ago, hughwyeth said:

My immediate reaction is you need a daemon hero next to the drones for the locus, which means you'll need a GUO near it, which means (because of thricefold), you'd want all three together, which means you've got 1,480pts in one area on the table, perhaps unable to support the other units? Ive never played thricefold, so I'm not sure if that is how it is in practice. Also drones  and GUO have massive base sizes, so keeping them near each other may be difficult!

Perhaps -3 drones and 5 warriors and + gutrot with a unit of blightkings instead?

22 hours ago, TheMuphinMan said:

You score contagion points for being inside enemy territory at the start of a hero phase so there is no way you can get some in round 1.

Edited by grucha

16 minutes ago, grucha said:

You score contagion points for being inside enemy territory at the start of a hero phase so there is no way you can get some in round 1.

Hm there are 2 options:

1) your tree is not blocked and you roll a 5 or 6 so 3 points plus 3 to be in your terretorium plus 1 if no enemy model is in your terretorium = 7 points = 5 plaguebearers

2) and this is a nice one ;)

You play vs nurgle or std nurgle or any enemy with a nurgle model in his terretorium... Then you get extra 3 points for that... In the book it's not stated friendly nurgle model only nurgle model... so in this case, add those 3 points to 1)

You are welcome :D