AoS 2 - Disciples of Tzeentch Discussion

Gaz Taylor

Glad to see GW has clarified one of my questions with today's StD FAQ.

Page 104 – Exalted Hero of Chaos, Dark Blessings Change the rules text to: ‘If this unit is part of a Slaves to Darkness army, after deployment, you can roll once on the Eye of the Gods table for this unit.’

Still going to include a block of Chosen as I like the models and want to try them out.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jabbuk said:

What role will they fill in your Tzeentch army?

The looking mean one. 😄

In other news I've "owned" massive Nurglite fly spam despite not using a counter list. Tzaangors are indeed truly amazing now, although the main thing holding my opponent back (I'd say friend but that's only outside of Warhammer... he plays Nurgle after all) was his own list and a huge tactical error of using too many resources too kill my Enlightened (they died like flies too, excuse me) and actually deepstriking at a dumb spot. Too many Pusgoyle BL for its own good.

Anyways, Fluxmaster and Curseling might become my go to heroes. 

Hey guys, looking to get back into AoS now that it looks like the new season is around the corner and Bounty Hunters is hopefully gone.

I'm trying to put the bones of a list together with what I have that can be semi competitive in either Guild of Summoners or something like Hosts Duplicitous or Arcanum.

I'm thinking along the lines of:

Kairos

Curseling

Fluxmaster

Magister

10 Kairic Acolytes

10 Kairic Acolytes

10 Pink Horrors

3 Tzaangor Enlightened

3 Tzaangor Enlightened

Spellportal, Cogs, and Burning Sigil or Simulacrum

If I were to lean more into GoS I may remove Kairos and add in a Fatemaster with Arcane Tome, Blue Scribes or Changeling(mainly because I have it painted and I like the model), and switch to two units of 10 Pinks and one of Kairics.

Either way I'd be looking at taking Daemonspark, and probably an Arcane Tome and keep the drops low. Get Burning Sigil front and centre in the enemy's army to try and make some Spawns and either start summoning Blue Horrors or Chickens as soon as possible.

One thing I worry about is where a lot of the damage will come from. Obviously I'd be taking the usual spells and Kairos/LoC will do a lot of work, but other than that and some other spells I'm not really sure. I'm personally not a fan of taking an Incarnate, good as they may be. That's why I've added the Enlightened on Discs, as I think they'll still pull a lot of weight not in BH and can focus on units I want gone. I wouldn't be against putting them all in one unit, etiher.

Of course things could change a bit with the new GHB, but it looks like it's more focused on the smalll heroes and shooting, which may well give Tzeentch and magic a small boost.

Anyway, I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts, thanks.

Edited by Chronos

17 hours ago, Chronos said:

Hey guys, looking to get back into AoS now that it looks like the new season is around the corner and Bounty Hunters is hopefully gone.

I'm trying to put the bones of a list together with what I have that can be semi competitive in either Guild of Summoners or something like Hosts Duplicitous or Arcanum.

I'm thinking along the lines of:

Kairos

Curseling

Fluxmaster

Magister

10 Kairic Acolytes

10 Kairic Acolytes

10 Pink Horrors

3 Tzaangor Enlightened

3 Tzaangor Enlightened

Spellportal, Cogs, and Burning Sigil or Simulacrum

If I were to lean more into GoS I may remove Kairos and add in a Fatemaster with Arcane Tome, Blue Scribes or Changeling(mainly because I have it painted and I like the model), and switch to two units of 10 Pinks and one of Kairics.

Either way I'd be looking at taking Daemonspark, and probably an Arcane Tome and keep the drops low. Get Burning Sigil front and centre in the enemy's army to try and make some Spawns and either start summoning Blue Horrors or Chickens as soon as possible.

One thing I worry about is where a lot of the damage will come from. Obviously I'd be taking the usual spells and Kairos/LoC will do a lot of work, but other than that and some other spells I'm not really sure. I'm personally not a fan of taking an Incarnate, good as they may be. That's why I've added the Enlightened on Discs, as I think they'll still pull a lot of weight not in BH and can focus on units I want gone. I wouldn't be against putting them all in one unit, etiher.

Of course things could change a bit with the new GHB, but it looks like it's more focused on the smalll heroes and shooting, which may well give Tzeentch and magic a small boost.

Anyway, I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts, thanks.

That list is actually quite similar to the one I've fielded in my last game (no Kairos, no pinks, Tzaangors instead of Horrors but I didn't play 2k points). I'm not sure that you'd be really happy with Kairos if you go for Guild of Summoners (too much overlap now, especially if you get two LoCs out).

I've only used one blob of Kairics but had a unit of Tzaangors who are an absolute joy to use at the moment, especially if you make the charge. The Tzaangors and Enlightened are pretty killy. Kairics are a bit useless in my experience. 

I think a Sorcerer Lord on Manticore could add a lot of punch to your list if you play against fitting armies victims. Fatemaster is a solid pick, Thaumaturge is fun (but beware, he dies quicker than one expects), I find the Gaunt Summoner overpriced currently but perhaps I'm too bad to appreciate the deepstrike shenanigans enough for its tax.

Changeling is just a waste of points ATM despite the amazing model, sorry for the harsh words.

47 minutes ago, MitGas said:

That list is actually quite similar to the one I've fielded in my last game (no Kairos, no pinks, Tzaangors instead of Horrors but I didn't play 2k points). I'm not sure that you'd be really happy with Kairos if you go for Guild of Summoners (too much overlap now, especially if you get two LoCs out).

I've only used one blob of Kairics but had a unit of Tzaangors who are an absolute joy to use at the moment, especially if you make the charge. The Tzaangors and Enlightened are pretty killy. Kairics are a bit useless in my experience. 

I think a Sorcerer Lord on Manticore could add a lot of punch to your list if you play against fitting armies victims. Fatemaster is a solid pick, Thaumaturge is fun (but beware, he dies quicker than one expects), I find the Gaunt Summoner overpriced currently but perhaps I'm too bad to appreciate the deepstrike shenanigans enough for its tax.

Changeling is just a waste of points ATM despite the amazing model, sorry for the harsh words.

Thanks for the response.

I've been doing a lot of research since I posted and think I have a better idea of what I'm going for. I will probably stay away from GoS  and instead maybe go towards Hosts Arcanum or Pyrofane Cult, possibly Eternal Conflagration.

I didn't realize the Thaumaturge can become quite a little missile battery, so I'd probably look into including him as looking over the new preview for the next GHB those types of heroes will get some extra protection although he seems good either way.

I'm a bit torn over Skyfires vs Enlightened, but I think the big damage the Enlightened can do, especially with a save debuff, makes them pretty unique, as Tzeentch have a lot of ways of doing damage from a distance.

I'll have to get some models on the table, I haven't played Tzeentch since I shelved them in the Changehost days.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

What do you think of a Coalition Beasts of Chaos Chaos Gargant to provide Save debuff to support Tzaangors? They cost 5 points less than the Changecaster(id still probably take both though) and they just need a charge rolls to get off. They could also open up room for an endless spell by replacing Purple Sun.

Edited by Sinfullyvannila

Im surprised people aren't running more daemon focused lists- maybe the pinks are a barrier to entry but pinks with a Dameon hero nearby is -1 to hit then if you go with flamers as your damage dealer unit and have the Fatemaster (+1 wound buff) and exalted flamer (+1 attack to flamer units nearby) all of that wrapped up in the -1 rend subfaction things start getting real interesting.  Add the purple sun on top of all that (throw it into their line with arcane sacrifice) and you have a pretty potent house of cards! 

• 2 weeks later...

hello. Friend of a friend who plays tzeentch needs some help with keeping his magic in order while playing. I assume somewhere buried in this thread a solution exists, but I'm looking for suggestions for game aides for keeping track of what magic you have available. My buddy loves this army but is constantly overwhelmed with choice mainly because its not all in front of him at once. 

Ideally looking for something physical on the board to use, perhaps cool cards or RDF tokens anyone has seen?

On 2/15/2023 at 12:01 PM, Halkbat said:

Who is your favourite general for arcane sacrifice?

Ogroid can stab himself and heal from his spell so a self contained user.

Magister to get those long range chaos spawn.

Would love it on the ghaunt summoner but he is just a demon now.

Ogrois a really solid pick. Just because you don't need an additional unit and he can heal himself.

• 1 month later...

New Battletome is out, and I need some help with one of our Battle Tactics. Mass Conjuration requires casting 3 spells from the same wizard, but with the nerf to Arcane Tome not allowing us assign it to a wizard I don't see how this is feasible for anyone other then Kairos. Am I missing another artifact or command trait somewhere that would allow a third cast? 

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Tizianolol said:

Guys if I add 10 chosen in my army, can I use destiny dice on them to make a charge? 

no, the ability specifies "Instead of making 1 of the rolls from the list below for a friendly DISCIPLES OF TZEENTCH unit" so it can't be used on them since they don't gain the "Disciples of Tzeentch" keyword.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Local Tournament is over and I went 3:0.
Finished 3rd place

First game vs Bonereaper, opponent threw  turn three.

Second vs Khorne, opponent surrendered after turn two.

Third game VS Gravelords, we couldn't finish the game. We simulated the last turns for a 24:21 in my favor. 

This was my list   

Army Faction: Disciples of Tzeentch   - Subfaction: Eternal Conflagration   - Grand Strategy: Master of Destiny LEADERS
Kairos Fateweaver (440)*   - Spells: Fold Reality
Fatemaster (160)*
Gaunt Summoner of Tzeentch (230)*   - General   - Command Traits: Daemonspark   - Artefacts of Power: The Eternal Shroud   - Spells: Fold Reality   - Aspects of the Champion:  Tunnel Master

BATTLELINE
Flamers of Tzeentch (570)*   - Pyrocaster Kairic Acolytes (120)*   - Cursed Blade and Arcanite Shield   - Scroll of the Dark Arts   - Vulcharc   - 3 x Cursed Glaive and Arcanite Shield Kairic Acolytes (120)*   - Cursed Blade and Arcanite Shield   - Scroll of the Dark Arts   - Vulcharc   - 3 x Cursed Glaive and Arcanite Shield

OTHER

Exalted Flamers of Tzeentch (130)* Furies (90)*

ENDLESS SPELLS & INVOCATIONS 1 x Burning Sigil Of Tzeentch (60) 1 x Umbral Spellportal (80) CORE BATTALIONS *Battle Regiment TOTAL POINTS: 2000/2000

11 hours ago, zadok said:

Local Tournament is over and I went 3:0.
Finished 3rd place

First game vs Bonereaper, opponent threw  turn three.

Second vs Khorne, opponent surrendered after turn two.

Third game VS Gravelords, we couldn't finish the game. We simulated the last turns for a 24:21 in my favor. 

This was my list   

Army Faction: Disciples of Tzeentch   - Subfaction: Eternal Conflagration   - Grand Strategy: Master of Destiny LEADERS
Kairos Fateweaver (440)*   - Spells: Fold Reality
Fatemaster (160)*
Gaunt Summoner of Tzeentch (230)*   - General   - Command Traits: Daemonspark   - Artefacts of Power: The Eternal Shroud   - Spells: Fold Reality   - Aspects of the Champion:  Tunnel Master

BATTLELINE
Flamers of Tzeentch (570)*   - Pyrocaster Kairic Acolytes (120)*   - Cursed Blade and Arcanite Shield   - Scroll of the Dark Arts   - Vulcharc   - 3 x Cursed Glaive and Arcanite Shield Kairic Acolytes (120)*   - Cursed Blade and Arcanite Shield   - Scroll of the Dark Arts   - Vulcharc   - 3 x Cursed Glaive and Arcanite Shield

OTHER

Exalted Flamers of Tzeentch (130)* Furies (90)*

ENDLESS SPELLS & INVOCATIONS 1 x Burning Sigil Of Tzeentch (60) 1 x Umbral Spellportal (80) CORE BATTALIONS *Battle Regiment TOTAL POINTS: 2000/2000

What if anything do you use to protect the flamers? do they just teleport up with the gaunt and kill anything that would hit them back?

Gaunt teleportet and I summoned 10 Blues in between, so opponent couldn't charge the flamers directly.

I was able to kill a major thread with the flamers each game they spawned and saved them against shooting from Skullcannos and OR catapult by using destiny dice. Kairos sniped important support heroes.

And of course, the burning sigil made some lovely spawns to block movement or charges.

VS khorne, he almost had killed the flamers, but I was able to return 5 using fold reality.

Edited by zadok

• 2 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, Duke of Mousillon said:

Did you also gather experience with foot enlightened or just the disc version?

Maybe then our 20 melee weapon artifact will make sense at last.

Just the disc variant to be totally honest! 

Do you think you can pull off smth with 9 man units of Screamers for Folding Reality on them? I really want to use fold reality but I am not sure what a 9 man unit of screamers could accomplishe appart from being a worse meatshield then pinks. I suppose at least a more mobile one at that.

I suppose I could also use fold reality on a 9 man flamer unit but I do not have the miniatures to built that list really yet and I do not even know if that'd be more reasonable then doing it on screamers. 9 flamers are quite a bit more squishy then screamers. I'd probably have to invest in a gaunt summoner? Probably on Disc even? And only God knows if they are actually worth their points cost. I dont think so but might aswell be wrong. 

On 5/23/2023 at 3:51 PM, Duke of Mousillon said:

I suppose I could also use fold reality on a 9 man flamer unit but I do not have the miniatures to built that list really yet and I do not even know if that'd be more reasonable then doing it on screamers. 9 flamers are quite a bit more squishy then screamers. I'd probably have to invest in a gaunt summoner? Probably on Disc even? And only God knows if they are actually worth their points cost. I dont think so but might aswell be wrong. 

Some weeks ago I've seen a list with 9 flamers, Gaunt Summoner on foot, tunnel master and fold reality. The list finished 2nd or 3rd, can't remember. 

But the trick is obvious...