AoS 2 - Disciples of Tzeentch Discussion

Gaz Taylor

3 hours ago, Malakithe said:

I dont know why they keep jacking up all the points costs. No Tzaangor units will be worth taking and now that Acolytes lost wizard they arent worth taking either...so...business as usual I guess with Pinks the king of the faction.

Nurgle and Seraphon are two armes that was deemed unplayable and ruind befor aliance abiletys and synergis was revealed so i don't worry too much

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Fellman said:

Nurgle and Seraphon are two armes that was deemed unplayable and ruind befor aliance abiletys and synergis was revealed so i don't worry too much

Regardless of abilities no one is going to take 200+ point Tzaangors for any reason. Why do that when Pinks are way superior?

6 hours ago, Fellman said:

I don't remember many people thinking seraphon would be bad, there were some for sure but a lot of people realized how good they were as soon as they were revealed.
Nurgle ended up being better than many people thought competitively, but the army is still a slog to play with and against (which fits with nurgle's design but its a bit boring/annoying with all the bookkeeping).

Also in general aos 3 is reducing synergy across the game, there might be some more, but only since Tzaangor had basically no synergies specific to them, but the chances of them being better than the current fatemaster are incredibly low, and he won't be keeping his rerolls since they're pretty much removing them from the game entirely.

7 hours ago, Malakithe said:

Regardless of abilities no one is going to take 200+ point Tzaangors for any reason. Why do that when Pinks are way superior?

Well, to be fair, we haven't seen what they do to pinks yet. They could be nerfed into the ground so hard they never see sunlight again. Plus the box isn't necessarily a reflection of what the final rules will be in the book, I'm pretty sure they've gone both directions in the past. It sucks big time right now but maybe things will even out. Like I said before a simple combat buff could turn tzaangors around in a heartbeat. A spell for +1 attack coupled with an improved command ability from a fatemaster and some way to improve rend and they could be an absolute nightmare. No point in speculating really, it just makes everything worse.

Edited by Grimrock
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Duke of Mousillon said:

Yeah. I do not think we get new mortal models. If anything they would've been previewed today. Sadness. Maybe we will see coalition rules be playable again one day but I fear not.

Ive been playing a lot of TW3 lately and it makes me said AoS doesnt do the same things for coalition style rules. Mark of Tzeentch those new Chosen and bring them in

@Malakithe the thing is. We did have those rules! Last edition we did it all the time. Not just for me flavourfully converting stuff. Even fringe to meta somewhat. Tzeentch chaos warriors were a cheap battleline besides acolytes. Chaos sorcerer lord on manticore was a decent hero pick. I mean. All the tzeentch wins on tournaments this edition were basically Archaeon with destiny dice. Though I am not saying we should be using Archaeon. I am talking advocating for  the "normal" StD units. But they gutted our coalition system completely. Now we are the only chaos god without a mortal roster to speak off. 

If Tzaangors and Kairics are playable I'll be happy. I guess kairics were kind of playable on release, even if it wasn't the meta pick, but the rules changes and point hikes have pushed them over the edge I think. Functioning rules for cult of the transient form would be nice too, I love the narrative of that subfaction but the rules are so awful, definitely a contender for worst subfaction in the game.
In terms of coalition units until the BoC tome (and possibly even after) bray shamans and ungor raiders are still solid picks. Devolve is a fantastic spell, and ungor raiders are non GV chaff with a pre-game move.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Malakithe said:

Guild of Summoners

I am afraid that this one could be changed. When they increase the power level off Lords of Changes like they did with the Great Inneedofashower One then maybe summoning them easily or at least 1-2 of them easily would be not balancable anymore. 

Though with them taking away spell casts from the mortal side as far as we know I really hope that Lords of Change finally go up to 3 spell casts. Even with their magic centred abilities, I felt like 2 casts a turn for the greater demons of tzeentch never felt right.

• Like 2

Well....

Pretty ready for the announcement of the new Battletome to hurry up and be here lol.

In the mean time, has anyone played some games with the new Warscrolls? Any thoughts at all? I'm guessing as we don't have new rules across the board we are in that limbo bit where it's not effective... 

On 9/12/2022 at 3:33 AM, Duke of Mousillon said:

they missed summer did they not? 

Blink and it'll be gone! You're right, they're running out of time.

Woke up this morning to see a preview of the Ogor's BT and felt pretty ripped off.

I'm starting to feel skeptical about it now. The Curseling didn't get any sort of review/unveiling like the LRL hero did in the lead up to the Battlebox and now we have essentially had GW go dark on both releases. Worried it's being pushed out because there were issues with it prior to release.

All we have is the snippet of the cover, which is the Tzaangor Shaman. So I guess we might see Tzaagors get a focus? But that is 100000% speculation.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RUNCMD said:

Woke up this morning to see a preview of the Ogor's BT and felt pretty ripped off.

Yeah. That felt like an insult.

About tzaangors being a focus. I am not sure. Think the cover is only whatever fancy artwork they have that was not used before. Well probably a little more thought to it than that but I do not think it has anything to do with internal focus or balancing or whatnot.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jaskier said:

Guess we all need the Tzeentch Endless Spells now huh 😅

Not for nothing, but it's kind of a missed opportunity that they didn't make the Tzeench Endless Spell a free addition to the army (like faction-specific terrain features.) That would have made perfect sense with Tzeentch, been both thematic and unique, and would synergize well with the fact that you can cast it for free in the first turn anyway.

(Unless of course they actually do end up doing that, but I feel like they would have mentioned it.)

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, OkayestDM said:

(Unless of course they actually do end up doing that, but I feel like they would have mentioned it.)

Ai. I am also a little confused by the endless spells. It is not a useless ability but we are missing information to judge yet. If the endless spell warscrolls are not improved or the point costs dropped from what we have rn who cares really? It is not like the trouble with the endless spells were that our Lords of Change were not able to cast them reliably. The problem was they did not do enough for their points cost as far as I remember.  Although I would think the book has an upside over the other two because the book does something while out of range. I am not updated on the current battleplans. Cannot say if the other two could get into range with something on turn 0. 

• Like 1

Uuuh, i so love that lords of the silver towers ability. Not from a gameplay perspective (probably not relevant most of the time and might make them too expensive... we shall see) but it is soooo tzeentch:

"Are you SURE you want to hurt me?" mindplay incoming ;)

• Like 2

The Tzeentch Wizard +1 to cast ability from the LOC is very welcomed and hopefully there's some hosts that stack on this. Am I right in thinking that this will also apply to STD Wizards as well as they gain the Tzeentch keyword when added? My only real hope is that the LOC doesn't go up in cost because of this, which I feel they will, but I feel that if they stayed at 400 I wouldn't be overpaying for them. 

New Gaunt ability to have two units in reserve is alright, has some sound utility if applied to both Gaunt variants, spesh if Hosts Arcanum stays the same with pregame move for Gaunt on Disc but I kind of hate knowing that this will most likely replace their Arcane Tome ability.

Not sure about the Endless Spell ability atm. I guess we will find out more when the book drops in full. At face value, seems average unless the scrolls get re-written as @Duke of Mousillon touched on. 

Either way, much like the last book, it's going to have it's ups and downs, smiles and frowns. Least we get it soon :D 

Edited by RUNCMD
spelling

Well, the Great Unclean One got an enormous facelift into a 500 point profile. The big question for a while has been whether the other greater daemons would get the same treatment, and at first glance making the LoC's command ability now just an always active ability that also confers it an entire spell lore is a pretty big indicator that will be the case. I fully expect a more expensive but even more dominant caster with improved combat stats, and I'm all for it. 

• Like 1