AoS 2 - Hosts of Slaanesh Discussion

Gaz Taylor

Holy excess...140 US for the KoS? GW must be having a laugh...

EDIT: I am even more pissed than I was when I first saw this. It is literally the same size/base as the LoC but they are charging us $25 more just for fun. I was so ready to make a huge order at my LGS and now I am not going to bother. The Fiends are reasonably priced for their kit size, so it's clear they just went for a cash grab with the KoS. Old GW isn't completely dead it seems.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, Unit1126PLL said:

It says "units of Daemonettes" in the Revellers battalion - does that mean a Herald counts, having the Daemonette keyword, or does that wording really mean units of daemonettes?

Heralds arent in that battalion, its 2-6 Daemonettes, 0-4 Hellflayers, Fiends or Exalted Chariots. I think the bolding means the Hellflayers and Exalted Chariots get the bonus through the Daemonette keyword

4 minutes ago, Aenjul said:

Anyone notice, or am I missing something - we don't have any mounted Heralds on Steeds anymore? 

Heralds on steeds are gone as they didn't have a specific model for them. That said we can now take Heralds on all 3 versions of chariot - seeker, hellflayer and exalted. 

Hellstriders maybe not that bad?

Hear me out here. They lost their -1 to hit bubble sure, but lets be honest it was really strong. They did instead get +1 to their save. So they are 2 wounds with a 4+ save thats the same as chaos warriors. Chaos warriors are 90 points for 5, these guys are 100 points for 5.

What do you get for the extra 10 points?
You get a massive 14" move, you get 1 extra attack and you can re-roll charges. Plus if they kill something they get an extra attack for each of their melee weapons next time.

The other benefit is that you either get a -1 rend on their claws or a massive 3" range on their whips. If these guys are in the seeker battalion they can pile in from 6" away so you could keep them sitting behind your daemonettes or a chariot or hero and then when the enemy charges in and fights these guys can just whip them from 3" away without any fear of retaliation. Granted they only get 1 attack each with the whips but its still something.

Honestly though these guys are just way better chaos warriors and they're battleline so they can fill that slot for cheaper than daemonetts.

I wouldnt tell people to go out and buy these guys, definitely not, but if you already have a few like me, I wouldnt just throw them away, they can still be useful especially since you can buff them with mortal chaos abilities.

13 minutes ago, Overread said:

The other side of the Fane shows that the portal effect has a clear cut out for the head to slot into, so assembling it without the face might require a bit more work to achieve. 

The fane would look much better without the portal and the daemon head imho. We would just have to cut out the demon head with an X-acto knife, and then add a few bits here and there to customize it.

If someone wants to put the portal effect but without the daemon head, they can replicate the normal side of the portal with blue stuff (or any other mold material) and some green stuff.

12 minutes ago, Argonoch said:

Hellstriders maybe not that bad?

Hear me out here. They lost their -1 to hit bubble sure, but lets be honest it was really strong. They did instead get +1 to their save. So they are 2 wounds with a 4+ save thats the same as chaos warriors. Chaos warriors are 90 points for 5, these guys are 100 points for 5.

What do you get for the extra 10 points?
You get a massive 14" move, you get 1 extra attack and you can re-roll charges. Plus if they kill something they get an extra attack for each of their melee weapons next time.

The other benefit is that you either get a -1 rend on their claws or a massive 3" range on their whips. If these guys are in the seeker battalion they can pile in from 6" away so you could keep them sitting behind your daemonettes or a chariot or hero and then when the enemy charges in and fights these guys can just whip them from 3" away without any fear of retaliation. Granted they only get 1 attack each with the whips but its still something.

Honestly though these guys are just way better chaos warriors and they're battleline so they can fill that slot for cheaper than daemonetts.

I wouldnt tell people to go out and buy these guys, definitely not, but if you already have a few like me, I wouldnt just throw them away, they can still be useful especially since you can buff them with mortal chaos abilities.

This is fair but chaos Warriors also might be the worst pointed battleline in the game, so it’s hard to get excited when a unit clears the low, low bar of being better than them.

1 hour ago, Colonel Cabbage said:

Heralds arent in that battalion, its 2-6 Daemonettes, 0-4 Hellflayers, Fiends or Exalted Chariots. I think the bolding means the Hellflayers and Exalted Chariots get the bonus through the Daemonette keyword

Take with a grain of salt dark artisan says the 0-4 hellflayer and exalted are key word. So you can run herald version in battalion. Wont knkw for sure until you have the book.

4 hours ago, Overread said:

One thing I'm a bit disappointed and confused  on is hellstriders. The Twitch video said they split them so they could give them different abilities and points, yet their abilities, stats and points are identical. The only difference is the weapon which they could easily have covered with a single warscroll and just alternate weapon options.

The other issue is that the weapons are nearly identical.

Hellscourge - 3 inch range and no rending

Clawspear - 1 inch range and -1 rending. 

Otherwise attacks, damage, rolls etc... are all the same. It seems really odd because the clawspear is going to come out on top most times unless you're taking a lot of riders. 3inch range is nice but the -1 rend is going to be better most times (again, unless in large groups). It just surprises me that they made them separate and then basically wound up with only a casual difference between the two rather than a more major reworking to make them distinct units with highly varied roles. 

Pretty sure they did it so it is less obvious that Slaanesh has by far the fewest options of any of the 4 gods. If you think about it, we have 6 warscrolls from 1 kit (chariots), likely for the same reason. GW decided not to bother with a mortal Slaanesh release and didn't want to expand the Daemon side beyond adding heroes. Thus they needed to do something to make the army seem more diverse than it actually is. 

If you got to the store and count how many unique "unit" or "hero" kits we have the number you will reach is 11. 

Compare to:

Tzeentch: ~20
Khorne: ~30
Nurgle: ~20

This is basically "half a release" for an army that has been largely neglected for 20 years. It sucks, but it is the reality. GW doesn't want to invest in Slaanesh because they are afraid the army won't sell well. (That said, the army has effectively always been neglected which one could argue might be a cause for selling poorly. Bit of a paradox)

3 hours ago, The Golem said:

The fane would look much better without the portal and the daemon head imho. We would just have to cut out the demon head with an X-acto knife, and then add a few bits here and there to customize it.

If someone wants to put the portal effect but without the daemon head, they can replicate the normal side of the portal with blue stuff (or any other mold material) and some green stuff.

The KoS kit looks like it has spare heads, which may fit instead of the one in the fane kit - assuming they are the same size.

57 minutes ago, themortalgod said:

Pretty sure they did it so it is less obvious that Slaanesh has by far the fewest options of any of the 4 gods. If you think about it, we have 6 warscrolls from 1 kit (chariots), likely for the same reason. GW decided not to bother with a mortal Slaanesh release and didn't want to expand the Daemon side beyond adding heroes. Thus they needed to do something to make the army seem more diverse than it actually is. 

If you got to the store and count how many unique "unit" or "hero" kits we have the number you will reach is 11. 

Compare to:

Tzeentch: ~20
Khorne: ~30
Nurgle: ~20

This is basically "half a release" for an army that has been largely neglected for 20 years. It sucks, but it is the reality. GW doesn't want to invest in Slaanesh because they are afraid the army won't sell well. (That said, the army has effectively always been neglected which one could argue might be a cause for selling poorly. Bit of a paradox)

I don’t think that’s the reason. Prosecutors got split it two as well based on weapon options and sce have loads of warscrolls.

Yes, I suspect GW are wary of the sales numbers - they will have years of data to base what they invest their capital in. There’s a reason wrath and rapture had khorne in it.

But I don’t think they care how many warscrolls are in the book. It doesn’t add value. It’s just a bit easier to understand.

if they’d called it ‘Daemons of Slaanesh,’ no-one would bat an eyelash there weren’t mortals in the book. There’s no hard and fast rule each army must have equal number of kits (poor fyreslayers and ironjawz if there were). The investment in this release is clearly massive, the models are gorgeous and the army sounds really different and interesting to play. 

Been doing some math on Daemonettes (in the Epicurean Battalion) vs. Bestigors (obviously in a Depraved Drove Battalion) and the Bestigors generate more raw wounds but the Daemonettes have reasonable MW output (roughly 10 MWs per activation with another 20 wounds before saves). Still torn on which direction to go and then of course figure out which heroes to slot in (Epitome, Enrapturess, KoS, Herald on Exalted, and Sorcerer Lord all look like great choices).  

1 minute ago, SwampHeart said:

Been doing some math on Daemonettes (in the Epicurean Battalion) vs. Bestigors (obviously in a Depraved Drove Battalion) and the Bestigors generate more raw wounds but the Daemonettes have reasonable MW output (roughly 10 MWs per activation with another 20 wounds before saves). Still torn on which direction to go and then of course figure out which heroes to slot in (Epitome, Enrapturess, KoS, Herald on Exalted, and Sorcerer Lord all look like great choices).  

I think a big thing here is that the KoS command ability only affects hedonites so the daemonettes can pile in twice but the bestigored can't.  

Hmm, I'm really having problems writing up a list here. Lots of things are looking great, but having limited battleline and always wanting to take daemonettes in groups of 30 is taking a massive chunk out of the available points, and then being really hero focused is tricky... I'm thinking something like this:

KoS
Exalted on chariot
Epitome 
enrapturess
- hero battallion

2x30 daemonettes
1x5 hellstriders (trying not to need 90 daemonettes haha)
1x3 fiends

Which leaves me at 1950. Note quite enough for cogs or the mirror which would gel really well with the Epitome (thanks to the reroll spells). It could slot into pretenders or godseekers easily enough. What is everyone else thinking? 

Just now, Enoby said:

I think a big thing here is that the KoS command ability only affects hedonites so the daemonettes can pile in twice but the bestigored can't.  

Yeah that's a major part of my consideration, Daemonettes are of course slower and less durable than Bestigors but have bravery 10 and the occasional banner recursion. 

1 minute ago, Enoby said:

I'm thinking KoS heavy and use depravity points to summon. Have an epitome and infernal enrapturess around too to ensure you can summon.

forgot about the enrapturess, might ditch soul'ess if I have to so I can get her in

Got salty again, I apologise but I THINK I found a cure. 

https://www.google.co.uk/search?source=hp&ei=w-LEXLOtD-HjkgWNt46ADA&q=chaos+lord+of+slaanesh+warscroll&oq=chaos+lor&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.35i39j0i131j0j0i20i263j0j0i20i263j0l4.69.1204..2012...0.0..0.51.388.10......0....1..gws-wiz.....0..0i67j0i131i20i263.j_o9xzMqY28

The warscrolls for the chaos lord on foot and daemonic mount is STILL UP. Found them through google, it's the first two links GRAB THEM NOW. 

If you are playing with friends, I think they would be more than happy to let you use the warscrolls/old points or perhaps people can convert their own lords. I already downloaded them. 

Archived