AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

On 6/23/2021 at 5:46 PM, Agent of Chaos said:

I am actually considering Korghos for the first time. As you say his command ability has more value and as its an aura means those units effected can still benefit from All Out Attack etc. The 8" pile in stops Unleash Hell and Finest Hour helps to ensure his axe hits home. He needs more attacks but we have ways to make that happen 🙂

Excellent points, I'm gonna bust him out and paint him soon.  Skar Bloodwrath too.  He can score us a Blood Tithe, pop up later to score an objective unsuspectingly, and die again to score another Blood Tithe point....rinse and repeat.

• Like 1

Looking to add a monster or two to my Khorne Mortals.  The Chaos Lord on Manticore seems like a good hammer (with a lance); would it be dum to take a Slaughterbrute along with him?  Are those just so terribad they should be used for conversions only?  They don't look great on paper but maybe with the new monster rules?

28 minutes ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Excellent points, I'm gonna bust him out and paint him soon.  Skar Bloodwrath too.  He can score us a Blood Tithe, pop up later to score an objective unsuspectingly, and die again to score another Blood Tithe point....rinse and repeat.

I've used Skarr quite a bit along with a Bloodforged battalion, but I think the most I've ever gotten off him is one death and a resurrection in the late game. In theory he could die quite a few times, but in practice it takes a few attempts to roll that 8+ and your opponent doesn't usually try to give you free blood tithe by attacking him directly. Still a solid little model though, and he can do some shockingly high damage to small based chaff/screen units. I think his biggest strength is when he does eventually die he forces your opponent to stick to their objectives for the rest of the game. If they step off and he respawns he can just pop up and steal it from them. Given that losing our battalions killed all incentive to take any of the deathbringers or the skullgrinder, I'd definitely rate him as our best combat hero by far. 

32 minutes ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Looking to add a monster or two to my Khorne Mortals.  The Chaos Lord on Manticore seems like a good hammer (with a lance); would it be dum to take a Slaughterbrute along with him?  Are those just so terribad they should be used for conversions only?  They don't look great on paper but maybe with the new monster rules?

I've wanted to run a Slaughterbrute for a really long time but never thought they were worth it. However at 165 points with all the new abilities I'm seriously considering it... The biggest trick for Khorne is having to take an expensive StD master that can keep up with the brute. Like you said though, maybe taking a lord on manticore and having the two run around could be solid, or maybe a lord on karkadrak? It'd certainly look thematic having a great powerful chaos lord running around with his faithful murder dog the size of a house. 

Murderdog!  That will be it's name henceforth.

I'd love to start list building but too early I guess.  There will probably be some rules in there that haven't leaked which could affect things....like maybe they're adding the who-can-attack to be similar to 40k, thus avoiding the horrible coherency actions of 10 32mm based units.

This is gathering steam in my head:

Goretide

165  Korgos Khul

135. Mighty Lord of Khorne 

125. Bloodsecrator

85.  Bloodstoker

630. 3x10 Blood Warriors (2 units w gorefists, 1 w double axes)

410. 2x5 Skullreapers 

110. Khorgorath

200. 2x Mindstealer Sphiranxes

Not the most super powered army but if the cats can do their thing turn 2 after positioning whilst a Vanguard lets Goretide Blood Warriors run and charge to speed bump somebody (Goretide BWs can do that right?).  

could drop the Khorgorath in this build for a slaughterpriest and net another battalion.  Guess going for the extra enhancements is the way to go?  

• Like 1

On 6/24/2021 at 10:46 AM, Agent of Chaos said:

I am actually considering Korghos for the first time. As you say his command ability has more value and as its an aura means those units effected can still benefit from All Out Attack etc. The 8" pile in stops Unleash Hell and Finest Hour helps to ensure his axe hits home. He needs more attacks but we have ways to make that happen 🙂

Is this the general consensus regarding command abilities with auras? So we can still combine Rejoice in the slaughter and Leave none alive? 

14 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

I like Skarr a lot. His ability to res is really helpful and actually puts some pressure on your opponent to decide to attack him or, move a unit off an objective or not. I have had games where people deliberately refused to attack him due to the res ability and went for the wrathmongers instead, who could hit after death due to skarrs ability. In other games he has ressed in the opponents backfield allowing me to summon a unit of fleshhounds or worse. The new unit coherency rules make his special attack awesome as he will have more targets. Also the model is ace!

I can confirm manticore lord with sword and Lance is a deadly glass cannon with the right build. Or was in AoS 2. I am not sure if the synergies work now ie new the foe and gorecleaver in the Lance for 7 damage on a charge at rend 2. He dies to a stiff breeze though and has no ability to support our troops.

8B703EE9-EC62-4D00-AEC0-80FDFB15806F.jpeg

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Praecautus said:

I like Skarr a lot. His ability to res is really helpful and actually puts some pressure on your opponent to decide to attack him or, move a unit off an objective or not. I have had games where people deliberately refused to attack him due to the res ability and went for the wrathmongers instead, who could hit after death due to skarrs ability. In other games he has ressed in the opponents backfield allowing me to summon a unit of fleshhounds or worse. The new unit coherency rules make his special attack awesome as he will have more targets. Also the model is ace!

I can confirm manticore lord with sword and Lance is a deadly glass cannon with the right build. Or was in AoS 2. I am not sure if the synergies work now ie new the foe and gorecleaver in the Lance for 7 damage on a charge at rend 2. He dies to a stiff breeze though and has no ability to support our troops.

8B703EE9-EC62-4D00-AEC0-80FDFB15806F.jpeg

Manticore Lord actually really shines. All out Attack/All out Defense as well as the Heroic Action that gives him a combat bonus, all make him even greater than before. +1 to Hit/ +1 Save are strong buffs and always welcome as they make our damage output more reliable. Especially when buffed by the Bloodstroker, which will also make the wound rolls much more reliable. Manticore Buff in the current StD Tome was already a really nice thing to receive

• Like 1

The Manticore Lord with Hew the Foe, sword, lance and Gorecleaver hits much harder than a Bloodthirster. I'm pleased to be able to give him a 3+ and more options for a 6++. His warscroll command is still awful, but his points reduction is impossible for me to ignore...

• Like 1

Looks like there's maybe a universal artefact now that could give a hero a 5++, though that would prevent the Gorecleaver-lance from happening.  

Who thinks we'll get a new Khorne tome this year?  I'm thinking it'll be next year as we're last on that daily 'how's your army faring this edition' series.

To come back to the topic of a Slaughterbrute: They are not terrible but the profile is simply not good enough. They should have either higher damage or more attacks...or both. For the points, 2 Khorgoraths seem like a better deal to me.

About the new tome...I would be glad if we would get some love. During 2.0 we received some model updates (Flesh hounds, Karnak and Skulltaker) and terrain+judgement. While better than nothing, Khorne could really profit from some rework/update like Slaanesh had. 

I hope that GW will go from micro-armies and armies that only cover certain roles more into a full range of units for each factions. Khorne could use some shooting and flying units.

Guess we have the Skull Cannons ....they're not super awful, but they need to be like the Ironblaster and have a closeup shotgun type of ammo, or rerolls to hits if a hero is nearby or something.

But alas, no flying, except Bloodthirsters (furies don't count).  Valkia needs a flock of her own; I could see her coming up in the ranks to fight the likes of that new Stormcast archangel lady.  

I'll just take 2 Khorgoraths.  They're pretty solid.  Maybe a reinforced unit of 2.  

21 hours ago, Roark said:

The Manticore Lord with Hew the Foe, sword, lance and Gorecleaver hits much harder than a Bloodthirster. I'm pleased to be able to give him a 3+ and more options for a 6++. His warscroll command is still awful, but his points reduction is impossible for me to ignore...

It was your posts on this topic from much earlier in this thread which put me onto the manticore lord. He’s been a blast to play in AoS 2 and I hope he still can in AoS 3.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Praecautus said:

He’s been a blast to play in AoS 2 and I hope he still can in AoS 3.

With additional generic commands (including self-healing), Hero + Monster, and a points reduction in contravention to increases across the board, I think his situation is vastly improved. 🙂

• Like 1

I think Khorne and other Chaos factions may want to bring a Spawn or two now... Just thought today that such throw aways may be good for preventing Unleash Hell scenarios where a shooty unit can blast apart our special units (like the Manticore Lord).  

Gotta do some playtesting today I think.

Goretide Bloodsecrator can fire off units of bloodreavers to eat shots while stronger units move into position. Also thinking about Furies who can move in the Combat phase—thinking they can charge a screen and then Cower toward a shooting unit. They won’t stand up to anything, but they can maybe force an error.

When i read again : the blood blessings are to be chanted at the start of hero phase(in the tooltip of each blood blessing) and the regular prayers of the new core rules are to be chanted during the hero phase. In my subjective head it sounds like we can still do both with our slaughterpriest can't we ?

12 hours ago, TimeToWaste85 said:

Anyone using Scylla? Dispel, unbind, and an 8” pile-in is hard to come by these days. He’s a brute. 

I don't like the model but he's like a faster khorgorath with different abilities. Could be fun with korghos khul to p*ss off of enemy use of unleash hell.

Edited by Perturbato
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Perturbato said:

I don't like the model but he's like a faster khorgorath with different abilities. Could be fun with korghos khul to p*ss off of enemy use of unleash hell.

I hate the current model myself, but I really liked the previous version. Build it up on a pile of rocks and give it a 50mm base, good to go. 

ok, so wrathmongers can buff ranged attack (maybe FAQ incomming), priest can chant blessings at start of hero phase and prayers during hero phase, and juggement follow the other invocation rules : only priests can dispell it and they stay at the end of round. We don't know if we have to choose between prayers and invocation.

And we can take BoC units to add a few versatility to the army !

Edited by Perturbato
  • Like 2