Age of Sigmar: Second Edition

I think it might help Tzeentch but it might not as it will be easier to have multiple small wizards/leaders with unbid to have a shot at unbiding DoT spells even more through units like Spellweaver or new SCE mage with auto-unbid, or Deepkins with multiple mages in Ionarch enclave. Not to mention Nagash who will be able to shut down DoT. 

Also other changes which are likely like rolling for 1st turn instead of drops will nerf Changehost and Skyfires got some huge nerfs with no shooting out of combat and Look Out Sir ! rules so I guess so far it's mixed bag for DoT. 

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Enoby said:

I'm a little worried that the 30" dispell will make it so I never get to successfully cast one of the new infinite spells, but I think that comes mostly from having the special talent of rolling very low on casting rolls. I'm like anti-Nagash. 

I suspect that endless spells will be bought as part of your army and deployed rather than cast. One spell per army limit.

11 hours ago, TheOtherJosh said:

They add additional variables that, as a general, you need to compensate for in your path towards victory.

Thing thing is there is nothing to compansate with. If you roll a pro shoting terrain and my army is shoty and yours falls apart when your support characters die, no tactic is going to save you. Same with the undead+shysh example, may as well not play the game at all, because the result is going to get skewed.

Objectives, dynamic or not, secret or not. Objective points that are revealed turn 2-3 from a pool of fake ones. Those things require, adjusting tactics etc. One army getting super buffed does not help. Not to mention those moments when the terrain doesn't help either of the players and is just there to roll more dice. I know that there are people in to dice ******, but not everyone is like that.

5 hours ago, Sleboda said:

2 hours ago, Mcthew said:

If GW are going for variety and cinematic gameplay then they’re heading in the right direction. Sure, some of these spells will throw balance into the bin, but for inventiveness and excitement (even when you’re at the punishing end of this spell in particular) you can’t help but admire it.

Where is the exiting part in every army needing, if this kind of meta would actually exist, a double screen of skinks or something skin like.  It warps the game actually. Do you like when one army can unbind everything and have massive number spells of their own, so that every other army stops using casters, because A they won't get any spells themselfs and B the number of spells the opposing side can cast makes any points spend on unbiding units wasted.

I don't think such stuff is good for the game.

48 minutes ago, Karol said:

Do you like when one army can unbind everything and have massive number spells of their own, so that every other army stops using casters, because A they won't get any spells themselfs and B the number of spells the opposing side can cast makes any points spend on unbiding units wasted.

@Karol do you take no shooting because your opponents has more? Do you take slower units  because your opponent has faster ones? Do you take units that are poor in combat because your opponent has better ones? 

If you can’t unbind all of your opponents spells then this introduces some tactics to the game. You have to dispel those which are most important rather than them all, you also have to accept the fact that their magic phase will have some effect on you. Beside that if they can attempt to dispel each of your spells you have choice. Do you maximize your wizards positions to prevent unbinding yet remain in an effective range to utilise your spells?

While I can be very critical of things in our game I do believe that all the changes we have seen previewed are for the best and are improving our game. Once everything is revealed and understood we can be more critical as we will then know how everything interacts. Now is the time to enjoy the hype and get ready for the new edition.

1 hour ago, Karol said:

Where is the exiting part in every army needing, if this kind of meta would actually exist, a double screen of skinks or something skin like.  It warps the game actually. Do you like when one army can unbind everything and have massive number spells of their own, so that every other army stops using casters, because A they won't get any spells themselfs and B the number of spells the opposing side can cast makes any points spend on unbiding units wasted.

Isn't that Seraphon's Slann Mage Priest  whole thing? Board wide magic denial. 

11 hours ago, Sleboda said:

May I have your baby? Lol.

Seriously. Meta. People are overly misusing it soooo much that I fear it will probably become ok, like "ain't."

If I rubbed a lamp and got three wishes, one would be to annihilate all the Kool Kids who misuse "meta."

Don't hold back, tells how you really feel....?

There seems to be a big assumption that these rules-tweaks and introductions are for matched (competitive) play only.

As mentioned by someone in a previous thread, competitive play forms about 20% of GW’s AoS audience. It a was a reason why WHFB collapsed and was replaced by something where flexibility and fun is king, introducing Open and Narrative play.

True enough, these new rules are a headache for players slavishly poring over the balance in the AoS Force, but for most players it adds another layer of interest that doesn’t get in the way of the enjoyment.

As a point of interest, my favourite game in the last 6 months has been a last stand against a massively superior force, just to see how long I could hold out for. I was gonna get beat, but who cares? We all get beat someday.

And if we do care so much about being beat (and honestly, I’ve had one meltdown around a serious amount of unlucky dice-rolls) then perhaps voting with your feet is in order? Personally - and this is down to what you get out of AoS - I rather like what has happened in the game.

Every game I play in this universe feels like it’s brand new.   The day I don’t learn anything from it is, or ceases to engage me the way WHFB did in the end, is the day it goes in the loft or on eBay.

12 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

+++MOD HAT+++

I've just removed a number of comments that weren't related to the new edition of AoS.  Please keep this topic on focus.

Back on track - we're getting realm artefacts!  These two are from Ulgu

AOSFFDoK-May23-BetrayersCrown13lt.jpg

AOSFFDoK-May23-SwordJudgement12gi.jpg

Where did you get this

5 hours ago, Karol said:

I've been seeing this sentiment quite a lot lately. I don't see a problem with the extra dispel range. It all comes down to this; don't try to beat your opponent at their own game.

If you're fighting Nagash or Tzeentch or Kroak don't try to fight magic with magic. Your wizards will never out-magic theirs. Focus on what your army excels at especially if that counters wizards and magic. If you're shooty, shoot the wizards. If you're melee, race over and chop them wizards up! Better yet combine fast units with deep striking units to assault from multiple angles. Prioritize wizards that have damaging spells and that you can realistically kill.

If your army has spells you have to cast then you'll need to be very careful with your wizard deployment. Find casting buffs of your own. It may even come down to changing how you play and which units you field. None of this is a problem! It's just playing with your toys in new ways! ?

Ultimately, this is the point I'm making.  We should all be looking for new ways to play. If, at the end of June, you are playing the exact same list in the exact same way you are playing now, then GW failed (a little bit) with the release of 2nd Ed. ?

To be honest....I'm really less focused on what the rules of AoS 2 will be but think more about the setting or 'feel' of the Mortal Realms.

I understand many complain that AoS has a comic book or deviantart look to it with its larger than life, colorful stormcasts a stark contrast to the muck and grim of the Old World, but I don't want to see AoS sliding back into that mire 100%. I feel like with MP and some recent art we may be going that way. However, the Deepkin seem to bring the color, so perhaps all is not lost.

For my gaming dollar, the cover to Silver Tower still encapsulates what's best about AoS. Bold, heroic characters fighting against a tide of dark denizens. I do see this cover as a good balance between the He-man vibe and the sickness of classic Warhammer.

pic3061864.jpg

23 minutes ago, kuroyume said:

That won't work as well when the wizards will have penalty to be hit, while being free to snipe your own heroes with spells.

To paraphrase a famous smuggler: “Hokey magic and Ancient Religions are no match for lots and lots and lots of missile weapons or attacks at your side kid...”

(Sometimes referred to as the “the person who rolls the most dice likely succeeds in their action rule.”)

26 minutes ago, Mr. White said:

To be honest....I'm really less focused on what the rules of AoS 2 will be but think more about the setting or 'feel' of the Mortal Realms.

I understand many complain that AoS has a comic book or deviantart look to it with its larger than life, colorful stormcasts a stark contrast to the muck and grim of the Old World, but I don't want to see AoS sliding back into that mire 100%. I feel like with MP and some recent art we may be going that way. However, the Deepkin seem to bring the color, so perhaps all is not lost.

For my gaming dollar, the cover to Silver Tower still encapsulates what's best about AoS. Bold, heroic characters fighting against a tide of dark denizens. I do see this cover as a good balance between the He-man vibe and the sickness of classic Warhammer.

I agree 100%!  I don't want to see the muck and grimdark of the old world in AoS.  I was attracted to the heroic fantasy and larger than life realms.  

17 minutes ago, stickybluetoffee said:

Funny that these two artefacts are basically taken nearly 1:1 from the Daughters of Khaine faction :D
The Crown is the Medusa shooting attack but with less range and the sword is a DoK artefact too. 

10 minutes ago, chord said:

I agree 100%!  I don't want to see the muck and grimdark of the old world in AoS.  I was attracted to the heroic fantasy and larger than life realms.  

In my opinion there is nothing wrong with a bit of both - different people have different preferences and AoS is a big enough place for varied genres.

8 minutes ago, michu said:

In my opinion there is nothing wrong with a bit of both - different people have different preferences and AoS is a big enough place for varied genres.

but the heroic material has dried up.  

Archived