Age of Sigmar: Second Edition

41 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

Interestingly they've removed the information regarding what could be fielded at 1600 points.  Suggests to me that either they shouldn't have revealed it - or they got it wrong (which has happened in the past).

One thing the StD/EC post has done is highlight that we're going to get some warscroll changes, something I genuinely wasn't expecting.  This does give me some hope that this could be commonplace and identify some of the units that we feel have issues.

What did it include for 1600 points? I’m super keen to actually use varanguard lol

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Jagd said:

What did it include for 1600 points? I’m super keen to actually use varanguard lol

wasn't to specific as I remember. Just said a couple of Varanguard units with archon equals 1600 pts leaving 400pts for Slaves to Darkness allies.

59 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

One thing the StD/EC post has done is highlight that we're going to get some warscroll changes, something I genuinely wasn't expecting.  This does give me some hope that this could be commonplace and identify some of the units that we feel have issues.

My gut feel is that they're not going to make any significant warscroll changes and most likely will only be changes required to accomodate changes in the core rules.

For example, Archaon I would probably guess won't have his command ability changed, but moreso will clarify what his command ability actually does. For example, if command abilities cost command points (possibly a variably amount depending on how powerful it is in the game), then I could easily see all the changes on Archaons scroll amounted to

Warlord without equal: This command ability costs 2 command points. If Archaon uses this ability, all other CHAOS units in your army that have a command ability on their warscroll can immediately use them in the order of your choice without paying any command points.

Is it a warscroll change? Yes, but I doubt we're going to see a re-balancing effort or making warscrolls more in line with their role/fluff.

I can see them taking the opportunity to tweak a number of warscrolls that they don't think quite work, Archaon/Varanguard etc.  I'm not convinced we're going to get command point costs for all command abilities though.  I think we're more likely to get something like your general being able to use theirs every turn and you can then use D3 others (or Inspiring Presence units instead).

What's amazing is that we only have to wait at most 2 days before we find out some more :o

1 hour ago, RuneBrush said:

I think we're more likely to get something like your general being able to use theirs every turn and you can then use D3 others (or Inspiring Presence units instead). 

I've seen this kind of thing a few times - is there any basis to the idea behind the 'rain' of stacking command abilities?

My interpretation of "any hero can now use a command ability not just your general" is just that - in your hero phase, pick a hero, use command ability.

I still like it, it frees up general choice where you, say, want a specific battleline (granted by a general) and a different command ability for example.

You're going to be able to spend command points to use command abilities. Cast spells from spell lores and buy artifacts. The artifacts unlocked during the malign portents campaign are going to be included in one of the new books. Probably the battle tomes for the harbinger factions that are coming out later.

11 minutes ago, Turragor said:

I've seen this kind of thing a few times - is there any basis to the idea behind the 'rain' of stacking command abilities?

My interpretation of "any hero can now use a command ability not just your general" is just that - in your hero phase, pick a hero, use command ability.

I still like it, it frees up general choice where you, say, want a specific battleline (granted by a general) and a different command ability for example.

There's a bit of reading between the lines. 

Currently we know:

1. Command points being added
  2. Archaon's Command Ability has not changed (allows heroes to use their CA's)
  3. Any hero can use a Command Ability, not just your general

In the current ruleset the rule is written that your general may use one CA in their hero phase.  Because of these, we can deduce that either there is some form of limitation (e.g. command points) to point 3. or point 2. is a lie and Archaon's CA allows you to use a CA more than once per turn.

8 minutes ago, HollowHills said:

You're going to be able to spend command points to use command abilities.

To my knowledge that's not yet been confirmed (even though it is the most likely option!)

I'm currently weighing up whether to wait for the new edition box, or to buy either Blightwar or the original starter set. My son has got big into Stormcast (he's only 7), and whilst I'd quite like the Nighthaunt, picking up the older boxes and selling on the other factions might be very cost effective. Have I missed the news around the size/contents/rough matched play value of the AoS2 box yet? 

15 minutes ago, syph0n said:

I'm currently weighing up whether to wait for the new edition box, or to buy either Blightwar or the original starter set. My son has got big into Stormcast (he's only 7), and whilst I'd quite like the Nighthaunt, picking up the older boxes and selling on the other factions might be very cost effective. Have I missed the news around the size/contents/rough matched play value of the AoS2 box yet? 

The original box is a bit weird in its composition but the amount u get for the money is superb value! Then again im sure the new box will be just as great, from the rumors it might even be better!

If money isnt an issue I would suggest getting both! The first box will give your sone a great start for his Stormcast, and the second box will expand that as well as give you those lovely Nighthaunt!

45 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

Currently we know:

In the current ruleset the rule is written that your general may use one CA in their hero phase.  Because of these, we can deduce that either there is some form of limitation (e.g. command points) to point 3. or point 2. is a lie and Archaon's CA allows you to use a CA more than once per turn.

To my knowledge that's not yet been confirmed (even though it is the most likely option!)

I see, thank you.

I think if you decouple command points (or strategy points) from command abilities then my guess (any 1 hero can use 1 ability per hero phase) is probably close enough. It doesn't really take into account Archaon. His ability wouldn't really need changed - this is something I hadn't considered.

However, if there is a resource cost per ability then your logic pans out.

33 minutes ago, syph0n said:

I'm currently weighing up whether to wait for the new edition box, or to buy either Blightwar or the original starter set. My son has got big into Stormcast (he's only 7)

All three of the boxes will give you Stormcast, but each of them is a different type (or ‘Chamber’ of Stormcast.

The original starter is the base ground forces. (Liberators/Prosecutors/etc.) This set has at least one less than Matched Play minimum size unit.

Blightwar gives you the “Farstriders” a fast moving SCE Chamber.

And the new Nighthaunt starters rumored to give you the Artillery/Wizard Stormcast.

(And they all give armies for them to play against.)

1 hour ago, syph0n said:

If cost is a factor you might be better off waiting for the next box, I see a lot of enthused gamers because of night haunt. If he's seven, show him the pictures I guess. Do you want the magic user or the knights. You'll sell the other half no problem. (In holland at least, your location might be a factor ;) )

1 hour ago, RuneBrush said:

Currently we know:

I'm relatively confident that this is how it's going to work. But no nothing has been confirmed officially. 

Ironjaws update on WC shows a little of the cinematic spells. They will be moved around on the battlefield and inflict effects/damage they either move across or are within a certain range of.

I guess they will last different amount or turns, maybe random. I wonder HOW they are moved though, if its just freely moved up to a certain distance or if it must be in a straight line or at least with restricted turning.

4 minutes ago, Attackmack said:

Ironjaws update on WC shows a little of the cinematic spells. They will be moved around on the battlefield and inflict effects/damage they either move across or are within a certain range of.

I guess they will last different amount or turns, maybe random. I wonder HOW they are moved though, if its just freely moved up to a certain distance or if it must be in a straight line or at least with restricted turning.

I hope they preview a spell warscroll soon as that would give us a better idea of how they work. The balewind vortex has a warscroll, but its a scenery warscroll, new ones could be the same and describe movement with in the rules, or maybe we get a new type of warscroll with a movement characteristic. I doubt there will be wounds as I doubt they will be able to be attacked, but I hope there's some kind of dispel mechanism.

9 minutes ago, bsharitt said:

I hope they preview a spell warscroll soon as that would give us a better idea of how they work. The balewind vortex has a warscroll, but its a scenery warscroll, new ones could be the same and describe movement with in the rules, or maybe we get a new type of warscroll with a movement characteristic. I doubt there will be wounds as I doubt they will be able to be attacked, but I hope there's some kind of dispel mechanism.

edit. thats not what you wanted it is 

AoSFFIronjawz-May17-RaveningHunger4g.jpg

Hi, I have a quick side question you can probably answer: 

ive been saving my money and intending to buy the original AoS starter set - the one with stormcast and Blades of Khorne. Now there’s talk of a new AoS set coming out, do you think the original one will still be available? Or do I really have to get my skates on and buy it before it disappears? ?

3 minutes ago, Redbaron said:

Hi, I have a quick side question you can probably answer: 

ive been saving my money and intending to buy the original AoS starter set - the one with stormcast and Blades of Khorne. Now there’s talk of a new AoS set coming out, do you think the original one will still be available? Or do I really have to get my skates on and buy it before it disappears? ?

It'll be available till it sells out. I know non GW stores keep stuff till sold generally. 

Archived