Age of Sigmar: Second Edition

So they did do a wrap up of the elves(but didn't do wanderers separately). Idoneth Deepkin will be the last faction focus, so no mention of Greenskinz who I think are the only playable faction(i.e. both battleline and leaders) that didn't get even a combined faction focus and I don't even know if they got a shout out in any of the orc or goblin articles that the giants and trolls got.

Not much new info in the article, just more hints of price drops. I was hoping for a hint of new allegiance abilities for some of them in the GHB(they said existing stuff would remain, but didn't exclude the possibility of new ones).

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I super hate that all elves has their dragons and wanderers dont have forestal dragon neither twilight sisters. I own both, super cool miniatures, and I hate that feeling of "outdated" they have by been only in the wood elves compendium... not to mention Orion that is now the avatar of the hunt, but for this I can pass because of the world that was, but cant understand why all can have their black dragons, coldones, hydras, phoenix, hawks, and wanderers can't have dragons. If they are nomads its easy to pack and move with a dragon!!

Yep as usual, the receipe is the same: add few items, reduce some points blablabla.

Aelves are in a sort of Order Big  Soup actually....that seemed to work lately (win of tourneys...). So, why not, but some miniatures show they age compared to recent productions...

The Aelf faction focus is a scar from the early days of AoS. 

Everything scattered into subfactions (although thematic) that are too small for their own good. 

Should GW ever manage to turn these into "proper" factions, they'd end up with 40 or so battletomes, which is too much if you ask me... It brings back flashbacks from the overload of 40k formations at the end of 7th. You could just make your own warscrolls/formations then and nobody would know for sure if they actually existed, there was just too much stuff. 

So, GW has the opportunity to do:

Legions of Greens

Legions of Dwarves

Legions of Ogors

Legions of Aelves

Legions of humans(?)

With many of units already existing, just rebox+rebase and few additionnal nice (read: BIG) foes to be on par with actual factions. It should be great in my opinion. And not super expensive to to for GW with a nice revalorisation of oldies.

I would like to see a battletome: Free cities instead. 

One where you can combine from these smaller subfactions to your hearts content, but which will have battletraits focused on the realm the city is located in... A type of "create your own city theme in realm X" book. 

1 minute ago, Elmir said:

One where you can combine from these smaller subfactions to your hearts content, but which will have battletraits focused on the realm the city is located in... A type of "create your own city theme in realm X" book. 

This is the thing I would like to see too. A battletome of the free cities with all subfactions. And of course with the forestal dragons of wood elves... I'm starting to hate all other elves that have all their ancient toys

8 minutes ago, Elmir said:

This is such a good idea.

I thought we were going to see something similar to this in the form of Firestorm, but it was just a campaign book. I'd really love to see a book about free cities with some rules. Think of what they did for Freeblades in 40k, you can make your single knight super unique. I still plan to do an order army that is old compendium troops but just taken at random to give a feel of combined people fighting against chaos.

25 minutes ago, Hoseman said:

This is the thing I would like to see too. A battletome of the free cities with all subfactions. And of course with the forestal dragons of wood elves... I'm starting to hate all other elves that have all their ancient toys

Technically, this is basically what the Order Warband tables from Path to Glory did. (If you combined that with the Firestorm campaign you’d be right on point.)

16 minutes ago, Thebiggesthat said:

Oh man, I really hope that turn priority isn't a roll off ?

I wanted to run a battalion and this makes it so poor 

If I were a betting man I would say it's going to be roll off with +1 for the one who sets up first

20 minutes ago, Thebiggesthat said:

Oh man, I really hope that turn priority isn't a roll off ?

I wanted to run a battalion and this makes it so poor 

It is.

I did hear/read that you get +1 to finishing first though? Take that with a grain of salt.

I'm happy about it, tbh.

Edit: @Kramer you ninja!

9 minutes ago, Mayple said:

It is.

I did hear/read that you get +1 to finishing first though? Take that with a grain of salt.

Winning a tie if you finished deploying first would make more sense.  It solves the issues of ties - which a +1 to the roll does not.  It also fits right in with the mechanics for determining turn priority in later turns.  The winning ties rule means that you never run into a case where the priority roll has to be rerolled.  If you add modifiers then you still have the possibilities of rerolls.  So in that regard winning ties is simply a more elegant rule.

4 hours ago, Attackmack said:

She looks like a typical tribal warrior from Warhammer, your clearly having issues with something else here.

Can't typical warrior women in Warhammer look like baristas?

11 minutes ago, Mayple said:

It is.

Doesn't this create a problem for lower count armies. They will get the +1 to roll, but the chance to lose it is still there, and if they do not get the turn sequance the way they want, it can be a big problem.

1 hour ago, GeneralZero said:

Yep as usual, the receipe is the same: add few items, reduce some points blablabla.

Did you expect them to make sweeping changes to the war scrolls?

Did you expect them to introduce a new game mechanic within a faction focus?

3 minutes ago, Karol said:

Doesn't this create a problem for lower count armies. They will get the +1 to roll, but the chance to lose it is still there, and if they do not get the turn sequance the way they want, it can be a big problem.

It might so, but said armies will have to plan accordingly! The rush for winning the first turn by single-dropping a couple of battalions to secure the first turn is one of the worst aspects of AoS at the moment. I say that 'worst' very lightly, as there's very little about AoS I don't like, and it doesn't bother me that much!

The fact it's going is good. It'll lead to a much wider variety of armies, whilst still rewarding those who deploy first.

9 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

Winning a tie if you finished deploying first would make more sense.  It solves the issues of ties - which a +1 to the roll does not.  It also fits right in with the mechanics for determining turn priority in later turns.  The winning ties rule means that you never run into a case where the priority roll has to be rerolled.  If you add modifiers then you still have the possibilities of rerolls.  So in that regard winning ties is simply a more elegant rule.

True I personally love the excitement of a tie and why take exciting rolls out of the game? 2 or 3 ties in a row in a priority roll is always memorable :D Love those. Also the impact is a bit bigger, so I wouldn't call it a more elegant rule, it's a game decision: how big of an advantage do you want to give the player, and do you want a streamlined game with less rolls. But again that's a personal preference, but now we started the conversation I think the first houserule is born here ?

6 minutes ago, Karol said:

Can't typical warrior women in Warhammer look like baristas?

What do you mean by low count armies? In the current edition, some armies delibaretly go for fewer drops to guarantee control of the turn order, which backfires on them if they don't get it (since they weakened themselves for the advantage)

Armies that have no choice but to go low-drop (who would that be?) shouldn't suffer as much. They're already bringing all they have; they bring their full strength to bear regardless of turn outcome.

I'm  badly arguing hypotheticals here, since I don't actually know what low-drop armies you're referring to :o Help!

Anyhow, I think the 'wins ties' makes sense, as @Skabnoze said. 

As an Order Serpentis army owner, I'm happy with points drops if they're meaningful. I've got a variety of lists between 750 points and 2000 pure Order Serpentis now, so if I can bring allies in because of the value drops, that's very helpful. 

I would be pleasantly surprised if it came off the hydra and dragon as well as the drakespawn. However I don't see it happening. 

12 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

The woad/tattoos is to try and make Stormcast less "faceless warriors" and more identifiable that they have their own sub-structures, opinions and thoughts.  The background and stories make quite a point of defining each Stormcast as an individual with strengths and weaknesses and this is the artwork and miniatures starting to catch up with it.

i'm late on this one but I really like the new cover. Part of the reason I (and I suspect a lot of players) didn't like Stormcast was because they were faceless, like you said. Pretty much every unmasked SCE has looked better than the others.

2 hours ago, GeneralZero said:

So, GW has the opportunity to do:

Legions of Greens

Legions of Dwarves

Legions of Ogors

Legions of Aelves

Legions of humans(?)

With many of units already existing, just rebox+rebase and few additionnal nice (read: BIG) foes to be on par with actual factions. It should be great in my opinion. And not super expensive to to for GW with a nice revalorisation of oldies.

I forgot to add 

Legion of Skaven

Archived